NEW FEATURE: Ignore User

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Zherog
Knight-Baron

NEW FEATURE: Ignore User

Post by Zherog »

Howdy gang.

About a week or so ago, Neil located an ignore feature that works on our version of phpbb. I just completed installing it. Here's the basics for how it works.

On each post, to the right of the "report post" image you should now see a button with the word ignore. Clicking that button will add the user to your ignore list. Note that it does not ask for confirmation, unfortunately. So if you click by accident, you'll have to remove the person from your list. (we'll get to that in a moment.)

Once you've ignored a user, it blocks their posts. Instead of seeing their post, you'll see a message that tells you they posted and gives you a button to view the post. This button - at least in testing - does not work. I want to figure out why at some point, but for now the decision was made to install the mod even though this feature doesn't work.

The mod does not block PMs. In addition, the mod does not block posts from mods or admins; you can add them to your ignore list, but you'll still see their posts.

Removing somebody from your ignore list is pretty easy - once you locate the page. Since it's pretty well hidden, THIS PAGE will take you to your ignore list. From here, you can add users (in addition to being able to do it from a post they've made) and you can remove users from your ignore list. The only other way I've found to get to that screen is to quickly click on the link that appears on the redirect screen after you've ignored somebody. At some point in the nebulous future, I'd like to get into the code again and place a button onto your control panel. But for now, this link will suffice.

If there's any questions about the feature, please let me know.

Cheers!

Z
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

You cannot Ignore Yourself!!!

Click Here to return to the topic
Click HERE to return to the Ignore Page
But, I'm my own worst enemy - the stuff I post sometimes infuriates me. :p
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Z, from the bottom of my heart...thank you.

That's two Guiness I owe you.
[/TGFBS]
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Happy to help. I'm glad Neil was able to find the mod. Apparently, my search-fu is weak like a ninja.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

YOU'RE WELCOME YOU'RE WELCOME YOU'RE WELCOME

:)
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

The only questions I have:

Are users obligated in any sense of the word to tell someone they're putting them on /ignore?

Posting when you think someone is reading but they're ignoring is a waste of time, and space.

Second, do we still have "if asked to stay out, observe this, etc."? Or does having this function overwrite that?

I can see merits to either, so I'm just checking how this is supposed to be handled.

Otherwise, excellent.
Trust in the Emperor, but always check your ammunition.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

"Until such time as an IGNORE function can be found..."
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Yes, but given that this is in the somewhere past beta state, I'd like to know if its considered good enough to overwrite that.

Presumably, but I trust the powers that be on this more than my own judgment.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Those are pretty good questions, El. And I can't answer them - I'm just the "tech guy." I'm sure our favorite fence building will be along to answer them (and tweak the CoC again if necessary).
Last edited by Zherog on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.

Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Well, thanks for your help in finding this, anyway. And for the general tech guy stuff, since there wouldn't be much of a website otherwise.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Elennsar wrote:The only questions I have:

Are users obligated in any sense of the word to tell someone they're putting them on /ignore?
No.
Second, do we still have "if asked to stay out, observe this, etc."? Or does having this function overwrite that?
I really don't see a reason for it now. I will amend the CoC when I get a chance.

[/TGFBS]
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, ignoring someone who derails a thread doesn't stop the thread from being derailed.

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Could we please keep this thread for any discussion about the code I installed to implement the change? It's really helpful to me* to have a quick and easy place to check to see if there's any problems. The fact that there haven't been any problems yet is great .(other than Josh not being able to ignore himself ;) ) But the feature is only a few days old, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a problem or two shake out.

I don't have any authority or anything like that. I'm just the "tech guy" asking for a tiny bit of assistance.

* yes, it's all about me. ;)
Last edited by Zherog on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Zherog wrote:Could we please keep this thread for any discussion about the code I installed to implement the change? It's really helpful to me* to have a quick and easy place to check to see if there's any problems. The fact that there haven't been any problems yet is great .(other than Josh not being able to ignore himself ;) ) But the feature is only a few days old, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a problem or two shake out.

I don't have any authority or anything like that. I'm just the "tech guy" asking for a tiny bit of assistance.

* yes, it's all about me. ;)
[TGFBS]

Sounds reasonable. Let's respect his request, as he has done us a service.

Discussion about "what the IGNORE feature means to the Den can go here:

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=81674#81674

[/TGFBS]
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Is there a way to check your ignore list aside from adding another user (or failing to add yourself) to it ?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

It looks like Z's link in the first post is about it. I guess you could bookmark the page.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So yeah, I can confirm that the ignore button's reported glitch where the link to see the ignored post doesn't work is a real bug. That button doesn't work. You cannot view an individual post by someone you have ignored.

-Username17
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Is there a way to check your ignore list aside from adding another user (or failing to add yourself) to it ?
Yeah, the link in the first post is - at the moment - the only way to get there other than placing somebody else on your ignore list. My plan is to figure out the code needed to add that link to your Profile page.
Frank wrote:So yeah, I can confirm that the ignore button's reported glitch where the link to see the ignored post doesn't work is a real bug. That button doesn't work. You cannot view an individual post by someone you have ignored.

-Username17
And this is also on my list of code to figure out, and at a higher priority than the previous. It looks like the link is passing the bypass code to the view post script, but the script isn't recognizing the code. I have a hunch why; I just have to get in and verify that, and then fix it.

I appreciate folks checking out the feature and posting their feedback. It's helpful. If you encounter any other problems, please let me know.
You can't fix stupid.

Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

FrankTrollman wrote:So yeah, I can confirm that the ignore button's reported glitch where the link to see the ignored post doesn't work is a real bug. That button doesn't work. You cannot view an individual post by someone you have ignored.

-Username17
This problem should now be fixed.
You can't fix stupid.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, that works.

-Username17
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Thanks for verifying!
You can't fix stupid.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I think this time I won't be using the feature. It's a juvenile solution to a recurrent problem.

I did back pre-board-shift, mostly just to return the favor when a few members made it clear that they had blocked me (oh, what a nice notice!), but essentially it made me no better than...a certain poster I could name.

Thank you for the implementation though Z.
Last edited by JonSetanta on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Hrm, not really a bug - but I just found it odd that clicking on the clickable "there are no users in your ignore list" link automatically takes you to the only page that ever displays "there are no users in your ignore list" link.

So thanks for the extra refresh button Z. :p
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

You need to maybe add the hack that connects the ignorelist to posting options, so that people on a thread creators ignorelist are not allowed to post in a thread made by someone who has them on ignore.
Last edited by shadzar on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)