Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Iduno wrote:Casablanca was a good movie. It's a good thing nobody's tried to remake that with a modern cast and a director who wants to go a different direction with it.
You ever seen "Barb Wire" starring Pamela Anderson?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Watched the first season of Counterpart. I was quite happy with it. I would honestly watch JK Simmons read the phone book.

-Username17
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

FrankTrollman wrote:I would honestly watch JK Simmons read the phone book.

-Username17
I have an acquaintance who started drummersplaining why Whiplash is actually a stupid and unrealistic movie. Normally I'd have probably been annoyed but JK Simmons and Teller are good enough in that show that I mostly just felt kinda bad for him.
bears fall, everyone dies
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Iduno wrote:Casablanca was a good movie. It's a good thing nobody's tried to remake that with a modern cast and a director who wants to go a different direction with it.
You ever seen "Barb Wire" starring Pamela Anderson?
Was that the bad knock-off of Tank Girl?

Also, watched the pilot of Star Trek. It's always interesting to see what they kept or changed after the pilot.
Last edited by Iduno on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I was on another forum when the old Dilbert comics got brought up. I linked to MRA Dilbert (the blog where they take Dilbert comics and replace the text with direct quotes from Scott Adams' own shitty blog). I found this gem. Holy fuck it didn't age well!

Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

RobbyPants wrote:I was on another forum when the old Dilbert comics got brought up. I linked to MRA Dilbert (the blog where they take Dilbert comics and replace the text with direct quotes from Scott Adams' own shitty blog). I found this gem. Holy fuck it didn't age well!

Is he citing a hypothetical scenario as evidence o0?
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Hiram McDaniels wrote: Is he citing a hypothetical scenario as evidence o0?
I think this type of thing is common with conservatives. I remember friends of a friend on Facebook all going on about Obama not stepping down and giving himself a third term.

...Yet, that never happened and their orange messiah has repeatedly "joked" about doing that same thing.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

The pilot to Hazbin Hotel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlmswo0S0e0

A very well animated and voiced acted show. It is more-adult oriented.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

I'm hoping it gets picked up by somewhere, the whole style makes me think of fosters home for imaginary friends circa 2005 deviant art. It's weirdly nostalgic for a new property.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Josh_Kablack wrote:This mash-up is pure genius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop
I need a new drug!

Also, someone mentioned Barb Wire as a remake of Casablanca. It wasn't great (but was pretty obviously Casablanca), and anything sexual was cringey. However, it led me to Tank Girl. Tank Girl's sexuality is not unpleasant, probably because she's never not in control. It comes off a little Looney Tunes, but is a much more enjoyable Lady Badass movie.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Just got back from Joker. Pretty good.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Like most things, this one is mixed, but the positives I think outweigh the negatives.

The good:
I saw Midway with my daughter. I saw a WWII Veteran going in and coming out - there aren't many of them left, and that was kinda cool. Everything that was committed to film was done well - there weren't any scenes where I was really aware of CGI, even though reviewers kept comparing it to a video game. I'd be interested in seeing something that shows what was practical sets and what was completely fabricated. It also included some of the Japanese perspective which my daughter noticed and approved of. There haven't been a ton of war movies, and they're interesting for all kinds of reasons.

The bad:
The movie starts with events 4 years before the declaration of war. They explain what might cause Japan to go to war (cutting of Japanese oil shipments) but then skipped the establishment of the oil embargo the summer of '41. The movie then covers Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle Raid, the Battle of the Coral Sea, and finally Midway. That's a lot of ground to cover in 2 hours and 10 minutes, and it ends up feeling really superficial. The movie is called Midway, that's like a movie called Gettysburg that started with Bull Run, shifted to the Monitor versus the Merrimac, Chancellorsville then Gettysburg - it doesn't really end up providing context and it ends up feeling unnecessarily superficial.

Primarily, the movie focuses on the actions of the carrier Enterprise, and I think if they had wanted a broad scope picture focusing on the opportunistic nature of the attacks they made might have worked.

The actual island of Midway gets very little attention.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Last night's episode of Last Week Tonight was amazing. That HBO is willing to pay for that shit is fantastic.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Maj wrote:Last night's episode of Last Week Tonight was amazing. That HBO is willing to pay for that shit is fantastic.
Holy shit that was awesome! I hope it was as much fun to make as it was to watch
Last edited by phlapjackage on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

deaddmwalking wrote:Like most things, this one is mixed, but the positives I think outweigh the negatives.

The good:
I saw Midway with my daughter. I saw a WWII Veteran going in and coming out - there aren't many of them left, and that was kinda cool. Everything that was committed to film was done well - there weren't any scenes where I was really aware of CGI, even though reviewers kept comparing it to a video game. I'd be interested in seeing something that shows what was practical sets and what was completely fabricated. It also included some of the Japanese perspective which my daughter noticed and approved of. There haven't been a ton of war movies, and they're interesting for all kinds of reasons.

The bad:
The movie starts with events 4 years before the declaration of war. They explain what might cause Japan to go to war (cutting of Japanese oil shipments) but then skipped the establishment of the oil embargo the summer of '41. The movie then covers Pearl Harbor, the Doolittle Raid, the Battle of the Coral Sea, and finally Midway. That's a lot of ground to cover in 2 hours and 10 minutes, and it ends up feeling really superficial. The movie is called Midway, that's like a movie called Gettysburg that started with Bull Run, shifted to the Monitor versus the Merrimac, Chancellorsville then Gettysburg - it doesn't really end up providing context and it ends up feeling unnecessarily superficial.

Primarily, the movie focuses on the actions of the carrier Enterprise, and I think if they had wanted a broad scope picture focusing on the opportunistic nature of the attacks they made might have worked.

The actual island of Midway gets very little attention.
Sounds good, although "There haven't been a ton of war movies..."
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

It’s a good movie. It actually follows the history very well, nailing details like unique Japanese Aircraft carrier layouts to the IJN’s lack of confidence in a Nagumo. From Emmerich’s reputation I expected something similar to Pearl Harbor but he did much better than that.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Iduno wrote:
I mean RECENTLY. And probably more specifically World War II movies. But yeah, that's not exactly true either. In my mind I'm thinking movies like Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbor, and this...

I watched A Bridge Too Far recently and that's the type of movie I have in my mind. I guess they like to call them 'Epic War Movies'.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I miss old country music:

"Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train"

It's also real good beyond the jokingly self-aware lyrics; musically and vocally.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, country music that appeals specifically to smart ass non-fans peaked during the '70s and '80 because that's when you had a bunch of artists who were just self-aware enough to realize they were very nearly parodies of their forebearers but not so self-aware that they could sober up long enough to stay out of trouble.
bears fall, everyone dies
erik
King

Post by erik »

"I’m here as a fact witness to answer your questions. Your constitutional obligation is to consider the evidence before you."

Was listening to this while I did office work. It was mostly what I expected, but I was pleased with how good Taylor and Kent were.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

deaddmwalking wrote:
Iduno wrote:
I mean RECENTLY. And probably more specifically World War II movies. But yeah, that's not exactly true either. In my mind I'm thinking movies like Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbor, and this...

I watched A Bridge Too Far recently and that's the type of movie I have in my mind. I guess they like to call them 'Epic War Movies'.
I'd consider Dunkirk an epic war movie in the same vein as Private Ryan or Bridge too Far.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Saw Jojo Rabbit at bargain Wednesday. It's a very good film and it's scary how timely its messages are.

But the use of Tom Waits' "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" as the song for the Hitler Youth Camp montage was downright superlative.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Has anybody seen Parasite? I've heard nothing but good things about it.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.