VoP Monk / Kensai? Why not?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

VoP Monk / Kensai? Why not?

Post by Lago_AM3P »

The title more or less speaks for itself.

While taking pains to avoid any comparison against a druid, because the polymorph mechanic is broken (or if we allow this, getting a phat Polymorph Any Object from the party wizard), what is wrong with combining monk levels with kensai levels and then backing that ass up with VoP?

Enchanting your unarmed strike, giant bonuses and whatnot... that seems like some potential.

But it's the general consensus that monks and kensai are already sorta barney, and combining them together will probably not get you Real Ultimate Power.

I'm just asking this, as a lot of people on the min-max forums seem infatuated with the concept--I have the suspicion that the synthesis is actually total ass, but I need some, you know, reason.

And by VoP, I mean Vow of Poverty. Who knows--the gestalt of these things might be quite terrifying!
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: VoP Monk / Kensai? Why not?

Post by Username17 »

Not so much terrifying, no. The only advantage this build has is that you can judge its full potential in a vaccuum without actually having to gaudge the appropriate available equipment.

The problems are:

1> Actual equipment is better than the VoP (however, VoP synnergizes quite well with a character who can't use equipment anyway, such as someone explouting Wildshape),

2> Rage, Fury, and Berserk are all basically better than Power Surge, and they stack.

3> The basic chasis of Fists are the suck. Even if you are a Monk 10/Kensai 10 with VoP up - you still suck. Your weapon is a +14 equivalent weapon that does a d10 that only threats on a natural 20. Sorry, you are twentieth level, and the Fighters are using GMW to get the same bonuses on an adamantite bastard sword which does everything the fist does and penetrates hardness and can be combined with a shield and threats a crit twice as often.

4> You are a 20th level "warrior" with a BAB of +14. You've got perfect flurry, so your attacks are +14/+14/+9/+4 - but a real Fighter has got attacks at +20/+15/+10/+5.

5> Your saves are impressive, but not so impressive as a Paladin's.

6> Your AC is impressive, but not so impressive as a shield monkey.

Basically, what can you do that someone with a good BAB and an appropriate level worth of equipment couldn't do just as well only have a better BAB? Absolutley nothing.

While you can be transformed into something awesome, the Barbarian/Ranger/Berserker/Exotic Weapon Master can also be turned into a Titan with the same spell and has more, better abilities and a higher BAB.

-Username17