Unsorted Material

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Re: Unsorted Material

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

The goal of the +1 ability was to make it exactly what TWF is, just with a single weapon, using TWF as the balancing point. Perhaps it could be worded so as to eliminate the TWF(armor spikes) loophole?

I'll admit the +6 steps on Combat Looting's toes, but there needs to be something so the feat doesn't de-activate itself.

+11 - I consider this superior to "Make a feint attack before each attack".

+16 - admittedly I don't know what the game is like at this level. I was expecting a character to Power Attack away that bonus, and then multiply it by 3 or so with the critical hit for a 20*2*3=120. This makes it better than the ToB maneuver, but still not that great.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Bump!
Sticky?
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Yeah! Cmon. Why not? At least give a reason.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
norms29
Master

Post by norms29 »

I thought we were going to pin this with the rest of the tome material?
After all, when you climb Mt. Kon Foo Sing to fight Grand Master Hung Lo and prove that your "Squirrel Chases the Jam-Coated Tiger" style is better than his "Dead Cockroach Flails Legs" style, you unleash a bunch of your SCtJCT moves, not wait for him to launch DCFL attacks and then just sit there and parry all day. And you certainly don't, having been kicked about, then say "Well you served me shitty tea before our battle" and go home.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Would a vampiric weapon be a lesser quality, under the Book of Gears rules (negative energy based effect, wielder heals an amount equal to the damage he deals)?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Looks like a lot of the material was cut off in the board transition...
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Was there any material concerning magic item creation that was lost in the transition?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

virgileso wrote:Was there any material concerning magic item creation that was lost in the transition?
A fvcking lot. Look at the .pdf, it has all.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Found it. But that's more along the lines of statting up magic items. What happens if you have a player that wants to take a feat in Craft Magic Arms and Armor? What's the timeframe to make a magic item, especially if it's something like a wand of shout? Heck, what level do you have to be to make a lesser/moderate/greater magic weapon?
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

virgileso wrote:Found it. But that's more along the lines of statting up magic items. What happens if you have a player that wants to take a feat in Craft Magic Arms and Armor? What's the timeframe to make a magic item, especially if it's something like a wand of shout? Heck, what level do you have to be to make a lesser/moderate/greater magic weapon?
Nothing of that was done (or posted)? :(
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

It would seem so. 'Tis a shame.

One thing I thought of, is using Leadership in a off-beat manner. Instead of having a normal PC-style cohort, what if your cohort was some really awesome magic item (maybe sentient)? You could have your followers be the literal pit crew that performs maintenance & installs upgrades on this magic item, having it float in the center of a magic circle while they 'technicians' cast their spells and precisely weave their spells together to do their job.

This is sort of a D&D/fantasy analog to a gundam, which allows our magic item to range from a golem to a dagger or to whatever other magic item exists (especially since 'normal' people can perform the role of mobile siege tank).
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Should magic items from the Book of Gears that go beyond simple bonuses avoid mixing additional abilities? As in, should you avoid having a single magic cloak that improves both saves and charisma? This would indicate that once you add the basic bonus, any bigger items will have the basic bonus, and have other abilities that expand upon that theme; such as a +saves item granting Mettle/Evasion.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I'd avoid combining basic magic item types in general, as that seems to go directly against the idea of having 'slots'. With greater magic items, just go with what makes sense and hope it won't need damage control later.

Your idea of expanding basic magic items with appropriate non-bonus abilities seems like a great way to get 'special' magic items. Most special magic swords should probably be 'magic swords' with a few specials attached (adds poison, deals fire & slashing damage, can talk, turns into an eagle, etc).
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I've wondered about the fact that you have the Eight Item Limit and how potions/scrolls "fist game balance" under that system. What if you just have something like the Two Potion Rule, where you can't be under the influence of more than two consumables at a time?

Healing potions are exempt because they're instantaneous in duration, and thus limited-use activation items and aren't even a concern in the Eight Item Limit, as the real balance concern was the whole 'free buffs' angle w/potions.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

A substantially less satisfying but possibly workable rule is also the n consumable rule, where for no reason whatsoever when you add an n+1st consumable to your person it explodes.

Okay, maybe that's not such a good idea after all as I can already think of ways to get around it. You're probably on the right track.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

You could very easily have a flavor of potion toxicity like in "The Witcher" or something. Your body can only take so much magic crap running around in your body before it's just too much and it's no longer good for you.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I was just figuring it would work in a manner not unlike the Eight Item Limit, further potions are inert when entering a system that's already 'full'.

Not to say you couldn't have arbitrary/unique plots where potion miscibility renders an otyugh (lives in sewer below a wizard) sterile, fire breathing, and dangerously allergic to silver.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Considering that casters could have 6-8 real buffs (in 10/level and hour/level spells) up all the time that weren't limited to being low level, I don't feel that potions have ever been a problem.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Caedrus wrote:You could very easily have a flavor of potion toxicity like in "The Witcher" or something. Your body can only take so much magic crap running around in your body before it's just too much and it's no longer good for you.
Make sure to also deal with potion addiction.

"Cleric Hovel, what's your diagnosis for this patient who is slowly turning into an ooze?"
"...I NEED MORE POTIONS!"
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

ubernoob wrote:Considering that casters could have 6-8 real buffs (in 10/level and hour/level spells) up all the time that weren't limited to being low level, I don't feel that potions have ever been a problem.
I'd claim that the buff layering was a problem in the first place.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Scrolls in a Wish economy can quickly turn into the "everyone casts a level 9 spell this round" game pretty quick, where class abilities are meaningless and whoever has the most Spellfu to find NoSave/NoSR spells wins the quickdraw.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

SunTzuWarmaster wrote:Scrolls in a Wish economy can quickly turn into the "everyone casts a level 9 spell this round" game pretty quick, where class abilities are meaningless and whoever has the most Spellfu to find NoSave/NoSR spells wins the quickdraw.
In other words, Gate spam comes 6 levels early?

But seriously. Having large numbers of buffs on your person is called 'being level appropriate' at the levels where you can actually afford to do that. Potions are overpriced bits of Fail anyways, so who cares?

Scrolls become a problem with infinite cash + Gate spam but otherwise aren't that big a deal.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

It isn't just a problem with Gate, but any spell higher than the ones you can normally cast. In a Wish economy, you can literally have ∞ scrolls (as written). As a full caster, you may as well not bother preparing any spells in your spell slots. What use is your 5th level teleport when you can Wish Greater Teleport (or scroll)? What use is your Summon Monster 5, when you have ∞ scrolls of Summon Monster 9? Why bother doing damage to monsters when you can Power Word Kill them. People seriously start to enter the Wish economy around level 11, and anyone with "Casts Spells" or UMD on their character sheet can standby and spam Elemental Monoliths or whatever.

Obviously, this never really sees play (because it is fairly far from fun, even in a CRPG), but serves to illustrate the point of having ∞ scrolls.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I always though that the 'combusting scroll' idea was stupid, so I have no problem altering scrolls to work otherwise. Currently I'm treating them like spells in a spellbook, save that a character can use a held scroll to castvert the scribed spell spontaneously.

It's still quite powerful when you can get them in unlimited quantities, but they don't allow for obscene prebuffing.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack