Proposed Game: Desire and the Dead (Tome)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Ubernoob: You are correct, it seems, about the weapons. I was under the impression we were trying to avoid simple numberic bonuses.

As for the feat, I'm using it to test it. Trial by fire. I'm hoping to improve as flaws become readily apparent.

Akula, what do you think about the item?
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

God_of_Awesome wrote:Ubernoob: You are correct, it seems, about the weapons. I was under the impression we were trying to avoid simple numberic bonuses.

As for the feat, I'm using it to test it. Trial by fire. I'm hoping to improve as flaws become readily apparent.

Akula, what do you think about the item?
The trip effect is fine. The disarm is fucking retarded and should be replaced with something that isn't retarded. Here's an example of "not retarded"

+1: Since you hold such a big weapon, you are treated as having a +2 cover bonus to AC.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Alright, is disarm bad because it too weak or because it too strong?
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

So, GoA is looking for samurai armor, ideally scary samurai armor. In Oriental Adventures, this is called Great Armor.

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Races_of ... reat_Armor

Oh look.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

God_of_Awesome wrote:Alright, is disarm bad because it too weak or because it too strong?
It's worded in a shitty manner and disarm is already fine in tome rules. Basically, your idea is just really incredibly shitty beyond words so we're going to replace it with something that isn't.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

The only problem I've seen with my feat auto-disarming something is that it is vague about what is disarmed. I will fix that.

Uber, I'm gonna put this through trial by fire and I will humbly acede to your opinion if it does prove to suck.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

God_of_Awesome wrote:The only problem I've seen with my feat auto-disarming something is that it is vague about what is disarmed. I will fix that.
It's a strength based save vs "Cannot cast or attack with natural weapons" every round. That's not only vague, but bullshit out of line with +1 abilities.
Uber, I'm gonna put this through trial by fire and I will humbly acede to your opinion if it does prove to suck.
No, your idea is shitty and needs to be something that isn't a shitty idea.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ubernoob wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote:The only problem I've seen with my feat auto-disarming something is that it is vague about what is disarmed. I will fix that.
It's a strength based save vs "Cannot cast or attack with natural weapons" every round. That's not only vague, but bullshit out of line with +1 abilities.
Especially considering that it's usable by a 2nd level cleric.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
ubernoob wrote:
Especially considering that it's usable by a 2nd level cleric.
So it's too powerful?

And it Dex based save.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

I think I will do away with the feat altogether. Much of my mistakes stem from inexperience and I hardly should be questioning design decisions when I honestly don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I'll use a different feat and see what this game teaches me.

Edit: I took the Dreadful Demeanor feat.
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Potential summoning houserules including a new branch of Summon spell and altered durations:
FrankTrollman wrote:
Gelare wrote:Can someone give me a list of things that Summon Spirits is supposed to summon? So far I've been using the Summon Monster list, but those things suck donkey balls.
That seems reasonable. Off hand, Summon Spirits should probably have a fixed duration of something like 10 minutes. Long enough to pull a critter in to do some physical thing that isn't "stab a fool" but not so long that you could cash in your spell slots for all day armies.

Summon Spirits I
  • Grig
  • Bogun
  • Myconid Worker
Summon Spirits II
  • Small Elemental
  • Nixie
  • Petal
Summon Spirits III
  • Allip
  • Dusk Beast
  • Medium Elemental
  • Dryad
Summon Spirits IV
  • Energon
  • Large Elemental
  • Wraith
Summon Spirits V
  • Oread
  • Nymph
  • Spectre
Summon Spirits VI
  • Huge Elemental
  • Umbral Banyan
  • Kelp Angler
Summon Spirits VII
  • Greater Elemental
  • Cauchemar
  • Spirit of the Air
Summon Spirits VIII
  • Dao
  • Living Holocaust
  • Elder Elemental
Summon Spirits IX
  • Elemental Monolith
  • Aoa Sphere
  • Omnielemental
Something like that.
Any thoughts?
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

So I got all the kinks worked out of my character, used an established feat instead of my homebrewed one, made sure everything was nice and tidy.

Would you like me to use normal +1 weaponry or can I keep what I got?

Otherwise, am I good to go?
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

The evil katana is plothax. Since it you aren't using it normally, and you don't know what its powers are, it doesn't count against your magic item limit. Just make your armor +1.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't give yourself more skill ranks.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:The evil katana is plothax. Since it you aren't using it normally, and you don't know what its powers are, it doesn't count against your magic item limit. Just make your armor +1.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't give yourself more skill ranks.
Is... Is plothax bad?
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Depends on how you feel about being hax0red. It's good in the sense that it gives me something to cackle maniacally over. It isn't going to break the game. It is hypothetically possible for the party to turn it into an NPC ally.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Oh, alright. :confused:

Also, your comments about my skills made me feel inadequate so I went back and changed it.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

It seems you added a whole three points...How are you not still inadequate? Give yourself some ranks, because 18 total skill ranks are less than a level one character with your stats and class would normally have. Bare fucking minimum, you have 30 ranks (4+1)*6; you should probably give some flavor ranks on top of that for knowledge skills and shit.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Akula wrote:It seems you added a whole three points...How are you not still inadequate? Give yourself some ranks, because 18 total skill ranks are less than a level one character with your stats and class would normally have. Bare fucking minimum, you have 30 ranks (4+1)*6; you should probably give some flavor ranks on top of that for knowledge skills and shit.
4+1*6?

Well, THAT'S NEW.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

12 Int=1 rank per level, Samurai class=4 ranks per level, and you get *4 skill ranks at level one.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

I boosted intel to 14 so 4+2*6=36.

And done.
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Hey, Mister_Sinister, where is your unicorn?
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Currently, at a stable, eating hay and loudly complaining to anyone who will listen about how much better country life is. Why do you ask?
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

No real reason, just curious. I kinda suspected that he would be doing something like that though. Also, by my reading, wearing shoes would give you the bonus to any disguise check. Others will suffer the normal penalty for trying to be a different race of course.
Last edited by Akula on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Yeah, that's what I thought as well.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Okay, got proper amount of skill points (Fuck, how did I forget that x4 1st level bonus? I actually know that shit), equipment is fine, feats are all from approved sources (IE, not me), I've read up on the IC thread and everything seems to be in order.

When can I jump in? I was thinking just already being at the bar when everyone comes back from their mission.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17