General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Wait what?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

saithorthepyro wrote:Nope, it's still around, and with UCAS weaker than ever the CAS is probably stronger than ever. Especially now that Ares has completely pulled out of the UCAS and is now setting up it's HQ in Atlanta.
Catalyst trying to rake in dat sweet, sweet ring-wing chud bux.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The original Shadowrun had a resurgent Confederacy simply because it was the 1980s and if you split the United States into pieces it was inconceivable that one of the sections wouldn't be called "the Confederates."

Initially Shadowrun was primarily concerned with the Pacific Northwest, which of course meant that whatever was going on in Atlanta was far away and largely irrelevant. One of the main racist terrorist factions is based in Texas (Alamos 20K), but aside from a few disparaging remarks about racist slags in Bubba country, the game was pretty much uninterested in the goings on of the Confederacy. Which was probably for the best because it turns out that there's no tactful way to talk about the Confederacy. The historical Confederacy were as close to unambiguous villains as history ever gives us, and that was in the 19th century, where the comparative 'good guys' were happily committing genocide on Native Americans, gunning down labor organizers, working children to death in factories and mines, and didn't allow women to vote.

A couple of things made that situation less stable and more terrible. The first was that the nature of stochastic freelancer driven writing meant that the only people writing about the Confederated American States were people that for some reason wanted to do it. Which meant of course that some of the Confederacy material was written by unreconstructed edgelords. But also remember that most of the authors didn't actually know or care much about the plight of the 19th century negroes, which led to some very dumb 'can't we all just get along?' shit written by people who just genuinely did not understand that writing 'Confederacy: but there's no Racism' is actually super offensive.

But the big thing that made that really go to fuck was the 'Horrors are aligned with Aztlan' plotline. First off, making the Mexicans the 'big bad' is already pretty racist, and opens the door for more racism in future products. And also too the creation of 'Bad Aztlan' meant that a lot of authors ended up portraying Aztlan's opponents in a positive light. Because writing shades of gray dystopian fiction is hard and people keep defaulting to whitehat and blackhat assignments even when that is dumb.

So the Confederacy gradually went from being a minor plot point with 'Here be racists' scrawled on the map to something where the setting itself was promoting racism and presenting white racists as unironic heroes. Not great.

Shadowrun basically has to be burned down with future fantasy cyberpunk mashups learning from Shadowrun's hits and misses but not actually being Shadowrun. As a setting, it cannot be saved. The fact that it's currently being written by criminals and clowns just makes that easier to accept.

-Username17
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

This is true, although a shame for my personal nostalgia. I don't just want a fantasy cyberpunk mashup, I want the signpost for the sixth world to be the great dragon Ryumyo flying above the Shinkansen.

But my favorite "and so it came to pass" tropes really can't be salvaged, because they were set eight years ago :). Near future timelines have a definitive expiration date.

Aztlan was handled poorly. They could be villains simply because they're rich and powerful - they didn't need to be intrinsically worse than any other megacorporation, they just needed to run a 200M population nation-state that was left standing.

The Ghost Dance was handled pretty well, brownface aside. I was always skeptical about the whole "resource rush" ( https://shadowrun-2050.obsidianportal.c ... ource-rush ) setting element as a child, but with the way standing rock played out, it looks absolutely prophetic.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Don't forget that a third of the military disappeared into mist
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Oh and some parts of it are written in a style very reminiscent of Reddit
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No no no no!
So, one of the new fluff books for Shadowrun has dropped, and they've essentially fucked over the entire UCAS as a setting. Some key points

-Ares' experiments with bug spirits ended poorly, surprising no one and now there's a new breed of insect spirits wandering around attacking people.

-The UCAS has decided to repeal the BRA as a result, no longer giving Megacorps the rights recognized in it. Surprise, most of the megacorps stop pulling out.

-EMPs hit all of the UCAS' major cities. People start dying, the matrix is permanently down, and the mageocracy has begun

-NAN has invaded

-Sea Dragon now rules Seattle. Ghostwalker 2.0 everyone!

Edit: Oh, and DocWagon merged with Lone Star
We will NOT just move on from this fustercluck of random history happened points!
The fuck happened there?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

The desire to distinguish themselves obviously
And probably the desire to make the world more chaotic the only way they know how: Disrupt tech
sendaz
Journeyman

Post by sendaz »

Sept 2080 UCAS drops out of BRA

January 2081 UCAS signs the BRA back into effect, plus the re-affirmation bill not only restores all of the previous provisions of the BRA, but adds several new conditions that give Corporate Court-rated megacorporations even more leeway to operate in the UCAS without government interference.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Not to mention Ares claiming that Damien Knight is both possessed by a Bug Spirit and dead, although there are plenty of hints to him not actually being dead. It's theorized the mysterious EMPs was the Corporate Corp punishing UCAS via Nukes to shut down their tech. Like Trill said a third of the UCAS military has disappeared into the mist and probably ended up in Ravenloft. Oh, and Detroit is now overrun by bugs and Seattle is now a free city headed by the Sea Dragon. Oh, and just before this Ghostwalker kicked all the governments out of Denver and has essentially sealed it off from the rest of the world.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

The setting is turning into TORG
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Over the years I've probably played one or two Shadowrun games per edition going from 3 to 5. I've never played in a game and outside of the basics I'm not all that familiar with the greater setting. What did Shadowrun actually get right as a cyberpunk dystopian setting?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

MGuy wrote:Over the years I've probably played one or two Shadowrun games per edition going from 3 to 5. I've never played in a game and outside of the basics I'm not all that familiar with the greater setting. What did Shadowrun actually get right as a cyberpunk dystopian setting?
Prior to Catalyst showing up? A decent amount.

Complete (but fragmented) corporate control, corrupt police, omnipresent violence, actual wageslavery. Plus, the ability to stuff yourself with equipment that totals an amount that would let you retire for a lifetime, without the ability to remove it and resell it because you're a cyborg.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

anybody got a drop to the cutting black file?
i looked at the /tg/ places and can't find anything.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Nath
Master

Post by Nath »

FrankTrollman wrote:One of the main racist terrorist factions is based in Texas (Alamos 20K), but aside from a few disparaging remarks about racist slags in Bubba country, the game was pretty much uninterested in the goings on of the Confederacy. Which was probably for the best because it turns out that there's no tactful way to talk about the Confederacy.
On the other hand, once Shadowrun introduced racism targeted at metatypes that are, by the rules, less intelligent than humans, I guess it was kinda foreseable that the issue was not going to be raised in a tactful manner in any way related to racism IRL.

That being said, the CAS chapter in Dirty Tricks happens to put the largest ork population exactly in the cities and states who has the largest black population IRL (New Orlean, Alabama, etc.), so yes, tactful is not the word.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Still nothing on a copy of the book Stahl. But yeah, this is what, the third attempt at Bug City between Chicago, Boston, and now Detroit.