Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

and that works for "drop one functions?"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

If you hopped into Ur-Priest at level 10, is it still broken? I.e., if you wait late enough that your spellcasting stays behind a primary spellcaster's?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fectin wrote:If you hopped into Ur-Priest at level 10, is it still broken? I.e., if you wait late enough that your spellcasting stays behind a primary spellcaster's?
1) Are you going to use it to get CL significantly higher than a standard character? Then it might be too strong, depending on when you get that CL, and what you intend to do with it.

2) In any case, yes. It is absurdly broken, because any character taking their first levels in Ur-Priest at levels 11-15 might as well be taking levels in Monk.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

1) I forgot that part completely. So intend to, no, but realistically, probably.

2) Agree. I should have asked if that's enough sandbagging to keep it playing the same game as other classes.

With Caster 9/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic theurge 9, you'd hit CL 20 at level 20 (barring shennanigans), and I think there's no point where that character is noticeably better than Caster 20. Above level 20, I don't know or care.
Last edited by fectin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
jadagul
Master

Post by jadagul »

Prak_Anima wrote:and that works for "drop one functions?"
If you follow his first link, yeah, it does. The format seems to be "output (1..x) ndk" where you want to roll ndk and take the best x of them.

In general, calculating the kind of things you're asking for with a formula is actually pretty difficult--you either list all the possibilities and count them up (which I assume is what anydice is doing) or you run a monte carlo simulation, which requires a bit of coding knowledge. But it seems someone has done the coding so you can just steal their work.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Do multiple sources of concealment stack? Specifically, say my drow wizard uses his Darkness spell like, then casts Veil of Shadow. Does he now have better than normal concealment? Can he now attack creatures in the darkness with impunity, using his Faerie Fire spell like to negate his chance to miss them?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Either they overlap, or it's not additive (total of 36% miss chance; the same as rolling 2x 20%). I think it depends on the wording and on how generous your DM is with reading it. It would never be 40%.

(I think)
Last edited by fectin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Prak_Anima wrote:Do multiple sources of concealment stack? Specifically, say my drow wizard uses his Darkness spell like, then casts Veil of Shadow. Does he now have better than normal concealment? Can he now attack creatures in the darkness with impunity, using his Faerie Fire spell like to negate his chance to miss them?
My PHB says this:
PHB #152 wrote:Multiple concealment conditions (such as a defender in a dog and under the effect of a blur spell) do not stack.
I think it should say in a fog though tbh.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Being inside a dog would, in fact, provide you with concealment. Probably total concealment unless its an incorporeal dog.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Sigil wrote:Being inside a dog would, in fact, provide you with concealment. Probably total concealment unless its an incorporeal dog.
you'd probably have a whole different set of problems when you're inside a dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Next character: druid with an awakened dog lover.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Damnit Prak, you're reminding me of when a friend playing a Druid asked what would happen if said Druid awakened his bear animal companion, wildshaped into a bear and mated with it.

Since then there's a recurring joke amongst my group that said friend has a bear fetish.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Well, a bear fetish would explain all the burly, hairy dudes he's been dating.
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

Before this thread goes any further, I think it might be a good idea to remind everyone about the ground rules for this kind of situation.

PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Damnit Prak, you're reminding me of when a friend playing a Druid asked what would happen if said Druid awakened his bear animal companion, wildshaped into a bear and mated with it.
Reminds me of this.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Alright, here's a game question.

For years, I've been using templated undead a great deal, making all undead similar to Vampire/Vampire Spawn (A 1-3 HD humanoid becomes a ghoul, a 4 hd humanoid becomes a ghast, anything with 5 or more becomes a Gravetouched Ghoul, and so forth for all spawning undead or undead created by spells). Since in-depth analysis from a roleplaying perspective is something this board is rather notorious for, what would be the ramifications of that rule?

The only thing I can think of is if you're powerful enough, a necromancer can bring you back to (un)life easier than a cleric can, except you come back "wrong". I am actually okay with that, it adds an interesting bit of flavor to my campaign. Also, you run the risk of creating an undead you can't control of the host body was powerful enough (which is cool as fuck, and since you can get templated undead a necromancer might just risk animating a powerful leveled humanoid to have a more powerful minion despite the risks).

Anything else that rule might change? I'm OK with changing the status quo to something more of my own, but I want to be aware before they happen.
Last edited by Ted the Flayer on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

The best way for the BBEG to deal with a party of adventurers who might eventually level up and threaten him is to kill them and turn them into undead. Not because he would have control over them, but because that would permanently fuck up their leveling.

Killing someone costs them one level. Killing them and turning them into undead gives them a bunch of LA, so the get less XP for fights, and they can't gain levels at all for several levels, and then they will be spell levels behind forever.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
K
King

Post by K »

Tumbling Down wrote:Before this thread goes any further, I think it might be a good idea to remind everyone about the ground rules for this kind of situation.

Shouldn't "does it consent?" be in there somewhere?
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I think that's the point of #2.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Kaelik wrote:The best way for the BBEG to deal with a party of adventurers who might eventually level up and threaten him is to kill them and turn them into undead. Not because he would have control over them, but because that would permanently fuck up their leveling.

Killing someone costs them one level. Killing them and turning them into undead gives them a bunch of LA, so the get less XP for fights, and they can't gain levels at all for several levels, and then they will be spell levels behind forever.
Interesting.

Is it still possible to "cure" undeath by dying then getting a proper resurrection? I remember that was the case in 2E as long as the undead was willing (and most weren't, it was mostly a way to get PC characters that got turned into vampires or wights back).
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Yes.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Ted the Flayer wrote:Is it still possible to "cure" undeath by dying then getting a proper resurrection? I remember that was the case in 2E as long as the undead was willing (and most weren't, it was mostly a way to get PC characters that got turned into vampires or wights back).
If by proper you mean True Resurrection, the 9th level spell, then yes.

If by proper you mean Resurrection the spell, then it depends on what you were turned into. I'm assuming that Necromancer was a variety of choices, not only ghouls and ghasts and nothing else, in which case turning them into any kind of incorporeal undead basically negates this spell.

If by proper you mean Raise Dead, then definitely not, because Raise Dead can't raise zombies who are killed into either zombies or people.

Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Damnit Prak, you're reminding me of when a friend playing a Druid asked what would happen if said Druid awakened his bear animal companion, wildshaped into a bear and mated with it.

Since then there's a recurring joke amongst my group that said friend has a bear fetish.
How do you think you get Ursinethropes?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

[Dark Mind] Undead are not immune to [Mind Affecting] effects, but are immune to Morale effects. Does this include their own Morale Bonuses, or can they choose to let their own Good Hope affect them?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I'm trying to make an easy Utterdark Assault Necromancer for an NPC that a player might pick up, so I was going off the spherelock. Are these OK ideas if I want to stay on par of the balance level?
  • A feat that gives you the [Cold] subtype and makes eldritch blast inherently cold damage instead of fire.
  • Changing the summon outsiders ability to instead grant a bonus [Undead Creation] feat.
  • Applying the ghost template to a CR 1/2 creature to make it 2 since I don't know how fractional CR works.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.