Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

The idea is that the game has generic classes that give a PC their hit dice, attack bonus, spell slots and such. You then take a kit that gives you abilities and determines your spell choices. Gish kits include Templar, Duskblade, Warden, Dragon Knight, Warmind and maybe Bard. Armiger might be a good bet, since it’s a fancy-sounding word that means ‘can carry weapons’ and all the kits above use weapons. (Monks are a warrior kit.)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If you want to avoid something like Gish then I would probably go with Mage Knight. It rolls off the tongue better than something like warrior-mage or fighter/wizard, is generic without sounding too generic and (at least to me) brings to mind someone who casts spells, wears armor, and uses weapons, without suggesting the use of any specific weapon.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

ETortoise wrote:What are some good, generic terms for Gish? I mean, there’s obviously Warrior-Mage, but there’s gotta be something better. The idea is that it’d be an in-game term that could be used to describe a cleric, duskblade or any other fighting+spell casting character.
Wuxia, Warlock, Samurai (Wizardry ones are Fighter/Wizards)

It also depends on what 'mundane' does in your world. Like can they still yell really loud to collapse bridges and throw temple pillars bare handed or is that a 'magic only' thing
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Isn't that basically what Paladins usually do?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Stahlseele wrote:Isn't that basically what Paladins usually do?
Yeah I had Roland/Orlando Furioso in mind, though I think he tooted a magic horn so hard his head exploded and the mountain collapsed on the saurusians
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The fighter/magic user is a classic archetype, but there isn't an agreed upon name for it. In Might and Magic, it was called 'Archer' which doesn't inherently make any sense, but is as good as anything. In Star Wars, it was called 'Jedi' which is completely made up, but is also as good as anything. In The Witcher, such characters are called 'Witcher' which is a word so incredibly obscure that it sounds completely made up and that is also as good as anything.

The thing is that there isn't inherently a word in English that means 'Wizard who also fights with a sword' because the idea that Wizards wouldn't fight with a sword is an invention of Gary Gygax based on game mechanical role protection. For fuck's sake, Gandalf used a damn sword. The natural English word for a Wizard who also has a sword is 'Wizard.'

So you need to pick a word for the concept that makes sense in your setting and then just stick to using it. It can be a made up word like Sardaukar, a repurposed word like Corsair, or an obscure word like Banneret. The chosen word doesn't matter. The audacity of sticking to the chosen word is what matters.

-Username17
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Isn't using something like "Corsair", which is a real word with a real meaning totally unlike the one you are looking for a bad idea? Unless all your Corsairs in your world happened to be spellswords for some reason, which could be a thing, I guess.

Though, V:TM was massively popular.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Thaluikhain wrote:Isn't using something like "Corsair", which is a real word with a real meaning totally unlike the one you are looking for a bad idea? Unless all your Corsairs in your world happened to be spellswords for some reason, which could be a thing, I guess.

Though, V:TM was massively popular.
Not really? As long as the word you're using isn't something that has a real meaning that is also likely to come up in conversation, you can pretty much Humpty Dumpty words to mean whatever you want. So like, it would be hard to get people to talk about magical warriors as 'Postmen,' 'Waiters,' or 'Stewardesses' in a modern setting, because those words are likely to come up. But as long as the normal word isn't likely to come up and the made up definition comes up frequently that you get a chance to reinforce it, you're basically fine.

So Final Fantasy pays no price for calling character types 'Dragoons,' Dragon Age pays no price for calling character types 'Templars,' and so on and so on.

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Spellsword
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I like using the word Gish
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

If the given wizard uses a particular weapon, I say go for the portmanteau. A sword wizard is a swizard, a spear wizard is a spizard or sorcereranseur, a shuriken wizard is a shwizard, and a bow wizard is a bowarlock. Alternatively, a F/M could be considered a Fim. If it's just a term used for rules discussions getting the point across is more important than if it's an in-setting term, where consistency has some nominal value.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Wait a minute, I just remembered I had a bookmark to a wonderful little list...
SOOTHSLAYER
KILLUSIONIST
TRANSMUTILATOR
ELEMENTALFIST
MAN-AT-CHARMS
WAR WARLOCK
MARKSMEDIUM
ENCHANTERMINATOR
CHARMS DEALER
THAUMATURGE TO KILL
PSYCHO PSYCHIC
GORACLE
HEXECUTIONER
GRASSCHOPPER
METEOBRAWLOGIST
GI GLOW
AUGER AUGUR
BRAWNJURER
IRE ELEMENTALIST
MALLEABELLIGERENT
HOCUS POKER
ABRACASTABRA
MALEKICKTOR
SWORDSERER
PERFORACLE
AXORCIST
TRANSFLOGRIFIER
SLICE ELEMENTALIST
FATALCHEMIST
SPELLCLASHER
CHARMBATANT
DWEOMERDERER
DESPAIR ELEMENTALIST
NECROMANSLAUGHTERER
TRAUMATURGE
HEXORCIST
MURDERMANCER
CASTERRORIST
DEATHVINER
GENOMANCER
RUINOUS RECITER
SPELLCRUSHER
PUNCHCASTER
ATOMIC ARCHMAGE
BOISTEROUS BIBLIOPHILE
CANTANKEROUS CASTER
EPIC EVOKER
MAGICAL MALINGERER
MASSACREGICIAN
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

WAR WARLOCK
why not just WAR²LOCK?
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Oh, fuck, that sounds like a badass B-movie title. I love it.
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Axeorcist.

Next character concept. Thank you :).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Why are the mimic and bag of devouring two distinct things? Why not just say the bag of devouring is a mimic?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Prak wrote:Why are the mimic and bag of devouring two distinct things? Why not just say the bag of devouring is a mimic?
Presumably so the bag can use Gygaxian bullshit cursed item rules.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

^^

With a mimic you can just stab it and root through the carcass when it eats your shit. With the Bag of Devouring if you "successfully" put something into it then it's probably gone forever. If it tries eating you personally then you also get to have a slapfight with your DM because the rules for this process is a bunch of bespoke nonsense that almost certainly contradicts the standard setup of the edition you're playing. If it doesn't seem all that contradictory then you're likely playing 1st or 2nd edition, in which case it only fits in because absolutely everything is bespoke nonsense.
bears fall, everyone dies
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

If Thaumaturge to Kill isn't already an urban fantasy novel title, I'll be mildly upset on the Internet.

I like making the Gish your generic hero/Fighter class, because Dragon Quest and also the Witcher. Also because I'm a giant weeb. Because of that, Hero, Brave or Bravo would be what I call it. The pure swords guy then becomes Soldier (like Frank's Bo9S class) or Warlord and gets tactical stuff.

You could also be cute and call them some riff on Wizard, then call your Black Mage a Thaumaturge, Mage, Mystic, Sorcerer or Sage.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I tried to find posts talking about action/hero/fate/whatever points, but only found posts mentioning such and such game had them, or Zine talking about games that give you points to spend on actions each round.

I'm working on some transformer homebrew for 3.5, and am looking at using an action point set up for that, fluffed as energon.

What do people think of action points?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Prak wrote:I tried to find posts talking about action/hero/fate/whatever points, but only found posts mentioning such and such game had them, or Zine talking about games that give you points to spend on actions each round.

I'm working on some transformer homebrew for 3.5, and am looking at using an action point set up for that, fluffed as energon.

What do people think of action points?
It's a bit more book-keeping than free-simple-complex action systems, with a bit more flexibility. It's not a great system, but it's about as good as any similar system.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

I think Prak is talking about the other things called action points, which are basically Edge for D&D. Getting to reroll a die or some similar bonus once or twice per [longish time period] takes some of the edge off the RNG (ironically) so that trying Very Important actions with a 30% failure rate doesn't ruin everything quite as quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Foxwarrior wrote:I think Prak is talking about the other things called action points, which are basically Edge for D&D. Getting to reroll a die or some similar bonus once or twice per [longish time period] takes some of the edge off the RNG (ironically) so that trying Very Important actions with a 30% failure rate doesn't ruin everything quite as quickly.
Ah, I had forgotten about that. Back in the halcyon days where a 30% failure rate for Very Important actions was on the low end, not power-gaming/playing the game wrong.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

virgil wrote:I like using the word Gish

Whenever I see anyone use the term "Gish" I wonder if they have any idea of where it comes from.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

What is the actual origin? All I have ever thought of was Lillian Gish.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.