I got 'ROLEplay, not ROLLplay'ed today.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Teach them something (if you can) and don't troll them. All that will make them do is freak them out every time they encounter someone that actually knows how to use the rules to put together a decent character (or a decent anything, for that matter).
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Talisman wrote:On the other hand, if you're looking at this as "slumming," and plan to see how much you can bait the norms or what you can "get away with"...than you're a Bad Person. You're trying to ram your playstyle down their throats, or wreck their game because you can. No matter how much you disagree with the GM, that's a total dick move and deserves Ye Olde Folding Chair to the Head.
You have stated the question that has been rolling around my skull the last few weeks quite concisely. I've been focused on 'will he be a bad DM' too much and not on 'will I be a bad player'. So thank you for helping me clear my head on that.

Overall, depending on what the party looks like, I'll go with my scout and be the skills/support guy, or see about a cloistered cleric as a buffer. I think either will give me plenty to do in most situations we may come across. Of course, I'm still waiting on more information for the setting, and have to actually move to the area and settle in. Plenty of time.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Maybe you could help the other players learn to optimize. Design your character around helping the party so that they are more efficient, not just your character.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I always get told I'm acting like the GM when I phrase questions as rules. 'Okay, now doesn't that call for a roll here?' or 'Okay, I grapple, the target can't cast somatic spells and I make for a knock out of their hands' or...

I dunno, I just really hate when I don't know what the world is doing. I get pissed off when time doesn't move in discrete chunks based upon the information flowing to me.

How is it do you play when you don't know if the area has crocolisks or grindylows in the water? You 'just know'? How? Does this information get imparted somehow by sitting down at a silent table?

I've never had a good time where the rules weren't being followed. Oh, by the way, gravity isn't going to work appropriately yesterday, so what you did didn't work. What? Oh, these are /coldwater/ crocs, you should've known before looking. What? Oh, we'll let this other player break the rule for now, nevermind your screen time, okay? What? The monster gets to pounce, full attack, and sting. But the entry says they get to sting or full attack... You just killed him. 'Ohwell'. Oh, the skill rules you wrote are too different, we'll just go with the simple rules in the book. ARGH. Oh, you can't have that spell. Oh, you have to learn spells in-game. Oh, you can't use that skill to do that DC in the book because I think it should be a spell. No, you can't roll int to see if you know about blah. Oh, you stepped in a trap - no, you didn't think to ask. How was I supposed to know this stuff?

Grr.

-Crissa
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Among my favorites:
"you can't use your shield to paddle your raft, the water and the things in the river always move at the same speed as the current, rendering steering impossible."

"ARGH, have you ever heard of a canoe?!"

Yea, I hate it when wrong physics come into play...
Mr. Bane
Journeyman

Post by Mr. Bane »

On MUSHes they call it "Soulplaying".

Yes. They do.

I recently got told "Oh, you play WOD, well we don't have stats we have a deeper connection to our characters."

A deeper connection.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Never heard of someone calling WoD not roleplay enough before.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I could actually see how skipping the WoD rules and just going freeform storytelling might be a good plan.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Not to mention Mark Rein•Hagen's original plan. The original White Wolf ruleset was specifically designed to drive people to freeform play.