Your preferred level of complexity in a game?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

There are (more or less) only three basic stages of ammo, assuming running out will be true long enough to matter.

1) Plenty.

2) "Some". - Time to start conserving ammo.

3) "Looting the dead". Just what it says - this is the point when you are down to individual rounds.
Trust in the Emperor, but always check your ammunition.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:Well, mostly ghost recon occurs at long range, so that's a bit different because it's more of a snipers game than a close quarters combat.
It has plenty of close up stuff indoors. I still tap fire, just with threeish body shots if they're too close for a head shot. Or a single combat shotgun round. I'd do the same in a Quake style game but I'm not good enough to hit a fast moving target without spraying.

I'm pretty sure that noone is meant to fire wildly for anything other than supressive fire. If we were playing a SWAT rpg the PCs would definately be expected to keep shots on target. Maybe Sir Neil can chime in about military style. The important point being that its dependent on the genre.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Draco_Argentum wrote: It has plenty of close up stuff indoors. I still tap fire, just with threeish body shots if they're too close for a head shot. Or a single combat shotgun round. I'd do the same in a Quake style game but I'm not good enough to hit a fast moving target without spraying.

I'm pretty sure that noone is meant to fire wildly for anything other than supressive fire. If we were playing a SWAT rpg the PCs would definately be expected to keep shots on target. Maybe Sir Neil can chime in about military style. The important point being that its dependent on the genre.
Yeah, nobody is really meant to fire wildly, but when someone is shooting at you, it's pretty easy to panic and just start dumping a lot of bullets.

But it should matter on the gun you're using. If it's a slow firing weapon like a rocket launcher or a shotgun, then generally people aren't just going to spray around with it (because spraying is ineffective iwth a slow RoF). If however you've got a full auto weapon, then spraying bullets is actually pretty likely unless you're in a situation where you're taking the opponent by surprise (like a sniper or a stealthy assault).

Really it's probably just something we should consider applying to semiautomatics and full auto weapons. Possibly burst too if you can fire a lot of rapid bursts.

But in terms of actual firefights, I remember Frank posted a statistic once which basically showed that even at close range, only around 50% of the bullets actually hit their targets, and there were a lot of wasted shots. Because really when the bullets start flying, people do tend to panic quite a bit.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

In actual shootouts, the number of bullets that actually hit anything are about one in six.

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

FrankTrollman wrote:In actual shootouts, the number of bullets that actually hit anything are about one in six.

-Username17
That's 'cause, in real life, criminals tend to max out Gymnastics.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Yeah, cops don't get enough training. Those are hit rates with semi autos too from the sounds of it, I'd hate to see SMGs used by those officers.

Anyone got stats for SWAT teams? My crap google-fu didn't turn up any.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I did look up the first mission of the SWAT: which was the fucking pathetic siege of a Black Panther compound in LA back in 1969:
In the ensuing four-hour siege, thousands of rounds of ammunition were fired, resulting in the wounding of three Panthers and three police officers. The Panthers finally surrendered to SWAT officers, whose first mission was now an indelible part of history.
Lame.

-Username17
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Level 2 warriors? In my campaign?
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Psychic Robot wrote:Level 2 warriors? In my campaign?
Sounds more like 4e padded sumo.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Draco_Argentum wrote:
No, this is 4e padded sumo: 'there is a fully attested report of a gunfight involving 3 guns and thirty shots fired that occurred entirely inside a police car, in which nobody was seriously injured.'
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Draco_Argentum wrote:
No, this is 4e padded sumo: 'there is a fully attested report of a gunfight involving 3 guns and thirty shots fired that occurred entirely inside a police car, in which nobody was seriously injured.'
...What the fuck? What the fuck? What the fuck?

So who's the Cataclysmic Failer this time?
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

People really suck at CQB in tight confines. We don't have multithreaded attention, nor do we have more than one set of visual sensory organs.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

I would say it's more a function of our natural adrenaline response being really good for running away or hitting something. Not so much for aiming at people and pulling a trigger. This is why some sharpshooters abuse tranquilizers.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:No, this is 4e padded sumo: 'there is a fully attested report of a gunfight involving 3 guns and thirty shots fired that occurred entirely inside a police car, in which nobody was seriously injured.'
You got me there. I have no idea how sumos that padded managed to get into a cop car.