ideas that need to go away

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Magic item creation in AD&D was hillariously simple if you met the level requirements. All it required was knowledge of a couple of key spells and the willingness to use some lateral thinking.

Special ingredients could be created with magic, or you could use a summoned creature to fetch it for you. CoP and other divinations for the win. True esoterica simply relied on your ability to bullshit the DM with a clever interpretation.

Only permentant (non charged) items required sacrificing Constitution. Magic Jar allowed you to sacrifice someone elses constitution. Don't forget that AD&D illusion rules were borked, so a Permenant Image of a Holy Avenger was almost as good as the real thing if you could convince the party paladin it was real.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I skim, especially when a pointless argument breaches two pages.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

ok prak.
Winnah wrote:Magic item creation in AD&D was hillariously simple if you met the level requirements. All it required was knowledge of a couple of key spells and the willingness to use some lateral thinking.

Special ingredients could be created with magic, or you could use a summoned creature to fetch it for you. CoP and other divinations for the win. True esoterica simply relied on your ability to bullshit the DM with a clever interpretation.

Only permentant (non charged) items required sacrificing Constitution. Magic Jar allowed you to sacrifice someone elses constitution. Don't forget that AD&D illusion rules were borked, so a Permenant Image of a Holy Avenger was almost as good as the real thing if you could convince the party paladin it was real.
i dont recall it being that hard in 3rd either...so i have no idea where this concept the DM must GIVE magic items comes form, since players could always make their own, and something simple as a weapon with a few more pluses on it....

im wondering where the problem is of players being unable to create their own stuff and NEED the DM to give it to them hand-picked for their special snowflake character?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Players may feel that item creation is complicated, costs too much (XP) wise, and don't want to give up their XP.

I consider this the players problem.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

That's an excellent point Shadzar. Beatsticks should not get special rewards tailored to their characters, as it would be unfair to the high level spellcaster, who worked hard to make their own rewards.

I'm sure Ayn Rand would agree with us here.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Winnah, shut up. The party caster can make weapons for the beatstick, or the party beatstick can play a tome fighter, or the group can use the "everyone helps craft" rules from (I think) UA.

Or, fuck forbid! The group starts asking around in character about (beatstick's desired weapon) and get directed towards a quest.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Prak_Anima wrote:Players may feel that item creation is complicated, costs too much (XP) wise, and don't want to give up their XP.

I consider this the players problem.
that is what i have been saying through this entire course of dialog...
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

When the player has a problem, it is out of the DM's hands. In fact, all possible issues that can arise in a game must be a result of player entitlement.

It's all so clear to me now.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That's not what I said at all. If a player feels the GM isn't supporting their shtick by putting a weapon that matches in the treasure, then they can make one. If their class doesn't have that ability, someone in the party should. If not, find an npc that can help.

If all of that fails, then yes, the GM may be the problem.

If the player doesn't want to make their weapon because they don't want to give up the xp, that's their problem.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So has anyone here had actual problems with this occuring in their sessions or is this all hypothetical
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

OgreBattle wrote:So has anyone here had actual problems with this occuring in their sessions or is this all hypothetical
since quite a few people in this thread have said they "deserve" and the DM "owes" them a pet weapon in treasure, i can only imagine it has and IS happening.

i have had people, prior to 3rd, try to hint at an item they would like to see in treasure, and that was ended real quick as they kept finding a Deck of Many Things each time they asked for something and learned to go try to make it themselves...
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

So, something that occurred to me:

Classes/Powers/whatever that depend on a particular (type of) item do still need to be defined such that every character with that class/power/whatever will get what they need. This does not mean that any of them need to have a tag that says, "at level X, you get Y," where Y is the thing they need. The class/power/w.e. can also have the prerequisite, "in order to get this [class/power/w.e.], you must have [Y]."
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

OgreBattle wrote:So has anyone here had actual problems with this occuring in their sessions or is this all hypothetical
I've seen it happen a few times, but only in 3.X/Pathfinder campaigns. 100% of the time, the players sold the weapon/item they didn't like and bought or crafted one they did.

echo
Niles
Apprentice

Post by Niles »

FrankTrollman wrote: Salamanders have flaming spears. You go fight a salamander, you get a fucking flaming spear. It's right there. It exists. If you want to play a game where the flaming spears on salamanders don't drop and you keep using a sword your whole life, go play some fucking World of Warcraft.
No, Salamanders have a racial ability that adds fire damage to their spear attacks, been that way since 1e at least.

In 3.5 it's called heat, look it up: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/salamander.htm
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Niles wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: Salamanders have flaming spears. You go fight a salamander, you get a fucking flaming spear. It's right there. It exists. If you want to play a game where the flaming spears on salamanders don't drop and you keep using a sword your whole life, go play some fucking World of Warcraft.
No, Salamanders have a racial ability that adds fire damage to their spear attacks, been that way since 1e at least.

In 3.5 it's called heat, look it up: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/salamander.htm
So Salamanders drop... completely normal spears. If the Salamander has a magical weapon, it could be literally anything, as a trophy from some other hapless adventurer that it killed, since Heat works providing the bonus fire damage to any metallic weapon, and as an outsider, if it exists he has proficiency with it.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Seerow wrote: So Salamanders drop... completely normal spears. If the Salamander has a magical weapon, it could be literally anything, as a trophy from some other hapless adventurer that it killed, since Heat works providing the bonus fire damage to any metallic weapon, and as an outsider, if it exists he has proficiency with it.
Nah, Salamanders wouldn't pick up and use magic weapons that aren't spears, it doesn't fit their monster concept.

So if an adventurer kills the salamander, he'll have to make due with the spear it drops and not complain.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

OgreBattle wrote:
Seerow wrote: So Salamanders drop... completely normal spears. If the Salamander has a magical weapon, it could be literally anything, as a trophy from some other hapless adventurer that it killed, since Heat works providing the bonus fire damage to any metallic weapon, and as an outsider, if it exists he has proficiency with it.
Nah, Salamanders wouldn't pick up and use magic weapons that aren't spears, it doesn't fit their monster concept.

So if an adventurer kills the salamander, he'll have to make due with the spear it drops and not complain.
And you best use that mundane spear it dropped, because that is character development. Using anything else (until you kill something else and steal its weapon) is just being a munchkin.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Seerow wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:

And you best use that mundane spear it dropped, because that is character development. Using anything else (until you kill something else and steal its weapon) is just being a munchkin.
No, no, no, munchkin is the buzzword you use when people call you on your idiocy on other forums, here it's basketweaver.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Chamomile wrote:
Seerow wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:

No, no, no, munchkin is the buzzword you use when people call you on your idiocy on other forums, here it's basketweaver.

I believe munchkin was the exact term shadzar used more than once. But basketweaver works too I guess.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I know I never suggested that bullshit. If you don't want the salamander's (all metal, and thus exotic in the regular sense, and thus able to fetch a higher price back home), I'm pretty sure no one's saying you have to take them.

I usually do though.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Noble Salamanders have magic spears. The salamander grunts have normal spears, but the leaders have magic spears. When you fights salamanders, you get a magic spear.

-Username17
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

FrankTrollman wrote:Noble Salamanders have magic spears. The salamander grunts have normal spears, but the leaders have magic spears. When you fights salamanders, you get a magic spear.

-Username17
Huh, that's weird.

On one hand, yes that SRD entry DOES say +3 longspear next to the noble salamander.

On the other hand, it's damage is listed as 1d8+9, with a 22 strength. A longspear is a 2 handed weapon... so its damage is calculated as though the spear is 100% non magical.

Hrm...and the attack bonus is +23, which is 1 less than it should have with a +3 weapon.

Fuck yeah retarded statblocks.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

He's large and uses a longspear one-handed. It's based on the 3e writeup and not converted to Andy Collins' shitty weapon size rules. Which means among other things, that it is a weapon you can use.

-Username17
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Fuchs wrote:So, idea that has to go away: That the fucking DM has to tell me how to play and equip my character. If the DM wants to decide what weapon I wield for me (by roll or choice), then he can play my character and I'll play something else.
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... l/20111004
A Tool for the DM

There's another aspect to magic items that doesn't get talked about much. Magic items also provide an interesting way for the DM to have a role in customizing characters. A good DM can subtly influence the way characters act and deal with challenges by what items he or she puts in the treasure hoards they uncover. For example, if the DM thinks it might be fun if the PC wizard summoned more monsters, he could place a brazier of fire elementals in the dungeon for her to find. If the DM would like to see more planar adventures in the campaign, the drow priestess the PCs defeat might possess a cubic gate. And so on. This means that the DM could place treasure (where appropriate) that he wants the characters to have rather than what the game system tells him they're supposed to have. And certainly not what the players are saying they're supposed to have.

Players can play a role in what items they acquire, but it's a story-based role, not a mechanical one.
If a wizard player wants to have a robe of the archmagi, she can research where one might be, learn what challenges must be overcome to obtain it, and undertake that quest, hopefully with the help of her friends. Thus, whether it’s a decision to go to the deeper level of the dungeon to get the better loot in general or a quest for a specific item, magic items could return to their original role, which is to be a driving force behind adventures.
:rofl: there goes everyone's shallow weapon-based character designs.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

That Monte Cook quote sounds awfully familiar. Is it from the 2nd ed DMG?