Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

FrankTrollman wrote:On the TV side... gosh even the stuff I liked like Luke Cage has pacing problems so severe that I want to chew my leg off to escape.

-Username17

Yeah, I'm not a MCU completionist so Luke Cage season 1 is when I punched out on the TV universe. It was a television heartbreaker, really, because there was some inspired cinematography and tchotchke in there but it failed to keep me hooked because the pacing exacerbated the following problems and giant fucking spoilers:

1. Most of the empathy I had for Luke himself ended up being imported in from Jessica Jones rather than built by or enhanced by the series proper. Aside from the barbershop Luke doesn't really seem like he has normal human interactions. That shtick works for Batman because Batman stories rarely involve wanting to give up or refuse the cape for literal hours of run time and at the end of the day you can count on him to punch the Joker in the mouth. The women in the series had to do a lot of the moral heavy lifting for Luke and since it's not their show we're stuck waiting for him to shit or get off the pot. Also, I grew up with a home life that we will mercifully summarize as being "not great" and I binge watched Jessica Jones to catch up for Cage's release. When you have that sort of priming the scenes where Luke basically feels like he's negging Misty or just plain expressing low key but wholly unwarranted prickliness towards her feels super weird. Would I characterize him as an abuser? Not really, no, and Misty sure seems like she can take care of herself. But Luke came off like a fuckboy
and I doubt that is what they were going for.

Admittedly, I may also be even further biased by my suspicion that Simone Missick in a shelf bra and a little blue dress could convince me to try to fight crime in under 5 minutes.

2. Pacing the series as a slow burn that swaps out primary villains halfway through really made me feel like the writers had outsmarted themselves. Alfre Woodard can act and her character is fine, so I ain't mad at her. And I think Mahershala Ali's narrow eyed intensity was perfect for Cottonmouth, a man who is never satisfied with his lot in life. But again, this is a long ass series with long ass episodes, so I question if we really needed Cottonmouth around for so long if Mariah was just going to beat his ass with a stanchion.

3. Diamondback. The first and only time in my life that I've felt disappointed by a big black dude who introduced himself by yelling "Can you dig it?"
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Yeah, I only watched the Marvel shows because I liked the MCU, and there was a bit of sunk cost fallacy going on, too, if I'm being honest.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

rasmuswagner wrote:Swamp Thing over on HBO has me hooked in episode one. The scene in the lab where they think they are doing science and then there's a monster was genuinely scary to me, and that does not happen often.
I have been ruminating over what made the scene so compelling.
*Good build-up and cinematography.
*Engaging characters. Neither of the characters involved are the Exposition Idiot or the Everyman.
*The monster isn't your dad on Halloween but in CGI drag. It doesn't fuck around with intimidating noises or slowly shambling about.
*The characters are smart, resourceful, and still only barely make it out alive. Unlike 99,9% of horror protagonists, they act like I fantasize that I would act in the same situation. [/list]
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I just watched the new THE GRAND TOUR: SEAMEN Special on Amazon Prime.
And yes, it was pretty damn good.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I just watched both of the new It movies. I enjoyed them.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

Watched Ready or Not and it was great.

Pretty sure the movie is a metaphor for classism.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Ultraviolet, the Polish crime show available on Netflix, was even better during season 2. If you don't mind subtitles, it's a good watch. Looking forward to season 3.
Last edited by Maj on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I super-loved Messiah on Netflix. Honestly, I can't put why into words, but I thought the series was engrossing and well done. I really hope this is one show where they have the story plotted out for its full run because I can see it going horribly wrong very easily if they do the make-it-till-it-fails thing.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I'm on the last episode of the first Bubblegum Crisis series. It's a pretty good show, especially for its age.

But when someone zoomed in on a picture, they showed the zoomed-in image at a lower resolution, and didn't fix it by enhancing (because that isn't a thing). They actually injected realism in a way that makes sense.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

The last episode of The Witcher is easily one of the best mid-level mage fights in fantasy. The show itself barely kept me on, and still barely keeps me on, but that episode was the tits. After several forgettable episodes it came out swinging with great effects, solid twists, and just bonkers mage action. The only dumb part was captain "my magic is SWORDS!" who did fuck all, but whatever. Shoulda sent the neck snapping mage to kill the big bad.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:The only dumb part was captain "my magic is SWORDS!" who did fuck all, but whatever. Shoulda sent the neck snapping mage to kill the big bad.
Haha yeah that mage was terrible - instead of being a competent swordfighter or, maybe even, carrying more than 1 sword...or using his magic directly against his opponent...

Whatever happened to the assassin mage with the crazy pet thing? I guess he wasn't available to hire by either side...
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

phlapjackage wrote:
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:The only dumb part was captain "my magic is SWORDS!" who did fuck all, but whatever. Shoulda sent the neck snapping mage to kill the big bad.
Haha yeah that mage was terrible - instead of being a competent swordfighter or, maybe even, carrying more than 1 sword...or using his magic directly against his opponent...

Whatever happened to the assassin mage with the crazy pet thing? I guess he wasn't available to hire by either side...
That was possibly the funniest scene of the show. They tried to make it dramatic, but the guy just looked like a chump. He didn't even conjure that many swords! Meanwhile there's people making poison clouds and doing mind control. But conjuring up less than a half dozen regular swords is exhausting.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:
phlapjackage wrote:

That was possibly the funniest scene of the show. They tried to make it dramatic, but the guy just looked like a chump. He didn't even conjure that many swords! Meanwhile there's people making poison clouds and doing mind control. But conjuring up less than a half dozen regular swords is exhausting.
He was literally just teleporting the same sword back to his sheate.

For fucks sake, at least if you can teleport swords teleport it to your HAND.

Even if you can't teleport it inside a guys chest, just do a lunge and then when he goes to parry teleport your sword to your other hand and stab him!

That guy was literally a huge fucking comic relief fight scene waiting to happen he's so fucking bad at magic.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Kaelik wrote:
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:
phlapjackage wrote: Haha yeah that mage was terrible - instead of being a competent swordfighter or, maybe even, carrying more than 1 sword...or using his magic directly against his opponent...

He was literally just teleporting the same sword back to his sheate.

For fucks sake, at least if you can teleport swords teleport it to your HAND.

Even if you can't teleport it inside a guys chest, just do a lunge and then when he goes to parry teleport your sword to your other hand and stab him!

That guy was literally a huge fucking comic relief fight scene waiting to happen he's so fucking bad at magic.
HE WASN'T EVEN MAKING NEW SWORDS!? Fuck that is incredible. Imagine being a wizard and deciding that is going to be your trick.

Neck snapping?

Poison mushrooms?

Mind control?

Fuck that, it's sword teleportation (into a sheath) time.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sandmann wrote:

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

If you're a sword wizard and you can't make your magical swords float around you, what the fuck are you doing with your life? Even cheap D&D bad guys can do that.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Teleport swords into your hand? Conjure swords into people!
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:If you're a sword wizard and you can't make your magical swords float around you, what the fuck are you doing with your life? Even cheap D&D bad guys can do that.
"Cheap"? "a II7th level human vampire"
Last edited by Iduno on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

He's a Fighter, it's fine.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Even though the protagonist annoys me. Kipo and the Age or Wonderbeasts on Netflix is pretty great. Every time I think “meh this is ok I guess” it has a minute or two of awesome. It’s new enough that I don’t wanna do any spoilers.

I will offer this: “mute” is slang for mutant. Not a beast that cannot talk. It took me 3 episodes to figure this out. My wife needed 4 to realize it.
Last edited by erik on Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

So I watched 1917 with my daughter. The promotional materials make a pretty big deal about the fact the movie is all shot with a focus on the protagonist(s) - there are no aerial shots or wide panoramic views - and it really works well for this movie. The action and stakes are always very personal, even when major action is everywhere else.

There were some surreal(ish) elements that reminded me of Heart of Darkness. The movie was well done, accurate, and appeared respectful of the soldiers that served, but I'd argue that it has more anti-war sentiment than we usually see. People thought of WWI as 'the war to end all wars', and I think you can get a sense of why - you'd have to be crazy to do that all again. It was brutal in an entirely appropriate way.

Good film.
-This space intentionally left blank
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I just watched the season finale of The Good Place. I don't think a comedy has made me cry that emotionally that hard. The show was amazing, and it's kinda what the world needs... A story about people trying to be better, and who end up imperfectly good. I love it.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

Maj wrote:I just watched the season finale of The Good Place. I don't think a comedy has made me cry that emotionally that hard. The show was amazing, and it's kinda what the world needs... A story about people trying to be better, and who end up imperfectly good. I love it.
Isn't that the show where they turned "No Exit" into a sitcom?
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Hiram McDaniels wrote:
Maj wrote:I just watched the season finale of The Good Place. I don't think a comedy has made me cry that emotionally that hard. The show was amazing, and it's kinda what the world needs... A story about people trying to be better, and who end up imperfectly good. I love it.
Isn't that the show where they turned "No Exit" into a sitcom?
Sort of. Not really. But I see how that comparison could be made.