Abortion ... the wiki

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

RobbyPants wrote:I just realized something after looking at the first page again. Pretty quickly, Tzor was called out by multiple posters that the whole life-begins-at-conception rhetoric has some serious logical consequences.
No, I'm just rejecting the strawman object that the only solutions are either totally irnoring their existance or having their rights always and perpetually trump the life of the woman. These idiots are trying to argue both sides of the argument at the same time and I'm not playing their game.

The notion that life begin at conception does not make every woman who fails to implant an ambryo a murderer. Homey ain't playing that game.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

tzor wrote:No, I'm just rejecting the strawman object that the only solutions are either totally irnoring their existance or having their rights always and perpetually trump the life of the woman. These idiots are trying to argue both sides of the argument at the same time and I'm not playing their game.
Why? How are they different? If it's a fully viable human at conception, how is it not reckless to put them at risk? Does this have something to do with intent? What's the difference?

tzor wrote:The notion that life begin at conception does not make every woman who fails to implant an ambryo a murderer. Homey ain't playing that game.
Whoa! Who's strawmanning, now? Either they're humans or not. Even still, it takes two to make a baby.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

RobbyPants wrote:Why? How are they different? If it's a fully viable human at conception, how is it not reckless to put them at risk? Does this have something to do with intent? What's the difference?
The basic arugment has to do with the conflict between fundamentally differing rights. The strongest case involves the direct threat to the mother. This is a case where the "right" to life is pitted against the "right" to life. Really you could argue both ways here, but I can see the argument where the right of the monther trumps the right of the child.

The next level of comlpexity is a rarer case, the case where the right to life of the child is in conflict with the right to life of the child. This is a tremendously crappy situation as the doctor makes the arbitrary decision of which fetus lives and which ones does not. (Note when there is not a threat to life, in other words the culling is just becuse the mother wants less babies and not that there is a good chance both will die, the argument is different.)

One also needs to consider long term viability as well.

One also needs to remember that dead pre-born babies don't count. (And yes that include brain dead pre-born babies.)
RobbyPants wrote:
tzor wrote:The notion that life begin at conception does not make every woman who fails to implant an ambryo a murderer. Homey ain't playing that game.
Whoa! Who's strawmanning, now? Either they're humans or not. Even still, it takes two to make a baby.
Here you get to intent and ability. Here is an example: a man driving a car has a heart attack. The car jumps the divder has a head on collision killing the other driver. Is that person a murderer? Or was that other person not human and thus we can ignore the problem? (Or perhaps such binary either or questions are STUPID?)

Most women who somehow conceive and fail to implant are not committing murder. They lack both intent and even knoweledge. (It's not like every embryo once conceived sends a text message to the mother.) They may not even be aware.

The case is complicated for a woman who takes the morning after pill. There is some form of slight intent but the actual knowledge is not there. There is even the question of whether the embryo would have implanted without the morning after pill so there is the question of whether the pill was the direct cause of the failure to implant. (I'd call that "reasonable doubt.")

But once you have implanted the embryo and it becomes a fetus, it's hard to avoid intent and knoeledge.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

tzor wrote:
Whatever wrote:No, you fuckwit.

Here are four positions on this issue, maybe this will help clarify things for you:
Really? A duplicated BINARY option? (Having and access is a significant degree of duplication.) There is no middle ground?

And I'm the fuckwit?

Whatever, Whatever.
So you're seriously doubling down on "planned parenthood is conspiring to abort ALL THE BABIES"? Really? Really?
tzor wrote:Here you get to intent and ability. Here is an example: a man driving a car has a heart attack. The car jumps the divder has a head on collision killing the other driver. Is that person a murderer? Or was that other person not human and thus we can ignore the problem? (Or perhaps such binary either or questions are STUPID?)
It's obviously not murder, but driving with that kind of heart condition could easily be reckless enough to justify manslaughter charges. Which was the fucking point. When you're aware of a risk and go ahead and act anyway, that's enough for legal culpability.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Whatever wrote:So you're seriously doubling down on "planned parenthood is conspiring to abort ALL THE BABIES"? Really? Really?
I'm not sure how we went from here to there, but whatever, Whatever.

Planned Parenthood has an interest in supporting increased abortions. You don't get much money to recommend a condom. They stoped doing breast exams years ago. "ALL THE BABIES" may be an argument to absurdity but clearly enough to pay the bills.
Whatever wrote:It's obviously not murder, but driving with that kind of heart condition could easily be reckless enough to justify manslaughter charges. Which was the fucking point. When you're aware of a risk and go ahead and act anyway, that's enough for legal culpability.
Who said anything about a condition, or at the very least a known condition? People who are not belived to be at risk for things still get those things. I've seen stories of student athletes who suddenly croaked right on the field because they had a exceptionally rare and almost impossible to detect heart condition.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Tzor, your complete ignorance of everything ever is showing.

But specifically, the law in this case.

If you consciously disregard a substantial risk, then you are acting recklessly with respect to if that risked action occurs.

Manslaughter is recklessly causing the death of another human being.

Therefore, if you consciously disregard a substantial risk of causing the death of a human being, you have committed Manslaughter.

If the egg counts as a person, then in fact, having sex at all is in all cases, aside from people who have absolutely no knowledge of the human reproductive system, manslaughter.

If personhood begins at conception, then everyone needs to go to jail right the fuck now.

Except of course, that you are completely wrong, and personhood doesn't begin at conception. Learn to think past the most basic and obvious logical consequences of your beliefs.

While you are at it, stop defending rape, since you still haven't condemned the earlier rape law, and stop claiming that Planned Parenthood is forcing people to abort children against their will.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Whatever wrote:So you're seriously doubling down on "planned parenthood is conspiring to abort ALL THE BABIES"? Really? Really?
Oh, it's at least a tripling down.
tzor wrote:
PoliteNewb wrote:Wow, thanks for enlightening me Tzor, I had no idea that in states that allow a woman's right to choose, EVERY FETUS IS ALWAYS ABORTED. Thank you for opening my eyes to how there is no choice at all, ever.
If Planned Parenthood got their way, yes. They would be your one stop shop for all your pregnancy problems and they would have their one simple solution.
Tzor really does seem to believe that Planned Parenthood (and by extension the pro-choice movement) is run by cartoon villains who want to destroy babies for reasons. It's like he got his education on the subject from a really disturbing Captain Planet analogue. No word yet on whether they also want to blow up the ocean.

So it's not really surprising that Tzor also apparently believes that the government is actually empowered to forcibly seize all of your organs for an indefinite period (that being what he claims the draft is, instead of, you know, a job with pay and everything). It demonstrates a non-understanding of the actualities of law so complete that I honestly begin to wonder how he even functions in society. Well, that when compounded with the 'consent' issue.

But again, I'm pretty sure he doesn't even try to reconcile how a country could assert the 'forcibly seize all your organs' power with even the most basic of personal property rights, let alone the extremely strong U.S. personal property rights. It's just one more step on his path of 'assertions he didn't think about the implications of.'
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

tzor wrote:They stoped doing breast exams years ago.
What are your sources for that? Because they were doing them at least as recently as June 2011.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

tzor wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:Why? How are they different? If it's a fully viable human at conception, how is it not reckless to put them at risk? Does this have something to do with intent? What's the difference?
The basic arugment has to do with the conflict between fundamentally differing rights. The strongest case involves the direct threat to the mother. This is a case where the "right" to life is pitted against the "right" to life. Really you could argue both ways here, but I can see the argument where the right of the monther trumps the right of the child.

The next level of comlpexity is a rarer case, the case where the right to life of the child is in conflict with the right to life of the child. This is a tremendously crappy situation as the doctor makes the arbitrary decision of which fetus lives and which ones does not. (Note when there is not a threat to life, in other words the culling is just becuse the mother wants less babies and not that there is a good chance both will die, the argument is different.)

One also needs to consider long term viability as well.

One also needs to remember that dead pre-born babies don't count. (And yes that include brain dead pre-born babies.)
This all seems like a non-sequitur from what I asked. My question was why are fetuses babies when it comes to abortion but not procreation. Nevertheless, it looks like you sort of covered that below...

tzor wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:
Here you get to intent and ability. Here is an example: a man driving a car has a heart attack. The car jumps the divder has a head on collision killing the other driver. Is that person a murderer? Or was that other person not human and thus we can ignore the problem? (Or perhaps such binary either or questions are STUPID?)

Most women who somehow conceive and fail to implant are not committing murder. They lack both intent and even knoweledge. (It's not like every embryo once conceived sends a text message to the mother.) They may not even be aware.

The case is complicated for a woman who takes the morning after pill. There is some form of slight intent but the actual knowledge is not there. There is even the question of whether the embryo would have implanted without the morning after pill so there is the question of whether the pill was the direct cause of the failure to implant. (I'd call that "reasonable doubt.")

But once you have implanted the embryo and it becomes a fetus, it's hard to avoid intent and knoeledge.
Well, it looks like Kaelik already covered it, but I'll answer since it was directed at me.

The difference between heart-attack guy crashing a car and woman failing to implant is that heart-attack guy didn't choose to engage in a reckless action (unless he somehow knew the heart-attack was imminent). Since we already know about the high rate of failure-to-implant, the woman does know she's engaging in a reckless action (if we consider the pre-implanted fetus a human with rights).

A better analogy for heart-attack-guy would be someone who gets drunk and then chooses to drive. Sure, his intention is to get home (like the woman's intention is to make a baby, not kill one), but they both know the risks.

The point is, if pre-implanted fetuses are humans capable of being killed, then that risk is predictable. Period. And no, I don't think we should consider parents who procreate murderers any more than I think we should consider pre-implanted fetuses humans with rights. That's the whole point! Life at conception carries bizarre logical consequences.

Also, why do you keep insisting only the woman would be a murderer in these cases? It takes two people to make babies.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

If you engage in activity X, and activity X is likely to cause the death of a human being despite your intent, activity X is recklessly endangering human lives.

If you get behind the wheel drunk, you are likely to kill someone even though you don't mean to. You are recklessly endangering human lives.

If you have sex, you are likely to kill a fetus even though you don't mean to. You are recklessly endangering a fetus's life.

If fetus == human being, then sex is in the same class as drunk driving, and that's illegally reckless. Even moreso than drunk driving. Sex is not an accident that happens when people don't expect it, so your analogy blows, Tzor.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:But again, I'm pretty sure he doesn't even try to reconcile how a country could assert the 'forcibly seize all your organs' power with even the most basic of personal property rights, let alone the extremely strong U.S. personal property rights. It's just one more step on his path of 'assertions he didn't think about the implications of.'
Apologies, as this is kind of a derail (but then, this thread is pretty much everyone pointing out tzor's idiocy, so we could probably use a break).

How do you consider personal property rights in the US to be "extremely strong"? Right now, anything I own can be seized by the government without cause and often without compensation, through a combination of eminent domain and asset forfeiture laws. I can contest this through the courts, but that is a long and expensive process with a pretty small likelihood of my getting my stuff back.
This is not even a hypothetical; this crap has happened to people.

So, how do you figure?
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

it works out well if you understand that only Corporations have strong personal property rights.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

PoliteNewb wrote: Apologies, as this is kind of a derail (but then, this thread is pretty much everyone pointing out tzor's idiocy, so we could probably use a break).

How do you consider personal property rights in the US to be "extremely strong"? Right now, anything I own can be seized by the government without cause and often without compensation, through a combination of eminent domain and asset forfeiture laws. I can contest this through the courts, but that is a long and expensive process with a pretty small likelihood of my getting my stuff back.

So, how do you figure?
The Heritage Foundation is a conservatard propaganda mill that pushes for privatization of fucking everything all the time. They have a world ranking of countries based on the strength of their property rights. They unqualifyingly assert that stronger property rights are good and weaker property rights are bad. They even categorize things in incredibly loaded language - strong private property is called "free" and state property is "repressed".

And while I don't agree with their categorization of the debate, I think it is fairly non-contentious that considering how much they care about this exact issue that they would be able to rank countries fairly effectively from most to least guarantees of rights of personal property. In their classification, the United States comes in 10th in the world.

And while I don't think that being Hong Kong (Heritage #1 for private property) or Mauritius (Heritage #8) is something for a country to aspire to, I am willing to say that those rankings do correspond to private property rights on a global scale in a probably fairly direct way. And #10 in the world certainly counts as "strong" by almost any definition. And let's be honest: four of the countries above the US on that list are bullshit island tax havens (five if you count New Zealand - burn).

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

PoliteNewb wrote:
angelfromanotherpin wrote:But again, I'm pretty sure he doesn't even try to reconcile how a country could assert the 'forcibly seize all your organs' power with even the most basic of personal property rights, let alone the extremely strong U.S. personal property rights. It's just one more step on his path of 'assertions he didn't think about the implications of.'
Apologies, as this is kind of a derail (but then, this thread is pretty much everyone pointing out tzor's idiocy, so we could probably use a break).

So, how do you figure?
As a further addition to what Frank said, you are kind of totally wrong. We have a constitutional protection against uncompensated takings (from the federal government) so you do in fact get payed. And unlike most countries, the government has to show that it did so for a really good reason in pursuit of some legitimate end, as opposed to just saying "Because."

Asset forfeiture doesn't even count, because that has to be criminally related, and is therefore not any different than a fine property right wise, it's not anti property rights to take property from criminals.

So yes, the US has extremely strong property rights, because we get to keep our shit, and/or get payed for our shit.

Of course, I have no idea how the Heritage Foundation treats adverse possession or replevin issues, but I think that is really just property right neutral in any respect.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Kaelik wrote:As a further addition to what Frank said, you are kind of totally wrong. We have a constitutional protection against uncompensated takings (from the federal government) so you do in fact get payed. And unlike most countries, the government has to show that it did so for a really good reason in pursuit of some legitimate end, as opposed to just saying "Because."
Too bad that Kelo v. New London more or less solidified that "a legitimate end" can include giving it to real estate developers, to better profit the city's tax coffers (even if they end up not doing that, as in New London).

And yes, you are compensated for eminent domain...I was referring to the fact that you are not compensated for asset forfeiture (more on this below).
Asset forfeiture doesn't even count, because that has to be criminally related, and is therefore not any different than a fine property right wise, it's not anti property rights to take property from criminals.
Too bad they don't need to charge you with a crime or prove any crime was even committed in order to take your stuff.
So yes, the US has extremely strong property rights, because we get to keep our shit, and/or get payed for our shit.
Unless the government claims you're a drug dealer and takes your money. Then good luck getting it back.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

PoliteNewb wrote:Too bad they don't need to charge you with a crime or prove any crime was even committed in order to take your stuff.
Unless the government claims you're a drug dealer and takes your money. Then good luck getting it back.
Can you link to an example of this happening? I've heard it before, but not from a reliable source.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I find it fundamentally asinine to complain about how if the government incorrectly uses it's police power, then property rights are weak.

Well yes, but on the other hand, if the government incorrectly uses it's police power, you could also be locked in jail, or executed.

Do you have any compelling evidence that "lots" of non drug dealers are being incorrectly asset seized? No, of course not. Nor do I have any compelling evidence of "lots" of false murder convictions.

So if I'm not going to say that the US has weak protections of those accused of crimes just because it's possible for innocent people to be convicted, why on the same evidence would you expect me to agree that we have weak property rights because it's possible for the government to accidentally asset seize from the wrong person?
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Kaelik wrote:I find it fundamentally asinine to complain about how if the government incorrectly uses it's police power, then property rights are weak.

Well yes, but on the other hand, if the government incorrectly uses it's police power, you could also be locked in jail, or executed.
Asset seizure laws are typically written to force the courts to assume you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. That's literally the government giving the power to the police to make shit up, and forcing you to prove them wrong on a minutely detailed scale to get anywhere against it, after they just took all your money.
Do you have any compelling evidence that "lots" of non drug dealers are being incorrectly asset seized? No, of course not.
It's happening for copyright infringement now too. State takes all your money and assets and then you get to try and prove yourself completely innocent of whatever story they told a judge, without them needing to present any evidence of a crime.

In New Zealand a very similar law is routinely used against people after they are found innocent of some drug crime or another, and it was explicitly promoted that way by politicians when they passed it. To "get" the people they can't convict, designed to punish people when evidence of a crime is lacking. It's complete and utter bullshit.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

tzor wrote:
Planned Parenthood has an interest in supporting increased abortions. You don't get much money to recommend a condom. They stoped doing breast exams years ago. "ALL THE BABIES" may be an argument to absurdity but clearly enough to pay the bills.
This is a case of you simply not having the first fucking clue about what you were talking about. If PP performed every abortion in the US every year, and that's all they did, they wouldn't have enough money to keep the fucking lights on. It's 3% of their revenue. Most of what PP does is STD tests, prenatal care and sex education outreach.

What's hilariously about your "getting rich off of abortion" bullshit is the fact that the prenatal care costs for carrying the fetus to term are far, far greater than the cost of an abortion.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Here is a piece on asset forfeiture overall; it provides mainly generalities and statistics, but does include a specific case (that of Anthony Smelley).

Smelley did, eventually, get his money back (as detailed in this follow up piece). But that doesn't change the fact that it took a lot of time, effort, and money simply to get back what was his in the first place.

Here is another article (this one from the detroit news) about using asset forfeiture for legalized extortion.

And here is a piece from the Arizona Law Review, which details several cases of abuse.

Kaelik, I will concede that you and Frank have made a reasonable argument for how this does not invalidate the US having strong overall property rights.

That said, I still think you're off-base. These are not accidents, nor are they isolated incidents, and they are not used "only against criminals".

--AngelFromAnotherPin

--Shadzar
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Nor are executions only used against criminals, or always accidents when they are misapplied.

But I see no evidence in any of what you presented that asset forfeiture is a greater problem than cops shooting innocent suspects, or false convictions resulting in the death penalty.

Across 300 million people, there are always going to be incorrect usages of police power, but their existence does not change the basic characteristics of the laws themselves. Which are pro defendant and pro property rights.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Okay, the figures in the first article came from different years, but assuming the average forfeiture size remained constant, there were ~forty thousand seizures in 1996. Considering that some number of those were probably legit, that doesn't seem anything like a reason to proclaim we have poor property rights.

Granted, it does seem they could maybe do with some improvement, but it's still pretty good.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Kaelik wrote:But I see no evidence in any of what you presented that asset forfeiture is a greater problem than cops shooting innocent suspects, or false convictions resulting in the death penalty.
I don't believe I ever claimed it was. I think those are big problems as well.
name here wrote:Considering that some number of those were probably legit, that doesn't seem anything like a reason to proclaim we have poor property rights.
That would be why I conceded the point.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

--Shadzar
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Planned Parenthood Vs. Komen: Women's Health Giants Face Off Over Abortion

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/02 ... r-abortion

Game On,
fbmf
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yeah, Komen's bullshit is bullshit. The 'official investigation' line doesn't seem to have caused them to break off their relationship with, for instance, Bank of America.