[3.Tomefinder] Beer & Pretzels PbP Recruiting

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

radthemad4 wrote:That looks mostly alright.

Your Acrobatics skill is still using Str where it should be using Dex, and still you have 3 more skill ranks to place. I'll assume your Climb skill represents your Athletics skill. Btw, minor thing but you get a +2 to Grab On Maneuvers from 5 ranks (2 PF ranks) in Climb.

You also get one free Handy Haversack and one free Bag of Holding. You could still go with some Ant Haul potions if you want.
Weird. I clearly remember manually deleting all but the 5 skills I bought, but the skill section reverted. This time I stuck the 5 skills below the regular PF stuff.

With the magic bags, I can carry hundreds of pounds of rope and lantern oil without worrying about carry capacity. Maybe I'll dig up another good potion instead. Vanish is okay, but concealment from my fighting style is almost as good.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Well, with a potion of ant haul I suppose you could strap a ton of heavy materials to yourself and then grab on to an enemy so that they collapse from the weight.

Btw, guys, you can reroll your 2nd Hit Dice. If it isn't higher the second time, increase it by 1.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Damn, there's so many character concepts I want to try out. Each feat I read is a whole character to buid around... but there is one in particular I am building around

Gymnos Defence: [Combat]
You fight best when not weighed down by armour. Or clothes.
Requirements: Human or Raised by Humans

Benefits: when effectively nude, you gain an Armour Bonus equal to your Strength modifier or BAB, whichever is lower.
+1: when effectively nude and oiled up, you gain Damage Reduction equal to your Con modifier + Str modifier, overcome by Adamantine.
+6: when you are clad in little more than a light oil coating, spellcasters tend to get distracted, and must make Concentration checks when casting spells at you (DC 15 + Spell Level + your Str mod), otherwise the spell fails and is lost. You may generate a "Suggestion" effect once per day as an Extraordinary ability by flexing your muscles as a Standard action (DC 10 + half HD + Con)
+11: you gain the benefits of Evasion, Improved Evasion and Mettle when fighting in the buff, however you must use an Immediate action to flex your muscles to do this.
+16: you may generate an Ironskin effect once per day (Ex) and a Stoneskin effect once per day (Ex), each with a caster level equal to your BAB.

Awesome Blow [Combat]
You teach people how to fly.
Benefits: This is a combat feat that scales with your Base Attack Bonus.
+0 You gain a slam attack that deals damage as a creature of your size. If you already have a slam attack it's damage is increased by one size category.
+1 As an attack action you can make an attack awesome blow. If it connects, in addition to damage, your opponent is sent flying a number of squares equal to your strength modifier and must make a reflex save (10+1/2HD+Str) or be prone. The distance is halved if they are one size category larger than you, and you can't use this at all on creatures two or more size categories larger than you. If they impact with an object they take 1d6 damage per character level. This also deals the same amount of damage to the object. If this is enough to destroy the object they go flying through it and their flight continues on unimpeded.
+6 Awesome blow can now be done as part of a a charge. If you do so you can double your effective strength modifier for the purpose of distance.
+11 Opponents hit by your awesome blow must now make a fort save (10+1/2HD+Str) or be stunned. Additionally, if you charge first your strength modifier is now tripled for the purpose of distance.
+16 Now you can slam your opponent into the ground or uppercut them in to the air. If you knock them upwards they fly a number of squares equal to your strength modifier and you can designate one square within 60 feet for them to land in. Falling damage applies as usual. If they have a fly speed they don't have to come down (provided they aren't stunned). All creatures adjacent to where they land are automatically knocked prone. If you slam them into the ground, your opponent takes immediate damage as if they had collided with an object. All creature on the ground within 30 of the impact zone must make a reflex save (10+1/2HD+str) or fall prone and become stunned. You can choose to exclude creatures from this effect. Also if you charge your Str modifier for the purpose of distance is quadrupled.

Weapon of Righteous Destruction [Combat]
Your hands make whatever is being held by them holy
and on re. For some reason this doesn't make them
melt or burn up.
+0: Whatever weapon you are wielding is considered
Magical (+1/3 bonus/level) in addition to any other
properties that it has. Your unarmed attacks, even
if not procient, count for this eect.
+1: The above, plus Flaming**.
+6: The above, Holy instead of Flaming.
+11: The above, plus Sun weapon, Fort save. (BoG)
+16: The above, plus Vorpal weapon (BoG).

**Mind if I substitute "flaming" for "Lightning"?

Human Monk1/Barbarian 2

STR 20
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 18

Fighting style: GET READY TO DIE!!
-slam attacks ignore hardness and DR
-slam attack does piercing damage and inflicts 2 points of Constitution damage.

Feats from:
http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=54 ... sc&start=0
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51037
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I vote you go full luchadore.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

In fact, Ogre, get a cloak of arachnida or something so you can conjure ropes to bounce off of.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

ubernoob wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:I vote you go full luchadore.
I'd this going to become a thing now? What have I started.
Something awesome.
OgreBattle wrote:**Mind if I substitute "flaming" for "Lightning"?
Go ahead.

Okay, so that's four almost done. Still waiting on Cynic and Grek.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

What feats/class/magic loincloths would let me suplex people into the ground for massive damage, and potentially leave them with only their feet sticking out of the man-sized hole they are now inside of?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I still have to make a character myself. It's been a busy week, but I might be able to pull a skeleton together tonight

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'll go with Spellcraft. Also for Knowledge Arcane.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Nice combo, OgreBattle! Looking forward to seeing your character in play.

I recommend enlarge person potions if you want something that helps suplexing people into the group, the size and reach bonuses are great for combat maneuvers.
EDIT: the potions in Red_rob's system have a CL equal to your level, you can grab a stack of 10 enlarge persons for 1k GP
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

OgreBattle wrote:What feats/class/magic loincloths would let me suplex people into the ground for massive damage, and potentially leave them with only their feet sticking out of the man-sized hole they are now inside of?
Other than enlarge potions, you can take a Magic Loincloth (Wondrous Belt) with an enhancement bonus to strength.

Lift + Coup De Grace would make a great suplex.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Red_Rob wrote:Buff stacking
Even with the above change, characters still gain as many 3rd level potions and scrolls as they want once they hit mid levels. Currently this means that everyone in the Wish Economy gets up and drinks Caster Level 20 potions of Mage Armor, Darkvision, Protection from Arrows, Nondetection, Water Breathing and Endure Elements for breakfast, to enjoy the all day goodness these spells provide. Once things actually look like happening the potions of Heroism, Flight, Protection from Energy and Blur come out. And that's just from the PHB, once you add the Spell Compendium into the mix it gets even crazier. This cavalcade of buffs makes tracking bonuses a nightmare, and rewards those that trawl the spell list for more buffs to load into potions. To combat this I propose the following rule:

A character may only be under the effects of a number of spell levels of [Harmless] spells equal to their character level. Equipment attuned to a character counts as that character for this calculation. Additional spells cast upon them fail as if they had failed to penetrate spell resistance.

This rule limits characters to 2 level appropriate buffs, or some combination of smaller ones. It also means that potions no longer stack infinitely with cast buffs, and should limit the amount of bookkeeping needed in high level games.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Pathfinder adds Dirty Trick to the list of special combat actions. How about a [Combat] feat for them?

Dirty Rotten Tricks [Combat]
That's just unsportsmanlike.
Benefits: This is a combat feat that scales with your Base Attack Bonus.
  • +0: You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when performing a dirty trick.
  • +1: You may perform a dirty trick as an immediate action.
  • +6: The effects of your dirty tricks last an extra 1d4 rounds.
  • +11: Your dirty tricks require a Standard action to remove rather than a Move action.
  • +16: Add the following to the list of conditions you can cause with a dirty trick: on fire, nauseated, or confused.
Also, for the Combat School feat, I would like to be trained by the Imperial Battle Circus. Their special school weapons are the Warhammer (aka giant mallet), Battle Ladder, Hot Custard Pie and Whip. The Hot Custard Pie is functionally identical to Alchemist's Fire in cost, damage, range, etc. but much more amusing in appearance.
Last edited by Grek on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

ubernoob wrote:Red Rob's system for potions just seems to be "have money buy potions"

Doesn't even use up a slot. Wands/staffs take up a slot and get 15/7 casts per day for level 1 and 2 spells respectively.

So why would we not start with stacks of protection from evil/shield/enlarge person?
Well...
Tome Items wrote:Buff stacking
A character may only be under the effects of a number of spell levels of [Harmless] spells equal to their character level. Equipment attuned to a character counts as that character for this calculation. Additional spells cast upon them fail as if they had failed to penetrate spell resistance.

This rule limits characters to 2 level appropriate buffs, or some combination of smaller ones. It also means that potions no longer stack infinitely with cast buffs, and should limit the amount of bookkeeping needed in high level games.
Also, it's rad's game and he can run it how he wants, but the intention for level 3 characters was 8,000gp in gear or 2 Lesser items, those being equivalent market value. I just included both options for people who wanted the simpler BoG "only track items" or the more detailed WBL.

I have been rejigging the WBL tables somewhat and these will be updated in my forthcoming revision, it shouldn't affect any games in play but it gives a smoother progression than the current one.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Yeah but "Shield / Enlarge Person / Protection From Evil" is 3 spell levels and players are starting at level 3.

The actual reason to not use potions constantly is that the game gets silly and also it's crazy for bookkeeping. You just have to have a Gentleman's Agreement to not use potions like water and stick to some sort of happy middle-ground.

Also, stacking on a million small buffs is kinda bullshit, which is what spell level based limits do. The limit should probably be a smaller "you can be affected by 1 potion per 3 levels, rounded up, at a time. Extra potions just don't work if you drink them.", which encourages people to stick to just a few effects they care about.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Grek: Sure, that seems okay. Wondering what a good way to resolve Dirty Tricks in Tome would be...

Perhaps Touch Attack followed by d20 + Dex Mod + BAB against a DC of 10 +Opponent's BAB + opponent's reflex save bonus

Red Rob: You said equipment attuned counts in maximum spell level in buffs. What's the equivalent spell level of a Lesser Equipment bonus?
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

One potion at a time is fine with me.