The scariest damned paladin in Eberron, or: weird characters

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

The scariest damned paladin in Eberron, or: weird characters

Post by Prak »

So I've decided to give playing a paladin a shot, but in keeping with the kind of person I am and the kind of characters I play, I'm playing a Hellbred. When I realized it was sort of like a template, I chose a race of humanoids that worships a dark goddess, but is essentially a bunch of evil-ish humans, that have +2 on intimidate... Hellbred with the Body aspect also get +2 intimidate... then I took Devil's Flesh, gaining a further +1 intimidate... couple with a 14 Charisma, my paladin (2nd level) has a +7 intimidate with no ranks... granted, he's like a nightmare from the deepest pit, but, fuck, and I wasn't even trying to pump his intimidate... might have to start taking advantage of this.

anyway, anyone else have weird things that just happened because of the way a character was built that they didn't even intend to do?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Well, I once made this elf cleric, and I bought him this bow as a backup weapon because he's proficient so why not...
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed May 20, 2009 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I find my elaborate rationalizations justifying my minmax wankery to be much more satisfying than simple coincidence conspiring to make my choices thematically satisfying.

My favorite is the templated Anthropomorphic Whale that escaped from Baphomet's breeding pits. :D
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I put some defensive buffs on an incantatrix wizard. As peripheral benefits, my melee offense ended up better than everyone else in the party and I had all the benefits of a grapple wizard (my defensive form had improved grab).

So yeah, because I was trying to boost my AC, saves, and ranged touch attack rolls I ended up being a grapple wizard because that was the most efficient way to kill things.

I don't play prep casters with that group anymore.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

mean_liar wrote:I find my elaborate rationalizations justifying my minmax wankery to be much more satisfying than simple coincidence conspiring to make my choices thematically satisfying.
+1.
<something clever>
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

All I did was boost Cha on a Cha based character then found stuff that works with it. Ended up able to do all sorts of stuff, from be the most durable member of the party or close to it to being able to easily fearlock just about anything to getting save or die DCs up incredibly high.

I also found the way to just walk up and hit things once for 200+ by accident.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Roy wrote:I also found the way to just walk up and hit things once for 200+ by accident.
How the hell'd you do that?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Prak_Anima wrote:
Roy wrote:I also found the way to just walk up and hit things once for 200+ by accident.
How the hell'd you do that?
Greater Mighty Whallop + Bane: Whatever is being fought + Vicious + 5d6 lightning damage (spell storing can work for this) + Bloodstone + enhanced CL Vampiric Touch + Knockback.

Comes out something like... 15d6+22 + 11d6 * 1.5 + 4d6+16. Which is 73-251. Which averages 162. A little lower than I was expecting. Though I don't think there's anything stopping you from throwing a Sudden Maximize on the Vampiric Touch. Still 3rd level and thus a valid target. And that adds 41.5. Also, 2 negative levels. Immunity to negative levels + Life-Drinker from the DMG = win.

And I originally made this character as a joke. He started off seriously having trouble with DR 10 at level 12. I find that hilarious.

If I were to fuck around with Tome stuff it would get worse.

"I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" *sends enemy flying across room*

For added lulz, pop WRT on a caster that's already acted so they get another turn.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh, I wish we were using tome stuff... but my friend thinks it's OP.

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I have it on the highest authority that your friend is dumb and that s/he smells funny :roll: .
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I once, in a Kindred of the Ag game, played an ex-peasant. Basically she started as an in-joke on how peasants in Tenchu: Stealth Assassin have in-built ninja-detectors and radar abilities out to a mile, ignoring obstructions, whereas guards have all suffered ear infections, blindness and chronic stupidity.

So the character was built as a peasant with maximum Perception, Alertness and Awareness, and also with decent Strength and Stamina (due to being a worker), as well as training in farming implements (see: peasant weapons). My choices for disciplines or whatever they're called in Weeaboo Vampires were largely "Oh, that sounds awesome!" I basically ended up picking Metal Godbody (boosts defences, might boost Strength), Iron Mountain (helps soak) and Demon Godbody (extra actions, extra health levels, boosts all physicals) so I could turn into a mecha - after all, it's Weeaboo, so it needs mecha!

I ended up becoming a true combat beast unintentionally. I was on par with the guy who intentionally picked out combat abilities - and we both treated our inner demons like shit. He had an ability where he slaps his inner demon around a bit and gets demon Chi out of it, additionally giving the demon a penalty when trying to overtake him, and my extra health levels... due to the way the rules were written, if I took 2 levels of Ag and lost a leg (I did), then turned into the mecha, the two levels of Ag transferred to those bonus health levels. Then when I changed back, I had my leg back and the injured health levels disappeared. So yeah, I stole my inner demon's leg.

That game was hilarious, and I actually enjoyed it - one of the few White Wolf games I can say that about.