Damnit. Quick rules question. (3.5 D&D, obviously)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Roy
Prince

Damnit. Quick rules question. (3.5 D&D, obviously)

Post by Roy »

So someone casts an emanation centered on themselves. They die.

Does the spell:

...end?
...continue radiating from the corpse?
...Giant Frog?

It's Anti Magic Field, if that makes any difference.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

We have always played that anything with a non-permanent duration will end at caster death. I'm not sure how much basis in RAW that has, but that's how we have always played it.

WotC seems to think that all durations extend beyond death of the caster:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040831a

Both of these are reasonable as long as you are consistent. I think that WotC has the best procedure for this, however.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

My understand was that effects with a non-concentration duration continue without regard to the caster's state until they would normally end, or a special action is taken. Dismissable effects require some action to turn off (which I don't recall currently), and everything requires an actual Dispel Magic (which you auto-succeed at).

[Edit] Yeah, per current SRD it's a standard action to dismiss a spell with a (D) in the duration line, and everything else lasts until it runs out or it gets dispelled. I think it's pretty strongly implied that stuff goes until something would stop it, and the caster dying doesn't seem to be on the list of interruptions.
Last edited by TarkisFlux on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

Note that a number of spells, even with ontological inertia, will probably fizzle anyways because their target is a creature or centered on a creature, and once you are turned into an object you are no longer that, so without a valid target the spell goes to /dev/null. I would argue that since antimagic field targets you that once you are made a corpse that you are no longer you in a meaningful sense.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

Targeting is only checked when the spell is cast, though, so it would stick.
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

IGTN wrote:Targeting is only checked when the spell is cast, though, so it would stick.
So if I cast Charm Monster and Flesh to Stone in that order, I have an inanimate lump of rock that nevertheless really likes me?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

If someone casts Stone Tell, it will compliment you highly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Gelare wrote:
IGTN wrote:Targeting is only checked when the spell is cast, though, so it would stick.
So if I cast Charm Monster and Flesh to Stone in that order, I have an inanimate lump of rock that nevertheless really likes me?
Yes.

This is actually the reason why animal growth works at all, because the only legal targets are animals that are smaller than the spell makes them.

-Username17
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Pretty much backing me up, that I don't know and you don't know either.

So basically, here's the possibilities here.

1: Enemy kills AMF using Wizard. This is trivially easy, because the Wizard turned himself off. The AMF spell ends. The enemy Wizard at his feet immediately revives, as his Con amulet kicks back in. All the other spells kick in too. On the bright side, someone can revive the PC Wizard, if they're quick about it.

2: Enemy kills AMF using Wizard, this is trivially easy, because the Wizard turned himself off. The AMF spell does not end. The enemy Wizard at his feet stays down, until someone removes him from the area. Getting the AMF Wizard out of the area is a real pain though, as any manner of transport results in at least one PC being wide open and hindered greatly, or isn't even possible for obvious reasons. Just leaving him there leaves his corpse open. And since, barring Game Disjunction you can't end the spell early that's 3 hours 20 minutes of liability to at least one person.

Had I remembered to have this fucker flying at least 15 feet up in addition to remembering all the contingencies and safeguards and such we wouldn't have this problem. But we are.
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:If someone casts Stone Tell, it will compliment you highly.
:rofl:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

...My friend turned me to stone, I don't know why, but I'm sure he'll be back soon. If you see him, will you remind him I'm still waiting? I'm sure he wouldn't have forgotten, he's made me very safe here...

-Crissa
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Gelare wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:If someone casts Stone Tell, it will compliment you highly.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Crissa wrote:...My friend turned me to stone, I don't know why, but I'm sure he'll be back soon. If you see him, will you remind him I'm still waiting? I'm sure he wouldn't have forgotten, he's made me very safe here...

-Crissa
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.