Eliminating the Assassin

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Eliminating the Assassin

Post by fbmf »

Inspired by Jack's thread, I'm eliminating the Assassin PrC altogether.

If any rogue type just has to have to Assassin spells, I'll make that a class ability up for grabs at tenth level like Opportunist or Improved Evasion. To make the spellcasting at least somewhat attractive, I'll allow spontaneous casting from the entire list of whatever level. Caster level equal to half your rogue levels. Other than that it works just like the Assassin spells.

The class feature "Use Poison without Embarrasing Yourself" I have no problem making a class feature that Rogue's get long about eighth level or so.

Anyone see any problems with this?

Game On,
fbmf
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Re: Eliminating the Assassin

Post by fbmf »

I did the write up and I'll run it by the rogue types this weekend. I'll let you guys know if my campaign comes crashing down, but I don't forsee it.

Game On,
fbmf
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Could I con you into posting the writeup on the It's My Invention board? I'm interested to see how you wrote up these abilities...

Essence
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

For a small feee, sure.

Seriously, I have finals this week and I'm working full time, but as soon as I get a chance I will.

Game On,
fbmf
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Ess,

I was in the middle of writing them up when I realized it would be a lot easier to say that rogues get Poison Use, as the assassin ability, as a class skill at 8th level, and as one of their special abilities they can choose to cast spells as an assassin of half their rogue levels, provided they meet the requirements for spellcasting.

The only difference is instead of having to choose spells for their repertoire, they have access to all Assassin spells of a given level that they are high enough level to cast from.

Yes, this means that as the earliest they can take this ability is tenth level, an intellgence of 16 or higher has them casting third level spells right out of the box.

I don't care. The assassin spells pretty much suck anyway, so whatever competitive edge I can give them, the better.

Game On,
fbmf
ambersloan
NPC

Post by ambersloan »

what fbmf proposes sounds good and touches upon
one of my pet peeves:too many prestige classes,official
optional or otherwise.I am all for (I guess) customizing
one´s character with all sorts of neato skills and feats
but I fail to see the need for all the PrC´s,which border
upon and indeed at times cross the the line of redundancy,
or superfluousness,if you will.Okay,they are needed to
sustain the D&D cash cow and sell supplements,but that´s not the point.I am not advocating a "return to the
basics" -in itself an arguable point(what are the basics)-
of say fighter,thief,wizard and cleric only.D&D now as we all know inherently rewards multiclassing and punishes
singleclassing.And I see no problem with these PrC´s
as excellent or at least workable combinations of multiclassing and skills/feats selection.But they are doing
the rabbit thing too much for my tastes.
My project-if I ever have time- is my take on Frog
Bashing in D&D: abolish the paladin.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Thanks, mf of fbing, that makes sense and isn't terribly powerful compared to other special power options. Mind if I steal the idea? :uptosomething:

Essence
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

All yours, Ess.

Game On,
fbmf
Machine_Kiss
NPC

Post by Machine_Kiss »

The Assassin PrC is somewhat "blah" in my opinion as well.

Although it does serve its function in being a good "stepping stone" or accompaniment PrC. Note its use in Bladesinger (RoF and earlier version) and Telflammar Shadowlord builds. It's best used in cases where your build needs a furtherance in stacking SA dice while using one of Assassin's auxiliary mechanics to fulfill pre-requisites for a *better* PrC down the road.

I rarely see it used for its Death Attack ... and who the hell wants this PrC for the full 10 levels to get Death Attack where it really only matters? :razz: