Ubernoobs CO Game Discussion

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Random tidbit: 14 int correlates roughly to 130 IQ per the statistics, so a barbarian could quite easily have the ability to deal with DR. It takes 5 or lower int because I know people IRL with what would be 6 int (70 IQ) that function fine for simple things like "It's a demon, use X".

Basically, DR is no argument. And fighters have *plenty* of ways to boost damage in tome land.

Basically, retroactive skill points only matter to people that would have pumped anyways.

Consider me not convinced that it's good for the balance of the game to give Kaelik's PC *even more* skill points right now.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Eh, he's probably not dumping them into hide, move silently, spot, listen, sense motive and search.

With RSP, Merhault's got about 208 skill points.

Looking at Rollanar, who has about 11-12 skill's worth of skills at 17 ranks; that's about the same as Merhault.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Eh, he's probably not dumping them into hide, move silently, spot, listen, sense motive and search.
He's a beguiler, so yeah he is.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Eh, he's only got the sensing skills, his hide and move silently will probably need spells to do those.

How is he using his int modifier to replace his wisdom modifer for certain skills?

Something in Rainbow Servant?

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Eh, he's only got the sensing skills, his hide and move silently will probably need spells to do those.

How is he using his int modifier to replace his wisdom modifer for certain skills?

Something in Rainbow Servant?
Keen Inellect. It's from dragon, but weaker than tome feats, so I didn't see the issue.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Ok.

I'm also guessing that flaws are available. How about traits?

Also, is it possible to get custom magic items?

Specifically a something of Reduce Person, Merhault's..... well, he looks silly.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Ok.

Specifically a something of Reduce Person, Merhault's..... well, he looks silly.
Flaws are available only for Non-Tome feats (because then it's only a minor power boost rather than a direct boost with no drawbacks). Traits are fine. Custom magic items are fine so long as you run them by me.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yeah, I was thinking about picking up Keen Intellect.... maybe the ugh... that whatever-lurker or stalker feat from "Lords of Pentacle Rex"; I think darkstalker? Not tome feats.

For flaws, I'm thinking of Frail (-1 HP per HD), and Poor Reflexes (-3 on Ref saves; With Lighting Reflexes, is that still -3 to my save, or do I also get a -3 on the Balance checks that I make in place of my reflex saves?)

I'll have to talk to Jagg today about posting some time today in the game thread.... since her char is more of the lead between the two of ours. She's the hulking barbarian and Merhault is.... her silly pet. >_>

I was running some of the damage numbers that she can do, and her saves, she's definately very interested.

I was also wondering if and how the costing of an item that casts Planeshift 1/week or 1/month would work? It really doesn't matter, and will probably never get.. wait, we might use it sicne it's a planes game, but in any case such an item would be more for the barbarian's flavour/background than anything else.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Yeah, I was thinking about picking up Keen Intellect.... maybe the ugh... that whatever-lurker or stalker feat from "Lords of Pentacle Rex"; I think darkstalker? Not tome feats.
Both darkstalker and keen intellect would be fine grabs from UA flaws.
For flaws, I'm thinking of Frail (-1 HP per HD), and Poor Reflexes (-3 on Ref saves; With Lighting Reflexes, is that still -3 to my save, or do I also get a -3 on the Balance checks that I make in place of my reflex saves?)
The -3 to reflex saves would penalize your balance check, but since it's a skill check rather than a save do you really care?
I'll have to talk to Jagg today about posting some time today in the game thread.... since her char is more of the lead between the two of ours. She's the hulking barbarian and Merhault is.... her silly pet. >_>

I was running some of the damage numbers that she can do, and her saves, she's definately very interested.

I was also wondering if and how the costing of an item that casts Planeshift 1/week or 1/month would work? It really doesn't matter, and will probably never get.. wait, we might use it sicne it's a planes game, but in any case such an item would be more for the barbarian's flavour/background than anything else.
Planar travel just changes the location of your adventures. It doesn't cost wealth. If the story deems you need a way of planar travel, then by god you'll be able to find one. Level 14+ means that kind of stuff is within your power.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Ok, check on all of that.

I'd like to be clear about which specific skills Keen Int adds its bonus to:

I'm noticing that it affects Rollanor's:

Does: Listen, Sense motive, Spot, Survival

Does Not: Heal, Proffession

Also, on "gear slots"; do we have to come up with shenanigans, like shifting things that would overlap with an other item into currently empty slots, or can we just wear one belt on top of an other, or do they have to spend +50% more in order to wear one cloak on top of an other or do you have something else in mind?

Because I'm finding that non-casters tend to need more items (obviously), and a lot of said items take up the same slot as each other. While spell casters can just, you know, grab an Ioun Stone that boosts their caster level; or use a Bead of Karma, that does the same; and neither took up an item slot.

I'll tell Jaggers that she can pretend that she has and can use whatever item she had before that let her Plane Shift from Sigil to The Mongrel Kobold, as long as she doesn't use it in Combat Time.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Ok, check on all of that.

I'd like to be clear about which specific skills Keen Int adds its bonus to:

I'm noticing that it affects Rollanor's:

Does: Listen, Sense motive, Spot, Survival

Does Not: Heal, Proffession

Also, on "gear slots"; do we have to come up with shenanigans, like shifting things that would overlap with an other item into currently empty slots, or can we just wear one belt on top of an other, or do they have to spend +50% more in order to wear one cloak on top of an other or do you have something else in mind?

Because I'm finding that non-casters tend to need more items (obviously), and a lot of said items take up the same slot as each other. While spell casters can just, you know, grab an Ioun Stone that boosts their caster level; or use a Bead of Karma, that does the same; and neither took up an item slot.

I'll tell Jaggers that she can pretend that she has and can use whatever item she had before that let her Plane Shift from Sigil to The Mongrel Kobold, as long as she doesn't use it in Combat Time.
We're using MIC rules, so you shouldn't run into too many issues. +50% to move a slot, +50% to stack onto another item (with the exception of flat number boosters like +Str, +resist to saves, etc). As for plane shift, I seriously have no problem just saying the following:
As a tremendous show of skill you slice open a minuscule rift in the universe heading back to sigil and dive through just quickly enough for it to close behind you.

Seriously, plane shift is something every character should get at a certain point because it is a story effect rather than a RNG/combat effect. Let's not sweat the little stuff.

Keen intellect should be printed up at realmshelps somewhere.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Ok, thanks:
Keen Intellect

Type: Ancestor
Source: Oriental Adventures

You are descended from Agasha, the founder of the original Dragon shugenja school, a shugenja known for her keen intellect and powers of observation.

Clan: Clan: Dragon, Phoenix.
Benefit: You may use your Intelligence modifier instead of your Wisdom modifier when making Heal, Sense Motive, Spot, or Survival checks. You may also use your Intelligence modifier instead of Wisdom when making a Will saving throw.
With my other Flaw, I'll be picking up Darkstalker.
Darkstalker

Type: General
Source: Lords of Madness

You have learned how to stalk and surprise creatures whose senses are very different from those of a humanoid.

Benefit: When you hide, creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you. You cannot hide in plain sight unless you have that ability as a class feature. In addition, you can flank creatures that have the all-around vision special quality.
Normal: Creatures with these senses do not need to make Spot or listen checks to notice other creatures within range. Creatures with all-around vision can't be flanked.
Jagged said that she'll take Keen Intellect as well and
Mad Foam Rager

Type: General
Source: Player's Handbook II

You fight with the rage that only a rabid badger or a beer-addled dwarf can bring to bear. In combat, you shrug off attacks and continue fighting even in the face of horrific injuries and effects.

Prerequisite: Rage or frenzy ability.
Benefit: When fighting, you can endure tremendous blows with little visible effect. As an immediate action, you can choose to delay the effect of a single attack, spell, or ability used against you. The damage or effect does not take hold until the end of your next turn. You can only use this ability while under the effect of your rage or frenzy ability. You can activate it once every time you tase your rage or frenzy ability.

With these flaws:
Shaky: You take a -2 penalty on all ranged attack rolls.

and

Murky-Eyed: In combat, every time you attack an opponent that has concealment, roll your miss chance twice. If either or both results indicate that you miss, your attack fails.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

That's all fine. Also, time to discuss which element to fuck up first.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hey uber, I was looking at one of the other tome feat threads here, and was wondering if I could use this:

Multi-Weapon Fighting [Combat]
You are pointy in all directions.
This is a combat feat that scales with your base attack bonus.
Prerequisite: Must have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

Benefits: Whenever you make an attack or full-attack action, you may Feint once with each weapon you do not use in the attack.
+1: You have the Edge against opponents whose BAB plus number of wielded weapons (including natural weapons) is less than yours.
+6: Whenever you make an attack or full-attack action, you may make a number of attacks with your tertiary weapon equal to the number of attacks you are afforded with your primary weapon.
+11: You gain two extra attacks of opportunity each round for each weapon you wield beyond your second, these attacks of opportunity must be made with the corresponding weapons.
+16: Whenever you make an attack or full-attack action, you may make a number of attacks with your fourth weapon equal to the number of attacks you are afforded with your primary weapon.

...just noticed the prerequisite, so there's no hurry on ok-ing this feat, I need to take TWF first and only have one feat pick left.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Prak_Anima wrote:Hey uber, I was looking at one of the other tome feat threads here, and was wondering if I could use this:

Multi-Weapon Fighting [Combat]
You are pointy in all directions.
This is a combat feat that scales with your base attack bonus.
Prerequisite: Must have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

Benefits: Whenever you make an attack or full-attack action, you may Feint once with each weapon you do not use in the attack.
+1: You have the Edge against opponents whose BAB plus number of wielded weapons (including natural weapons) is less than yours.
+6: Whenever you make an attack or full-attack action, you may make a number of attacks with your tertiary weapon equal to the number of attacks you are afforded with your primary weapon.
+11: You gain two extra attacks of opportunity each round for each weapon you wield beyond your second, these attacks of opportunity must be made with the corresponding weapons.
+16: Whenever you make an attack or full-attack action, you may make a number of attacks with your fourth weapon equal to the number of attacks you are afforded with your primary weapon.

...just noticed the prerequisite, so there's no hurry on ok-ing this feat, I need to take TWF first and only have one feat pick left.
Y'know, that's actually quite fine. Be mindful of the fact that Fiends get the extra arms feat though before introducing this to the game.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Mu actually doesn't need extra arms, he's already got four natural weapons, the problem is the need for TWF, which I'm not impressed with, so I think I'll find a different feat.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

anyone know if energy resistance from different (non-spell) sourcs stacks?

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ubernoob wrote:

Flaws are available only for Non-Tome feats (because then it's only a minor power boost rather than a direct boost with no drawbacks). Traits are fine. Custom magic items are fine so long as you run them by me.
by tome feats do you mean feats from any of the tomes, or feats that scale? I'd like to take harmless form as a bonus feat from a flaw.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Prak_Anima wrote:
ubernoob wrote:

by tome feats do you mean feats from any of the tomes, or feats that scale? I'd like to take harmless form as a bonus feat from a flaw.
Tome feats are feats that scale such as printed in the tome or user created stuff. WotC feats that scale are incredibly rare.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

There are also a lot of non-scaling feats in Tome of Fiends and Tome of Necromancy that give level appropriate benefits at specific levels.

That is why Prak is asking.

I know that Jagged really likes the idea of Large Size [Fiend], but didn't really fit it into her build.

I'd probably urge her to pick up Harmless form to go along with it, but knowing her... she'd go for Huge Size as well.

I'd probably be able to convince her that a twenty-foot tall Jagged that can't shrink down her size is probably too much Jagged. I'm sure that she'd agree, but would pout.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Judging__Eagle wrote:There are also a lot of non-scaling feats in Tome of Fiends and Tome of Necromancy that give level appropriate benefits at specific levels.

That is why Prak is asking.

I know that Jagged really likes the idea of Large Size [Fiend], but didn't really fit it into her build.

I'd probably urge her to pick up Harmless form to go along with it, but knowing her... she'd go for Huge Size as well.

I'd probably be able to convince her that a twenty-foot tall Jagged that can't shrink down her size is probably too much Jagged. I'm sure that she'd agree, but would pout.
Point. Those are also so massively disproportionate to flaws that they are off limits to grabbing with Flaws.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

the fiend feats in general, or the large and huge size specifically?

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Prak_Anima wrote:the fiend feats in general, or the large and huge size specifically?
As a rule, any feat printed in the Tome is not for grabbing with the BS negligible penalties that come with UA flaws. Period.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ok, just needed to make absolutely certain.