Making the effective Kensai face-tank

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Making the effective Kensai face-tank

Post by Cynic »

I've been mulling over the flavor of a Kensai wielding either a great-hammer (MM IV I think) or a Maul while in mechanus Gear.

The character i mind can easily be built in F&K but I'm trying to think of a good Kensai build in 3.5 along these same lines.

The character would possibly be a replacement character for my druid who (due to gaming group's...eccentricities) has been feeling constrained and cramped and basically a one-trick pony (cast SNA) as the group finds any magic used for battle-field control to be power-gaming. I'd love to get out of the group but sadly this game has become my only source for RP/gaming in my life.

Any good build suggestions? The optimal would have been a thri-kreen monk/kensai but this would negate the whole maul-mechanus gear combo.

I was thinking maybe a Pally/Kensai with leadership to take full advantage of the charisma or maybe a Marshall/kensai to take advantage of the party-buffing that might be available. But aside from that I am thrown into a loop for the race or other possibilities. Possible a low la +Cha race. I might just stick with Human to take advantage of the extra feat but I might try to talk to my DM about maybe allowing either the half-fey (with racial levels) template that is noted here.

if the idea seems not-doable do advise.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Woodrow-.-
NPC

Post by Woodrow-.- »

[feat] Three Mountains (CWar)
[feat] I can't remember the name of it to save my life; It's in the Dragon Compendium, requires 12 BAB and procs a chance to stun if you're using a bludgeoning weapon, IIRC.
[feat]Item Familiar (UA) fairly broken, but if it would greatly add to the theme of your character.
[feat]Avenging Strike (ToB) Mediocre boost to your attacks. I've taken it before and it helped sometimes, but it wasn't great.
[feat]Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) Whenever you full attack or charge, enemies within 30 ft. save (decent DC) or become shaken.

[class]Hexblade (CWar) Could be good depending on if you could use LE alignment. Cut offs are 2,3, and 4. (Dark Comapion ACF)
[class]Paladin of Tyranny (UA) Cut off here is definitely 2-3, great with Hexblade.
[class]Regular Paladin 2
[class]Anointed Knight (BoED) Cut off 2,4, or 5. Fits your theme and Unicorn Blood and a Sentient weapon can be useful. If you're using point-buy, the 7-8 check on Anoint Self gives you +1 to mental stats, so make sure to keep that in mind during character creation. Also, make sure to get some kind of temporary charisma buff cast on you before using or creating your ointment. If there is no one to cast on you directly in your party, try the local Wal-Mart.

[template]Dragonborn of Bahamut (DMgc) Flight can be very useful. I don't know the stats on Mechanis Armor, but I'll assume you don't mind -2 Dex.
[race]Human is a very good choice, you will want skill points if you're talking, feats are useful, and you can dump int a little more than you normally would have.

[item] Valorous (UE) is very cheap (+1) and effective for damaging.
[item] Anklet of Translocation (MIC) cheap (1,400g) and twice a day, basically free charge route or free grapple escape or free entrance into a door, etc.
[item]Boots of Agile Leaping (MIC) (600g) 5 ranks in Balance lets you stand up from prone as a swift action.

This is what I imagined when I thought about the character you described: Having something nauseated from the pain of your all-mighty hammer, having them shaken and sloppy because of you all-mighty visage, having them cursed from the puny hexblade curse, having them weep as you succeed on every saving throw they force, and having them dead from your all-mighty self. You and your weapon kick back and laugh about the battle at a later time then you proceed to rub it with some KY ointment.

edit: Don't get bogged down with getting CHA to everything, but:

[item]Slippers of Battledancing (DMG2) CHA to attack and damage, must move 10 ft.
[feat]Force of Personality (CAd) CHA instead of WIS to Will saves
Last edited by Woodrow-.- on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metal-faced terrorists claimed responsibility.
A broken household name, usually said in hostility.
Uh. What? It's MF, you silly.
I'd like to take 'Mens to the End' for two-milli.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There is a lot you can do with Fear Stacking if you just want to run around with a big hammer and yell at people.

The only real damage that peopl do in melee is done by Barbarians and Rogues. What do you want to get out of being "a kensai?"

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

He wants a special weapon. That's the prime allure of the class from my own experience. Of course, it's a fucking trap.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Casting a bunch of Cleric spells on a wooden mallet is more bang than the entire Kensai class.

Seriously, casting spikes and then greater magic weapon on a mundane hammer is better than anything the Kensai class will ever give you.
-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

The "Face-Tank" part of the thread title keeps making me think about really shitty tanks in MMOs.

Because they "face" pull (walk close enough that you aggro a monster, instead of using a ranged ability).

Also, yeah, spikes is awesome. I mean, while everyone and their dog is running around with their penis extensions, my archvist just carried a wooden club. He also out-damaged everyone in the group, even the warforged (non-RoW) barbarian. Of course, my group's game mastery is a bit on the low side.

I also really emphasized the fact that his only weapon is an old, grease, blood and water-stained, stick that was held by his belt with a loop in the butt of the handle. People tended to ignore it. To their grave misfortune.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Dwarf is the obvious race if you're not going to be mounted; just use some magic pretty dwarf that doesn't have a charisma penalty.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Woodrow-.-
NPC

Post by Woodrow-.- »

There is a lot you can do with Fear Stacking if you just want to run around with a big hammer and yell at people.
I was advising that he attempt to cause fear, sicken them, and stun them. Is that good? No.
The only real damage that peopl do in melee is done by Barbarians and Rogues. What do you want to get out of being "a kensai?"
Does this guy sound like he has at least the most basic idea of what's good in DnD and why? Yes. Did he mention that his gaming group is a bunch of tools that won't take the time to learn very simple concepts about the game they're playing? Yes. So it sounds like he is just trying to play something that will fit on the power level of what the rest of the party is encountering and what his party consists of, which sounds like they fit into the suck category. But oh well, that happens. I certainly go out of my way to not do things that will stray away from the power level of my gaming group. It can be hard force on yourself, but sometimes if they don't start learning, you just have to sink to their level.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

OH wow, I'd say thanks but the topic is about a year and almost a month old.

Thanks for the necro but I have no need of this now. It at least brought up some conversation. (shrug).
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Woodrow-.-
NPC

Post by Woodrow-.- »

Sorry. I am brand new here and didn't know that something just a few topics down has the capability of being that old. This is the second time I've done this. I'll have to start paying more attention! :bricks:
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Most of this board is theory debates, homebrew, and group projects. As this is not the homebrew board or the group project and theory debate board, it really doesn't get posted in.