It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

Iduno wrote:Last night, while she was wandering around outside staring at me
Wait, what the fuck? Does this woman actually prowl outside your unit?
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Mord wrote:
Iduno wrote:Last night, while she was wandering around outside staring at me
Wait, what the fuck? Does this woman actually prowl outside your unit?
I saw it once. There might be a good reason for her being there. I'm not sure what would possess a person to be just hanging around, then stare at the people who live there like they're the ones who don't belong there.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Iduno wrote: I do need cookies/similar, though. I legit don't know where a person would go for compliments, though.
You are absolutely brilliant. If you're 1% as good looking as you are smart, you're far more handsome than any of the people in your apartment complex, too.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Today is the first day in recent memory that I'm not in pain. It's a weird feeling, but obviously an improvement. Also, my allergies have improved to the point that I can breathe through my nose.

deaddmwalking wrote:
Iduno wrote: I do need cookies/similar, though. I legit don't know where a person would go for compliments, though.
You are absolutely brilliant. If you're 1% as good looking as you are smart, you're far more handsome than any of the people in your apartment complex, too.
It looks like I never did thank you here. Thank you.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Yay! That's great!
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

So in the news of addressing people in the manner they desire to be addressed...

My mom's name is Charlee. Pronounced Charlie. She joined a women's book club because she likes to read and she wants to get out and talk to more people.

So her first day of book club, she introduced herself. And apparently a lot of the ladies there couldn't handle that she's a woman named Charlee and finally decided that they were going to call her Charlene instead.

:disgusted:
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

I hope she didn't put up with that.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Over a year ago, we left the states and moved to rural Ontario, in a First Nations community. My wife teaches the grade 1-4 class with 14 students. starting this year, I’ve been her full-time TA. It’s been something to get used to, but my wife is solid on class management. I’ve largely gotten into the swing of things.

We just found out an hour ago the grade 5-8 teacher is abruptly leaving, effective immediately. This means my wife’s class is absorbing all eleven of the grade 5s and 6s. As it was, we were frequently splitting the class into 2-4 groups, hopping between them. This is going to be fucking nuts.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Best of luck to you! I know I don't have the patience to handle that.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I love Halloween. It's a great, stupid holiday. I wish I still got into it heavily. Anyway, I remembered a story from years ago when I had a great Halloween.
I was still living with my parents, and I got a full-body wolfman costume, with some real-looking hair for the body, and very little plastic or rubber. Luckily, Halloween came in late Fall/early Winter that year, so the costume wasn't too hot. I got a lawn chair, set it next to the sidewalk, and layed limply in the chair so I looked like a stuffed mannequin. I was far enough away from the lights that any movements I made would be missed. As kids approached, I got to listen to them, daring each other to go up and poke me, or teasing each other of being scared. I don't think any of them ever got up the courage to actually touch me. The younger kids always had parents with them, so I stayed still and quiet, but the older kids were fun.

Like I said, I got to hear them, and pick out which kids were doing the teasing. They had to pass me to get to the house and get candy, which means they had their backs to me. I would get up slowly after they had passed, while they were distracted, and tap one of them on the shoulder. On any night, someone sneaking up behind you would be weird, especially someone who didn't look human. But Halloween is a magical night, where imagination runs free. On Halloween, it wasn't a guy in a suit who was behind them, I was, for a few seconds, a real monster.

Seeing the kids first terrified, then realizing it was a prank was great. They were all smiling leaving, we told each other happy Halloween, and parted.

Except for one. It was dark enough out that I wasn't sure how old he was as he was approaching. I got my dad's attention, and asked what to do. He told me the kid was alone, so it was probably fine. While I was sneaking up behind him, I got a go ahead sign, and terrified that child. He didn't finish getting candy before running away down the block. It was bad for him, and I felt bad.

About half hour to an hour later, I see a similar-looking kid with his mother. I got my dad's attention again, and asked him if it was the same kid. I sat completely still in my chair as they approached the house. I could hear her telling him that monsters aren't real, and that I was just a doll. To this day, I still don't know what possessed me to do it, I think I just wanted to explain what happened. And also to this day, I haven't heard anyone scream louder or a child laugh harder. "See mom, I told you monsters are real." I hope that child grew up still believing that monsters exist, and that they are hilarious.
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Great story, Iduno - what did you actually do when the mother in question got close? I'm obviously filling in the blanks in my head, but would love to know :).

Sounds like a great halloween, either way :).
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I just walked up behind her, planning on explaining what happened (I think. It's been 15-20 years). She must have heard me or something, and turned around.
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

:D. Suddenly, wolfman :D.

We approve!
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's,
And his hair was perfect.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Work yesterday was stressful, and I missed lunch. When I got home, I found out that I'd put most of the groceries away correctly, but left the pork sitting out for ~24 hours. I head out to pick up a quick supper and hit the ATM so I have more choices for convenient food in the future. Traffic was awful, and the trip (which was a failure, because they did a bad job replacing the ATM) took 1.5 hours. I was at this point stressed, exhausted, and didn't care about anything other than getting some food. The lady's voice at the drive-thru was so kind that when she wished me a wonderful day, for a brief moment, it actually was.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Today, in Hamburg, the farmers demonstrated.
With several hundred to thousand Tractors blocking major roads and the such on their ways in and out of the city proper.
Last time they even managed to stop the fucking subways from working because they drove their heavy ass machinery over decades old tunnels which did not like that. one. bit.
I usually need about 1 hour from door to door home to work and work to home.
TODAY, I MORE THAN DOUBLED THAT.
Seriously . .
And what did they protest?
A meeting for more environmental protection of all things.

But at least there is a new Episode of If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9-bQ3JoWY
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

It's my birthday today! I have officially managed to avoid accidentally joining the 27 Club by turning 28.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Happy Birthday!!!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Happy birthday :)
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Wait, what is the 27 club? :wuh:
OH FUCK
Last edited by The Adventurer's Almanac on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Shrapnel wrote:It's my birthday today! I have officially managed to avoid accidentally joining the 27 Club by turning 28.
Happy Birthday, and congrats on not dying.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Huh, I managed to avoid the 27 Club as well, wonder-

Oh, only applies to popular and successful types. Well, my life choices are validated, I guess.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

My parents flew up for my 40th birthday! They made it in safely yesterday.

violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Happy birthday!
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Yay! That's cool! Happy Birthday!