Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #37: Portal of Evil

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What book should I run next?

#1 The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
No votes
#3 The Forest of Doom
33%
#12 Space Assassin
67%
#16 Seas of Blood
No votes
#44 Spectral Stalkers
No votes

Total votes: 6

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #37: Portal of Evil

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Shunned by humankind since time began, the hills and valleys between the Cloudhigh Mountains and Lake Mlubz have begun to echo with human voices and the rhythmic sound of pickaxes. With the lure of riches beyond belief, gold fever has hit this inhospitable place! But then one shaft is dug too deep into the hillside and an ancient source of evil is unleashed . . . and used. The consequences are terrifying, as strange prehistoric creatures roam the woods and miners and their families start to disappear. Only a brave and resourceful adventurer can destroy this evil before it's too late.

HOW TO VANQUISH THE PORTAL OF EVIL

You are a warrior, a skilled and hardy adventurer. At the moment you are down on your luck: you have no money, and your backpack contains Provisions for only two meals. Your abilities, however, are more noteworthy and remarkable than ever. You will use dice to determine your exact attributes.[references to the book's character sheet cut]
Skill, Stamina, and Luck

Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. This is your SKILL score.

Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result. This is your STAMINA score.

Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. This is your LUCK score.

These are your Initial scores, and you must keep a permanent record of them. Any of your scores may change during your adventure, but they will exceed their except on very rare occasions, when you will be instructed on a particular Initial amounts only very rarely. You must keep a record of all changes to your scores - so write small or use an eraser.

Your SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. Your STAMINA is your health and fitness, and your ability to survive wounds and physical hardship. Your LUCK score shows how lucky you are.
(I rolled SKILL 12, STAMINA 23, LUCK 11. Fuck yeah, another Dirk!)

Restoring Skill, Stamina, and Luck
Skill
Your SKILL score will not change much during your adventure, and you should change it only if given specific instructions to do so in the text. As SKILL is a measure of combat prowess, it can be reduced by losing your weapon or by the effects of poison, for instance; acquiring a magical weapon could increase your SKILL - but remember that you can only use one weapon at a time!

Stamina
Your STAMINA score will change frequently during your adventure as you suffer wounds and then recover. At various times you will be given opportunities to eat meals and to acquire Provisions. Eating a meal normally restores up to 4 points of STAMINA, although there will be times, when you get very hungry, when you will need to eat a meal simply to avoid losing STAMINA; you may eat only one meal at a time, even though you may have more in your backpack. Unless specifically stated, your STAMINA may never exceed its Initial score.

Luck
There will be times when the success or failure of your exploits will depend entirely on your LUCK. You will be instructed to Test Your Luck; the procedure for this is as follows: roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. As you will see, the more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky. There will be occasions when you will be able to recover some points of LUCK; however, unless specifically stated to the contrary, your score cannot exceed its Initial value.
(The only big thing here is that we can only eat one meal at a time now, and only when the book gives us the option. Also, sometimes we'll need to eat to avoid losing STAMINA, like Lone Wolf.)

Combat
During your adventure you will meet other people and creatures. Some of them will attack you; others you will decide to fight. The procedure for resolving battles is described below.
SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face. Write these numbers in the first vacant Monster Encounter Box on the Adventure Sheet. Make a note also of any special abilities or instructions that are unique to this particular opponent. The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: go to step 4. If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: go to step 5. If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows - start a new Combat Round from step 1.
4. Deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. You may be able to deduct extra points if you use your LUCK (see below) or if you have a special weapon.
5. Deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA. You may use your LUCK to reduce the seriousness of this loss (see below.)
6. Make sure you have recorded on the Adventure Sheet all adjustments to the STAMINA and LUCK scores of either yourself or your opponent.
7. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

You may from time to time be given the opportunity to escape from your opponent. If you decide to do this, the battle ends - but the enemy automatically wounds you once as you turn your back and flee. Note that you may use LUCK to minimize this wound, as for any other (see below.)

Often you will have to fight more than one opponent at a time. Sometimes you will treat them as a single opponent; at others, you will be able to fight them one at a time; and sometimes all of them will be able to attack you, while you defend yourself and may attack only one of them. Specific instructions will be given whenever you meet more than one opponent.
Using Luck in Combat
You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck: roll two dice. If the total rolled is equal to or less than your LUCK score, you have been Lucky. If the total is higher than your LUCK score, you are Unlucky. (Whatever your result, you must deduct 1 point from your current LUCK score.) If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. (Remember to deduct 1 point from your LUCK whatever the result.) If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.
BACKGROUND
Far to the east of the great port of Kelther, a line of snow-capped peaks divides the fertile lands from the deserts and wastes that make up the interior of the continent of Khul. To the humans who have settled along the streams that run from the northern half, the peaks are known as the Cloudhigh Mountains. Half-way down the range a spur extending to the west marks the southward limit of human habitation - or, rather, it did until recently. From the southern half of the range, streams rush through narrow valleys between hills that are covered with impenetrable woodlands, and drain into an inland sea. The forest is home to wild beasts and to Goblins, whose name for the huge lake is Mlbuz.

No humans had set foot in the forest within recorded history. Southern tribesmen and, in later centuries, armored Neubergers had shunned the inhospitable hills. A few years ago, however, a small band of trail-blazers set out from the frontier town of Kleinkastel and disappeared into the forest. Months later, two survivors returned - with gold nuggets. Gold - that soft, malleable metal, useless for making weapons or tools or even lodestones and yet, in a way, a magnet. Its matchless luster attracts, not other metals, but human greed.

Within days, as if drawn by an invisible force, humanity began to invade the forest from north and south. Some came alone, with just a pickax and shovel; others came as families, or in entire tribes; some groups were as big as small armies. There were miners; and there were those who provisioned the miners, and others who swindled them; there were robbers of all sorts, from desperate outlaws to clerks and lawyers; finally, there were the Margrave's men, come to tax everyone else.

Bridges were slung across raging cataracts; giant trees were felled; battalions of man-eating Goblins were defeated and dispersed. Bands of outlaws roamed the hills, more deadly even than the forest creatures. In an effort to restore law and order, and generate income, the Margrave of Kleinkastel declared the whole forest to be part of his demesne. Now, his foot soldiers march across the hills, chasing bandits, selling mining licenses, and dealing summarily with unlicensed miners. To the miners, the Margrave's soldiers are just one more irritation. Like the Goblins and the southern bandits, they interfere with the serious business of digging for gold. The most successful miners are already wealthy enough to defy the Margrave. They employ teams of less fortunate migrants to work the richest seams, located deep under the higher mountains, and they organize caravans to transport ore from the highland diggings through the forest to Kleinkastel, now a bustling boom town, where equally wealthy merchants wait to weigh, assay and buy their loads. Most of the most successful mine-owners is Gloten. Recently he sent out invitations to selected warriors, including yourself, to come to Kleinkastel and work for him as caravan guards. At the time you had better things to do than trudge back and forth through a hilly forest at the beck and call of a wealthy mine-owner, and you declined the offer.

Now, however, something is very wrong in the forest. Gloten has sent out messengers with another story: miners, and sometimes entire families, have gone missing from their villages; strange beasts, the like of which have never been seen before, are terrorizing the woodlands; and Gloten pleads for one of Khul's renowned warriors to come to Kleinkastel and investigate these mysterious occurrences. He declares that he will pay the warrior's own weight in gold in return for restoring normality to the forest. You could refuse neither the appeal for help nor the lure of such a reward.

With the last two coins you possessed, you have bought a map of the area (it is reproduced on the inside front cover of this book) and you have it safely stowed in your backpack, along with what remains of your provisions - after your long journey from Kelther, you now have enough for only two more meals. You are wearing leather armor; your trusty sword hangs in its sheath at your belt. You reached the forest without incident; however, thanks fo a rainstorm and the flooding of a ford, you managed to miss the road that links Neuburg and Festham to Kleinkastel and found yourself in the depths of the woodlands. Last night you slept rough in the undergrowth; this morning, you came across a well-worn track, leading south-west, which you hope will lead you out of the forest and towards Kleinkastel, where you expect to find Gloten and offer your services to him for the promised fee. With luck, you will reach the little town before dusk.
Map:
Now turn to paragraph 1.
A line of blood-spots crosses the path. The blood is still warm and unclotted. Your hand goes to your sword-hilt as you scan the surrounding forest. You can hear nothing, but it is clear that a wounded animal has crossed the path - a very large animal, to judge by the extent of broken branches and trampled undergrowth that show where the creature crashed into the forest. You follow the trail between the trees and into a clearing, where you stop in amazement. The wounded animal is there - but it is not a bear or a wolf or any other woodland beast you have ever seen. It is an enormous lizard, as big as an ox, with a sail-like frill running the length of its back, and supported by spines. Its scaly hide shows several severe gashes. Stroking the monster's snout is an Elf woman. As you enter the glade, the monster snarls and the Elf woman raises her sword; but then, instead of attacking, they speak. Both of them say: "Help us! Please help us!" Even as they speak, two soldiers come running into the clearing, swords drawn, and advance towards the wounded beast.

Will you help to defend the monster, or will you stand aside and await the outcome of the confrontation?

(Can we not help a talking dinosaur?)

Bajinga Ladyparts (as suggested)
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 23/23
LUCK 11/11
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor
Provisions: 2 meals (+4 STAMINA)
Backpack Items: Map

EDIT: fixed typo
DOUBLE EDIT: BAJINGA LADYPARTS
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

If it can say please, it deserves our protection.

Also, the book doesn't specify we're a dude warrior, so I say we give the girls a turn and roll as Bajinga Ladyparts.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Bajina is a friend to the dinosaur. She wields the fabled DinoSword.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

One of the soldiers runs to attack the monster and the Elf woman, while you intercept the other. He seems to be in no mood to talk, and attempts to barge past you. You fight.

SOLDIER SKILL 5 STAMINA 8

Combat Log:
Soldier 12, Bajinga 18. Soldier is at 6.
Soldier 16, Bajinga 16. Tie. (really.)
Soldier 9, Bajinga 18. Soldier is at 4.
Soldier 12, Bajinga 19. Soldier is at 2.
(Even poor rolls cannot rob Bajinga Ladyparts of her Flawless Victory!)

If you survive long enough to reduce his STAMINA to 3 points or less, he turns and runs away into the forest.

The monster and the Elf woman have fought off the other soldier, whom you see limping away between the trees. The monster is very badly wounded, and seems to be near death. It is not surprising that you have never seen anything like it before: it is a Spinosaurus, an animal that became extinct millions of years ago. You ask the Elf woman where it came from, but it is the Spinosaurus itself that replies. "I can speak for myself, warrior," it says. "I was once an Elf, although I myself find it hard to believe. My entire hunting party was captured by a horde of cursed Slave Warriors. They took us underground, and put us one by one through the dread Portal. All my comrades were overcome, their willpower broken, and they became mindless slaves of the Portal, or of whoever controls it. I resisted; I would not let my mind be wiped clean. I lost consciousness and, when I awoke, I was - as you see me. There are others like me. Many have gone mad. This foul body I inhabit is, I believe, of a sort that is common on the other side of the Portal; but only the Portal's slaves may go there. No one knows the extent of this evil - except perhaps Gartax. But you must be gone, the forest is a deadly place now."

Will you hurriedly rejoin the path and continue towards Kleinkastel; or will you try to find out more about Gartax?

(Elfasaurus has major self-esteem issues in that wounded dinosaur body of his. But he's still good at exposition! Do we want to hear more of it?)

Bajinga Ladyparts
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 23/23
LUCK 11/11
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Moar exposition!
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

This dinosaur is a Gartax-tease.
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Gartax sounds important, with a name that silly. We must know more!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You have many questions that you would like to ask: What are the Slave Warriors? Where is this evil Portal? - but it is clear that the Elf, imprisoned in the body of the badly wounded Spinosaurus, is almost exhausted. Gasping for breath, it manages to continue: "The Margrave in Kleinkastel, the mine-owners, the King of the Goblins, even the Wood Elves - none of them know how bad things are here. Gartax was a miner; he had the sense to get people out of his village before the Slave Warriors arrived. Now he and his followers live in the forest, trying to organize some sort of resistance. He's camped not far from here - half a league to the south-east. He can explain what's going on. Now I must rest. Thanks for your help, warrior."

You return to the path. Will you now continue along it, south-westwards, towards Kleinkastel? Or will you strike out eastwards, straight into the wild and wooded foothills of the Cloudhigh Mountains? Or will you enter the forest in a south-easterly direction, hoping to find Gartax?
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

join the resistance, save elfkind
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

What if every dinosaur those other adventurers ever killed was actually a transformed elf?
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Let's go see Goretex.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Since FF Murder Hobos are about as kind as D&D Murder Hobos I doubt they'd care if their dead dinosaurs were actually elves. But it does raise an interesting question: If dinosaurs have been extinct on Titan for millions of years, how the hell does Dirk O'Killitwithfire knows what a Styracosaurus is?)
You hack a way up overgrown slopes, slide down treacherous banks, and splash across tree-shadowed streams. You join a narrow path which soon leads you to a clearing, in the center of which a solitary tree spreads its shade. You step into the clearing, uncomfortably aware that the surrounding forest is unnaturally quiet. As you reach the central tree, you hear the rustle of branches from the far side of the glade, and you see a man run into the open, closely pursued by a creature from a nightmare. It is a Phororhacos, a vicious flightless bird much taller than a human, with a huge curved beak and glittering eyes surmounted by a crest of feathers. The man looks frail and tired; he is limping and is armed with only a small knife. With an ululating cry the cruel bird chases him relentlessly as he tries to back away.

Do you want to come to the man's rescue, or would you rather avoid getting involved, and return to the cover of the forest?

(Will Bajinga Ladyparts continue to protect the downtrodden?)
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Obstruct the birdie.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Bajina ain't no chicken.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Help the dude.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Bajinga Ladyparts cowers before no beast! Help him!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Drawing your sword, you run across the glade and step between the giant bird and the exhausted man. You stare into the beast's cold eyes and raise your sword to strike - and then you feel a knife-point against your spine. Behind you, the man chuckles. "Our little ruse worked, Agrid. This warrior shows true nobility in intervening to protect the weak and helpless - I think I acted the victim's part very convincingly. Now, warrior - put up your sword. Surrender!"

Will you sheathe your sword and surrender; or will you swing round and attack the man?
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Shiv him up, shiv him up, shiv him uuuuuup.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

slay the deceiver
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The man backs away from you and yells for help. From between the trees all round the clearing a mob of men and women converges on you. There are about a dozen of them, armed with knives, axes and staves, and you cannot defend yourself against all of them. Your adventure ends here.

(With our stats we could probably kill them all, assuming they were about as strong as the soldier. Fuck this guy, he's a major douche. Let's see what happened if we surrendered.)

"You have a wise choice, my friend," says the man, as about a dozen roughly dressed men and women, armed with axes and staves, converge on you from all sides of the clearing. "Now then: why are you here in the forest?"

You describe your incredible meeting with the talking Spinosaurus, and explain you are looking for Gartax. The man is not impressed. "Gartax? He's no more than a brigand, from what I've heard, and the rabble that follow him are worse. You haven't answered my question: you're a trained fighter - what are you doing in this part of the world?"

Do you reply that you are on your way to Kleinkastel in response to Gloten's appeal for help in investigating the mysterious occurrences in the forest, or say that you're a free-booting adventurer who just happened to be in the area?

(This is the last guy to be calling other people bandits, and is so untrustworthy that it seems wise to not tell him anything. But it seems almost too obvious, and he's a clever mofo that might give us some sweet, sweet exposition if we're honest. He did applaud our heroism, after all.)

Bajinga Ladyparts
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 23/23
LUCK 11/11
Running Total of Deaths: 1
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Tell the truth.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"So, the bigwigs in Kleinkastel have decided to do something at last! Or at least Gloten has. He's the sharpest of the mine-owners - he started out himself as a miner, just like us. I believe your story. I'm Gartax. These are some of my people. The rest are in camp, to the south. We have to go back there now. Come with us - a trained sword will be useful." You accompany Gartax at the head of his short column of rough and ready troops. Bit by bit he tells you his story.

Gartax and his people lived in villages in the foothills of the Cloudhigh Mountains. Alarmed by a sudden influx of ferocious and abnormal beasts and by the disappearance of villagers, Gartax and his followers took to the forest. Now, Gartax tells you, entire settlements are being found deserted. Silent, pale-skinned soldiers, the Slave Warriors, infest the area - and some of them are recognizable as mining folk who disappeared weeks ago. Others are tribesmen from the south, and some are Goblins. Gartax had intended to create a woodland army to resist these invaders, but their numbers increase daily and Gartax's only aim now is to lead his followers safely out of the forest. Finally, Gartax falls silent.

Will you ask for information about Gloten? Or ask if there is anyone else who can help?

(Gartax is a pretty shitty leader of his people, if he randomly holds anyone he comes across in the woods at knife-point. Holding up passers-by to bring them dangerously into the forest is the opposite of leading your followers safely out of the forest. And it should be fairly easy to tell who's being a Slave Warrior, since they basically sound like zombies from both Gartax and Elfasaurus' description, so he doesn't get that card either. Both questions seem legit, though, and Gartax drops exposition just as well as an Elfasaurus; what do we want to ask him?)
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Ask if there's anyone more competent than him in the area.

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Sure.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gartax shakes his head, and his shoulders slump. "Our only hope is to get out of the forest before the Slave Warriors corner us. I don't expect any help. The Margrave's soldiers are too busy extorting taxes out of honest folk; the big mine-owners are safe in Kleinkastel and haven't a clue what's going on here. If you want to do something useful, find the Wizard of Lake Mlubz - that's the Goblins' name for the inland sea that's the far southern end of the forest. It's said this Wizard has been there for centuries, longer than even the Goblins themselves. If anyone knows what's behind these evil events, it's the Wizard. I've met him, just the once; if you tell him what I've told you, and ask for help in my name, I'l sure he'll do everything he can. The lake's not hard to find: just go south until you come to a stream that's too wide and deep to jump or wade across, and then follow it down to the place where it flows into the lake.

And now there's no time for talk! We've arrived!"

The camp, which occupies a large clearing, is a collection of old tents and rickety wooden shelters huddling around a central enclosure where pack-animals are tethered. Sentries stand guard outside the circle of shelters, while others sit in the branches of the surrounding trees. They look tense and tired, but Gartax's return cheers everyone up in the camp. You can see at once that very few of the people are trained fighters, although each of them, down to the youngest child, carries some sort of weapon: a flail, a pitchfork or a broom-handle.

Gartax invites you to his tent, where he tells you that he believes an attack to be imminent and confesses that he is doubtful whether he has enough armed warriors to defend the camp. He begs you to stay until his people are ready for the final stage of their trek out of the forest.

Will you stay with Gartax and help to defend the camp? Or will you insist on continuing your journey, and walk away into the depths of the forest?

(Gartax: Hey Bajinga, I just threatened you with a knife and all, want to help defend my tribe?)