D&D 5e has failed

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

FatR wrote:even a brief course on the evolution of architecture should tell you than in the Greko-Roman world walls universally were the main load-bearing element
Good thing those "Greko-Roman" worlds aren't incredibly famous for the wide spread use of some form of alternative "column" like object as a load bearing structure, I mean that would cause massive "brief course on the evolution of architecture" to be on your face right there...
... and only in medieval times technologies required for buildings like gothic cathedrals (big windows)
Really now, because the "greko romans" had rather advanced architecture and I had always been led to believe that the rediscovery of many of those techniques, like say, the ability to build domes, was one of the key bits of architectural history considered to mark the END of the medieval period and the beginning of the Renaissance.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Windjammer
Master

Post by Windjammer »

FatR wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: I'm calling bullshit on that.
It's nice to see you using the Bible as exact historical evidence when it suits your argument, but even a brief course on the evolution of architecture should tell you than in the Greko-Roman world walls universally were the main load-bearing element (hence: tiny windows whenever a building grew big enough), and only in medieval times technologies required for buildings like gothic cathedrals (big windows) came into use. Whether such technologies existed before or not (the Roman Empire, despite its eminent success with application of well-known technologies was not exactly a place where learning flourished and probably the chief reason so many Greek classics remained unknown in the Western Europe during the Dark Ages was that no one bothered to translate them into Latin), there was no clear line of inheritance leading to the medieval Europe.
Can you name some authorities in place of "a brief course on the evolution of architecture"?

As far as I know, the archaeological sources 19th and 20th century writers like Semper discussed point out the use of non-load bearing walls in all sorts of culture centuries before even Ezechiel (cf. Semper's use of the term "screen-wall" i.e. Wand as opposed to Mauer, and his examples drawn from Assyria). Now maybe you meant to exclude these as irrelevant to your argument, or you think they're invalid to your argument, but I'm interested to hear what you had in mind, since (for reasons that have thankfully nothing to do with RPGs) I find the history of non vs. loadbearing walls actually quite fascinating. Cheers.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
brized wrote:Why would a magical sword ever be the pinnacle of technology in D&D land, where linear fighters and quadratic wizards are integral to the rules and the setting?
Because the default D&D setting is 'Dark Ages/Medieval Europe, but shittier'. Seriously, why don't you come up with a list of widespread inventions or innovations that occurred in this area during this timeframe in the real world? Most of them will end up being applicable to and only useful for warfare.
Yeah, Lago, that time frame - "Dark Ages" isn't appropriate and has been abandoned as a phrase by scholars - was really productive, as much as any other timeframe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Midd ... f_learning
Last edited by mean_liar on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

mean_liar wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:
brized wrote:Why would a magical sword ever be the pinnacle of technology in D&D land, where linear fighters and quadratic wizards are integral to the rules and the setting?
Because the default D&D setting is 'Dark Ages/Medieval Europe, but shittier'. Seriously, why don't you come up with a list of widespread inventions or innovations that occurred in this area during this timeframe in the real world? Most of them will end up being applicable to and only useful for warfare.
Yeah, Lago, that time frame - "Dark Ages" isn't appropriate and has been abandoned as a phrase by scholars - was really productive, as much as any other timeframe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Midd ... f_learning
Fuck. Not this bullshit again.

-Username17
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

So Africa is the Dark Continent still? Calling the Early Middle Ages the Dark Ages is about as clued in as "Chinaman". There is a preferred nomenclature, dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_ ... ography%29

EDIT - What a clusterfuck that thread is. I don't give a fuck if someone living southern (modern) France was better off in 250AD or 750AD. That time period is the Early Middle Ages. If it's the Dark Ages, then yahoo Chinamen all around.
Last edited by mean_liar on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

mean_liar wrote:So Africa is the Dark Continent still? Calling the Early Middle Ages the Dark Ages is about as clued in as "Chinaman". There is a preferred nomenclature, dude.
I'm just going to stop you here. That was an idiotic argument and I don't know why you made it. In case you didn't fucking notice, very, very few people use the term The Dark Ages to make judgments of the people or their descendants even when the term was coined. Rather, it referred to the (legitimately shitty) social history and no sane person uses it to slam contemporary European people or culture or achievements or whatnot. However, people say and said crap like Dark Continent to backhandedly stereotype current descendants and their history. Eliding these differences does you no favors.

Now then. New rule: every person who tells me not to call the Dark Ages the Dark Ages, I'm instead going to call it the Open Sewer Ages for the next five times I refer to the concept.
FatR wrote:Full rigging sailship, windmill, open-field agriculture system, non-loadbearing walls, wooden barrel, stained glass, double-entry bookkeeping, mechanic clock... If start including things whose origin is uncertain (like spinning wheel) or that were just most widely used in Europe despite certainly or likely being invented elsewhere, the list will get much longer. It would be much longer if I had more than passing interest in medieval civilian life too.
Wow, those are such impressive achievements for a 1000+ year time span! But golly gee, if only they were able to deploy covered sewers and plumbing; maybe I wouldn't call them the Open Sewer Ages.

Look, there's a point behind me calling this time period the Open Sewer Ages. I understand there's a desire to find something good in every culture, especially one that lasted so long and especially especially because racial supremacists love harping on the 'if race X wasn't so inferior why is everything cool done by white men' canard. But the story of human advancement don't always have enough of a silver lining to make up for the thunderclouds. People should legitimately get angry that social, economic, and technological progress was stalled/decayed in Europe for so long over such avoidable factors. The Open Sewer Ages should not be whitewashed or look on the bright side'd with cutesy fun-time phrasing, because that lets a lot of the bastards responsible for making it such a hellhole off of the hook.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:People should legitimately get angry that social, economic, and technological progress was stalled/decayed in Europe for so long over such avoidable factors.
No people shouldn't. Because the overwhelming historical consensus is that did not in fact happen.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

FatR wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: I'm calling bullshit on that.
It's nice to see you using the Bible as exact historical evidence when it suits your argument, but even a brief course on the evolution of architecture should tell you than in the Greko-Roman world walls universally were the main load-bearing element (hence: tiny windows whenever a building grew big enough), and only in medieval times technologies required for buildings like gothic cathedrals (big windows) came into use.
I'm going to have to call bullshit on that
The Egyptians, Persians and other civilizations mostly used columns for the practical purpose of holding up the roof inside a building, preferring outside walls to be decorated with reliefs or painting, but the Ancient Greeks, followed by the Romans, loved to use them on the outside as well, and the extensive use of columns on the interior and exterior of buildings is one of the most characteristic features of classical architecture, in buildings like the Parthenon. The Greeks developed the classical orders of architecture, which are most easily distinguished by the form of the column and its various elements. Their Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian orders were expanded by the Romans to include the Tuscan and Composite orders (see below).
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

The beginning and end of this conversation is that Rome was better than post-Rome. Food, water, sanitation, construction, education; all of these took a massive step backwards during the period in which Rome fell. It is called the Dark Ages because it begins with Europe "unlearning" the solutions to a bunch of already solved problems and as a result tens of millions of people die at a point in history when the population of Europe is measured in tens of millions to begin with.

Did technological progress happen during the Dark Ages? Yes. Has the GDP of the United States grown each year for the past four years? Yes. If you look at the latter of those and declare that the past four years haven't been a period of stifled development and unnecessary human suffering "because growth", then you are a moron. If you look at the former of those and declare that the "so-called Dark Ages" weren't a period of stifled development and unnecessary human suffering "because progress", then you are a moron.

It is very important that everyone understands this: progress is the natural state of human affairs. That is bolded, italicized, and underlined, because you need to read it and you need to understand it and you need to internalize it and take that very important fact with you everywhere you go, especially if the place you are going is a place you are likely to discuss either politics, economics, technology, or history. This is not rhetorical flair. Understanding that simple fact is simply a prerequisite for doing any meaningful analysis in these fields. Lots of people don't understand that fact and still do analysis in these fields, and those people are either idiots or charlatans. Don't be an idiot or a charlatan. Those are both bad things. Down that road lies "it doesn't matter who you vote for, anyway" and "see, austerity is working" and "[my religion] totally isn't hostile to science, promise!"

It is simultaneously true that last year the United States GDP went up by more than the inflation rate and that the United States' failure to adequately respond to the crisis has prolonged and is still prolonging economic hardship for tens of millions of people. Progress is the natural state of affairs, so even as we make mistakes that ruin countless lives as a whole we manage to march forward.

It is simultaneously true that developments happen during the Dark Ages and that the Dark Ages are almost literally the Mad Max remnants of the Roman Empire which preceded them. Progress is the natural state of affairs, so even after things have fallen completely to pieces and brutal and totalitarian regimes (compared to Rome that's saying something) seize and cripple Europe as a whole we managed to march forward.

Because progress is the natural state of affairs, "has progress occurred?" is never a meaningful benchmark. Take my pet video game project for example. I am being lazy, and as a result I am substantially behind where I want to be. But I still have more done today than I did last week. Progress has happened, and at this rate progress will still be happening all the way until I die of old age with a half-finished Terraria clone.

The correct observation is not "what about the wheelbarrow?" The correct observation is "why is it that when you ask people to name inventions out of the Middle Ages they almost universally name things that China invented hundreds of years earlier?"
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The medieval scholars I've kind of interacted with on the internet get super mad at the phrase "Dark Age" tho' and then talk about all the bathing and science Europeans did in that time.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OgreBattle wrote:The medieval scholars I've kind of interacted with on the internet get super mad at the phrase "Dark Age" tho' and then talk about all the bathing and science Europeans did in that time.
Various people who are historians (amateur or otherwise) get mad at the term "Dark Ages" because they feel it implies that nothing happened during the period. Obviously, things happened. Most people use the term "Dark Ages" to imply that the period was shittier than what came before or after, which of course it was.

This makes it different from other things which are called "dark ages" in a historical context, where they are called that because of an absence of records. So the Bronze Dark Ages and the Digital Dark Ages are called that because records did not (or a hypothesized that they will not) survive, and we don't know as much about the period as we do about the period that came before and after. But the regular old Dark Ages aren't called that because people didn't write things down or that we can't read what they wrote - they are just a shitty time to be alive. And there are some people who feel that this is using language "wrong." It's slightly more retarded than the people who flip out when you use the words "alot" or "noone."

It would indeed be more technically accurate to call it the "Open Sewer Ages," but since everyone knows what you're talking about when you call them the "Dark Ages," there's no pressing need for a linguistic change.

-Username17
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

The Early Middle Ages as a period feature deurbanization, a plummeting population, a rise in the percentage of that population engaged in subsistence farming, and the complete domination of the academic realm by deeply nonsecular institutions who in turn do very little original work and instead almost exclusively rediscover and translate Greek and Roman writings - and occasionally erasing some from existence for heresy. It is simply true that the conditions of the Middle Ages are not suitable for human progress. Less population means less scholars. More farmers means less scholars. Less urban centers means less coordination. Less secularity means more corruption.

The High Middle Ages are little better; sure, you start to see the reemergence of large, dedicated centers of learning, but those centers of learning still focus almost exclusively on teaching people all the shit they've managed to preserve and recover from lost civilizations. We are very genuinely talking about a recovering post-apocalyptic society that is finally marshalling the resources to pour over ancient tomes and relics in an organized and comprehensive fashion. Yes, that's a step forward from the Early Middle Ages when individual monasteries either preserved or failed to preserve the writings that passed through their hands. Yes, some genuinely new developments occur. But the vast majority of what happens during this period is simply catch up.

Most people trying to "defend the dignity" of the Middle Ages do so by pointing to the Late Middle Ages, the two centuries (i.e. the last fifth) that occur directly before the Renaissance. It should really surprise no one that the end of the Middle Ages are "almost as good as the the Renaissance," but that also really shouldn't impress anyone.

I have no idea why people are trying to whitewash the Middle Ages. Maybe it's irrational backlash caused by the discovery that while the period was in fact terrible, it wasn't as universally and comically terrible as we originally envisonised. Maybe medieval scholars have somehow ended up in a pissing contest with Roman scholars. Maybe Christian revisionism has enough weight that the "respectable opinion" simply is that the Dark Ages weren't really all that dark come on guys remember when we took all that cool stuff from China. I have no idea what the perspective within the community of medieval scholars is, but anyone who gets upset about calling the Dark Ages the Dark Ages is a fucking idiot, and that will continue to be true no matter how many degrees they pull out. It's a period of history whose beginning is marked by the collapse of a sophisticated empire and whose ending is marked by the run-up to the enlightenment. It's fucking impossible for it to not be shittier than its chronological neighbors.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

So DnD 5e is like the early dark ages right?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
hamstertamer
Apprentice

Post by hamstertamer »

People who defend the term "dark ages" are in fact supporting the ignorant version of history. That term was coined at a time when generations of people had been separated enough by time, and had forgotten, and the new liberal scholar class had an ideological conflict of interest with the past. So, they deemed the period they were totally ignorant about as the "dark ages." And besides, they had to, the progressive ideology demands that people view history as something getting better over time, always. No progressive thinks back to the "good ol' days," the past for them is always backwards and just bad.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

hamstertamer wrote:People who defend the term "dark ages" are in fact supporting the ignorant version of history. That term was coined at a time when generations of people had been separated enough by time, and had forgotten, and the new liberal scholar class had an ideological conflict of interest with the past. So, they deemed the period they were totally ignorant about as the "dark ages." And besides, they had to, the progressive ideology demands that people view history as something getting better over time, always. No progressive thinks back to the "good ol' days," the past for them is always backwards and just bad.
You are contradicting yourself.

The entire point of the term Dark Ages is to describe a time that was worse than the time before it. So your claim that it was invented by an ideological need to view history as progress makes no fucking sense.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

hamstertamer wrote:People who defend the term "dark ages" are in fact supporting the ignorant version of history. That term was coined at a time when generations of people had been separated enough by time, and had forgotten, and the new liberal scholar class had an ideological conflict of interest with the past. So, they deemed the period they were totally ignorant about as the "dark ages." And besides, they had to, the progressive ideology demands that people view history as something getting better over time, always. No progressive thinks back to the "good ol' days," the past for them is always backwards and just bad.
Wow that's a lot of projection. Look, if we view history as something getting better over time in all cases, there couldn't have been any Dark Ages. The Dark Ages are defined by being worse than the time after and before. So if those mean nasty liberals really believed that the future was always better than the past, they couldn't simultaneously believe there was a time in the past that was worse than the time before that.

The reasoning you are ascribing to the liberals is completely incompatible with the conclusions you claim they drew. The motivations you are ascribing to the liberals are wholly unserved by the proclamations. The only possible conclusion is that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the ideas or motives of the people you disagree with. That in turn is highly suggestive that you are an idiot whose opinions are uninformed and ridiculous on other issues as well.

-Username17
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

hamstertamer, that rant is incoherent and shameful. Also: factually fucking wrong.

The imagery of Roman knowledge as a light that has been extinguished originates with an Italian scholar in the Late Middle Ages criticizing the period in which he lives. It is a rant about how back in the good ol' days men were men and women were women and Latin was Latin but nowadays kids are stupid and their books are stupid and their universities are stupid and get off his lawn. For fuck's sake, read this: "My fate is to live among varied and confusing storms. But for you perhaps, if as I hope and wish you will live long after me, there will follow a better age. This sleep of forgetfulness will not last for ever. When the darkness has been dispersed, our descendants can come again in the former pure radiance." For Petrarch, the man who created the fucking metaphor in the first place, "the dark" was the present and "the light" was the past. Basically: you're a fucking idiot and you should never post on this topic ever again. Go away.

Interestingly, the debate about the appropriateness of the term Dark Ages is hundreds of years old. I will give you three guesses as to which two groups thought the term was offensively disparaging of a proud and noble part of European history. Hints: group one likes to wear funny hats and diddle children; group two is inbred and misses ruling the world.

The idea that we shouldn't call the Middle Ages the Dark Ages is, historically, the apologetics of the Catholic Church and a bunch of aristocrats trying to convince people that the days when they ruled the world weren't really that bad.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
mean_liar wrote:So Africa is the Dark Continent still? Calling the Early Middle Ages the Dark Ages is about as clued in as "Chinaman". There is a preferred nomenclature, dude.
I'm just going to stop you here. That was an idiotic argument and I don't know why you made it. In case you didn't fucking notice, very, very few people use the term The Dark Ages to make judgments of the people or their descendants even when the term was coined. Rather, it referred to the (legitimately shitty) social history and no sane person uses it to slam contemporary European people or culture or achievements or whatnot. However, people say and said crap like Dark Continent to backhandedly stereotype current descendants and their history. Eliding these differences does you no favors.
The Dark Continent originally was coined to talk about how no one knew about it. Of course, the fact that most of modern Africa is dark at night when seen from satellites means that the Dark Continent is still an apt term, much like how Open Sewer Age is apt.

Considering the Dark Continent as being a racist phrase is like complaining about the word niggardly. Sure, why the fuck not, post-modernism is awesome.

EDIT - This is all, of course, stupid and pedantic. It is also what the Internet is for.
Last edited by mean_liar on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

mean_liar wrote:Considering the Dark Continent as being a racist phrase is like complaining about the word niggardly. Sure, why the fuck not, post-modernism is awesome.
Why don't you tell me A.) what general time-frame 'Dark Continent' started to appear and B.) the general sociopolitical zeitgeist of the culture that phrase originated in, esp. the international relationship of said culture with the area 'Dark Continent' was supposed to refer to?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

This seems like a reasonable summary of the phrase 'Dark Age' that covers "The roman empire collapsing was a bad thing", but goes on how the climb outta that began.

From http://www.quora.com/Were-the-Dark-Ages ... retty-dark
The term "Dark Ages" comes from the Latin saeculum obscurum, first used to describe the Medieval Period by Cesare Baronius in 1602. Like most intellectuals of his day, he regarded the Medieval Period - roughly 500-1500 AD - as a period of darkness and obscurity, largely due to the (in his day) relative lack of documentary sources from which a historian could work. The term also came to be applied to the period as a value judgement; a condemnation of the perceived ill effects of the dominance of the Church in the period. As a result, it is often still used as a synonym for "Medieval" or "Middle Ages" and is associated in the popular mind with images of superstition, suppression of science and inquiry, the burning of witches and heretics, belief in a flat earth and pre-Renaissance ignorance.

With the more systematic study of the period in the Twentieth Century, historians now recognise that most of this popular image is wholly mistaken. The "Witch Craze" actually happened after the Middle Ages and was substantially an early Modern affair, peaking in the Seventeenth Century, and the whole idea that the Church taught the earth was flat is myth invented by a Nineteenth Century novelist. This better understanding of the Middle Ages as a period of great vigor, variety and intellectual activity, particularly after the great revival of ancient learning during the Twelfth Century Renaissance, is only just beginning to filter down into the popular sphere, but has been acknowledged by historians for decades.

As a result, the term "the Dark Ages" is now rarely used to refer to the whole Medieval Period in the academic sphere. It is still used sometimes, however, to refer to the earliest centuries of the period, after the catastrophic collapse of the Western Roman Empire. This collapse resulted in the political fragmentation of western Europe, the end of extensive long-distance trade, the crumbling of public infrastructure and a degradation of the ability to construct large buildings and complex architecture. It also saw several centuries of invasion and war in Europe which further disrupted daily life and caused a massive decline in education and learning.

As Bryan Ward-Perkins argues in The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilisation (2005), an archaeological comparison of finds from the later Roman Era and those of the Sixth or Seventh Centuries shows how degraded European material culture became. Factory made, mass-produced ceramics which had been exported to the furthest corners of the Empire were replaced with rough, home-made pottery. Evidence of luxury goods traded over long distances disappears from the record in all but the most elite grave site finds. Learning was not extinguished completely thanks to the Church's teaching that "pagan" philosophy was valuable for its own sake and to be preserved. But much was lost in the turmoil. We have, for example, some correspondence between two monks from the Ninth Century where they are discussing mathematical problems that, to modern eyes, look totally elementary but which were cutting edge at the time.

But in many ways this decline held the seeds of its own revival. With the collapse of long distance trade, transport infrastructure and large scale economies when the Empire collapsed, local communities were forced to become more self-sufficient. Technologies and farming techniques which reduced labour and increased yields became increasingly required and saw an adoption of changes in the period between 500 and 1200 AD that revolutionised agrarian production. The adoption of the horse collar and horseshoes made ploughing more effective and the wider use of the heavy mouldboard plough meant that heavy, fertile northern European soils could be brought under production for the first time. Watermills began to proliferate through Europe, mechanising not just flour production but also a range of other processes once done manually. This mechanisation spread to widespread use of tidal mills and, eventually, to the invention of lateral windmills and the range of processes driven by these new machines increased to including everything from sawing masonry to driving trip hammers and automated forge bellows.

The resultant rise in production levels and standards of living from these technologies, combined with the end of the waves of invasion and greater political stability paved the way for an upswing in the later Middle Ages. Contact with Jewish and Muslim scholars in Spain saw lost works by Aristotle, Ptolemy, Archimedes and many others translated into Latin and returned to the West. In the same period universities began to appear across Europe, setting up a network of scholarship. This Medieval revival also saw further technological innovation, with major inventions such as the mechanical clock, eyeglasses, effective gunpowder weapons and the printing press.

So while the period often called "the Dark Ages" was not as "dark" as once believed and is now seen as a period of vitality, change and growth, the Early Medieval Period, which is still sometimes referred to as the Dark Ages certainly was period of decline, fragmentation and collapse. But early Medieval Europe recovered from this low ebb and set the stage for a remarkable recovery and a long period of growth and innovation that laid the foundations of the modern world.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

DSMatticus wrote:The Early Middle Ages as a period feature deurbanization, a plummeting population, a rise in the percentage of that population engaged in subsistence farming, and the complete domination of the academic realm by deeply nonsecular institutions who in turn do very little original work and instead almost exclusively rediscover and translate Greek and Roman writings - and occasionally erasing some from existence for heresy. It is simply true that the conditions of the Middle Ages are not suitable for human progress. Less population means less scholars. More farmers means less scholars. Less urban centers means less coordination. Less secularity means more corruption.
Does he say anything in his rant to contradict this? No, he completely 100% admits it and then tries to spin it as a positive: "But in many ways this decline held the seeds of its own revival. With the collapse of long distance trade, transport infrastructure and large scale economies when the Empire collapsed, local communities were forced to become more self-sufficient. Technologies and farming techniques which reduced labour and increased yields became increasingly required and saw an adoption of changes in the period between 500 and 1200 AD that revolutionised agrarian production." And of course, that's bullshit. Because Rome had better agricultural yields and less of its population was dedicated to subsistence farming because specialization is fucking magic!

Look, it is just a fact that certain parts of the world are better suited to growing food than other parts of the world. There is nothing you can do to make growing crops in Antarctica as productive as growing crops in Iowa, and while that is an extreme example the underlying principle is true for any region large enough to have noticeably different climates within it. If region A is more suited to growing food than region B, then it is objectively more productive to have region A grow food for region B. You will get more food for less labor, and that means you will have more labor available for other things. Specialization is objectively superior to self-sufficiency.
DSMatticus wrote:The High Middle Ages are little better; sure, you start to see the reemergence of large, dedicated centers of learning, but those centers of learning still focus almost exclusively on teaching people all the shit they've managed to preserve and recover from lost civilizations. We are very genuinely talking about a recovering post-apocalyptic society that is finally marshalling the resources to pour over ancient tomes and relics in an organized and comprehensive fashion. Yes, that's a step forward from the Early Middle Ages when individual monasteries either preserved or failed to preserve the writings that passed through their hands. Yes, some genuinely new developments occur. But the vast majority of what happens during this period is simply catch up.
Does he say anything to contradict this? No, not really. He mentions that because the fundamental model of their agricultural industry sucked so fucking much they were driven to invent a bunch of cheap, easily produced tools that made it slightly less terrible. And as a result (he doesn't really say this, but it's true), you start seeing some small reurbanization, which in turn means we see the return of the university. But hey, guess what; Rome still fucking wins, because it still fed more people and had better universities, in that the universities of the High Middle Ages are seriously just incomplete collections of materials from Greek and Roman universities. Seriously, they are playing catch-up!

So basically his conclusion is that because farmers eventually adapted methods and tools more suitable to the totally collapsed society in which they lived and because there was eventually some form of higher education at all the Dark Ages weren't so dark. That is fucking fuckity fuck stupid. Basically, it's the exact thing I ranted about in my first post:
DSMatticus wrote:The beginning and end of this conversation is that Rome was better than post-Rome. Food, water, sanitation, construction, education; all of these took a massive step backwards during the period in which Rome fell. It is called the Dark Ages because it begins with Europe "unlearning" the solutions to a bunch of already solved problems and as a result tens of millions of people die at a point in history when the population of Europe is measured in tens of millions to begin with.

Did technological progress happen during the Dark Ages? Yes. Has the GDP of the United States grown each year for the past four years? Yes. If you look at the latter of those and declare that the past four years haven't been a period of stifled development and unnecessary human suffering "because growth", then you are a moron. If you look at the former of those and declare that the "so-called Dark Ages" weren't a period of stifled development and unnecessary human suffering "because progress", then you are a moron.

It is very important that everyone understands this: progress is the natural state of human affairs. That is bolded, italicized, and underlined, because you need to read it and you need to understand it and you need to internalize it and take that very important fact with you everywhere you go, especially if the place you are going is a place you are likely to discuss either politics, economics, technology, or history. This is not rhetorical flair. Understanding that simple fact is simply a prerequisite for doing any meaningful analysis in these fields. Lots of people don't understand that fact and still do analysis in these fields, and those people are either idiots or charlatans. Don't be an idiot or a charlatan. Those are both bad things. Down that road lies "it doesn't matter who you vote for, anyway" and "see, austerity is working" and "[my religion] totally isn't hostile to science, promise!"

It is simultaneously true that last year the United States GDP went up by more than the inflation rate and that the United States' failure to adequately respond to the crisis has prolonged and is still prolonging economic hardship for tens of millions of people. Progress is the natural state of affairs, so even as we make mistakes that ruin countless lives as a whole we manage to march forward.

It is simultaneously true that developments happen during the Dark Ages and that the Dark Ages are almost literally the Mad Max remnants of the Roman Empire which preceded them. Progress is the natural state of affairs, so even after things have fallen completely to pieces and brutal and totalitarian regimes (compared to Rome that's saying something) seize and cripple Europe as a whole we managed to march forward.

Because progress is the natural state of affairs, "has progress occurred?" is never a meaningful benchmark. Take my pet video game project for example. I am being lazy, and as a result I am substantially behind where I want to be. But I still have more done today than I did last week. Progress has happened, and at this rate progress will still be happening all the way until I die of old age with a half-finished Terraria clone.

The correct observation is not "what about the wheelbarrow?" The correct observation is "why is it that when you ask people to name inventions out of the Middle Ages they almost universally name things that China invented hundreds of years earlier?"
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

DSMatticus wrote:t the Dark Ages are almost literally the Mad Max remnants of the Roman Empire
Cool. Never thought this way. :biggrin:
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
mean_liar wrote:Considering the Dark Continent as being a racist phrase is like complaining about the word niggardly. Sure, why the fuck not, post-modernism is awesome.
Why don't you tell me A.) what general time-frame 'Dark Continent' started to appear and B.) the general sociopolitical zeitgeist of the culture that phrase originated in, esp. the international relationship of said culture with the area 'Dark Continent' was supposed to refer to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Mort ... xploration

Through the Dark Continent was published in 1878, recounting how he managed to reveal a shitload of unknowns about African geography during the course of a 7000mi expedition.

You'll note that the title is not, Through the [EDITED] Continent or Through the Negro Continent. Colonialist attitudes do accompany it, of course, but I'm not sure if the phrase itself is racist. African society at the time so assbackwards they were still in the Open Sewer Age in the 19th and 20th century, and my understanding is that this marks an Age as shitty and awful when it happens in the 5th century, so much moreso 1400yrs later. In fact, if the Dark Age is Dark precisely for its assbackwards technological achievements, I figure rural Africa in the 19th century hits that mark even harder.
Last edited by mean_liar on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Are you congenially incapable of seeing things in context, mean_liar? Dark Continent is part of the memeplex that supremacists use to denigrate Africans. It's been that way for over a fucking century. Seriously, there are Warner Brothers cartoons where people would travel to Darkest Africa and be menaced by cannibals in blackface and these cartoons were then used to reinforce the Black Brute stereotype. Open Sewer Ages Dark Ages is generally not used that way. When someone uses the Dark Ages even in a deliberately abusive context they are at most attacking the Catholic religion -- certainly not Catholics, Christians, historical white Europeans, and especially not contemporary white Europeans. It stems from a different fucking context than when people use the word Chinaman or Dark Continent.

And you can snivel all you want about post-modernism, but in the land of non-morons we understand the animating impulses behind the use of the word Dark Ages. Just fucking read Frank and DSMatticus's posts, why don't you.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I think the phrase can be used for racist ends and probably has been, sure, so we'll just assume it's an insensitive title. I think that's interesting in that describing an assbackwards place as assbackwards becomes racist when some use it to mean "assbackwards for presumably genetic reasons" rather than just assbackwards unto itself, but that's how language goes I suppose.

It's certainly a term that should just be bypassed for something more specific and direct, such as "Africa in the 19th Century"... a lot like "European Early Middle Ages/Migration Period". As opposed to, you know, "Dark Ages", because baking pejoratives into a title can be misleading and leads to things like forgetting that the period in question also included a flourishing Visigothic kingdom in Spain, the Byzantines keeping their part of the world running very well, trade continuing along the coasts, the reduction of slavery from Roman levels (and Bathilde's suspension of the slave trade in Burgundy), and other trinkets.

"Dark Ages" is a phrase, much like "Dark Continent", that has to exist in a context. In the case of Dark Ages, that's a phrase targeting "land-locked Western European non-slaves within the confines of the developed (former) Roman Empire but outside Visigothic Spain", and that basically makes it a shitty handwave phrase.

But yeah, for those folks it sure was a Dark Age.
Last edited by mean_liar on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.