Customizing the board with some of the old bb features?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Crissa wrote:How about a limit on the size of pictures? It could script to give a size tag to something, like the flash does.

-Crissa
As far as I understood our talk, it didn't have anything to do with smoking avatars. And other than that, why not go all the way, preventing any sort of accident (except involving others using one's computer), and simply link pictures elsewhere?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Z, I very much appreciate all your help in this thread.
[/TGFBS]
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Jacob_Orlove wrote:Getting the ignore list back would be awesome.
I know we're not allowed to talk about who we are (or would) ignore, but let's just say new developments have made this a higher priority. Any sign of a patch or plugin?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Bigode wrote:As far as I understood our talk, it didn't have anything to do with smoking avatars. And other than that, why not go all the way, preventing any sort of accident (except involving others using one's computer), and simply link pictures elsewhere?
...Because I can currently insert pictures of insane size and totally make the text unreadable?

There's these tags that can be used to tell the client what size to display an image.

-Crissa
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Crissa wrote:
Bigode wrote:As far as I understood our talk, it didn't have anything to do with smoking avatars. And other than that, why not go all the way, preventing any sort of accident (except involving others using one's computer), and simply link pictures elsewhere?
...Because I can currently insert pictures of insane size and totally make the text unreadable?

There's these tags that can be used to tell the client what size to display an image.

-Crissa
Some forums do have auto-resizing probably to prevent that exact occurrence of expanding the text box to 2000 characters wide. You click the image, and it expands.

As for an ignore function, could some of you just, I don't know, ignore? Or do you truly lack the self-control to not nerdrage when something offends you?
I trust in FBMF to set limits, and he does so when situations desperately need moderation, but on an average daily, weekly, or monthly basis there isn't much to get worked up about.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

sigma999 wrote: As for an ignore function, could some of you just, I don't know, ignore? Or do you truly lack the self-control to not nerdrage when something offends you?
It's like how all those awful TV shows and tragic news stories get so much ratings. If ignoring offensive material was that easy, Something Awful, Maddox, etc. would be ghost towns.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Eh, maybe. Like a car wreck, most can't help but slow down and gawk. Or seriouspost when someone trolls for the lulz.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

sigma999 wrote:Eh, maybe. Like a car wreck, most can't help but slow down and gawk. Or seriouspost when someone trolls for the lulz.
That's why I automatically assume that whenever someone posts something so ridiculous/off-the-wall, I first assume them to be a troll unless sufficient evidence is provided to the contrary; it helps raise my hopes in humanity.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

As for an ignore feature, v3 of phpBB has it. Now that my vacation is done, I'll be digging into some stuff again, as well as asking Neil for his expert opinion on matters.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Zherog wrote:As for an ignore feature, v3 of phpBB has it. Now that my vacation is done, I'll be digging into some stuff again, as well as asking Neil for his expert opinion on matters.
The signal-to-noise ratio is falling again. An ignore feature would be awesome.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

It would be wonderful if v3 of phpBB also fixed the retarded tag issue (how did they not do that a long time ago?).
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Jacob_Orlove wrote:
Zherog wrote:As for an ignore feature, v3 of phpBB has it. Now that my vacation is done, I'll be digging into some stuff again, as well as asking Neil for his expert opinion on matters.
The signal-to-noise ratio is falling again. An ignore feature would be awesome.
Still nothing on this software.

Game On,
fbmf
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Could you increase the number of posts per page? (Please, anyone who would be opposed to it, post here - if there's anyone, I'll start a poll.)
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Let me check.

Game On,
fbmf
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[TGFBS]
The Posts Per Page has been increased to 25, which was what the old TGD board was set to. I'd like to keep it there. Any objections?
[/TGFBS]
Last edited by fbmf on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

No objections here.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

no objections. hell that makes it easier. it's slightly unnerving to see topics spring up with 5-6 pages in a few hours of absence.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Thanks.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Surgo wrote:It would be wonderful if v3 of phpBB also fixed the retarded tag issue (how did they not do that a long time ago?).
v3 does indeed fix that. I belong to a few other forums that use v3, and I've intentionally tried to break it to check if it's fixed. In both cases, the forum didn't break. One of those forums has a fair number of mods installed, but the other is fairly vanilla.

We're working - very slowly - to transition the tech support type functions for Nifty from Neil to me. That process starts with learning how to apply mods, and will go from there. I've told fbmf that I'd be very happy to help him out once I have a basic idea what I'm doing.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson