[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 40 - Dead of Night!

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Corridor
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I should have mentioned that the corridor is in fact the same section as the "wide and warm passage".
The broad corridor continues for quite some distance, twisting and turning, and, the further you go along it, the hotter it gets. Eventually you come to a straight stretch which ends at a large, open doorway. From within come the loud, grating sounds of bone on bone, and a tremendous wave of heat. Do you wish to enter this chamber, or do you prefer to retrace your steps back down the narrow passageway?
Are we about to enter the chamber and interrupt two love-making skeletons?
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

It's the bone furnace mk2! Quick, destroy it and weaken the Night Dragon Myurr!
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Enter. Nothing happened in the corridor that might have required setting up an explored flag, so this shouldn't be an instadeath.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Let's take a look at what's in the chamber:
Lovely....
You step into a huge cave . . . and are almost deafened by the noise of loud beating. Along the length of one wall is a bank of levers and dials connected by two vein-like pipes to a revolting, giant heart! The pipes, thick with gurgling evil fluids, are only part of a sprawling mass of pumps and valves performing unknown functions. The roof of the cavern is similarly coated with a twisted collection of organic, bone-bracketed tubes and hanging tentacles. Fumes rush out of vents in steam-like gusts, and the entire ramshackle structure looks as if pressure could make it explode at any moment. A Demonic Servant, working at the controls, sees you. rises and attacks. If you score two blows against it in two successive Attack Rounds, it is destroyed at once, irrespective of its current STAMINA score.

DEMONIC SERVANT SKILL 7 STAMINA 6

lf you win, turn to 309.
COBMAT LOG:
Demonic Servant 10, Sir Mansley 21. Servant is at 4.
Demonic Servant 16, Sir Mansley 18. Sir Mansley scores 2 consecutive hits and destroys Demonic Servant!

We just redeemed ourselves from that last fight with a new Flawless!
The heart is clearly part of the larger organism that comprises the entire building. Perhaps you can effect some harm to it from here? You go over to study the controls. All the various livers and switches centre round three main dials, each of which is connected to a different and major tube. One of the tubes throbs wildly and contains a red fluid; another pulsates more gently and holds a blue fluid; and the last tube, which doesn't move at all, holds a sickly green paste. All three go up to the heart and are lettered in Demonic script. If you have the SPEAK DEMON Talent, and wish to use it, turn to 177. If you do not have, or do not wish to use this Talent, tum to 93.
Use the Talent?
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I suppose that it'll enable us to read the script, so yeah.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

read the demonic languag
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sir Mansley loves to read foul languages.
You have no trouble understanding the runes. Over the Red Dial is written FEED, over the Blue Dial is DRAIN[/b] and over the Green Dial is ADDITIVE. Do you wish to turn the Red Dial, the Blue Dial, or the Green Dial? lf you'd rather not touch any of them, you must leave the room by the way you came in, as there are no other exits.
Do we want to try turning any of the dials?
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

I wonder what happens if we turn the Blue Dial to drain shit out of it.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Given that it needs to be fed, feeding it is not going to help us (unless we can feed it so much that it explodes, but that'd probably take us out with it). More Additive probably won't hurt it because I assume it's adding something beneficial. So just drain everything out of it with the blue dial.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

I wish it told us where the dials were turned, the red one might be on, we which wed be turning it off. I vote to try to turn off the food.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Blue option FTW!
You have dosed the heart's waste-outlet. Over a long period of time, this may poison the heart; already the organ is reacting by beating harder. (Make a note that you have turned the Blue Dial on your Adventure Sheet.) An alarm sounds and a section of the wall parts, freeing something with black, wet skin, many eyes and numerous appendages. Will you wait to see what it is or escape, running back the way you came?
The red dial actually turns off feeding, as Dr_Noface suspected, and would have been the best option, although the blue one is a close second.

Do we wait or run?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Damnit, I completely neglected to think about whether those could be turned off as opposed to turned up.

Anyhow, I guess we should try to kill this fucker lest it tries to fix the heart.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Fuck, I doubt this thing has any loot, but i kind of want to see what it is. Half vote for run
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Fuck running, we fight!
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Kill, maim, destroy!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sirocco wrote:Kill, maim, destroy!
Granted!
Curiosity has proved to be your downJall; the thing's bulk in no way hampers its lightning speed. You do not stand a chance against this timeless horror.
Unfortunately, we're the target of it!

I'd rewind and go with running away, but I'll do that in a separate post.

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Sir Mansley Girthrod
SKILL 10/10
STAMINA 15/19
LUCK 8/11
Evil: 1
Possessions: Nightbane (sword), robes & skull cap, Silver Cross, Holy Water (3 vials), Potion of Destiny (+4 LUCK)
Talents: Meditation, Sense Demon, Banish Undead, Speak Demon
Provisions: 7
Gold Pieces: 15
No. of Deaths: 2
Misc Notes: 1) Look for the 'Pyramid of Bone', 2) Turned the Blue Dial
Last edited by SGamerz on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Uh wut? I feel the complete invincibility of this timeless horror was not foreshadowed well.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed with Dr_Noface.

Can we hit the red switch this time?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Flipping into a third alternate universe.....
Walking down the corridor, you come to some steps cut in the side of the wall. They lead upwards to a closed wooden hatch. Looking further along the corridor, you can see that the walls grow increasingly narrow. Will you climb up the ladder or continue down the narrow corridor, if you have not been this way already?
This was the same hatch we came across earlier. We've already been down the other corridor (where we tried to free the prisoners) so I guess there's only one way.
You climb up through the hatch, to find yourself in a short corridor. There is a closed, unguarded door to your right, and an open archway to your left. Beyond the arch is another open door, through which shines sunlight. However, a trio of Demonic Servants stand between you and this exit, their sparkling red eyes betraying a telepathic link with their master, Myurr. Will you turn right and open the closed door, or attack the guards by the exit?
Demonic Servants are pretty flimsy, so I don't think we'd have much trouble getting through them to the exit....but do we want to leave yet? Have we done enough damage?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Agreed with Dr_Noface.

Can we hit the red switch this time?
Missed this one while I was posting. I suppose I can do that, but only if the majority vote for it. I know some don't like too much retconning unless it's necessary. Turning the Blue dial wasn't a bad option, just not the best one, so it wasn't really a choice that would necessarily screw us over.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Let's just continue on then.

I'd check out the door first, though.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

I'm neutral about hitting the red switch, but I vote for penetrating the cloed door.

Also fuck that instadeath bullshit.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We're not done with you yet, organic tentacle building! Giving you constipation was merely the first step!
You have entered the core of the building: a circular chamber lined with veins, pipes and grasping tentacles. A few Demonic Servants are attending strange devices, while others are pushing a train of human captives into a living furnace, shaped like a worm's mouth lined with sharp teeth! There must be some mind-dulling magic at work here, as no one would walk quietly, the way these prisoners do, towards their doom. Mounted on a pedestal in the centre of the room is a Death-Stone...now you understand. The building, having literally grown from this rare and sentient artefact, is a Land-Blight Powered by the consumption of living being, its sole purpose is to produce and emit foul gases which corrupt wholesome land, in readiness for Demonic occupation. You have already seen the signs of a Demon army sweeping south from the Cragrocks, clearing the way for this obscenity to be built. Myurr must be planning an invasion - but you know of no way by which he can import the thousands of Demons, needed to make the occupation permanent on to the Earthly Plane. Now, will you destroy the worm-furnace, or ignore the plight of the prisoners and try to deal with the Death-Stone?
Ok, at least now there's some reason given for why the prisoners refused to run....

Which part do we destroy first?
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Rek the Deathstone, that should shut down the furnace. Or negate the mindfuckery, and then the prisoners can help themselves.
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.