My Samurai experience.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Surgo
Duke

My Samurai experience.

Post by Surgo »

I played my first session in what will be a short-lived Tome game today. I was level 5. In order to model a character idea I had, I ended up using a pretty unusual Samurai build -- high dex (21), low str (10). That generally means my damage output plummets until level 11; to avoid this, I made a custom feat that let me throw ice energy around (as a secondary natural weapon) to help keep my damage output relevent until I got more Samurai and feat goodies (definitely getting Blitz ASAP).

I come away with the following notes:

* Undead = Samurai bane. Immune to criticals. Also immune to cold damage :-( which normally helped keep my damage output relevent. Also I need to make sure to get a bludgeoning weapon...I had slashing (ancestral weapon) and piercing (claw gauntlets for eventual TWF fun and just because it's a good idea), but sadly no bludgeoning.

* For that matter, I totally managed to fail a save against mummy fear, despite Will being my good save, having a +2 cloak of resistance, and getting a +4 for saves against mind-affecting spells and effects. Argh!

* Strength is a bloody important attribute at these levels. I have to see if I can convince my DM to swap the level 11 and 6 abilities of Weapon Finesse. I don't know if I can make it to level 11 without that.

* Keith is mad tricky. He joined us as a Sorcerer, and had a huge barrel of good ideas for dungeon situations. I'm sure he has several levels in the Dungeon Veteran prestige class. He's also a pretty cool guy to hang out with. Also before I leave California, I will make a tournament-level Smash player out of him!
Last edited by Surgo on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

I generally tend to grab Insightful Strike and play a Wisdom focused Samurai, but it can be hard to deal enough damage, yes.

Can we see the feat you created?
<something clever>
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Doesn't have level 16 abilities yet.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

We could help you with that, I think scaling feats have ended up becoming my specialty.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Sure, once I find my papers. Have to get the retarded home situation sorted out. Ugh.