A couple non-fiendish spheres

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

CatharzGodfoot
King

A couple non-fiendish spheres

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I'm not sure how balanced these are, just killing a bit of time. The first is supposed to be a 'celestial sphere' for the 'archangel' (modified true fiend) or Conduit of the Upper Planes; the second is to make a wizard via sphere. Mnemonic enhancer should be treated as follows: each casting supercedes all previous castings; the spells are prepared as a wizard would, and cast using the same attributes and caster level as the mnemonic enhancer (this would also apply to UMD'd wands and so forth).

Majesty
Special: You gain a +3 bonus to Diplomacy checks and to your Leadership score.
1: Lantern Light [BoED]
3: Glorious Raiment [BoED]
5: Crown of Flame [BoED]
7: Luminous Armor [BoED]
9: Sicken Evil [BoED]
11: Crown of Brilliance [BoED]
13: Heaven Strumpet [BoED]
15: Crown of Glory [SC]
17: Blinding Glory [BoED]
19: Greater Aspect of the Deity [BoED]

Magi
Special: You gain the Scribe Scroll feat. You can treat scrolls as spellbooks.
1: Magic Missile
3: Arcane Sight
5: Anyspell [SC]
7: Mnemonic Enhancer
9: Lesser Spell Matrix [SC]
11: Greater Anyspell [SC]
13: Limited Wish
15: Spell Engine [SC]
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

If you're gonna do funky shit with mnemonic enhancer, rename it and write it out, kinda like how I've done with my custom spells based on psionic powers.

Other than that, the Majesty sphere wants a better ability. Ideally, you don't wanna hand out random pluses. My suggestion would be:

Majesty
Special: You gain Diplomacy as a class skill. Additionally, you may use your Charisma modifier on any skills dependant on Wisdom or Intelligence instead.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I'm not doing funky shit with mnemonic enhancer; it's just a broken spell. Even Customer Service didn't fix it.

And yeah, you're probably right about the Majesty sphere ability. I'm not sure about that scale of stat replacement, though...

Anyway, here's another:

Rainbows & Unicorns
Special: unicorns are awesome!
1: Color Spray
3: Rainbow Beam [SC]
5: Rainbow Blast [SC]
7: Summon Nature's Ally IV (unicorn only)
9: Dance of the Unicorn [SC], Rainbow Pattern (yeah, you get two. Dance of the Unicorn is crap)
13: Eladrin Form [BoED]
15: Prismatic Wall
17: Summon Nature's Ally IX (celestial charger only)
19: Prismatic Sphere

There are actually enough spells of this type that it might be possible to fit in a Unicorns and Rainbows sphere. I'd really like to see one with rain of roses... Here are the other rainbow/unicorn abilities that could fit:
7: Rainbow Pattern
9: Prismatic Ray [SC]
13: Prismatic Eye [SC], Prismatic Spray, Radiant Assault [SC], Rain of Roses [BoED]
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:I'm not doing funky shit with mnemonic enhancer; it's just a broken spell. Even Customer Service didn't fix it.
What I meant is 'write out in full what it should do, as if it were a new spell'. Much less confusing that way.

I might add some spheres here, once I'm done with my current bit of work.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Good call.

Mnemonic Enhancer
Transmutation
Level: Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous
Casting this spell allows you to prepare additional spells or retain spells recently cast. Pick one of these two versions when the spell is cast.
  • Prepare
    You prepare up to three additional levels of spells, as a wizard. A cantrip counts as ½ level for this purpose. You cast these spells using the same caster level and attributes as the mnemonic enhancer. Later castings of the prepare effect completely supercede earlier ones.
  • Retain
    You retain any spell of 3rd level or lower that you had cast up to 1 round before you started casting the mnemonic enhancer. This restores the previously cast spell to your mind.
In either event, the spell or spells prepared or retained fade after 24 hours (if not cast).

Material Component: A piece of string, and ink consisting of squid secretion with black dragon’s blood.

Focus: An ivory plaque of at least 50 gp value.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Edit: Sorry CGF, could not resist:
CGF wrote:13: Heaven Strumpet [BoED]
dictionary.com wrote:strumpet–noun
a prostitute; harlot.
:rofl:

Edit 2: They should look like spheres now...

True to my word, here are three spheres, off the top.

Courage
Special: You are immune to fear.
1: Bless (can be used as a swift action)
3: Heroism
5: Remove Fear
7: Heroes' Feast
9: Righteous Might
11: Greater Heroism
13: Break Enchantment (can be used as a swift action)
15: Freedom
17: Mass Righteous Might*
19: Greater Heroism (can be used as an immediate action)

Healing
Special: Any spells of the Healing subschool that you cast (including SLAs) have a range of 30ft, unless it would normally be longer.
1: Cure Moderate Wounds
3: Lesser Restoration
5: Cure Critical Wounds
7: Mass Cure Critical Wounds
9: Heal
11: Restoration
13: Ressurection
15: Mass Heal
17: Heal (can be used as an immediate action)
19: Greater Restoration (can be used as an immediate action)

Light
Special: You shed light like a torch, and can suppress or resume this ability at-will. This ability is considered extraordinary.
1: Faerie Fire
3: Searing Light
5: Daylight
7: Sunbeam
9: Sunburst
11: True Seeing
13: Power Word Blind
17: Prismatic Sphere
19: Sunburst (can be used as an immediate action)

Mass Righteous Might
Transmutation
Level: Courage 9
Range: Close
Targets: One or more allies, no two of which can be more than 30ft apart
Duration: 1 minute/level

This spell functions identically to righteous might, except as noted above.

As for the stat replacement on Majesty, if that worries you, make it Wis-skills only.
Last edited by koz on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Whoops! Yeah, that should be "heaven's trumpet"...

Spheres give out spell-like abilities by character level, so you're missing the level 19 abilities on all of your spheres. You might also want to add 'automagically maximized' to the healing sphere. Other than that, looks great.

The Martyr
Special: You never lose experience, levels, or attribute points from death or ressurection.
1: Divine Sacrifice [SC]
3: Shield Other
5: Sanctified Masochism [BoVD, Sanctify Spell from BoED]
7: Blood of the Martyr (immediate action) [BoED]
9: Renewal Pact [SC]
11: Karmic Retribution [CM]
13: Tomb of Light [BoED]
15: Phoenix Fire [BoED]
17: Transcend Mortality [CM]
19: Exalted Fury [BoED]

--> I hope you have regeneration...

Also, revised Unicorm/Rainbow spheres:

Unicorns & Rainbows
1: Blessing
5: Rainbow Blast [SC]
9: Dance of the Unicorn [SC], Prismatic Ray [SC]
11: Summon Nature's Ally VI (lots of unicorns only)
13: Eladrin Form [BoED]
15: Extended Rain of Roses [BoED]

Rainbow Unicorn
3: Aid
5: Unicorn Horn [CM]
7: Rainbow Pattern
9: Unicorn Blood [CM]
11: Prismatic Aura [CM]
13: Unicorn Heart [CM]
17: Prismatic Deluge [CM]
19: Quickened Prismatic Spray

Unused
13: Prismatic Eye [SC], Prismatic Spray, Radiant Assault [SC]

Rainbows & Unicorns (combined alternative)
5: Unicorn Horn [CM]
9: Unicorn Blood [CM]
13: Unicorn Heart [CM]
15: Extended Rain of Roses [BoED]
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Yeah, gonna fix these now. And sorry, but it's LOSE. LOSE. LOSE. It's a massive pet peeve of mine to see that error become so common.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Mister_Sinister wrote:And sorry, but it's LOSE. LOSE. LOSE. It's a massive pet peeve of mine to see that error become so common.
Nah, I meant "loose XP" as in "Let loose with my pimp juice".

...it's corrected. :sad:
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:And sorry, but it's LOSE. LOSE. LOSE. It's a massive pet peeve of mine to see that error become so common.
Nah, I meant "loose XP" as in "Let loose with my pimp juice".

...it's corrected. :sad:
As are my spheres. I'll see about chucking together a conduit of the upper planes, an archangel and a celestial warrior (counterpart of the fiendish brute) sometime when I'm bored, to see if it can inspire you at all.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Judgement
Special: ?
1: Doom
3: Mark of the Outcast [SC]
5: Awaken Sin [SC]
7: Castigate [SC]
9: Sicken Evil [BoED]
11: Wages of Sin [BoED]
13: Tomb of Light [BoED]
15: Last Judgement [BoED]
17: Rain of Black Tulips [BoED]
19: Sanctify the Wicked [BoED]
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Unicorns and Rainbows' ability would be something like:

Special: Your type changes to fey.

As for Judgment:

Special: Any spell or spell-like ability you have that targets Fort saves targets Will saves instead.

The latter may be a bit too powerful, though. Maybe limiting it to only a specific set of SLAs might be better.

Edit: It seems we're 'back and forth-ing' with these spheres. Fair game.

Prayer
Special: You gain Perform (oratory) as a class skill. Additionally, any spell or SLA with the [Sonic] descriptor that you use has its area of effect doubled.
1: Prayer
3: Shout
5: Dismissal
7: Greater Shout
9: Commune
11: Word of Recall
13: Power Word Stun
15: Blasphemy/Holy Word/Dictum/Word of Chaos (choose one when you gain this level, and you cannot choose one of opposite alignment to your own)
17: Wail of the Banshee
19: Power Word Kill (can be used as a swift action)
Last edited by koz on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Mister_Sinister wrote:Unicorns and Rainbows' ability would be something like:

Special: Your type changes to fey.
I like the fey angle, but how about giving the sphere user a tinkerbell-esque familiar instead?
Mister_Sinister wrote:As for Judgment:

Special: Any spell or spell-like ability you have that targets Fort saves targets Will saves instead.

The latter may be a bit too powerful, though. Maybe limiting it to only a specific set of SLAs might be better.
As you say, that would be flavorful but quite powerful, especially considering that the sphere grants a bunch of SoDs & area SoSs. Perhaps something more tame like 'May use Profession (lawyer) checks in place of Intimidate; may demoralize once per round as a free action'?
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Giving the user a familiar would throw the scope of sphere abilities way out from where they began. Although it is very cool, I would say it would be best left as something that is granted by a bigger effect than a sphere ability. Would this be more satisfactory, perhaps?

Special: Your type changes to fey. If you have a familiar, animal companion, special mount or anything of the like, its type also changes to fey, and it can use fairie fire once per day as an SLA, with a caster level equal to your character level.

As for Judgment, your suggestion is flavoursome, but really tiresome. Maybe something more like this:

Special: You gain Intimidate as a class skill, and may demoralise an opponent as a swift action.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

CatharzGodfoot wrote: 5: Sanctified Masochism [BoVD, Sanctify Spell from BoED]
I think you mean consecrated masochism, there's no sanctify spell feat.
19: Exalted Fury [BoED]
Hey! My nuclear paladin idea just became that much more possible!
(Paladin with a bunch of HP, charges at enemies, let's loose Exalted Fury and goes nuclear, cleric buddy cast resurrection. Or he gains the risen martyr class [yes I know it in all likely hood sucks]).

I'll have to put up the black dragon sphere I worked up before tonight's game. I'll go with what I remember though:

Black Dragon
Granted Ability: Wild Empathy (reptiles only, but any reptile), using character level for Druid level.
1st: Corrosive Grasp (As Shocking Grasp, doing Acid Damage)
3rd: Acid Ball (as Fireball, doing Acid Damage)
5th: Acid Storm (as Ice Storm, doing Acid Damage)
7th: Wall of Acid (as WoFire, but does Acid Damage)

yeah, I kinda went overboard on retyping damage... and I was just putting in stuff that sounded fine, I have no rubric in mind for assigning spells to levels, feel free to correct me on this.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I was just going through Spheres that I could upload to the wiki to fill out that section, and I come across these.

Magi is kind of problematic. Anyspell and Greater Anyspell are normally 10-minute casting time deals that you use in the morning to prepare in place of a spell slot as a cleric. In fact, I think they explicitly deal in spell slots. With this it means you can cast any spell of level n or lower...
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Miscellaneous Spheres (including an update of the unicorn sphere)

Illusion: Even if a creature successfully disbelieves one of your illusions, they must save to disbelieve again as soon as they stop interacting with it.
1 Silent Image
3 Invisibility
5 Displacement
7 Phantasmal Killer
9 Mirage Arcana
11 Veil
13 Permanent Image
15 Persistant Greater Invisibility
17 Weird
19 Superior Invisibility [CArc]

Shadow: Illumination within 100' of you is always shadowy [Su]. You can suppress this ability with a free action. You are also considered a native of Shadow.
1 Shadow Spray [SpC]
3 Shadow Cache [SpC]
5 Deeper Darkness
7 Shadow Conjuration
9 Summon Undead 5 [SpC] (shadow or allip only)
11 Shadow Walk
13 Planar Bubble [SpC] (Shadow only)
15 Quickened Shadow Evocation
17 Shades
19 Ice Assassin [SpC]

Rainbow Unicorn: Friendship is magic. You can speak with equines (including unicorns and pegasi) as though you share a language. Unicorns automagically start out friendly to you.
3: Rainbow Beam [SpC]
5: Persisitant Unicorn Horn [CM]
9: Persistant Unicorn Blood [CM]
13: Persistant Unicorn Heart [CM]
15: Rain of Roses [BoED] (affects all enemies or all non-allies instead of evil)

Dragon Spheres

Black Dragon: You can breath and use spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities without difficulty while underwater.
1 Darkness
3 Charm Reptiles (as mass charm, but only works on reptillian animals)
5 Diminish Plants, Plant Growth
7 Black Tentacles
9 Insect Plague
11 Quickened Control Water
13 Slime Wave
15 Befoul [IWO?]
17 Shambler
19 Despoil

Blue Dragon: You can mimic any sound or voice you have heard; listeners make a Will save (DC 10 +1/2 level + Cha) to disbelieve [Su].
1 Create Water, Destroy Water, Ventriloquism
3 Wind Wall
5 Tormenting Thirst
7 Mirage Arcana
9 Flaywind Burst [IHO]
11 Veil
13 Vitrify [IHO]
15 Maddening Whispers [Drc]
17 Timestop
19 Desert Binding [IHO]

Green Dragon: ???
1 Entangle
3 Plant Growth
5 Suggestion
7 Command Plants
9 Dominate Person
11 Commune with Nature
13 Mass Polymorph [Dnc]
15 Horrid Wilting
17 Dominate Monster
19 Genus Loci

Red Dragon: You can use locate object at will.
1 Enthrall
3 Entice Gift
5 Suggestion
7 Fear
9 Mass Suggestion
11 Eyebite
13 Blasphemy
15 Discern Location
17 Imprison Soul
19 Monstrous Thrall

White Dragon: Icewalking (you gain the benefit of spider climb when traversing snowy or icy surfaces) and Snowsight [ICO] in constant effect [Su].
1 Gust of Wind
3 Fog Cloud
5 Sleet Storm
7 Wall of Ice
9 Flesh to Ice, Ice to Flesh [ICO]
11 Algid Enhancement [ICO]
13 Control Weather
15 Frostfell
17 Fimbulwinter [ICO]
19 Quickened Cometstrike [ICO]

Gold Dragon: You can breath and use spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities without difficulty while underwater.
1 Bless
3 Human Form [Dnc]
5 Detect Gems (as arcane sight, but detects type, value, and location of gems)
7 Polymorph Self [Dnc]
9 Sunburst
11 Geas/Quest
13 Refuge
15 Crown of Glory
17 Foresight
19 Blinding Glory [BoED]

BoED = Book of Exalted Deeds
CArc = Complete Arcane
CM = Complete Mage
Dnc = Dungeonomicon
Drc = Draconomnomnom
ICO = It's Cold Outside
IHO = It's Hot Outside
IWO = It's Wed Outside
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack