ideas that need to go away

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

shadzar wrote:
:rofl: there goes everyone's shallow weapon-based character designs.
Really? Why?

And you still haven't explained why, if I were to spend both mechanical and flavor resources on being an archer, my character is somehow "Bad" or "Shallow".

You can create a large, elaborate backstory which includes history, family, personality and everything, and weave through that a lot of really good reasons why that character uses a specific type of weapon.

What you are suggesting is the very OPPOSITE of making a richly detailed, interesting character. You are suggesting that players should keep their characters generic so that they can make best use of whatever magical gear comes their way.

Wait a minute... Isn't there a type of player who keeps things generic so that they can accrue the best bonuses possible during gameplay? Oh yeah, there is! They're called munchkins. Keeping your character generic for the specific reason that you won't be able to make best use of loot otherwise is the same as creating a character who has no family and no friends and no ties whatsoever to the world around them so the DM can't make the BBEG ransom their parents off.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

rasmuswagner wrote:That Monte Cook quote sounds awfully familiar. Is it from the 2nd ed DMG?
Monte did work on something from 2nd edition...but it is more that he is saying he fucked up with 3rd and did something stupid trying to design the game around the treasure so closely. so seems he has read the L&L articles and seeing what worked at TSR, and what he himself screwed up with 3rd that caused the problems.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Desdan_Mervolam wrote:
shadzar wrote:
:rofl: there goes everyone's shallow weapon-based character designs.
Really? Why?

And you still haven't explained why, if I were to spend both mechanical and flavor resources on being an archer, my character is somehow "Bad" or "Shallow".

You can create a large, elaborate backstory which includes history, family, personality and everything, and weave through that a lot of really good reasons why that character uses a specific type of weapon.

What you are suggesting is the very OPPOSITE of making a richly detailed, interesting character. You are suggesting that players should keep their characters generic so that they can make best use of whatever magical gear comes their way.

Wait a minute... Isn't there a type of player who keeps things generic so that they can accrue the best bonuses possible during gameplay? Oh yeah, there is! They're called munchkins. Keeping your character generic for the specific reason that you won't be able to make best use of loot otherwise is the same as creating a character who has no family and no friends and no ties whatsoever to the world around them so the DM can't make the BBEG ransom their parents off.
why is because depending on a weapon for treasure wont happen and your wishlist crap will be dead. you take what you get and make the best use of it.

i recall the example was a fop with a rapier, not someone using a bow.. and using a bow isnt much thought into character development. let me guess you want to be an elf right?

again this is narrowminded because what does your oh so well backgrounded archer do...in CQC? do you sit there with your bow up your ass watching everyone else, and the party gets tired of you doing nothing and finds someone to replace you?

sure the hunter gatherer might have been well trained in a bow, but if that is all he uses, he is going to be closing himself off form a large part of the game, especially if the character concept is so small minded.

would your archer refuse to go into dungeons? how exactly useful with this character be?

again...you arent thinkinga bout the party. thee are MANY options you could portray while still being a valued member of the party, rather than being so self-centered to WANT to use just one kind of weapon. remember even Robin Hood was a great swordsman, not just a one-trick pony.

seriously the idea of wanting a character that uses a specific type of weapon would have your as laughed at for hours around here.

to design a character based on the need for only a single weapon and never relinquish that concept is shallow because it puts your wants ahead of the needs of the other players, and the needs of the game. you dont want to be a part of the party, you just want to be a dredge along for the ride. when your bow breaks and you have nothing else to use will you throw a temper tantrum if the DM doesnt instantly replace it since the "DM OWES" you a bow to play your shallow character concept?

munchkins are about the massing of weapons/power, NOT being flexible enough to do what it takes to get by and make the game work. they are self-centered thinking only me Me ME. i wanted to only use a bow, so i need better bows. WAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE!

the character concept has NO depth when based around a single weapon be it a bow, sword, etc. the lack of depth is what makes it shallow.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

So, what you're saying is you don't know the difference between a wishlist (A list of things I would like to see turn up in the game), and a ransom note (A list of things that MUST happen or I leave the game), and because of that, I'Mthe bad gamer?
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

shadzar wrote: why is because depending on a weapon for treasure wont happen and your wishlist crap will be dead. you take what you get and make the best use of it.

i recall the example was a fop with a rapier, not someone using a bow.. and using a bow isnt much thought into character development. let me guess you want to be an elf right?
Actually, the last time I played a swashbuckler character was 2e, and it was a homebrew race the DM put forth.
again this is narrowminded because what does your oh so well backgrounded archer do...in CQC? do you sit there with your bow up your ass watching everyone else, and the party gets tired of you doing nothing and finds someone to replace you?
Well, first off, I have no idea what CQC is, and don't particular care. A setting that doesn't include swashbucklers or monks or other edgecase archetypes is one thing. They're not core archetypes, so a DM is reasonably justified to say "Please pick something else". A setting that doesn't support an archer is such a contrivance that you damned well better have told the party before hand.

Secondly, well yeah. If I'm playing a game and the GM doesn't support my character either by active avoidance or unintentionally because he or she would rather 'let the dice fall where they may', then yeah, all I can do is deal. And yeah, in 2E, this was less of a problem, since magical equipment was less vital to your survival, at least for most of the game.
sure the hunter gatherer might have been well trained in a bow, but if that is all he uses, he is going to be closing himself off form a large part of the game, especially if the character concept is so small minded.

would your archer refuse to go into dungeons? how exactly useful with this character be?
Plenty, of course. I played a dedicated archer who only ever used their melee weapon like twice, and still contributed very well to the party. Just because you're in a dungeon, doesn't mean you have to rush all your enemies.

And for a genre example of what I'm talking about, Legolas only used his knives a few times, and for the most part continued using his bow throughout the story, and this includes the dungeon-crawl through Moria.
again...you arent thinkinga bout the party. thee are MANY options you could portray while still being a valued member of the party, rather than being so self-centered to WANT to use just one kind of weapon. remember even Robin Hood was a great swordsman, not just a one-trick pony.
He knew what end of a sword to hold, and which end of the sword to wave at the other guy, but I don't recall any legends of how awesome a swordsman Robin Hood was.
seriously the idea of wanting a character that uses a specific type of weapon would have your as laughed at for hours around here.
Well, I'm glad I've never gamed with you and your friends. I prefer players that put thought and care into their characters and DMs that support the players in the party instead of passive-aggressively seeking to punish them. Please tell me that if someone came to you with a concept that you didn't approve of you'd at least tell them you didn't want them to play it, instead of just denying them any opportunity of enjoying the game?
to design a character based on the need for only a single weapon and never relinquish that concept is shallow because it puts your wants ahead of the needs of the other players, and the needs of the game. you dont want to be a part of the party, you just want to be a dredge along for the ride. when your bow breaks and you have nothing else to use will you throw a temper tantrum if the DM doesnt instantly replace it since the "DM OWES" you a bow to play your shallow character concept?
Ah, here we go, FINALLY an answer. Not a terribly logical one, but hey.

It's right to be concerned about the party cohesion in general, except there's nothing here that requires a person think egocentrically about their own character over the others. EVERYONE should be doing this. Everyone should be coming to the game with a character that they find interesting in terms of personality and background, and fun to play mechanically. I mean this: If you think swinging a sword all day is boring and repetitive, you owe it to yourself and the party to play a character with greater variety of tactics. If you find the magic system cumbersome and overcomplicated, try something with fewer tactical options.

And none of this has anything to do with disrupting the game. A player who is going to be a whiny prima-donna is likely to do so regardless of other factors, because that is NOT about mechanics, it's about attention. Most players want to play the character they have in their head without some dipshit sneering at them because the image they have in their head happens to be holding a bow.

And why do I want to play an archer? Well, a lot of reasons. Backstory: Because my father was a Bowman in the Imperial Army and took me on campaign with him from the time I was a small boy, where I learned to be a fletcher and trained to be a bowman myself. Tactical: The party doesn't have much in the way of ranged support. Cool-factor: I just re-watched Lord of the Rings and really enjoyed Legolas's feats. Flavor: I conceived this character as an archer, not an axeman and to rework the character to focus on axes wouldn't be true to the character. Mechanical: I spent one of my four Weapon Proficency Slots on Weapon Specialization: Longbow, and I'd really rather have the GM tell me up front that I'm better off spending that slot on a fourth WP instead of quietly punishing me for it.

None of these are bad reasons to want to play an archer. None of it says that I can never wield anything but a bow either, but the player has the right to be upset if he gets an archer approved for play but winds up using a greataxe instead.
munchkins are about the massing of weapons/power, NOT being flexible enough to do what it takes to get by and make the game work. they are self-centered thinking only me Me ME. i wanted to only use a bow, so i need better bows. WAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE!
Er, no. Munchkins are about gaming the system to create the greatest advantage possible. The difference might be subtle, but it IS important. If a Munchkin comes to a game where the DM doesn't consider the party when placing treasure and as such runs a really good risk of not ever getting a magic weapon of the type they want, they're going to just switch around to whatever magic weapon is best.
the character concept has NO depth when based around a single weapon be it a bow, sword, etc. the lack of depth is what makes it shallow.
That is absolutely not true. A well developed character can be based around any kind of character hook you want, or none at all. You can keep whining about this all you want, but it never becomes true.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I still think that it's both bogus and sad that the only way Harry Potter or Batman or Green Lantern will only use an Excalibur, Iron Man suit, or Flying Carpet is if they get to reforge them into a magic wand, utility belt, or rocket boots.

I think it's extra bogus and sad that even when given the option to turn it down and continue at their old level-appropriate effectiveness they then start mewling and whining about how the game was screwing them over by not giving them exactly the results that they want.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

DSM wrote:He knew what end of a sword to hold, and which end of the sword to wave at the other guy, but I don't recall any legends of how awesome a swordsman Robin Hood was.
That's factually wrong. In the legend of Robin Hood and the Bishop of Nereford, Robin Hood rescues a group of foresters by being awesome with a sword. He is also legendarily awesome with a quarterstaff in the legend of Robin Hood and Little John, an apparent dagger master in Robin Hood and Will Scarlet, and of course a master with a bow in Robin Hood and the Golden Arrow.

Robin Hood just has a high BAB and uses whatever weapon happens to be at hand or useful in the current situation. Kind of like Conan.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

DP
Last edited by Username17 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I still think that it's both bogus and sad that the only way Harry Potter or Batman or Green Lantern will only use an Excalibur, Iron Man suit, or Flying Carpet is if they get to reforge them into a magic wand, utility belt, or rocket boots.

I think it's extra bogus and sad that even when given the option to turn it down and continue at their old level-appropriate effectiveness they then start mewling and whining about how the game was screwing them over by not giving them exactly the results that they want.
I think it's sad that people can't understand that when a player wants to play Batman he doesn't want to play Green Lantern. And when someone wants to play Wolverine they don't want to play Iron Man.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

That's great. Then they don't have to. They can continue playing Batman or Wolverine. The monsters don't suddenly increase in difficulty. Their old schticks don't fall behind. They haven't suddenly become shittier characters because they decided to junk what the treasure generator rolled up.

The idea that treasure has to advance your character concept is stupid. And if you roll something up that can advance a character concept but not yours you're not entitled to a reroll or a reforging. You just keep playing the game. If Batman rolls up a Utility Belt +2 or Harry Potter rolls up a Staff of the Magi then awesome. If they don't but they get something that could theoretically be something they exactly want but isn't then tough shit.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Rollin treasure and sticking with it should have died with rolling stats and sticking with it.

"Tough shit" sounds too much like Gygax to take it seriously.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I'm actually fine with rolling treasure + magic item shops. It's a little cheesy, but it keeps both the thrill of randomly getting exactly what you want and makes it impossible to get truly screwed.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Desdan_Mervolam wrote:
This sounds like an argument I had with Kkat. She literally tried to say that making a character that was good at something was bad, and that if I tried to make an archer in her game she'd force me to change it to something more "balanced".

EDIT: The difference is, kkat at least made an attempt to use proper language. Shadzar is too autistic to write in a way that's coherent.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I think he might be blind. Not all the way, but enough that he can't actually see what he's typing. He made some comments a while back about the textbox being too small.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

fectin wrote:I'm actually fine with rolling treasure + magic item shops. It's a little cheesy, but it keeps both the thrill of randomly getting exactly what you want and makes it impossible to get truly screwed.
I'm not. As 3rd and 4th Edition D&D has shown us this system still sucks out the surprise and fun of magical items. People just fail conservative and build their expectations around what they're guaranteed to get. So when the Lady of the Lake tosses King Arthur an Excalibur he throws it back in and goes 'fuck you and your +5 sharp longsword, lady, I'm getting a +3 flaming battleaxe in two more combats'.
Fuch wrote:Rollin treasure and sticking with it should have died with rolling stats and sticking with it.
I agree that rolling stats is generally not worth it, but I'm interested in hearing from you why rolling stats and sticking with it is bad and rolling treasure is sticking with it and bad.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Same principle. Such rolls should not have that much impact on a character's development.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Only in two campaigns did a character in my game get a weapon and have it be his main focus. One was a looted weapon that had been really expected to be dropped off or gotten rid f but became a significant piece of the story. The only reason why it was important was because, the way they had been running around, they couldn't actually pick and choose what they picked up. Given the option the sword would've been dropped immediately for something else. The other time it was important was that the guy was a fighter and hyper specialized in using a battleaxe.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

A world in which you fight snake men with glowing poison bows and then you don't get glowing poison bows is a world that is not persistently real. That is the 4e world. That is the Diablo II world. That is not a world that has any interactivity or verisimilitude. If you fight enemies with poison bows, you get a poison fucking bow. That is how it fucking works.

The Orcs have whatever fits the idiom of the Orcs. Then you work it into your own idiom after you beat them up and take their stuff. Their stuff. The shit they actually fucking had when you fought them. You do not beat up a bunch of Orcs with black halberds and have them drop a flaming mace. You do not kill a swarm of demon bees and have them drop a suit of platemail. The stuff the enemy actually has is the stuff you actually get, because the "loot screen" is part of the same persistent world as the "combat screen". Because we are fucking roleplaying in a fucking fantasy world, and we are not playing a fucking computer game.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Same principle. Such rolls should not have that much impact on a character's development.
If you don't want having a magical item to have an impact on PC development then they shouldn't have them at all. Whereupon they should be taken out of the game unless it's integral for a certain class concept like artificer.

Wanting magical items to be special AND come at a predictable schedule is impossible.

Now some people accept that premise but can't accept the idea that even though the plus and property of a magical should be random the actual weapontype rolled up should not be. That's not an issue of surprise or specialness or anything, that's just clamping down on basketweaving. Character concepts married to certain kinds of weapon types where the difference between a dagger and a longsword is the difference between victory and defeat are low level concepts and is one of the biggest ways in which DMF ruin higher levels for everyone else. You'd want to get rid of that whether or not magical items were random or not. Letting people decide that they're only going to fight with axes or swords makes about as much sense as rewriting the adventure so that their ranks in Craft: Baskets will save the world.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

So, things that need to go away:
* Weapon specialization; the benefit that feat gave was weak and its mother smelled like Rafflesia.

Also, if you're somehow both an adventurer and not badass enough to use just about any weapon you come across, you don't deserve to call yourself a weapon-user.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

FrankTrollman wrote:A world in which you fight snake men with glowing poison bows and then you don't get glowing poison bows is a world that is not persistently real. That is the 4e world. That is the Diablo II world. That is not a world that has any interactivity or verisimilitude. If you fight enemies with poison bows, you get a poison fucking bow. That is how it fucking works.
Yeah, but in such a world, I should be able to trade the fucking glowing poison bow I got from fighting snake men for a flaming spear the other guy got from fighting salamanders.

Especially if we all got multiples of the things because we fought a lot of those.

And sometimes you find stuff they got when they fought other adventurers.
Last edited by Fuchs on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I always wondered why being a fighter didn't just give you a damage boost for all weapons? I know the flat +2/+4 damage for weapon spec and improved weapon spec isn't enough to matter in the long run, but why not give fighters an additional bonus to all weapons and attack rolls? Feats like weapon focus and specialization (and the improved versions) can all just go away, and even though an archer has lots of cool bow tricks he can swing a sword with enough effect to still be playable?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Fuchs wrote:Yeah, but in such a world, I should be able to trade the fucking glowing poison bow I got from fighting snake men for a flaming spear the other guy got from fighting salamanders.

Especially if we all got multiples of the things because we fought a lot of those.

And sometimes you find stuff they got when tehy fought others.
You're allowed to try. And the die roll should be open and fair. But if there isn't someone in your neighborhood who has a flaming spear to trade for your extra magic bow, then you don't fucking get one. Furthermore, if your last session ended and you were still in the middle of the fucking snake temple, you don't get to go on a shopping trip before next session.

If you're in a world that is persistently real and magic items are rare and special, then you have to do things in that world if you want one in particular. Ask around. Go on a quest to go get a magic item you want to have. Don't wander around in the woods and expect an upgrade of whatever you happen to be using to drop off a bear, because that is fucking stupid.

-Username17
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Wanting magical items to be special AND come at a predictable schedule is impossible.
That's not true. The range of useful magic items is quite big for every character. Just because that range isn't "any magic item, whatever it is" doesn't make it that small to remove special-ness.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Lago wrote:I still think that it's both bogus and sad that the only way Harry Potter or Batman or Green Lantern will only use an Excalibur, Iron Man suit, or Flying Carpet is if they get to reforge them into a magic wand, utility belt, or rocket boots.
Perhaps my knowledge of D&D is outdated, but aren't there things like weapon proficiencies and such? Don't you actually get penalized for using things you're not proficient with?
RadiantPhoenix wrote:Also, if you're somehow both an adventurer and not badass enough to use just about any weapon you come across, you don't deserve to call yourself a weapon-user.
What about armor?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.