It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I feel you for the most part (I am likely one of the fetishists/swingers that you are complaining about, however). I stopped looking for women on Tindr when I realized that as batshit crazy as I am, I'm still saner that most unmarried women my age (feels too creepy to hit on younger women, don't have enough in common with most older women). Haven't tried Grindr, but the gays/bis on Tindr are either gym rats or very unattractive (no one in the middle)

Mostly, I like being in a committed relationship with one person, but I also like to have occasional casual sex with my friends. And was hoping I could see two chicks going at it in real life for a change.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

It's funny how sometimes it's the li'l things that strike you as poignant. I was reminded that Eve Online is free to play these days so I decided to check in on my old account in the first time in over a decade but to do so I had to go through account recovery to get back a username I couldn't remember via an embarrassingly named email address I no longer regularly use. Turned out my username is also an in-joke I had (almost) had forgotten about and seeing it again reminded me of being an idiot in my early 20s who lived with his best friend in a shitty apartment that was located disastrously close to all the cheapest bars. I think I might have been even dumber than I remembered. I kinda miss it.
bears fall, everyone dies
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I FINALLY got my computer up and running! Now I can play naked Skyrim just like the rest of the free world! My life is now meaningful!
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Whipstitch wrote:I was reminded that Eve Online is free to play these days so I decided to check in on my old account
All that existential stuff is great and all, but the real question is: since starting race used to not matter, did your Alpha clone end up with missiles or drones?
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

drones, obvs
bears fall, everyone dies
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

My internet is properly working again, so now I can visit here/various other places, instead of being reduced to playing Skyrim or something.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

So, this is a rhetorical question, but why can't hurricanes be 8 hours of without vital utilities followed by two weeks of lethal winds instead of the other way around. It would be more fun that way.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Because of a little thing called cause and effect. The high winds are what cause the utilities to go out.

The real fun is the post disaster logistics of people who have damages to their homes and vehicles are trying to find hotels and rental cars in the area, meanwhile local, state and FEMA are throwing several people out into that area that need rental cars and hotels to stay in while they work.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

hyzmarca wrote:So, this is a rhetorical question, but why can't hurricanes be 8 hours of without vital utilities followed by two weeks of lethal winds instead of the other way around. It would be more fun that way.
The lethal winds prevent getting the utilities fixed, so it would be 2 weeks and 8 hours without vital utilities.

That's why the 1997 UTILITIES Act requires all hurricanes to follow the current normal of either
1) up to and including 2 weeks of storm followed by up to 3 days of flooding and shut-off utilities; or
2) Light rum, dark rum, a minimum of 2 citrus juices, and garnish.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

And my own post, as a reminder to myself that I inhabit a hell dimension.

I got to attend a jury duty empaneling yesterday. Out of about 60 people who were interviewed to determine eligibility as a juror (both defense and prosecution can choose to remove people due to them being biased against their case, or their likelihood of causing a mistrial by violating the accused's rights), about 40 said the police shouldn't be held to a lot of rules while investigating crimes. Over half said they would, even if the judge ordered them not to, use evidence shown to be obtained illegally to determine guilt or innocence. As the police around here are known for planting evidence, that's a great start. There were also at least half who would hold it against the accused if they exercise their 5th amendment rights (which is super illegal), about 10 of whom said they would vote to convict solely on that.

And that's how I, the guy who described (on the form they have you fill out) watching police kill one of my neighbors among other bad experiences with police, and had heard police coaching each other on how to lie in court, nearly got chosen to be one of the 3 people out of 60 chosen for the jury. The quarter they narrowed it down to were brought in for individual interviews, and it may have been the lack of sleep in the last few days or 9 hours without water, but I could tell from the look in the lead prosecutor's eyes that they wanted me to say I would not be biased against police testimony. Either because most people in the room were going to cause a mistrial by ignoring the law, or because she was afraid they'd skin her for the crime of being a woman with a job. But I'd like to believe it's because my honest answer to "what is the first thing you think of when you hear defense attorney?" was "My Cousin Vinny?". Again, sleep deprivation mixed with a want to be honest.

edit: I'm mostly just surprised with the literal ranting vehemence of their defense of their beliefs. I mean, I'll admit I'm a bit nuts, but I'm not going to be a dick saying everyone should have the same opinion about cops being murderers.

Little surprise the people helped elect one of these, and will elect the other soon: https://www.texasobserver.org/trump-dec ... on-tirade/
Last edited by Iduno on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

After just over 11 Years, i have today had my last day at my current job . .
Feels . . kinda strange to me <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:After just over 11 Years, i have today had my last day at my current job . .
Feels . . kinda strange to me <.<
Congratulations.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Thanks.
Starting new Job at 11.19.2018 for roughly double pay and 2 more days of holiday.
It will be pretty damn hard because i will be going from 35 hours a week to basically 45 hours a week (8 hours work and 1 hour break every day) and also i will need to try and survive early shifts that start at 6 in the morning x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:6 in the morning
Is that a German thing? Since when is there a 6 in the morning?

Nah, I'm kidding. I've accidentally been up still at 6 in the morning.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:Thanks.
Starting new Job at 11.19.2018 for roughly double pay and 2 more days of holiday.
It will be pretty damn hard because i will be going from 35 hours a week to basically 45 hours a week (8 hours work and 1 hour break every day) and also i will need to try and survive early shifts that start at 6 in the morning x.x
Good luck! If you don't mind me asking - how much will you earn now? My only scale for denners is Frank getting unlimited doctor money.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I don't mind sharing salary information.

According to my 2017 W-2, I earned $72,032.02 last year. Through October 13th (paid through date on my last paycheck) I had earned $61,074.45, which puts me roughly on track with last year. I work as a Relationship Manager for large customers that accept credit card payments, specializing in the government and higher education markets. I started with my current company in 2009 after leaving GEICO. I had to take a significant pay cut when I switched industries, but I'm probably making more now than I would have if I stayed at GEICO. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Relations. It's not diamond-studded toilet paper money, but I feel like I'm doing alright. My wife also works.

Although we're making more than we've ever made before, combined, we have practically nothing in savings and have significant debt (including student loans and a car payment). The cost of raising three children, even modestly, is...excessive. I'm hoping that neither of us lose our job; once all three kids are in school we should really be in a position to pay down all the debts and have a chance to move up out of the middle-middle class. None of those are guarantees - my company just laid off 1% of its workforce and a large portion of my total wages is based on performance incentives which could change at any time with or without notice.
-This space intentionally left blank
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Man, I would love to make $72k. My wife & I jointly make about $40k (after taxes). Hell, if my engineering position started my pay at $50k instead of $35k, I would've been completely debt-free a year ago (instead of just as much in debt as when I started)...
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Iduno
staying up till after 6 in the morning is not a problem for me either <.<

@Longes
Starting salary will be 2600€ / month and 2 more days of holiday per Year.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:@Iduno
staying up till after 6 in the morning is not a problem for me either <.<

@Longes
Starting salary will be 2600€ / month and 2 more days of holiday per Year.
Congrats on the salary upgrade! I earn 2k per month (after taxes) as an IT consultant. Clearly deaddmwalking is the monopoly man among us.
Last edited by Longes on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Thanks! But my 2.6k is before taxes and everything. Not sure what, exactly, i am looking at realistically in terms of actually appearing on my bank account . .
And yes, so it would seem o.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Disaster relief work here.

Last pay stub shows just under 40k after Uncle Scam takes his ~30% of my check. Last check was bigger than a "normal" check but not as big as they are going to be for the rest of the year (2 week check for 95 hours right as the shit hit the fan, whereas I'm doing 72 hour weeks so 144 hour checks)

In the event I ever had a full year with nothing at all happening (so no Overtime or shift differential) I'd make $49.2k before taxes.

Quick napkin math shows ~3.5k paychecks for the rest of the year unless by some miracle the 72 hour work weeks fall off.

Come March though I do foresee myself looking for new work.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

My salary is pretty good when you take into account that I'm batshit insane (and not in a marketable way). Let's just leave it at that.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

So I got rear-ended on the highway last week in a hit-and-run. They totaled my car, and I only have 4 months left to pay off the car.

Haven't fully looked yet, but I'm suspecting I'm just going to try to get another Prius. The fact that a car would need to be like $5k cheaper at minimum to offset the gas efficiency is a huge factor.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Depending on the state in which you live, coverage for uninsured motorists may be included as part of your collision coverage, or may be a separate coverage listed.

If you have insurance, you shouldn't have to pay more than your deductible. Since you were making payments, you're required to have insurance, so this should all be taken care of.

Keep in mind that you can negotiate with your insurance company. You're typically supposed to receive the amount of money that it would cost to buy your vehicle (PRIOR TO THE CRASH) from a private party. I'd check online ads for the same year/make/model with similar miles in 100 miles of your area. If they offer you $5k less than people are asking, you show your adjuster those ads and tell them that you'd like to get closer to to the cost to get your same car on the road. You're not supposed to profit - you can't get more than your car would cost, but you shouldn't get significantly less, either.
-This space intentionally left blank