Princes of the City: Anyone Want to Bite?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Do we want to make a move on the Museum Burglar? Ia could scry on her and we might be able to locate her via GPS coordinates or scent.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Anyone else want to issue orders to servants/leave messages/take care of some final business before turning in for the day? Everyone should have time to get back to their own havens.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Players? It's a new night.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Ancient History wrote:Players? It's a new night.

Sorry. My neighbor moved out and abandoned her cat, which is apparently now mine. Between that and work, haven't had much time to think about the game.

I shall post now.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Uh...congratulations to your new feline overlord?
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Ancient History wrote:Uh...congratulations to your new feline overlord?
He's a good kitten. Calm, quiet, easily amused by a ball on a string.

My only complaint is that I'm constantly cleaning kitty litter off of my smartphones.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Pics or it didn't happen. :)
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:Pics or it didn't happen. :)
Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQlkv7ZrjfU
Ancient History
Serious Badass

All due apologies for the frigid pace this weekend, I am up and down between Florida and Georgia like a whore's drawers. Game resumes Monday-ish. Maybe share what you've learned so far?
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I've got some tehcnomancy related questions.
[ 2 ] Burnout [ Guide To The Camarilla -- Page 104 ]

It's usually easier to destroy than to create, and sensitive electronics are no exception to this rule. Burnout is used to cause a device's power supply, either internal or external, to surge, damaging or destroying the target. Burnout cannot be used to directly injure another individual, although the sudden destruction of a pacemaker or a car's fuel injection control chip can create a definite health hazard.
Can I blow up vehicles?
[ 4 ] Remote Access [ Guide To The Camarilla -- Page 105 ]
This power may be used on any electronic device within the character's line of sight.

5 ] Telecommute [ Guide To The Camarilla -- Page 105 ]
A progressive derivation of Remote Access, Telecommute allows a thaumaturge to project her consciousness into the global telecommunication network, sending her mind through satellite uplinks and ISDN lines and fiber-optic phone cables at the speed of light. While immersed in the network, she can use any other Technomancy power on the devices with which she makes contact.
If I possess a camera via telecommute, can I use Remote Access on devices it can 'see'?

For full context
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Can I blow up vehicles?
Maybe!
If I possess a camera via telecommute, can I use Remote Access on devices it can 'see'?
Sure.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Taking out the fuel injection system will probably just stop the car. Without the control chip the fuel pump would just stop, and the engine would get no fuel. If somehow you were able to lock the fuel pump on, it would most likely flood the engine, preventing combustion.

Which you really want to do is ramp up the voltage from the alternator into the battery, as high as you can. Car batteries use a solution of 30% sulfuric acid as an electrolyte. Running too much electricity through the battery causes the water to break apart into hydrogen and oxygen (yay, electrolysis) When you have an explosive mixture of gases in a sealed container, of course, bad things can happen. Batteries generally have valves or openings to allow these gases to be released. But if they're created fast enough, like say due to an idiot intentionally using too much voltage to charge the battery, those measures can fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_TnsHu2u4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yogKzxgGLU4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHhBdAzG6eM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyhiILV77RM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpQeDcEpEn0

Of course, the damage wouldn't be Hollywood explosion level without giant coincidences. But it would throw sulfuric acid all over everything under the hood.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Well, that's still pretty awesome. Is it possible to pop the hood technomantically?
Ancient History wrote:
Sure.
Awesome!

Guys, if you end up in a situation where Technomancy could come in handy (e.g. fleeing vehicles), give Seth a video call. The die could still fail, but worth a shot nonetheless.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so Kel's been asked by a gangrel to help him end his unlife at the end of the week. Death in combat sort of thing.

Traditionally, this would be single combat, so using Ursula, while an option, because there's no real regulation, isn't exactly above board. Unfortunately, Kel isn't built for combat. Hell, he doesn't even have firearms. My best option would be using Biothaum and Vicc on myself, but unfortunately, Vicc will turn Kel into a glass cannon, and I need two more dots of Biothaum to be able to use it on vampires. My next option would be Subsume the Spirit to puppet Ursula, and technically be meeting the letter of the challenge. Unfortunately, I need two more dots of Animalism for that.

So, given that Kel can't really gun down a higher gen gangrel, possess his combat monster, or buff himself with Vic and Biothaum, anyone have suggestions?

I mean, "to hell with the traditions, imma bring a bunch of guys with barret light fifties" is always a good backup, but I'd like to try to meet the spirit of the challenge first.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

If he wants to die is he really going to fight that hard or is this more of a ritual? Are we sure he's that badass?

Cheats: LIE and say you are possessing your bear.
Do you have enough Vicc to let someone else take your place? Ia could probably win a duel. Or similarly Ia stands on the sidelines and assists using telekinesis.
I believe Max has a way to prevent you frenzying so you could bring an ass load of fire.

Not cheating: If you havent already agreed decline the duel.
Turn yourself into a glass cannon and we find some ways to make sure you hit fast and hard enough to win before you break. Blood isn't really an issue so you could spend a lot pumping your attributes.
With Friend of the Trees you can kite him? Maybe.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

He'll probably fight on instinct. He'll go all out, except that he'll probably be low on blood.

Appearance alteration is Vicc1, so that's possible, but I'm hesitant to let someone else go in on their own, since the prize is the gangrel's blood.

I suppose what I can do is Vicc myself 2 more soak, lowering my strength, then pump blood into my physicals, prioritizing stamina to survive. If someone's has instruction and firearms, I can do some training with them and show up with a big ass gun to use while I'm pouring blood into stats.

I'm supposed to meet him at his cabin, which means he may have things set up like Friend of the Trees. I can probably draw him into more favourable ground though simply by not showing up.

Using fire may be my best bet. If I can walk in with flares and drive him into rotschreck that could work in my favour (though it will definitely piss him off if he manages to resist, since he wants to go out with honor, and pissing oneself in fear is not honorable).
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Just slugging it out with a gangrel is likely a bad idea. Protean and Fortitude is super underwhelming as far as clan disciplines go but unlike in nWoD they do actually provide some bennies and if he's got a pile of Fort on top of decent natural stamina then you can expect him to pull your face off in a fair fight. Max has decent melee pools and might be able to take him via Perfect Clarity and One-Track minded but VTM combat can be pretty swingy and I'd rather not put it to the test. Using fire is a mixed bag. If you fight in the open it's likely to make him reflexively run away and if you have him cornered he'll just use the frenzy bonus to beat on you.
bears fall, everyone dies
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Prak wrote:He'll probably fight on instinct. He'll go all out, except that he'll probably be low on blood.
Then he will not be able to heal much if at all so thats in your favor.
since the prize is the gangrel's blood.
The gangrel wants to be diablerized? Thats hardcore.
I suppose what I can do is Vicc myself 2 more soak, lowering my strength, then pump blood into my physicals, prioritizing stamina to survive. If someone's has instruction and firearms, I can do some training with them and show up with a big ass gun to use while I'm pouring blood into stats.
It's all about the dex + shotgun and dragonsbreath rounds.
I'm supposed to meet him at his cabin,
Whoa fuck that. Neutral ground. This could so easily be a trap for our sheriff.
Using fire may be my best bet. If I can walk in with flares and drive him into rotschreck that could work in my favour (though it will definitely piss him off if he manages to resist, since he wants to go out with honor, and pissing oneself in fear is not honorable).
I was thinking more like a freaking flamethrower. Great for killing vamps but if a vamp wields it they're just as likely to rotschrek. Especially when other stuff starts catching on fire.
If he is planning on fighting to the death he will just spend willpower to resist the fear. I was hoping this was more of an arena type event where Max could be watching and use his power to keep you from frenzying saving you willpower. Speaking of willpower you'll probably have to use it liberally.
but VTM combat can be pretty swingy.
Yeah but it sounds like Prak wants to beat relatively fairly.

Ia can cast Donning the Mask of Shadows on Kel.
Guide to the Camarilla p. 110
This ritual renders its subject translucent, her form appearing dark and smoky and the sounds of her footsteps muffled. While not true invisibility, the Mask of Shadows makes it unlikely to be detected by sight or hearing. Individuals can only be detected by a Perception+Awareness roll with a difficulty of 9 or with a power (such as Auspex) that can pentrate Level 3 Obfuscate. The ritual lasts a number of hours equal to the successes rolled when cast or until voluntarily lowered.

So if he doesn't have a lvl 3 or better Auspex you can probably get the drop on him.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

There's a Dark Circle lying around in Elysium. Should we just leave it unattended? Should we show it to Hermes, or would letting him know that someone was able to get in and plant a circle there be a bad PR move? Also, we should probably boost Elysium security.

Btw, almost forgot about our Supernatural Companion
Supernatural Companion wrote:You are allied with a supernatural being, but not a vampire. This may be a werewolf comrade, the ghost of a relative, or even a friendly mage. You may ask for her help in times of need, but she may not always be able to help. She may also require your help at inconvenient times (such is the cost of friendship). lt is highly improbable that your allegiance is looked on favorably by her kind, and any Kindred who discovered your relationship would almost certainly disapprove. The Storyteller will create your companion, be it werewolf, wraith, mage or something else entirely, and won't reveal her full capabilities.
Are you building them AH, or should we build them? If we're building them, what're the chargen rules?
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak wrote:Ok, so Kel's been asked by a gangrel to help him end his unlife at the end of the week. Death in combat sort of thing.

Traditionally, this would be single combat, so using Ursula, while an option, because there's no real regulation, isn't exactly above board. Unfortunately, Kel isn't built for combat. Hell, he doesn't even have firearms. My best option would be using Biothaum and Vicc on myself, but unfortunately, Vicc will turn Kel into a glass cannon, and I need two more dots of Biothaum to be able to use it on vampires. My next option would be Subsume the Spirit to puppet Ursula, and technically be meeting the letter of the challenge. Unfortunately, I need two more dots of Animalism for that.

So, given that Kel can't really gun down a higher gen gangrel, possess his combat monster, or buff himself with Vic and Biothaum, anyone have suggestions?

I mean, "to hell with the traditions, imma bring a bunch of guys with barret light fifties" is always a good backup, but I'd like to try to meet the spirit of the challenge first.
Go with intellectual combat, rather than physical. I think that Tracker , would appreciate that. If he wants to die with honor, not slaughter someone much weaker than himself. There's no honor in slaughtering someone who doesn't stand a chance.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Stan could Majesty Tracker, if the specific nature of the ritual combat needs to be redefined. Other than that he'd go with townies with shotguns.

RE:Elysium: I say our characters pull up roots and relocate E. to somewhere hopefully not compromised. If looking at other holdings, there's the Safehouse near the airport, which has some security measures and ordnance in place, but mainly benefits from being anonymous, and is at least 1-2 characters' current resting place. There's also the Tower downtown, which both has a better penthouse setup for meeting NPCs and could more reasonably be guarded by humans with guns, but the lower floors are rented out, which could lead to a fairly large Masquerade breach. Kel's Manor is another holding, and is more isolated than the previous, but in that case I'd really like Prak to give it a map location. (If anyone else felt like placing stuff left unplaced on the map (the top 2-4 items in each category), or moving what was approximated, I'd be tickled pink. Other than ignoring things like where contacts sleep, I've been keeping it up to date.)

RE:Supernatural Companion: I thought Whipstitch suggested and Rad OKed a Mummy with a trinket creation focus. That sounds great to me.
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Shady314 wrote: I was hoping this was more of an arena type event where Max could be watching and use his power to keep you from frenzying saving you willpower. Speaking of willpower you'll probably have to use it liberally.
The moon is still mostly dark so if we did it tonight I could cut the heart from his body and target that instead, which would allow me to use disciplines on him from anywhere as well as grant immunity to staking. That'd cause a point of agg damage and would require a human sacrifice, however, and I'd still require a signal of some sort to know when to start whispering to his heart. Plus, he'd almost completely under my power since I could murder him from anywhere, which he probably wouldn't like.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Ancient History
Serious Badass

radthemad4 wrote: Are you building them AH, or should we build them? If we're building them, what're the chargen rules?
I built a mummy.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Apologies again for the slowness this weekend, I'm trying to get my mom moved and it's...just a long, long fucking weekend of packing, sorting, tossing shit out, moving heavy furniture, buy more boxes and bubble wrap, rinse, repeat.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Ancient History wrote:Apologies again for the slowness this weekend, I'm trying to get my mom moved and it's...just a long, long fucking weekend of packing, sorting, tossing shit out, moving heavy furniture, buy more boxes and bubble wrap, rinse, repeat.
I know how that is. I hate moving.