Designing a Pokemon TTRPG

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

One of the best things about the Pokemon fandom is that everyone has their own interpretations of the franchise.
This is also one of its worst aspects. Alas.

Anyway, let's limp towards the finish line here and outline a campaign that our previously-mentioned 6 man party might be expected to go through.

Let's start off by being blunt: The most basic Pokemon campaign is "People are using Pokemon FOR EVIL!" It's the plot of the games, the movies, the manga, much of the anime, and even Detective fucking Pikachu. It's formulaic, but damn if it isn't what people expect, given the franchise's themes. So we'll go with this premise.

The Campaign
  • The PCs meet up and tell each other their backstories. They see a bad guy mistreating or misusing Pokemon and go stop him. Naturally, he is merely the goon of a greater bad guy.
  • Oh no! The bad guys are actually capturing Pokemon for a purpose! It's up to our heroes to figure out what the fuck they're planning before it's too late.
  • The bad guys are planning to power their superweapon/end the world/make filthy amounts of lucre through abusing overpowered rodents. The PCs have to stop them before it's too late!
  • OH NO IT'S TOO LATE THEY'RE CONTROLLING DIALGA! Now the PCs have to put the genie back into the bottle, whether it wants to go back or not. Except this genie has full control over the flow of time.
  • In response, the Pokemaniac throws all his Pokemon at the problem, the Karate Kid goes Super Saiyan and acclimates to the time shifts, the Super Nerd has a handheld temporal transporter and also buttfucks time, the Ranger befuddles Dialga with his magic friendship beams, the Burglar fucking steals the capability to mess with time, and the Psychic just goes all Professor X.
Of these, the Pokemaniac and Ranger seem the most vulnerable towards the end. I can say that they throw their Pokemon at the problem, but how effective that is really depends on what they have, making it harder to gauge their abilities. The Ranger actually has abilities beyond going full Pokemon, but the Pokemaniac had better hope he's got some strong shit to keep up. The idea is that he does, but that's just an idea, isn't it? They would both need their Pokemon to be able to make up for the fact that they can't go Super Saiyan or rip open holes in reality with their mind, meaning they would need to be able to get Pokemon of similar power. Of course, they could always just catch Dialga, but that's probably the end of the campaign anyway and you've basically won unless you do anime power escalation. The guy who puts his whole life into training his Alakazam should be at parity with the guy who is basically an Alakazam, but also has an Alakazam.
GnomeWorks
Master

Post by GnomeWorks »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:All of that shit I said already exists within the Pokemon franchise. I want a game where you go on Pokemon motherfucking adventures. As it turns out, "Pokemon adventures" is really broad.
All of that shit you mentioned can be done in (probably almost) any TTRPG setting.

If "pokemon adventures" are as broad as anything you could tell in any other setting, the only distinction then is that "pokemon adventures" happen in a world with funny-shaped animals, some of whom happen to be deities or whatever.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Can we get all this stuff moved to a separate topic? The actual review this branched off from feels forgotten at this point.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

That's fair. However, the focus is on those funny-shaped animals. The setting is built around them, as should any homebrew settings.

Darth, I was actually thinking that, too. I wanted to at least make it through all the steps of figuring out what I'd want my game to be, but I probably should've started a new thread for that so we could argue there. Then again, it's not like people were really talking about the review much.
Last edited by The Adventurer's Almanac on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I was hoping by now that the thread would be split off so we could argue about ideal Pokemon RPG stuff in a separate topic from this specific Pokemon RPG. Alas, I may have to wait longer.

That being said, there's still 3 sourcebooks out there. They go into detail about things that are way more interesting to me than gym crawls: Fighting Legendaries, fantasy elements, and sci-fi elements. Pokemon already has all 3 of those things, but the extra books take it further than the franchise usually goes (barring the Pokemon movies where legendaries are basically plot devices). Is anybody interested in those, or shall we let the review lie as it is?
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

I'b be interested in the fantasy elements and maybe the scifi elements
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I'd be a dirty liar if I said the fantasy book wasn't my favorite one for the system. Even moreso than the actual core rules.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I would definitely be interested in seeing what the fantasy book adds to the core PTU experience.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

IT BEGINS
PTU: Game of Throhs

I couldn't find art of this, so it looks like we have some 'original' content!

In our introduction, we are explicitly informed that this book is a toolkit and you aren't expected to use all of it for your fantasy games. Let's see how true that is.

Chapter 1 goes over high level stuff and the basics of running a fantasy game.
Chapter 2 is about the Alchemy "mechanics" and using magical weapons like staves and shit.
Chapter 3 is the juice - our Trainer classes.
Chapter 4 contains 2 sample settings that may or may not be usable. I've always made my own stuff, so I don't recall if I really read this part. If I did, it must've been years ago.
Chapter 1: Genre and Setting
Replace the Growlithe with a Honedge and you have one of my PCs. Also... that is a fucking long sword.

I hope you know what you're getting yourself into when you open this book. The general conceit is that you've departed from your typical modern Pokemon setting into... something else.
You’ve decided your next game will visit another time in history, or an ancient mythology, a completely alien, fantasy world, or maybe just Hogwarts for Pokémon Trainers in a world where Trainer society is completely hidden from the masses sounds really rad to you.
Why, that almost sounds like I'm going to have to make some shit up. Whatever, I'm the GM and I enjoy doing that shit and tweaking my game anyway.

The very first question you're expected to ask yourself is: High or Low fantasy. Oh. Oh, boy. :sad: I have a dubious feeling about this. What's classified as high fantasy? Epic sagas, lots of magic, non-human races... you know, fantastic shit. Quoted examples include Tolkien, Harry Potter, and D&D. They admit that low fantasy is harder to pin down.
The term was originally coined to describe a brand of fantasy that not only takes place on Earth, but features how the supernatural interacts with the mundane as a central theme. It has taken on a second variation over the last couple of years to also refer to a brand of fantasy where the fantastic elements are deemphasized in favor of a more gritty portrayal of human conflict.
Their examples for low fantasy include Stephen King novels (wut?), Lovecraft, ASOIAF, Conan, Berserk, and... World of Darkness. I shall pass no judgment here.

Turns out, Pokemon doesn't really care which one you pick. The games get more high fantasy as the franchise has gone on, but you can easily go back to the gen 1 days where the most supernatural shit was psychic powers... and the Pokemon themselves, obviously. But these were the days when the strongest legendaries had comprehensible powers and couldn't tear asunder the fucking fabric of reality. Either way, they say the biggest difference will involve how Pokemon and people with supernatural powers are treated. Since you're using this book, "people with supernatural powers" will probably involve the players, so... tell them what you're going for so they can make characters accordingly. Nobody wants to get cockslapped when they show up to the first town and discover that wizards are burned at the stake.

Next up, we need to ask ourselves even more fucking questions. There is, in fact, a whole fucking page of them. I have spoilered them for your discretion. However, there is mention of "pure girl love". I guess you can do Sailor Moon in this.
I'm not saying these aren't useful, but I am saying there are a lot of them.
This is so completely fucking stupid I almost love it. Note that Rayquaza can fucking fly, yet Red is still able to run up to hit it with his buster sword. Classic art vs gameplay dichotomy.

Actually Translating This Shit
Pokemon is a very modern setting. What happens when you try and go outside that?

First off, you must know how the fuck Pokeballs actually work in your setting. As you probably know, normally you throw a ball at a Pokemon and it converts it into pure energy that you can upload to computers and the internet. How the fucking fuck does that work? They don't explain it because it's magic and you can't tell me otherwise! Unfortunately, that's not a satisfactory answer for a tabletop game.

There are some salient points you need to consider:
  • In canon, when Pokemon evolve it's a sudden and drastic process and they turn into these glowing blobs. It happens in pretty much all the media. Perhaps a Pokeball keeps a Pokemon in this glowing blob state in stasis somehow?
  • The first Pokeballs were made out of Apricorns. What is it about them that enabled this process?
  • Have people found other ways of capturing Pokemon? Examples include: A mirror that traps ghosts, a talisman on a pouch of glass beads that summons the creature when a bead is smashed, or straight-up summoning rituals.
  • Pokeballs can't be used on fainted Pokemon. Can yours? How is this possible?
  • What happens when a Pokeball breaks and there's a Pokemon inside it? Does it release the Pokemon, kill it, or corrupt it horribly?
  • Do you want to explore how fucked up this whole situation is and examine how this is done as a plot point?
  • Why the fuck don't these work on people, anyway?
They don't really answer any of these questions here. However, both of the settings have their own blurbs about how capturing works in them.

Like I said earlier, you can shove Pokemon into computers and they get teleported... somewhere. If you don't have fucking computers, this poses a problem, as carrying around a dozen or more Pokemon is a pain in the ass. Of course, this is fantasy, so it's not that big of a problem. Maybe there's a magical network where people can summon and store Pokeballs through rituals, or there's a group of mages who created a pocket dimension to store Pokeballs in and they have offices around the world. The cheap answer is, as always: MAGIC!

Of course, you don't have to do that. You don't have to have any Pokemon storage at all. They don't recommend this for games with high amounts of travel, but... my own experiences say otherwise. Heroic PCs tend to make friends, and these friends tend to have large tracts of land where Pokemon can run around. Or you go the D&D route and just start a fucking village in the wilderness or something. In this case, you might not even have a cap on how many Pokemon people can carry. I don't, but don't you worry - the bookkeeping involved makes this a self-correcting problem. One guy rarely has more than 4 on hand, one has 6-7, and the other has every single one he's ever caught, because they're all cute and cuddly and he's apparently okay with going through a dozen sheets at once. I digress.

Pokemon Centers are already basically magic, so fuck it. This one's easy. Replace them with clerics, medicine men, apothecaries, and whatever kind of fast healing bullshit you want. If Pokemon trading is a formal thing like it is in the regular setting, then you should probably bundle their services with your healers.

Pokedex? Magic tome bound to its owner. The Pokenomicon, if you would. Or magic eyewear, if you're into relics. Or a fucking "mentoring spirit" that follows you around and does all your Pokedex shit. I really want to know where they got the idea for that from. Makes me think of Ryuk from Death Note.

TMs? How the fuck do those normally work anyways? They're floppies that can only be used once and never again, so... what the fuck? This is arguably easier to reconcile in a fantasy campaign, where you can just make reagents for magic rituals, special enchanted tattoos, drugs that make your Pokemon go on spirit quests, or just a goddamn potion. I go with magic scrolls, personally. Please, no Naruto references. I get them enough from my players...

Mega Evolution? Already fucking magic, man. Maybe Mega Stones are made through alchemy or they're divine blessings... or you unlock it when your Pokemon masters their INNER FUCKING CHI and reaches enlightenment. I like the last one the most.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to look cool or not.

Fantasy Flavors

Yum. I probably don't have to tell you guys this, but fantasy covers a whole lot of shit. They list some common genres and what you need to do to Pokemon that shit up.
  • Age of Discovery involves pirates and shit, yarr harr. Examples include that one Assassin's Creed game, Pirates of the Caribbean, One Piece, and Treasure Island. Your Pokeballs are probably magical in this case, and since you've got a ship, just store all your Pokemon there! With your fucking doctor who heals you! Just map out some islands and get some factions ready and let your players go wild.
  • Steampunk and Tribal Fantasy are apparently not far from the Age of Discovery? Uh, sure, I guess. You know what the fuck steampunk is. The real question is if industrialization has changed the way people handle Pokemon. Do people care less about them now, or use them only for sport instead of labor? Tribal Fantasy is basically you playing out indigenous populations of the Americas. Shamans and animists abound and that actually jives with Pokemon pretty well. Just go google some tribes and pick one that sounds like it would be neat to play out in a tabletop game.
  • Arabian Nights involves the more fantastic elements of the Islamic golden age. You know, 1001 Nights, Aladdin, Sinbad, shit like that. You probably want to focus more on flying carpets and lost treasures and knowledge than... y'know, real shit. Maybe you actually want to reenact Aladdin, or maybe you want to be a humble group of traders on the Silk Road avoiding spirits. Here you should ask yourself what Pokemon are - are they spirits like djinn, natural phenomenon, or just regular magic animals? For high fantasy games, you should totally think about summoning Pokemon out of lamps and rings and shit. Their recommendations for prepping are to just go read 1001 Nights. Fair enough.
  • Chivalric Romance is your typical European fantasy. King Arthur, Beowulf, those kind of stories. Just replace regular animals and monsters with Pokemon as needed and say a wizard made Pokeballs. Or maybe fairies. Storage here is probably just a fort, and magical healing is easy to explain. Also, a wizard did TMs. No, really. No, really, they say 'no really'. Just make a region with some factions, some magical region with fairies or super strong Pokemon, and any good old cults. Oh, and a quest. Knights love quests and shit.
  • Dungeon Fantasy is D&D. Your good old kitchen sink fantasy with ludicrous amounts of danger and loot involved. Examples include Dragon Quest, Wizardy, FF1, and The Hobbit. Obviously you can just shove Pokemon right in there, no problem. Pokeballs were made by a mad wizard who was killed by adventurers, who stole his technology and popularized it. I like that TMs here are sort of like Vancian casting, in that you imbue a spell scroll's knowledge right onto your fucking brain. Given that Pokemon already has dungeon crawling, this is really, really easy to do. And fun.
  • Sengoku Jidai is Chivalric Romance for weeaboos. The Sengoku period kicked ass and would be totally awesome to adventure in, so... cool. Examples include Pokemon Conquest, Inuyasha, Princess Mononoke, and Onimusha. You could use Pokemon as part of armies, pets of lords, sold by foreign traders, or just as fucking yokai, since some of them are already yokai anyway. Maybe Pokeballs were introduced by foreigners and are in very high demand, like firearms in real life were. TMs and the like could be... enchanted paintings and shit? Huh. Either way, you still need maps and factions... and to decide how you're handling warfare. They straight up ask you if you're going to make your own subsystem for mass battles and have the players engage enemy commanders in traditional Pokemon battles. I really, really hope nobody's tried to make mass battle rules for this game. You could also just do traditional battles around the field, or just fucking handwave all that shit up. Regardless, you should decide that at the start.
  • Urban Fantasy is... well, not too far off from what Pokemon already is. However, they typically involve the supernatural being separate from the real world, so I think this would make it closer to the Detective Pikachu movie? They mention a masquerade, because duh. Examples include SMT, Persona, Dresden Files, and Durarara!! Do people know about Pokemon in your setting? If so, how is it any different from the regular stuff? If not, how do they stay hidden? You can rip off how SMT and Persona handles summoning their demons/personages. Just rip off SMT for everything, honestly. If you're going with the hidden Pokemon thing, then you need to prepare for when the players inevitably blow the whole secret apart, as players are wont to do. Otherwise, get your big secrets and conspiracies ready and a vague roadmap for how your players will uncover them.
  • Wuxia is crazy shit with martial arts and life forces and wire-fu. Expect lots of melodrama and action here. Rather than having people getting into martial arts duels all the time, you can have them get into Pokemon duels where every faction has their own super-secret Pokemon techniques. And maybe the humans also duel each other, too. For honor. You could go with Apricorn balls, but it's fine to just have all your Pokemon outside all the time as you travel, since people travel with weird monsters all the time in wuxia. Or paper talismans that summon them. That's cool, too. And your healing could be acupuncture or acupressure or balancing your chis and shit. Rather than TMs, you should have Move Tutors almost exclusively, so you learn badass techniques from old men living on mountains. Just write out a few martial arts clans and why they hate each other and you're good to go.

Oh, man, we've got one section to go, but it's the second half of this chapter. It goes over... Pokemon metaphysics. This is probably my favorite topic in the book, so I'll stop now and save it for next time. Any questions so far?

Next time: The Supernatural and Metaphysics
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

The Supernatural and Metaphysics

This is the kind of shit I eat up. Sue me.

I will unfortunately admit that this kind of stuff is one of the things that appeals to me most as a GM. My players aren't terribly interested in metaphysics, but it's helped me out to pin some of this stuff down. This is because the Pokemon franchise doesn't really explain any of this shit at all, so you have a lot of leeway to work with when making or adapting your setting.

Here's what you should consider first.

The book raises a point I agree with - any magical system you create should be based around the 18 Types, given that Pokemon are already magical creatures. If you explain one, it should inform the other. Where did these types come from? Is it possible for new ones to come about? Are Types literally the building blocks of the world, like various philosophies thought elements were? What does it mean when a human has Elementalist power and can do Avatar stunts? How do they get that power? Does any of this have to do with why Pokemon are catchable and humans aren't? Do you have other supernatural elements? What happens when people or Pokemon die?

They do have some examples and answers to these, my favorite of which is that Elementalists get their magic powers from pacts with Legendary pokemon. Another is that souls pass on after death, but strong emotions leave behind Ghost pokemon that can't remember their lives. You could easily do elemental plane versions of the Types, if they're that important to the structure of the universe.
And even if you treat the Types as just properties that Pokémon have, perhaps some locations are infused with the energy of a certain Type, such as the shrines for certain Legendary Pokémon. These locations are ripe for creating Type Shifted Pokémon or variants to refluff Pokémon that are normally tied to technologies too advanced for your setting - a crystalline elemental plane of Normal Type energies to match the Prism and to house a Porygon variant that travels through magical crystals, for example.
Awesome.
Finally, you should also consider the various dimensions in the Pokemon world, like the Distortion World or Dream World. These places already exist and some players might want to pay them a visit.

They supply us with some example systems to help you get started.
  • Mystic Traditions is what they claim to be the "default" metaphysical system, or as close as they could manage, given the dearth of information on any of this. We're basically in fanfic territory, but this one's at least trying to stick to canon. Types are just properties that Pokemon and some people have. Everyone has an aura, but only special snowflakes are born with any capability of harnessing it. Psychics run in the family or sometimes come about through weirdo science accidents. Pretty much everything else is just training, such as N's supernatural empathy or a Ninja's ability to do ninja magic - or circumstance, like many of the Elementalists.
  • Practices of Neigong is obviously Chinese-inspired. Types don't form matter, but your life energy. Pokemon can channel this energy, but cannot change their nature, binding them to their Types. Humans aren't born with this ability, but can learn to control their life energy and do Avatar shit through meditation and training. No human is born with supernatural powers and learned it through a combination of philosophy and action.
  • Divine Bloodlines is Fire Emblem, sorta. A long time ago, Pokemon didn't exist. Then they did, and their existence changed reality. Types are physical matter in this one. In the early days, Pokemon gods appeared before humanity to help them through all these new Pokemon showing up out of nowhere. This, uh... involved some fucking. The book says these gods took human form, but I'm suspicious. Regardless, this resulted in divine children, hence the name. Anyone with an Elemental Connection has diluted holy blood and feel compelled to act as an agent of their ancestor, all of whom have retreated to "elemental Otherworlds".

For reasons unknown to me, the Elemental Anima system has its own section and is way bigger than the last 3. I suspect this is because it saw the most play in the developers's actual games, since they admit it's meant for use with one of the example settings in the back of the book. Because of its detail, this is the one I cribbed the most from when making up my metaphysics. Obviously it's based on Animism, which the book briefly defines. The basic idea is that literally everything has a soul or spirit, go google for more info.

These spirits are called Anima, and there are 19 of them. 18 are Pokemon Types and are the Elemental Anima. The 19th is the Origin or Creation Anima, which is (usually) exclusive to humans. Origin Anima is more stable than Elemental Anima, which is why most differences in humans comes down to appearance while Pokemon can be fucking anything and still implausibly interbreed. This Origin Anima is basically the collective thought and imagination of all humanity and Elemental Animas draw from the Origin Anima when designing new Pokemon species, which is why new types are created as humanity progresses. Because humans have Origin Anima, they cannot be turned into energy and contained in Pokeballs. Whether Pokemon spontaneously appear from people's dreams and stories or if they get spit out of the Elemental Anima in batches is up to you, if you want to introduce them a generation at a time. Legendary Pokemon can be embodiments of a specific Anima or even have their own spark of Origin Anima... or just big animals with a lot of one Anima. Either way, if people don't believe in them, then they don't have as much power.

There's a blurb about what each Type means when you might have an entire forest infused with Dragon or Fighting Anima, and it's neat. Dragon Anima makes shit more extreme and dangerous, while Fighting Anima makes the wildlife competitive and the terrain forms natural arenas and training grounds. It goes on about other types, but this is just neat. In addition, all of the Moves are infused with Anima, which is why Comet Punch is different from Mach Punch and hurts things differently. All humans are born with Origin Anima, but some are born with or acquire a bit of Elemental Anima within themselves, explaining their superpowers. Here, the supernatural is well understood and a part of daily life.

Since only Origin Anima is actually stable, this gives you an excuse to make a bunch of stupid, wild dungeons that come out of nowhere. Only landmarks and other places that remain in human memory actually stay there - all the wilderness around it is in a state of flux. It won't shift in a way that is anathema to its Anima, but if a Water Anima takes hold in a forest... well, it'll be fun to explore, at least. It's recommended that you introduce ideas for how the PCs can better navigate this oWoD Mage-style clusterfuck. There's a bit about the Dream World, which is the "factory" where new Pokemon are made, but they also mention Demesnes. Some Pokemon do have a bit of Origin Anima in them, and that makes them even crazier than usual. They can basically alter reality around them.
At one moment, a group of Trainers may be going on what they think is a routine walk in the forest, and in the next, they are trekking through the labyrinthine mystical Demesne of an Origin-empowered Torterra.
These Demesnes have heightened supernatural qualities. A forest is filled with walking trees that will uproot and rearrange themselves, closing off parts of the forest while opening new paths. Trainers will find themselves suddenly engulfed by a rising wall of water as coral reefs spring into existence around them, but after a moment’s panic, they realize they can breathe the water.
While I can appreciate this concept, you're gonna have to MTP a decent amount of it, which is just a shame. This is an even more explicit reason to have a dungeon show up, complete with a boss monster that causes the dungeon to disappear when you beat it. It's a bit too convenient for me, but I like the basic idea enough - superpowered Pokemon changes the environment around. I like it so much I think most Pokemon should be able to do it. If you're using the Legendary splat, then you can give these Pokemon one of the totally busted Auras that are meant to make Legendaries scary to encounter.

Fantasy Pokémon Variants

The Homunculus Reuniclus. Say that five times fast.

It's not a new Monster Manual, but I'll take it. I fucking love reading about Pokemon variants. Here's a quick rundown:
  • The Antikythera Pokemon is a fucking monstrosity used to predict the movement of cosmic bodies. It's mostly made out of rusty Klink which group together into a dozen at a time, making them more offense-oriented. There are Unown engraved onto the machine that can come to life and observe those examining the machine. Naturally, they are written in whatever alphabet your setting has. It's powered by magic Voltorb that seem linked to the sun and moon somehow, and is Electric/Fairy accordingly.
  • Clockwork Porygon is a solution for settings without a computer. It's made out of stained glass and you can barely see the cogs and machines inside it. It can't control electronics, but instead simple machines. Given that it explicitly states "simple machines", I'm positive that a clever engineer could ruin a GM's day with this. However, it can't possess a machine, merely control it.
  • Fire Elemental Chandelure is a pure Fire-type and has no spooky Ghost moves or Abilities, gaining Amorphous in the process. Not very mechanically interesting, but I can recreate the cooking flames from Spirited Away and that's all I really want anyway.
  • Haunted Armor Golurk is, quite obviously, some animated armor. Duh. They recommend pairing it with a Honedge for maximum ghost fun. It becomes Ghost/Steel and picks up Wielder, along with more defensive abilities.
  • Homunculus Reuniclus is oddly special and makes me think someone used it a lot in a game. It's a failed experiment in creating artificial humans, and as a result all Solosis really wants to be human. Like, really bad. When they find a trainer, they do their best to emulate them and cannot evolve without being taught to act more human. It will latch onto its trainer and the values they are taught. It becomes Normal type until it evolves into a Reuniclus. At this point, you are presented with a chart containing 5 values: Knowledge, Pleasure, Power, Belonging, and Freedom. Depending on which you pick, your Reuniclus is a different type and learns different moves, and even picks up a Trainer feature due to your teachings. This is really neat, WTF?
  • Honedge Armory is clearly a bunch of different weapons with ghosts in them. They grant different Weapon Moves and have their own variants on King's Shield. One is a rapier that evolves into a pair of daggers, then finally a rapier and sword breaker, learning Blade Trap so you can deny your opponent their Evasion after you block their attack. The other is a kopis, then two xiphos swords, then a kopis and aspis shield, learning Phalanx, giving you an AoO against the person whose attack you block. Simple and to the point. People have homebrewed a ton of these.
  • Jousting Samurott is a Samurott based on knights instead of samurai. Now its armor looks like plate mail, including a pseudo-visor over its eyes. It's Water/Steel and swaps its base SPATK and DEF, among other things.
  • Pegasus Rapidash is something I've seen lots of fanart for. It's Fire/Flying and picks up Sky speed and some Flying moves. Next!
  • Re-Cultured Cofagrigus is for when you're in a historical setting. There's Coffin Cofagrigus, which is Ghost/Grass and has Pressure because it's spooky, Burial Tomb Cofagrigus, which is Ghost/Rock and has Sturdy, and Funeral Pyre Cofagrigus, which is Ghost/Fire and gains Flash Fire so it can literally eat flames. Don't forget to change the base Yamask accordingly! Even if it doesn't say how...
  • Outsider Kabutops is one of my favorites, partially because Kabutops is my favorite Pokemon. This is some eldritch shit that lives in another plane that kills mages who study other dimensions foolishly. It is highly unstable and change types at will from Rock/Dark to Rock/Ghost. As Rock/Dark, it crits the fuck out of things and you can't read its mind. As Rock/Ghost, it can walk through walls and vanish when you hit it, appearing behind someone else instead. It is at times ephemeral, then shifts into a mess of shadow blades that seek out its victim's weak points.
This is the sickest fucking shit and NOBODY can tell me otherwise.

And with that, we're done with Chapter 1. There's some really useful stuff in here that sparked my imagination when I first read it. Going through it now, I wish it went into more detail over certain aspects, especially mechanically, but I still think it's a helpful GM tool for world creation where it relates to Pokemon. I didn't mention it earlier, but actually using anything in this book once we DO get to the mechanics will result in a game that has a far higher power level than normal. They actually warn you about it here, like that isn't awesome or something.

Next time: Chapter 2: Alchemy and Gear
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Chapter 2: Alchemy and Gear
Nidokings in armor are fucking badass. RAW, you can never put armor on a Pokemon.

As you know, magic items kick ass. A sword that's on fire will always be cooler than a mundane version of that same sword, even if it's mechanically inferior. That being said, flaming swords and magic items aren't things that the franchise normally has. The game's "solution" to introducing items like these is the Alchemy "system". There's a mention of what alchemy was like in real life and how you can use them to be your magic-item generators.

Why did I have air quotes around the word 'system'? Because this entire process is 4 steps long and not even an entire page. I'm getting flashbacks to the equipment chapter in the core book. :P
  • Step 1: Choose the Base. A Base is the item you're trying to put magic into, like weapons or armor or whatever. Consumables and living organisms generally do not apply. You could make magic ink and tattoo it on someone, but you couldn't just alchemize their skin directly. It is mentioned that you can use an already alchemized item as a Base to make superpowered gear, but it should be difficult and expensive.
  • Step 2: Choose the Catalyst. A Catalyst defines the main quality of your alchemized item and is usually an elemental stone, TM, or other common held item. Even Fossils, apparently?
  • Step 3: Add Extras This is an optional step, but Extras are typically disposable garbage you have a lot of, like Berries or Type Gems, things like that. As the name implies, they add on something extra to your item.
  • Step 4: Alchemize! Finally, you take your shit to an alchemist and they make your item in under an hour. Just a single Extended Action for your flaming sword! Alchemists can only do their magic within Alchemy Lodges.
As a framework, this... works. There's a process you can follow and it spits out results. The problem is that there are only example lists of bases and catalysts and items, so most of the work is actually up to the GM and the player. Due to the sheer openness of the system, it took a lot of stockpiling of random shit before my players or I could actually come up with a magic item worth making.

But what if you don't want to go to an NPC to have this done for you? Well... there's no Alchemist class or feature. The ONLY way to do it is to undergo a personal subplot to find a mentor. They didn't want to make it a feature tax or make it to where people can buy it, only to rarely use it. I get it, but I feel mildly unsatisfied with the execution. Once that's done, they just need their own Alchemical Lodge and they're good to go. There's also mention of a Philosopher's Stone, which will explicitly allow you to do weird shit. However, they never really define what weird shit is.
When it comes to upgrading the enchantment on an item, or trying to do something unusual with this system (such as trying to create life or revive the dead), the easiest solution is to get your players to require a Philospher’s Stone to perform what they are trying to do. How these are actually made or acquired we’ll leave in your hands, but they should be rare enough that acquiring one should be a major plot point, a meaningful moral dilemma, or take a significant amount of time and resources to acquire.
Well, that isn't fucking helpful at all, is it?

What follows are a few pages of example stuff. This is mildly helpful, but not nearly comprehensive enough to be terribly useful. What kind of awe-inspiring shit can you make with various items you collect?
  • Elemental Stones can let you change the Type of the move you're using to match the stone, or grant a Move of the associated type (like Shadow Sneak, if you stick a Reaper Cloth on your sword). On Armor, they give DR vs that type or arbitrarily let you resist 1 attack of that type, once per scene.
  • Type Plates are like Stones, except they also grant Abilities, or "custom effects" they don't describe.
  • Held Items apply its effect to your weapon (such as a King's Rock causing Flinch on 15+ or something) or give your armor a chance to ignore that effect (like being immune to Flinching, in this case).
  • Fossils grant an Ability that the Pokemon would know if it was alive, or if you put it on a weapon you can get the Ancient Power effect on all your weapon attacks.
  • Type Gems can upgrade associated Moves if you have a corresponding Base (like putting a Ghost Gem on your Reaper Sword would turn Shadow Sneak into Shadow Claw), or deal +5 damage to things weak to that type.
  • Berries give +2 bonus to specific Save Checks. Yawn.
  • Cleanse Tags let you hit ghosts with your sword, disable your target's Invisibility or Phasing, or just make you immune to Curses.
These are some neat ways to customize your trainer, but I'm not too impressed. Now, when you start alchemizing alchemized items and get some alchemy in your alchemy is where things actually start to get kind of cool. Let's look at their example magic items. MY GOD, THEY HAVE ART FOR THEM!

This is the Brimstone Blade, made from a Fine Knife, a Dark Plate, and 3 Fire Gems. It grants Night Slash, and when you crit with it, enemies become Burned. Basic, but effective.

This is the, uh... "Badass Fire Sword of Fairy Buttkicking". You need a Fine Longsword, a Charizard Mega Stone, and 3 Coldsteel Ingots (these do not actually exist in the rules). It grants the custom move Flametongue (Slash, but Fire-type) and all moves used with the sword are Super Effective vs Fairies.

In case you were afraid of getting stupid, this is The Candy Hammer. It requires a Fine Warhammer, the tears of a virgin maiden, and 3 Rare Candies. All attacks with this weapon are of the Candy-type (neutral to everything), and once per day you may lick the Candy Hammer to restore 2 HP Ticks. Y'know, in case you wanted to run THAT kind of game.

However, these are only your standard magic items. They're better than normal swords and staves and knives and shit, but not by much. This is why we have Legendary Items. Usually crafting these requires a ritual or pilgrimage to a sacred place or leyline or some kind of bullshit. This is when we finally get to effects that might actually get you excited.

This is the Ruyi Jingu Bang, or Goku's Power Pole. You need a Fine Staff, "Blessed Fire given by an Infernape Outer God", and 3 Fighting Gems. This grants you Mach Punch, Fire Punch, AND Brick Break, and you have Reach 5 with this weapon. Twice a Scene, any attack from this weapon can be given the Smite Keyword and change its range to Burst 1-3 or Close Blast 2-4. It would be ideal if you could actually shrink and grow this thing like in the stories, but at least this makes you feel badass when the combat music starts.

Oh god, is that Excalibur? Jesus christ. You need a Longsword, "Steel blessed by Arceus" and one of each Type Plate. You get Sacred Sword and can change its type as a Swift Action, in addition to the Regal Challenge Ability. That's it, nothing else. What, you expected Excalibur to do anything outside of combat?

Behold, the ultimate weapon: The Chaos Dunker. It is wrought from The Candy Hammer, A Diglett's Lower Body, and a Philosopher's Stone. It grants the most badass Ground-type moves and gives them the Friendly keyword, AND its attacks bypass Ground immunities.

As neat as the art is, you may have spotted an unfortunate pattern with these weapons: No matter how cool they are, none of them do anything when the combat music stops playing. Granted, these examples are all magical weapons so it makes sense that they excel at killing fools, but the coolest thing I saw so far were the Shadow Walkers, some boots with a Gengar's soul inside them that grant you the Shadow Meld capability. Nevermind, I overlooked the Yata no Kagami, which isn't a weapon at all. When wielding it, you are immune to all Illusions and can look in the mirror to see if someone is disguised or transformed. Once per day, you can force anyone looking into the mirror to answer one question truthfully. That is the kind of magic item that players can really, truly get excited about, and it is in the vast minority of these examples. Once again, they have a decent idea surrounded by bullshit and refuse to go as far as they should with it.

Arcane Weapons

You may have also noticed that most of my examples above weren't very out there - swords and hammers and staves and whatnot. However, this is Pokemon and the Physical/Special split happened almost 15 years ago. Guys swinging their swords around with their ATK stat need their blaster mage counterparts hitting fools with their SPATK. Hence Arcane Weapons. They work like weapons already do, coming in Small/Large melee and Short/Long ranged varieties, including the Crude/Simple/Fine quality distinction. In a really shitty move, you can't use ANY Arcane Weapons without the Arcane Training feature. THIS IS NOT A FEATURE YOU CAN GET FOR FREE. You mean I've gotta spend the shit I buy class features with just so I can use a wand? Fuck you. I straight up ignore that shit and let you use arcane weapons if you have Novice Occult Education. For fuck's sake.

Arcane Weapons also have their own list of Arcane Weapon Moves. Without exception, every single one sucks dick compared to hitting a dude with a sword. Let's compare the strongest Novice moves from each set: Backswing is what your greatsword wielders do when they want to chop people in half. It's DB 7 (9 because it can only be paired with big weapons) and hits 2 dudes, AC 2. Resonance Beam is a fucking laser. It's DB 4, Line 4, and inflicts -1 SPDEF CS on a fucking natural 20... and is AC 3. Am I seriously expected to pay a fucking feature for this? Did anyone test this shit? Also, ALL OF THESE ARCANE WEAPON MOVES ARE BLASTER SHIT! You've got your cone attack, blast attack, burst attack, single-target attack, and line attack, and that's it! You can't even get fucking Mage Armor or ANYTHING that's actually interesting. How can you fuck up an idea like "magic wands" so hard? Seriously, what the fuck. This entire subsection is completely worthless and I can't imagine that anyone tries to play an Arcanist by RAW. This is one way of gimping spellcasters, I suppose...

Overall, it looks like I forgot how frustrating this chapter was. The ideas? Rock solid. The framework? Servicable and functional. The actual implementation? It's like they stopped trying midway through and said fuck it in order to get the book released. I can understand polishing up your homebrew and sticking it in a sourcebook, but this all really needed some more polish. Oh, well.

Next time: Chapter 3: Trainer Classes
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Chapter 3: Trainer Classes

Before we jump into the classes, there are a few more Edges and Features. By which I mean 1 Edge and 3 Features.

The Edge is Weapon of Choice, which gives you a bullshit +2 bonus vs being disarmed. If you would be disarmed, you can pay 1 AP to not be disarmed anyway. There's the aforementioned feature tax on Arcane Weapons, as well as a Smith feature that lets you make fine weapons and heavy armor and shit. Lastly, we have Type Sync, which requires an Elemental Connection, a Type-linked class like Type Aces and Elementalists, and Adept Medicine/Occult/Tech Education. You just replace up to 4 of your Pokemon's types with the one you're connected to. That's cool, but this is all? Jeez...

We start off with the Berserker. Like all of the classes in this book, this one focuses on trainer combat. You pick up the move Rage when you get in, which puts the Enraged condition on you while you attack. You get a bunch of bonuses while you're raging like DR and Priority in addition to Fainting at -50% HP instead of 0%. They can add +X to the Damage Base of all their weapon moves, where X is how many Injuries they have... so if you lived on the edge you could be cranking your moves up so Rage does as much damage as Hyper Beam. This guy can't do shit but fight, but he will blender most things in front of him. It's worth noting that all the classes in this book also give out stats, so a maxed out Berserker has 7 more HP than if he was a different class.

The Rune Master is an Unown specialist, which is actually sort of creative. You gain the ability to Gather Unown as if you were a level 20 Pokemon, and your Unown can be Letter Pressed into a Prime Unown, discussed earlier. You can also learn Hidden Power and, once per day, reroll the Type of you or your Unown's Hidden Power. You also gain the ability to place Glyphs, which you can see, hear, and speak through, by placing an Unown against a flat surface, as well as Alarm Runes, Explosive Runes, and Sentry Runes, which are applied to Glyphs as triggers. Alarm Runes have a range of 30 meters and you can hear it in your head regardless of the distance and if you have 1 AP bound. Explosive Runes lets your Glyph use Hidden Power regardless of distance, and Sentry Runes cause a Glyph to turn back into an Unown which can fight on its own without you commanding it. After any of these triggers, the Unown disappears back to Unown Space forever. Finally, there's Words of Power, which lets you alter the range on Hidden Power, changing it from a Burst into a Melee, 6 meter ranged attack, or Cone 2 attack, also giving you and your Unown STAB on all types of Hidden Power. This is an odd class and could go further based on canonical showings of the Unown, but it's still pretty neat overall.

The Arcanist is our ranged blaster class. They need to eat the feat tax from earlier and they can make Soul Bonds with an Arcane Weapon, making them stronger as you level and allowing you to Force Pull it from 10 meters away. Most of the class is based around Power Manipulations, which have 2 ranks and can be applied to most Special moves, not just Arcane moves. However, the class itself doesn't give out any moves, so you'd need to pick them up from elsewhere. Despite one of the features being called Metamagic, none of the Power Manipulations are as cool or strong as actual metamagic. This is a surprisingly weak class for someone who fires off magic lasers all day.

The Fortress is the tank class. They get to Mark people they attack and are adjacent to, and those guys take up to -6 on their Attack Rolls, depending on your Focus rank. Because we can't have nice things, other Marks overwrite yours. A -6 on a d20 roll, factoring Evasion, isn't too bad of a penalty, but I've seen the Tome Knight. I know what's up. The Fortress can also deal more damage to people faster than them OR be immune to crits, give everyone adjacent to them up to 6 DR, ready their Shields as a Swift Action and use it to "stick" to an ally, moving with them, smack Marked targets while adding their DEF to damage rolls, and completely negate one Persistent Status AND one attack per scene. The Mark could be better, but this class definitely does what it's supposed to.

Do I spy some Unlimited Gun Works here?
The Marksman is the ranged class. They inflict triple damage on crits, can sacrifice their Shift action for +2 Accuracy & Crit range, fire off two Struggle Attacks at once, place an "overwatch", which is a 3x3 area where you can make Ranged Weapon Attacks against anyone moving in it, negate Evasion on targets not near walls or other people, Trip people at range, and their capstone is that weird thing where they declare their action on their turn and actually go at the end of the round, moving and hitting something, rolling twice to hit and critting if both do hit. Again, I don't think this class goes far enough, but again, it does its job of letting you waste fools from up to 12 meters away.

The Skirmisher is our Dex fighter, basically. They can dodge easier or deal extra damage to people slower than them, Disengage as a Swift Action, get free AoOs on people who miss them in melee, smack a dude and make him Flanked, Slowed, and unable to use Priority or Interrupt moves, Trip people while using Weapon Moves, add their Evasion to accuracy rolls, and make any of their Weapon Moves Priority, or upgrade them further if they already were. This is a fairly frontloaded class, since all but one Features only require Adept Acrobatics, but it's good for ninjas or other slippery assholes.

We arrive at our first Elementalist, the Swarmlord. At first, they must choose their path: The Arachnid's Embrace (the ATK route), or the Monarch's Embrace (the SPATK route). You gain the ability to shot web and climb on walls, as well as some Bug Moves and Abilities. There's a video gamey mechanic in Pheromone Markers, where your Bug Moves give people 1 Pheromone Stack, and your attacks have +2 Accuracy and +1 Crit Range per stack on them. Once a scene per foe, if someone has 3 or more stacks you can roll 1d6 and hit them with a mental status. Really, they had me at How To Shoot Web.

The Shadecaller is our Dark Elementalist, and get the ability Twisted Power, which lets them add half their ATK to their Special Moves and half their SPATK to their Physical Moves. They also get a Living Shadow, letting you use Dark moves from a square away from you... or if you're in total darkness, you can use it a whopping 6 meters away! You pick up a lot of Moves here, both Physical and Special, as well as the ability to snag people's shadows and make them unable to flee, or you just crit people really easily. The World of Darkness feature lets you die twice create a Burst 2 of Shifting Darkness, which moves around you and causes everyone without Darkvision to have a -3 to hit you, and it also counts as extending your shadow for Living Shadow. Plus you finally get Darkvision. Neat.

Next is the Herald of Pride, the Dragon Elementalist. In a bit of a twist, they require Command and Intimidate to enter - both social skills. You can use either in place of Combat to determine all your weapon shit, plus you pick up the Regal Challenge Ability and can make your Weapon Attacks Dragon-type. You also learn various Dragon Moves, which can be used through your weapon. If you get Injured or Critted, then your next attack against whoever did it to you cannot miss, period. Their capstone is... well, pathetic. You Bind 2 AP and get +2 vs Volatile Statuses and being Disarmed, Grappled, Pushed, or Tripped. When you see what some of these other classes get, this is even more laughable in comparison. Why can't I at least grow some dragon scales or something, what the hell?

Our Electric Elementalist is the Spark Master. They can Paralyze people who hit them or run really, really "fast". They gain the Magnetic capability and can use it to stick to "surfaces with significant metal content (ex: metal walls obviously, concrete with metal I-beams inside, etc). " You can even use your full Overland to walk on metal ceilings and refuse to be Pushed. You pick up some Electric Moves and your capstone gives you an Ability to absorb Electric attacks one way or another. The coolest feature here is Bottled Lightning, where you implant an Electric Move into a conductive item, and you can use a Swift Action to use the move and have it originate from that item. If someone touches it, you can do it as a Priority. Sadly, this lasts until the end of the fucking scene and you can only do it to up to 3 items at a time.

The Fairy Elementalist is the Magical Girl Glamour Weaver. Fairy moves, obviously, but they eventually get Magic Guard or Magic Bounce, letting them shit on people who try to Paralyze them or something. Fey Law allows you to inflict a -6 accuracy penalty to a foe's Status moves, all Combat Maneuvers, DB 10+ attacks, or attacks of a chosen Type. It doesn't say you can only do this to one dude at a time, and it only costs 1 AP and a Swift Action, so... huh. They get the Enchanting Transformation, where you literally go Sailor Moon, giving you +5 DR vs Dragon/Fighting/Dark/Bug attacks and giving all your Glamour Weaver moves additional effects. Lastly, we have Magical Burst, which can only be used during your Enchanting Transformation. You use a Glamour Weaver move (AKA Moonblast) as a Burst 3, Friendly, Exhaust, Smite attack, giving your allies 1 HP Tick or curing them of a Volatile status. You end your transformation and lose your next turn because of the Exhaust, AND you lose the AP instead of getting it back like normal. I have no idea why so many penalties were attached to this, but at least it fits my mental image of how a magical girl would end a fight.

The Fire Bringer... brings Fire. Yup. You get Fire moves, immunity to Burn and eventually Fire attacks, the Heater Capability, you burn people easier, and you have your own transformation in Blazing Inferno. You start Blazing, and when your attacks Burn you inflict 1 HP Tick of damage and -1 DEF CS, and if you hit with a Fire move at all, you can force a Burn, but expend the Blazing condition. I mean, I'm glad my capstone thematically lets me start shitting out fire everywhere, but this is almost as boring as the Herald of Pride! I can't even like, levitate or something?

The Wind Runner is the Flying Elementalist. These guys DO start with a Levitate speed, and they eventually get straight up flight! It costs them AP to sustain, but it's better than nothing. You also get Flying Moves (including Mirror Move!) and One With the Winds, where "your sense of touch is extended through this wind, and you can guide it by thought, using it to perceive the shape and texture of objects as long as the wind can reach, even through very small cracks and holes." It can't go further than 12 meters, but this is still something I could see some clever PCs playing around with.

Guess what the Apparition is. They use Occult Education or Intimidation to qualify for weapon things, AND their weapons always have Reach and can't be Reacted against, for whatever reason. Fucking sweet, okay! Ghost moves that can be used through your weapon, obviously, as well as either Pressure or Frighten, to debuff enemies. There's Silent Assassin, where you Bind 2 AP and your attacks are Ghost-type, and you also gain Dead Silent. On top of that, there's Shadow Form, where you Bind ANOTHER 2 AP and become "wan and obviously otherworldly". You straight up become Ghost-type and are immune to Curses, additionally gaining the Phasing capability. That's not even your capstone! That's Haunted Wounds, where when you hit someone with a Ghost attack, you can repeat the attack the next round as a Free Action, regardless of range! They resist it a step further, but that's still conceptually cool. This is probably the coolest class in the book, or maybe I just like ghosts too much. You certainly get some good capabilities out of this one.

The Druid is our Grass Elementalist. They must pick the Flower (SPATK), Fungal (SPDEF), or Wood Oaths (ATK). They get Naturewalk (Grassland and Forest) as well as immunity to Powder moves. They get a variety of Grass moves, ranging from Ingrain to Leech Seed and Solar Beam. Druid's Call allows them to make 6 meters of flowers, mushrooms, or saplings to grow around you, blocking line of sight to anyone without Naturewalk (Forest). Your Druid moves can also originate from this wall, but you can obviously only use this where there's soil, or not much obscuring the soil, like a sidewalk. The capstone is Overgrowth, where your Druid move inflicts Overgrowth. This makes them resist Grass moves one step less and they cannot recover HP at all... if they do, you get it instead. Attacks that Grass are weak to removes the Overgrowth, but that's it. Given what I've said about combat healing... meh? It's an effort, I guess.

The Earth Shaker is... straightforward. You mostly get Ground moves as well as Tremorsense and Naturewalk (Cave, Mountain, and Desert). You also pick up Arena Trap and Lightning Rod as abilities. Lastly, you can try and Trip people when you hit them with your Ground moves. Only one at a time, though. Because reasons. Yes, even if you hit a bunch of people with Earthquake, because you learn that. Sorry. You don't even get the ability to move dirt around or a Burrow speed, this class is fucking lame.

Now we have the Frost Touched. You know the pattern by now - Ice moves, Naturewalk (Tundra), immunity to Ice moves, being Frozen, and Hail, as well as the ability to freeze people 5% more often. The mildly interesting feature here is Frozen Domain, where you put a 6 meter wall of Frozen Domain and anyone passing through the square might be tripped. Unless they're flying. Or levitating. When inside Frozen Domain, you can treat yourself like you're in Hail. Fire attacks obviously destroy it, as do anything else that clears Hazards. The DC on the trip check could go as high as 16, but by that point that's really not very impressive. I can't even go Iceman on fools and make ice unless you pick certain moves that grant Freezer. C'mon, man.

The Normal Elementalist is called the Prism. They only get Special and Status moves, and weird ones at that. Flash, Swift, Tri-Attack, Weather Ball, Hyper Beam, and Morning Sun. They're also hard to hit because of the Illuminate ability and get Starlight or Sunglow to boost one of their Special stats. Additionally, they get the Illusionist capability too. Their capstone is Prismatic Alignment, where they spend 2 AP to crank up any of the aforementioned moves. My favorite is where Hyper Beam becomes Burst 2, Smite, or 10, Ranged Blast 3, Smite. That'll ruin someone's day.

Oh hey, it's that guy again.
The Miasmic is the Poison Elementalist. Yes, you do learn Toxic. You never become immune to Poison attacks, but you do resist them and are immune to the Poison condition. You also pick up that badass Acid Armor move I mentioned earlier, and your Miasmic Spray feature is similar to Prismatic Alignment, which is crazy when you combine it with Acid Armor, rendering you immune to Physical attacks and resistant to Special ones, removing the Slow you'd normally have from being a human puddle. Speaking of, there's the Flexible Form feature, where you don't gain Injuries from taking a bunch of damage and gain a bullshit +2 bonus to bend, squeeze, or otherwise contort your body. Because your bones can flex. Gnarly.

The Stone Warrior is slightly more interesting than the Earth Shaker, but not by much. There's Wide Guard and Stealth Rock in here, and you can pick up the Sturdy, Rock Head, or Sand Veil abilities. There's Stone Stance, where you bind 2 AP and get a bullshit bonus in response. Falling Boulder Stance gives you +5 damage, but you eat 5 damage when you attack. Moon Mountain Stance gives you -5 initiative, but +5 DR and immunity to Push & Pull effects. Roiling Earth Stance lets you use a Struggle Attack for free when you Intercept something. The capstone of this class lets you do 2 of these at once. This class makes Toph sad.

The Steelheart uses Athletics or Focus for their weapon qualifications and shave off 1 HP Tick when striking people who hit them with a Melee attack last round. You can make your moves Steel-type, as well as learning Bullet Punch, Metal Claw, Meteor Mash (oh, baby!), and King's Shield. You also get the very awesome Bulletproof ability, letting you laugh at ranged attacks, and the Reactive Armor feature lets you damage everyone in a Burst 1 when you get Injured or critted, gaining DR on top of that. They also get Call to Arms, which lets them bond with a weapon like an Arcanist can, and Unlimited Steel Works, where you can swap out Weapon Moves on your bonded weapon as you please. This one feels a bit phoned in, there isn't much original stuff here.

Finally, the Maelstrom, our Water Elementalist. You pick up Gilled, as well as +2 to your Swim speed. For some reason, when your Water attacks miss everyone you get 1 Temporary HP Tick? Huh. Hydro Jet lets you make your Melee water moves Pass moves, or your Ranged water moves Line 4. You can eventually absorb Water attacks or reset your target's CS with Water moves as well as remove their Coats. Oceanic Feeling lets you gain the other effect, if it would trigger, so it's not much of a choice, is it? You can also get water moves, obviously. However, NONE OF THE ONES YOU CAN GET GIVE YOU THE FOUNTAIN CAPABILITY! You can't even pretend to make water, you just swim in that shit, fucker!
Ah, fuck, now I'm upset. These classes would all be great if they were twice as long or just went to a higher power level faster. I get that they probably don't want you outright replacing the need for Pokemon, but if I start taking a class and I can eventually use fucking Rain Dance, then it's just stupid if I can't play around with a glass of water. Some of the classes are more interesting than others, even when they really didn't have to be, and I don't know why. Conceptually, this should've been an easy chapter to write some awesome stuff for. You have your fighting styles split into 4 distinct classes you can pump up, a class that's PURELY for shooting lasers, and 18 elementalists you can crib tons of media for inspiration from. I wonder what happened? I'd probably say my favorite classes from this book are the Rune Master and Apparition, because they both can actually do things out of combat without me assuming that they can, like how I swore the Maelstrom could spit out water and the Earth Shaker could move dirt around.

Oh, well. At least it's easy to see how these classes could be improved.

Next time: Chapter 4: Campaign Settings
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:Their examples for low fantasy include Stephen King novels (wut?)
If I had to guess, I would think they were most likely talking about the Dark Tower series, or possibly The Talisman. But most likely the Dark Tower series.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Shrapnel wrote:If I had to guess, I would think they were most likely talking about the Dark Tower series, or possibly The Talisman. But most likely the Dark Tower series.
Nope, they specifically mention It, The Shining, and Salem's Lot. Knowing what I know about the endings of these novels, I question labeling them Low Fantasy. I'll accept it because I don't really care much, but Salem's Lot ends with an entire town being taken over by vampires and the oWoD was just completely fucking bonkers, so... eh. I guess it fits according to their definition.

In other news, I took a look at the Pokemon Journeys playtest stuff, since it was updated last month. It looks like we're moving to Bear World-style "roll 2d6 and eat shit on a 6 or lower" action resolution, as well as a whole bunch of video gamey shit like Roles and whatnot. MTP is even further reinforced and the game is simplified in lazy and easy ways, remaining complex in others. Amazingly enough, there are less capabilities than before, and they are explicitly de-powered. Alas, the only thing on these Pokemon sheets are all combat related, and they're as long as regular character sheets! The direction they're going in is baffling to me. Is this what it was like for you guys before 4e came out?

Chapter 4: Campaign Settings

There are three two settings in this book. They planned on getting another setting out before 1.06 came out, but... it didn't. So they didn't. Naturally, these aren't complete settings because this whole chapter is 30 pages long. The high level shit is made, but you're still expected to fill in the blanks. I'm very curious as to how many people have actually played in these settings, because I've never seen anyone in the PTU community bring them up. Then again, most people are on fucking Discord now anyway, so I might just be sheltered.

I swear I won't go overboard on these two.

I seriously can't believe they aren't using much art in Pokemon Journeys. Even stuff like this can help set the tone for a section.

We start off with two pages of italicized prose. I never understood why this gets Frank's panties in a twist, it's not particularly hard to read. Maybe it's just me. It's a quick piece about a funeral/coronation where a new queen with red eyes asks her dukes and duchesses to reaffirm their oaths to the kingdom, because they're a bunch of bickering, power-grabbing assholes who need to be put in their place. Pokemon are not even alluded to here in any way except for a possible allusion to Arceus.

Six Duchies is your standard European medieval fantasy setting. The six duchies are: King's Watch, the capital; Farfield, the old place; Coalbank the mining place; Sailmourne, the water place; Faepeak, the mountain place; and Greensea, the forest place. Pokemon are commonplace and people have been catching them for centuries - they used to bind them to pieces of Faeglass by containing them within a runic circle and performing a ritual. A decade ago, Pokeballs were invented and most people use those now instead. There are two religions: Icon worship and the Path of One Thousand Arms.

Icons are basically human belief made manifest through stories and faith. They do not have priests, but Storytellers, who collect legends to sustain belief in the Icons. Their Icons have D&D-style spheres as well as favored Pokemon. I don't really care about these for the same reason you don't care about most D&D gods. To their credit, they all have generic names like "The Grinning Fisherman" and "The Singer of Storms". My favorite is the Plowman, who isn't worshiped much, but just shows up to a village to work the farms there. Just being around him make people work faster, longer, and harder - and get better results. He usually has a pet Tauros, which he sometimes leaves behind. Tauros descended from this divine Tauros are very valuable.

The Path of One Thousand Arms is an organized religion founded by a farmer named Mercedes. She found a blue flute in her fields one day, and gave it a toot for her family. They all started having weird dreams where Arceus just... watched them. Then they started finding Type Plates in their fields, too. When they dug up all 16, Arceus spoke to Mercedes and she became the First Arm of the Path of One Thousand. The plates are super fucking magic and people flocked to her because of this. They have Knight-Templars who specialize in singular types. Funnily enough, they don't give a flying fuck about the Normal and Fairy types because those don't have Plates. They see Normal as the glue that holds the universe together and the Fairies as ayy lmaos.

Legendary Pokemon are called Titans in this setting. Back in the day people would try and raise armies to go fight them because they would do all sorts of magic shit to their environment, but everyone ate shit and died horribly. There are some cool examples of this and it's fully something the GM has to wrench out his cavernous asshole. In case you couldn't guess, the Six Duchies are a feudal society.

I shouldn't throw stones in glass houses, but fuck me this map is boring.

The writeup of the individual duchies is 3 pages long. The above image takes up half a page. They mention who rules the place and some notable locations. Hilariously enough, these rulers have NO INFORMATION LISTED besides their fucking names. Not even an idea of who they are. I'll repost what I consider to be the most interesting duchy:
Faepeak
Ruled by: Archduchess Serena
Patron Icon: Singer of Storms
This duchy dwells in the direct shadow of the Fairymont. The people here are reserved and do not take to outsiders very well. Faepeak is one of the more dangerous duchies; in the shadow of the mountain, infants and children sometimes vanish from their homes, replaced with strange creatures; men and women vanish for years and return unchanged, unaware of the passage of time, while some return after only a single night, but aged into elders. This duchy is also home to unique Pokémon found nowhere else in the kingdom. This duchy is where the crystalline stone called Faeglass was first discovered, and its mines remain the only mines to produce it. Since the invention of Pokéballs and the increasing use of Varil ore, the demand for Faeglass has decreased.

Notable locations:
• The ducal keep, Stonheart; built into the Fairymont itself, the keep’s walls are constructed from stone said to be mined from the heart of the Fairymont. Though it has never been sieged properly, any attacks made against the ducal keep have always failed quickly. Many who visit claim that Stoneheart Keep is a maze of corridors that go deeper than they should. Some visitors even claim to have heard voices from the walls and see faces in the stone. Conversely, no native has ever experienced trouble navigating.
• No one is certain how the properties of the crystals within the Faeglass mines were first discovered, but Faeglass has always been vital to the production of Poké Balls. Locals however, have a number of superstitions surrounding Faeglass; most disturbingly, they claim that any child who looks into a crystal will lose their soul. While these legends remain unsubstantiated, a larger percentage of people do go missing from the mines than from anywhere else in the duchy.
This is... almost serviceable. I can read this and get some adventure ideas as well as a grasp of the kind of characters that would come here, but as soon as you start asking questions the book refuses to answer you. I totally get that writing a setting is hard, especially for places that PCs haven't actually gone to yet... but if you're going to include this information, would it hurt to do a full page writeup of each area?

So how do you build a campaign in this? The answer is... talk to your group about what kind of game they want to play in. :argh: We live in the future now, is this not just assumed by this point?

This ends with two and a half pages of campaign hooks.
  • Ruins in the Woods takes place in Greensea. There's a ruin in the woods with a big tower that nobody can get into - any of the villagers who went into the buildings of the ruins eventually started speaking a language nobody could understand... except the other villagers. This spread throughout the whole village. The College of Three has assigned your party to investigate. They don't care about the villagers, though - just the knowledge contained within the ruins. When you get to town, you can't understand what anyone's saying and there's a giant weird rock in the middle of the village. A few days into your adventure, you find out the "illness" is spreading past Greensea and some people aren't waking up, or wake up as crazy berserkers. Sounds solid enough, and they even offer some answers - maybe the legendaries that were once worshiped there got mad when they woke up and everyone who cared about them are dead. Or maybe a Spritomb is in the big weird rock and it's the source of the problem. Eh, I'd play it.
  • Shards from the Heavens about the Plates of Arceus. They were lost and people are pretty sure they were shattered into a thousand pieces like the Shikon Jewel. They've collected a few of these shards, but all across the Duches, strange starfalls have resulted in the environment and Pokemon getting really fucked up. Some of these Pokemon are way stronger than others - because they have a shard or two inside them. It also looks like someone besides the Path of the One Thousand is collecting them. Either the Path or the College will pay you cash money to retrieve any shards you can find. I can dig this premise as well as their session ideas, but it's not much more than that - a premise.
Overall, I wouldn't mind playing in this setting. Problem is that it has so much missing that it makes Greyhawk circa 1975 look more thought out. It seems like less of a cohesive campaign setting and more like the kind of notes someone makes before Session 1, at which point they just make it up as they go along. I get it, because that's how I've been making my setting, but the Six Duchies just feel kind of unfinished. I have the feeling that Visiwa will be the same.

Next time: Visiwa: The Eastern Isles
Last edited by The Adventurer's Almanac on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I guess if you want to be pedantic you can say they're fantasy because they feature supernatural elements, but I'm gonna have to agree. Seriously, one of the WoD nerds is gonna have to fill me in on how the fuck any of that shit is low fantasy. The further from Vampire you get, the crazier shit becomes.
Also, this setting - the Six Duchies, that is - seems to have Pokemon as mostly an after-thought. Is it just me?
Um, yeahhhh... they say people have been doing it for centuries, and there are big badass boss Pokemon in the world to fight, but it doesn't seem to affect society very much? They aren't even mentioned in the society section. Granted, there's the Arceus religion which is, to me, the most interesting thing about the setting, but they lost me when they started making gods that weren't Pokemon. Giving them favored Pokemon is a fucking copout. Aside from those and the Pokemon in the campaign hooks, that's it. There's also some short paragraphs for encounter ideas at the end and only half of those have anything to do with Pokemon!

How odd. At first glance my setting looks similar, but at least the humans there have the excuse that Pokemon caused the fucking apocalypse and collapse of civilization so it makes sense that they don't want much to do with them. And some people worship them anyway. People build towns in ways to keep them safe from Pokemon nearby. Industrial centers use them as slave labor. They're still integral to the setting, just... in the other direction. And it lets the players feel good when they get people to warm up to Pokemon like they're regularly depicted. It's bizarre.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Visiwa: The Eastern Isles

Our prose begins with a place called the Holy City of... Empathica. :P This was the best city ever and learned all sorts of shit, then shit happened and it disappeared. The whole island it was on sank into the ocean and "the Great Mother" led the survivors to Visiwa. Once they got there, she got tired and went to sleep, so people built a temple around her, for her protection. Then a labyrinth. Then they put her in the labyrinth. While she's been gone, people started worshipping other shit. Oh, no! There's a second entry written by a leader from the Explorer's Guild who showed up to colonize one of the islands, only to have his crew get murdered by 'Wildlings' and Pokemon. Also... they mention Europe AND the Americas. God have mercy on us.

Visiwa is apparently the Caribbean, being south of Unova and northwest of... Mexinova. People there are spiritual and have magic powers and shit. They domesticate Pokemon, but fear and respect wild ones (how is this any different from normal...?). The navy of Kalos is also here setting up camp, importing their own Pokemon like any good colonizer does. The tribes and the Kalosians sort of get along, but not too well. Also, pirates.

The Pokemon native to Visiwa are even more hostile than normal and the landscape just kind of... changes around. Oddly enough, people rarely encounter the same Pokemon species twice and their appearances can be predicted. Then again, if my kid started having dreams about ghosts, I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into some fucking ghosts on my next hunting trip. People believe the Great Mother was the one who created Pokemon... because they watched her do it. The shamans figured that Mew was taking people's collective dreams and making Pokemon out of them, but while she was asleep, she had less control over this power and just shits out Pokemon that people have nightmares about. For some reason, the island is also in a state of flux, but when people travel it with the expectation that the more people literally watching the land, the less it would be able to change. Weirdly enough, this worked and led to people slowly expanding across the island in little villages, carefully mapping and detailing the routes between them.

Kalos is literally France. They had a revolution 30 years ago, they're from Europe, they want your fucking resources and they will travel across the world to kill you and get them. They're not terrible, though - when they showed up and had difficulties with the island just like the natives did, they also noticed that lots of them were living in kind of shitty conditions and started trading with them. The Kalosians get shit to help them deal with all this supernatural mumbo jumbo, and the natives get medicine and shit. The excuse for this is that in Kalos, people with Aura or psychic powers or whatever just get executed on the spot... or conscripted to work for the church.

So, the tribes. Tribes have a Chief, who usually has supernatural powers because that helps not die in this world. Under them, you have your spiritual leaders - Rune Masters, Druids, Shamans, whatever. One of these people almost always accompany people leaving the village, lest they get lost in the primordial wilderness and never return. Then you've got everyone else, like warriors, beastmasters, and crafters. I like their Rune Masters - they literally create Unown from human memories as a form of record-keeping. I'm not sure how you read an Unown, but it's a good start.

The Kalosians are split into three groups: The first, led by Admiral Sharp, is the navy. The second group consists of skilled civilians who have their own elected officials. The third group are members of the Explorer's Guild, and get $$$ from both other groups to do their thing.

TMs are balls-out psychedelic experiences made out of a substance called "Tech-Mojo". It's a mix of science and magic (no shit) and sends your Pokemon to the Shadow Realm Dream World to go on a spirit quest and learn a new move. Even though it does nothing for humans, people try to get high on it anyway.
(Cut’s a top seller!)
People don't carry more than 6 Pokemon because both sides agree that 6 is the magic number and it's hard to take care of more than that at a time. If you wanted to carry more, you'd need to get the approval of the local caretakers... who are basically your Pokemon box. No Pokeballs outside of Apricorn balls exist, and those are usually made by villagers. The only Pokemon Center in the entire setting is under the purview of the Kalosian navy, and can still miraculously heal you despite explicitly using 1800's era technology. You can still get healed by medicine men and shit.

Hahaha, you didn't expect any rules for something this cool, did you?

The rarest Pokemon in Visiwa are Ice and Dragon-types. They're in the mountains or get imported. Or show up in the tundras that, y'know, literally spawn from nothing. Whatever. Type-shifted or otherwise unusual Pokemon tend to become pack leaders or alpha predators, posing the most danger to humans. There's also those totally busted Demesnes I mentioned earlier, though they're called Fiends here.

I will absolutely throw stones in this glass house and call this a shitty map. This map is so boring it makes me depressed.
  • 1 - The Temple of the Great Mother. The location where the Empathicans (how the fuck can you type this and 'ship' it out???) landed and began expanding throughout Visiwa. You don't care about the temple, you care about The Labyrinth, which is a megadungeon that nobody's gone through and is full of Fiends. People who go beyond the first few levels, which are curated by warriors, rarely return.
    2 - Darkfeather Village. Associated Types: Ghost, Bug, Poison. Deity: The Fate Spinner (A Ghost/Bug Galvantula).
    It's next to a big forest (apparently) full of bugs and the people in the village grew closer to them, to the point where most girls have Bug Connections and most boys have Poison Connections. They are a matriarchal society led by Swarmlords and elect a "Queen Bee", named after their first Queen who befriended The Fate Spinner and introduced ancestor worship. They operate on a caste system where your only way out is to develop magic powers, or marry a woman of higher status than you. There's Bugs in the fields, Poison-types get raised by warriors, and Ghosts are kept by magic users. If you couldn't guess, this is the Ninja village. The Fate Spinner is a huge fucking spider that finds humans fascinating, creating Ghost Pokemon based on the memories of villagers who passed on. People really want this. The Fate Spinner just chills in town and is rather sociable, to the point of thinking Admiral Sharp's got his heart in the right place, allowing Darkfeather warriors to actually be in parties with other PCs. Cool place.
    3 - Steelwing Village. Associated Types: Fire, Rock, Ground. Deity: The Mountain Breaker (A Fire/Ground Torkoal).
    The mountains here are so treacherous and shifting that most travelers elect to go through the Steelwings mines, which are well-lit and patrolled by guards. Also, hot springs. Gotta have hot springs somewhere in your setting. The weather is actually temperate, too. This is a mining village, using Rock and Ground-types to get minerals and Fire-types to refine them. The Mountain Breaker likes art and helps train new apprentices, appraises goods, and helps with excavation. To choose their chief, they have an annual contest where contestants are given a list of materials and they have to go gather it themselves and making something out of it. Competition here is fierce and life for non-craftsmen or miners is just fucking boring and shitty, to the point where young apprentices are sent away from the village to get them to cool off and drive down competition.
    4 - Snowfeather Village. Associated Types: Ice, Dragon, Dark. Deity: The Drake Hunter (Ice/Dark Beartic).
    VIKINGS! Fuck you, it snows year-round here and the natives know it doesn't make sense! Also, the natives here aren't Empathicans - they're literally fucking ex-slave Norsemen who were out looking for Vinland. I'm not sure how brown the Empathicans (god) are, but it's mentioned that the Nords are more fair of skin and hair. They also brought Pokemon with them - Dragon Pokemon! All of this led to some friction at first, but they grew to be accepted by the other communities of Visiwa. The Drake Hunter is a big fucking black bear that showed up when a Norseman and Darkfeather tribesman were fighting, and it... told them to settle their differences with words? Then gave each a pack of Weaviles to serve as hunting animals? Then just left to go to the other villages to beseech on the Norsemen's behalf? The fuck? He lives in the woods near the village and teaches those who find him "an ancient combat style from their original home that closely models the ruthlessness of a Weavile, and the namesake of a Beartic." They're Berserkers. WTF???
    5 - Bravescar Village. Associated Types: Electric, Flying, Normal. Deity: The Storm Seer (Electric/Flying Xatu).
    Resting atop a plateau on Kingler Isle (no, the other islands are not named), it's hot and dry and basically a savannah. There aren't many ways up, so people rely on Flying pokemon to travel here. The plains are pleasant enough and full of Flying-types, especially Braviaries, which the Bravescars commonly raise. The Storm Seer is a yellow Xatu with feather patterns that depict storms and thunder. It stands on a stone pillar in the middle of the village all day, staring at the sun and moon. It tells people the future, but usually inconsequential stuff, like your wife is going to burn dinner tonight. It makes a point of regular weather updates, which the farmers love, as well as total fucking calamity updates, which PCs love. The Storm Seer doesn't really give a fuck about you, but will accept any gifts you bring it. Then say "Thanks" and go back to staring into the fucking sun. The Braves act as mail carries for the region, zooming around on their mounts and exploring the world. This reminds me of how much I love Xatu.
    6 - Ivyhollow. Associated Types: Grass, Fairy, Steel. Deity: Princess Diana (Diancie).
    This is the Kalosian base of operations, and is one of the most comfortable settlements on the island. It's also surrounded by swamplands and geothermal hotspots, so few people actually want to leave without a guard. Here we have the Explorer's Guild, the Vai University, The Armory, The Moonstone Inn, The Singing Feebas (a ship/bar), and the Trader's Market. Admiral Sharp is nominally in charge, but he leaves the administrative work to... Princess Diana. Given that the real Diana was fucking British, I cannot excuse this punny name. She's the Admiral's friend and is generally cheery when she doles out quests. Every member of the navy is issued a Mawile upon graduation, and they are known as... the Mawile Marines. They have strong cavalry which mostly consist of Gogoats.
    7 - Veilbeak Village. Associated Types: Fighting, Psychic, Water. Deity: The Sea Guardian (Water/Psychic Milotic).
    Surrounded by swamps and jungle, most of this village is built on stilts, or just have people living in fucking boats. I was born in the part of Louisiana where people actually live like this, so this speaks to me deeply. This village produces sailors and warriors, and... that's about it. The waters are so dangerous that the sailors and warriors usually accompany one another. The Sea Guardian taught people the secrets of Aura and Psionics, even making some people Water Elementalists. She usually floats along with ships as they travel the region, to protect them. Children are trained from a young age to utilize their Elemental powers, or at least how to beat ass. Medichams are incredibly popular here. They don't like Ivyhollow because they believe they're butting in on the trade market... and their Fairy pokemon will generally kick their Fighting pokemon's asses. They're also, like, right fucking there, man! The Admiral has tried to reassure the Veilbeak Tribe... to limited success.
I've gotta say, I like these locales a lot more than the Six Duchies, even if they're more gonzo. I find including real-world countries extremely questionable, though. I would much rather play a viking analogue than a literal Pokemon viking... but maybe that's just me.

Actually Playing This Shit
This section's a whopping two pages and... that's it. All trainers need to know is that supernatural people are common among Wildlings, but rare among Kalosians. The most obvious setup is that the PCs are an Explorer Team working out of Ivyhollow, of whatever mix of ethnicities they'd like. Alternately, you can go backwards and play as the survivors fleeing Empathica who first arrived to the island, or as the Norsemen trying to find a new home amongst wary tribes... or just be some fucking pirates.

We have two plot hooks for lazy or rushed GMs:
  • The Labyrinth of the Great Mother is a dungeon crawl. The Wildlings never asked questions about the Labyrinth (why?), but the Kalosians think it's really fucking weird that the land literally built itself a deathtrap megadungeon and that superpowered Pokemon keep trying to escape it. Recently, even more monsters have started popping up, so the PCs are tasked with going into the Labyrinth to find out why.
    Ultimately, the truth of what happened here is in your hands.
    :disgusted:
    I don't consider three "maybe" answers equal to one solid, well thought out answer. Their ideas are that it's caused by whatever made Empathica fall, or a malevolent Legendary is trying to keep people from waking Mew, or Mew is just having a bad dream. Naturally, it doesn't detail what's in the Labyrinth at all. Gygax would be ashamed.
  • Scourge of the Crimson Corsairs is about a guy named Grant the Red becoming King of the Pirates and uniting a bunch of gangs into a cohesive force. Grant is headed for Visiwa with the intent of turning the place into a pirate haven and enslaving their gods. Some people say he wants to usurp Mew, some say he has the support of "dark lords", and some say he IS a dark lord. Pirate zombies, anyone? In play, the pirates will completely overtake a place (probably the Temple) and set up a base there. Each crew has a unique theme (fuck you, make your own) and might be open to backstabbing the cap'n. Other than that... figure the rest out. I find this premise more interesting, but fuck me they didn't include much for the GM.
  • Assorted Ideas the Devs Probably Never Used is a gaggle of session hooks. The Firefoot Tribe, a group of pygmy cannibals (fuck yeah!) attacked Ivyhollow and stole people, and the Storm Seer claims they have found their own deity! There's a festival in Snowfeather with a hunting contest where the prize is either a Dragon or Sneasel egg for whoever catches the strongest Pokemon. While sailing around, they come across a ghost ship. When in Bravescar, the Storm Seer freaks out because a kraken (which Pokemon is this??) will attack soon and only the PCs can stop it! There are merfolk and they live in sunken Empathican ruins! The players forgot about Princess Diana's birthday and she won't give them any quests until they apologize by singing, dancing, and treating her to her favorite desserts!
And then the book just... ends. That was rather unceremonious. There's no picture, no references, or even a 'what's coming next' section. The book just fucking stops. If I was cheeky, I'd say the review would, too... but that's too flippant.

Game of Throhs, Summarized

If I had to sum up this book, it would be "wasted potential". It's chock full of cool ideas like alchemy, humans with elemental powers, weirdo metaphysics, and about 25-33% of the setting stuff. The problem is that it'll bring these things up and then not really follow through at all. Alchemy is basically an excuse for players to get OP gear from their DM, the elementalists range from "neat" to "do I even really have superpowers?", and nothing in either setting is explored in any detail. This could've been a book that included all sorts of awesome magic rituals and equipment and expanded combat options. As it is, this is still my favorite PTU book, but mostly for the ideas it has and not how they're executed. Hilariously enough, the consensus is that these are the best classes in the game because they give you more narrative agency than the base classes, but very few elementalists actually gain the ability to do anything cool outside of combat. The Firestarter can't even actually make fucking fire and apparently he's OP. And they're restricting this sort of thing even more in Pokemon Journeys! This design philosophy is fascinating to me in how unfun it is. My design ethos leans more towards "LET PEOPLE DO COOL SHIT, DAMMIT!" over balance or preserving the GM's precious story. To me this book shits itself halfway to the bathroom, then changes clothes and tries to pretend they don't reek of shit.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Huh.

Scrolling through the reviews above fairly quickly - is all that art from the books themselves, or are you pulling it from the internet for illustration purposes? Because that's great production values, if it's all art from the book.

More grist for the mill:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ki ... ttling-rpg

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ge ... -1-mutagen
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

If it was not explicitly mentioned as being from elsewhere, then yeah, it's from the books. The art is great. It's also all fanart that they didn't get permission to use. Personally, that's not something I care about since a lot of the images are sourced, but some people really get their panties in a twist about it. The way I see it, it's a fangame you can't sell for legal reasons, so why not use fanart as long as it's properly sourced? You'd have to be a fool to commission any art for your Pokemon book outside of the cover.

That being said, I heard about Pokerole, and that book has PHENOMENAL production values, and apparently tons of art drawn by fans just for the game. That's probably the ideal, but you can't really do that when you're starting out.

Also, HOLY SHIT THERE'S FINALLY A FUCKING GENEFORGE 1 REMAKE COMING OUT? HOLY FUCKING BALLS THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST FORMATIVE COMPUTER RPGS I EVER PLAYED AS A KID! My balls are quivering in anticipation. I will be backing the shit out of that, and I don't back anything. My day has been fucking made.

EDIT: That Kindred Fates thing actually looks like the kind of Pokemon game I've been wanting since I was a kid. Double whammy! :mrgreen:
Last edited by The Adventurer's Almanac on Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.