[LP] Lesser-Known Gamebooks: The Cretan Chronicles.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

One of the nymphs spots you, and cries out to her companions. A satyr gestures to you, beckoning, and soon you find nymphs pulling you into the dance. You try to resist but it is to no avail.
'Stranger,' booms one of the satyrs, as you step forward, 'come, join our revels.' A goblet is thrust into one of your hands as the music starts afresh. A nymph slips her hand into yours, and and the dancing begins afresh. The jot blood pounds in your veins, and as the hours pass you drink deeply of the vine's fruit, and forget yourself in the blissful oblivion of Dionysus.
You awaken the next morning, your head throbbing. The events of last night seem long ago, and such indulgence is not fitting for a hero with great deeds to accomplish. Have 2 Shame points, but you are in Favour with Dionysus, god of the vine. At length, after an hour's walk, you find the road to Thebes.
I'm pretty sure that shame is just projected British repression. Even on a great quest, there's always time for orgies honouring the gods.
You walk on down the road for many hours. Ahead, in the centre of the plain, a town stands whitely, baking in the morning sun. Above, an eagle circles and swoops. Then it rises into the air again, a small mouse clasped in its talons. Soon, you reach the town, and discover that you were correct. The place is Thebes.

Quickly, you enter the gates of the city. Even as you do so, you wish you were elsewhere. The very ground is sticky, and the smell of unwashed, unwanted beggars assails your nostrils. A small boy runs up and tries to take your boots. He is soon joined by many others of his ilk. Wrinkling your features in unashamed disgust, you press on through the grimy, unlovely alleys. Your belly pleads for food, but your head urges you to quit this foul place.

• Eat?
• Try to leave the town hungry?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Eat.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The Shame might be worth the favor, anyhow.

Definitely eat.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Boo, I say. I completely agree with you, angel.

And sure, eat.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

It does not take you long to find a hostelry no more appealing than the rest of the town, but you wait for some time before the surly innkeeper will serve you. The food gets worse with every mouthful, and at the end the keeper belches in your face.

You pay him more than the whole tavern is worth, and resolve to wait out the night here. You doze lightly, and, as if in a dream, hear fragments of conversation from the other customers.

'... I was going to the bear-hunt, but apparently some fool killed it last night...'

'... I used to be one of hers, but the lisp put me right off...'

'... I've told the other five. The assassin strikes at...'

• Proceed?
• Take a hint?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Dream hints are the best hints.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Take a hint.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You are awake now, and strain to hear. As you listen, it becomes clear that a plot is afoot to kill the king of Thebes.

• Let sleeping dogs lie?
• Take the part of the king?
• Take the part of the conspirators?
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

There isn't much information to make a decision, but all this talk about assassins doesn't seem right and/or honorable. I say take the part of the king.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Foil the plot. Normally, I'd love some regicide for the lulz, but we're in mythic Greece and the king either has divine mandate (perhaps even divine parentage) or should be ousted in a heroic way, none of that assassination business.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Ah, Starmaker, you put it so much more eloquently than I. :blush: But yeah, that's exactly my sentiment.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Determined to foil this evil plot, you stay a moment considering the choices to which grim-hearted Lachesis points with her staff.

• Go to the palace, and warn the king of the plans against his life?
• Try to tackle the men yourself?
• Take a hint?
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I think we should take a hint.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Hooooooboy, this encounter......

I honestly can't remember what this particular hint does, but I don't trust it, personally.

Warn the king. The last couple of multi-men combats we've been through have been pretty brutal, and I'd rather not risk them if possible.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, this hint could be something like "think of a way to warn the king more effectively" but it could also be "think of banging the queen--gain 2 Shame points."

I guess I'd be in favor of not risking the hint and just warning the king.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

With the words of the conspirators still ringing in your ears, you get up and leave the inn, trying not to look too conspicuous. You ask a passer-by the quickest way to the palace, but she looks at you strangely, and simply points towards the centre of the town. The palace, in fact, is not difficult to find. The door is bound with metal strips, and it is a while before a guard emerges to answer your knocking. You tell of what you have heard in the inn, and he demands that you relinquish all your weapons, and place them on a table beside the doorway.

He leads you through the great hall, hung with tapestries, to the main throne-room where the king is entertaining some guests. The assembly falls silent, and the king demands to know who disturbs this feast.

You explain what you have heard, but the king laughs and does not believe you. He orders you to be seized and locked in the storeroom for the night, and to be whipped the following morning.

'No one,' he booms, 'would plot against me!'
Not only will this guy have only himself to blame if he gets assassinated, I won't feel even a little bad for him. Jerk.
The storeroom is cold and dank. In the corners you can hear the chittering of rats as they knaw away at the grain supply of Thebes. Soon you fall unconscious, asleep. Your sleep is troubled, and you awaken frequently, sweating and breathless, like a runner who has just finished last in a race, for whom there is no victor's wreath.

At dawn the door is opened, and you are pulled out from the heap of grain where you rested. The king has been wounded by an assassin, but will not die, so you are free to go.

Tired and terrified, you go quickly to the palace gates and collect your weapons, afraid lest the king die, when you would surely be executed.
With thankfulness in your heart you quit the city of Thebes. You carry on up the road, passed by farmers with their bullock-carts slowly making their way to Acharnae. The path is cracked and rutted and the fields to either side are flooded by the spring-swollen streams. A fallen tree blocks the way for a while but you quickly clamber over it. You soon reach the foothills of the range before Acharnae. The going is hard, but there is no snow. As you climb, the wind grows colder and you shiver slightly. Soon, however, you are over, and you come to the outskirts of Acharnae, barely visible in the dusk.
As you reach a minor crossroads at the start of the town itself, you see a group of men clustering around a low altar. One of them carries a dull iron sickle, another a squealing jet-black puppy. Two of the group hold it down while the officiating priest prepares to strike. The sun casts an elongated shadow, making the men seem from a distance like strange giants.

• Pass on quickly by?
• Intervene to save the animal?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We're a hero, which means no puppies are sacrificed on our watch.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Oh fuck, Hecate's going to hate us.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Hmmm....risk, possible wrath and vengeance from a goddess, or risk possible Honour loss/Shame for not acting like a 'Hero'?

Save the puppy. I bet Aphrodite would want that cute thing for a pet.

*Sigh*, another likely no-win situation.....

Speaking of which, about that whole Thebes storyline arc:
The best thing we could have done is to skip our meal and avoid Thebes entirely. Every option either sucks or is totally pointless from the moment we chose to stay here. The only path that would have gotten us a material reward also leads to massive Shame. All in all, either a trap or a waste of time.
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I don't think animal sacrifices were frowned upon in ancient Greece, rather the opposite. On the other hand, directly interfering with the worship of a god would be a much more offensive thing to do.

Contrary to popular (and my own, certainly) sentiment, I believe passing by would be the more appropriate action.
Last edited by Sirocco on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Seeing you, the men scatter, like a handful of sand cast into the wind. The sickle-bearer makes a half-hearted attempt to strike at you, but thinks better of it and he too is gone. You turn to pick up the terrified puppy from the altar, but as you do it bites you, and runs off yapping into the fields.

As you start again down the road into the town, the goddess Hecate herself speaks from the altar, 'You have desecrated my altar, Altheus, and the enmity of the goddess is worse than the vengeance of Zeus himself.' With this the voice ceases, and the altar splits from top to bottom. You are now in Disfavour with Hecate.
Nuts.
The town of Achernae is in festival at this time of the ear, for the annual chariot races are being held this week. All over the town men prepare their horses and repair their chariots. You have been walking for some time, and so decide to find an inn to rest for a while. You are directed to a small, low building, fringed by trees, where many of the competitors are staying. The price for a night is high, but you can just afford it. The excited chattering of the guests is like the buzz of bees greedy for honey, but you can make out some of it. There is in fact to be a race within the hour around the narrow streets of town.

• Go to bed?
• Set out for the chariot races?
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yup. Called it. :razz:

Well, chariot races don't sound very heroic (unless we participate in AND win them), so I think we should pass. But I'm not adamant, so half a vote.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Was there any penalty for not interrupting the sacrifice? I'm curious as to whether it was a "shame or disfavor" option, or it's (cleverly, I admit) playing off of what the reader's presumable reaction to seeing a puppy be sacrificed.

Anyhow, I agree on avoiding the chariot races.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Was there any penalty for not interrupting the sacrifice? I'm curious as to whether it was a "shame or disfavor" option, or it's (cleverly, I admit) playing off of what the reader's presumable reaction to seeing a puppy be sacrificed.
Yeah, that's purely an 'Ancient Greeks do things different' trap. I don't really like it, either Altheus is an ignorant boob who doesn't understand his own culture, or the player is not being given information the character would readily have for the sake of a gotcha moment. Neither is really satisfying.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You lie awake all night, occasionally hearing the clatter of wheels on the cobbles and the shouts of the spectators. You wish that you had gone to see them, and not remained in bed like a feeble old warrior. In the morning you eat a meagre breakfast and trudge off dejectedly towards Athens.
The way to Athens is unpleasant. The path is well made, and not rutted like others upon which you have travelled. Soon you pass into an area of green-clad rolling hills, and beyond this the outer edge of Athens' cultivated area. In the distance you can see farmers carrying their allotted portion for distribution to other areas. Your stomach feels light, and you are tense with anticipation.

Suddenly, you can see the very walls of Athens, your goal for so many days. Your pace quickens, and without speaking to anyone you pass, you hurry on, until the great gates of the city are but a few yards away.
You pause for a moment, and then carry on, unhindered, into the city itself. You must find the way to the palace, but do not know how to. Ahead of you are grand houses, built in stone, the abodes of some great lords of the city, but not large enough to be the house of your father. To either side of these, lesser houses of mud-baked brick block further progress into the city.

• You could carry along this road to the left?
• Or to the right?
• Alternatively, you could ask someone the way to the palace?