Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I'm usually up on the news, and I know NOTHING about this.

After looking it up in regular media, it appears that other celebrities are trying to create awareness. There was 3 1/2 weeks from the event to today - in the US although cash bail is a huge problem and generally racists people would almost certainly be free to continue their lives prior to the trial. Spending weeks in jail if he turns out to be 'not guilty' is kinda sucky.
Miniature Colossus
Apprentice

Post by Miniature Colossus »

Worth noting is that if he is found not guilty then he will be compensated for lost income, I think it was something like up to 80% of income lost (and it would likely be the largest payout ever of this type in Sweden).

People like Trevor Noah suggested the authorities could just take his passport and let him go but this completely misses the fact that Sweden has open borders. He could just take a taxi to Oslo, get a new passport at the US embassy and fly home.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Milk and Cookies . .
WHY is the Milk ALWAYS gone before the last Cookie?!?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Stahlseele wrote:Milk and Cookies . .
WHY is the Milk ALWAYS gone before the last Cookie?!?
That's never happened to me. Do you eat 30 cookies per glass of milk?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

a.) No, just a hand full . . i have big hands okay? <.<
b.) Not a glass, a mug. Big one as well . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Because you don't buy a second thing of milk when the first milk is getting low.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Maj wrote:Because you don't buy a second thing of milk when the first milk is getting low.
I have a second fridge in my garage and it basically has backups of the common staples that my family (mostly the boys) runs through quickly. When I go shopping I put new stuff in garage and rotate out the surplus. The fridge is a free crappy old fridge but adequate for this purpose.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

My mom did that, too. Now that we don't have Ess, we don't need a back-up fridge, but I'm the same way. I hate running out of the basics.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I guess the base question is "Why is HR?" It's not like they're a necessary evil.

I'm applying for a (actually several) job and keep getting hit with questions like "describe your experience knowing rules." I'm not even sure what they're looking for with that. Nobody wants to sit down a read a pile of stories that boil down to "one time, there was a rule, and I knew it. The end."
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

What kind of job is it?
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

SlyJohnny wrote:What kind of job is it?
Wastewater.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Iduno wrote:I guess the base question is "Why is HR?" It's not like they're a necessary evil.

I'm applying for a (actually several) job and keep getting hit with questions like "describe your experience knowing rules." I'm not even sure what they're looking for with that. Nobody wants to sit down a read a pile of stories that boil down to "one time, there was a rule, and I knew it. The end."
Questions like that are looking for (very short) stories about how you'd be an awesome employee that they definitely want to hire. Make sure you stay focused on that. The story should always (1) reflect positively on you (2) show how you'd add value for them and (3) not badmouth prior employers

An example for that particular prompt could be: when I was doing (task) at (prior employer) a fellow employee suggested we break (some rule) and cut corners to finish (task) more quickly. I reminded them of (some rule) and suggested that (task) would go more quickly if we stayed motivated and focused. They agreed with my suggestion. In the end, we finished (task) ahead of schedule, while following (rule).

Note that this story could also answer questions about "conflict in the workplace" or "a time you showed leadership". Having a handful of flexible stories like that is often enough to cover all the questions you get in an interview.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, I've been rebuilding all of the Bionicles I've accumulated over the years, since they've all ended up disassembled for one reason or another. I've been able to fully rebuild almost all of them, but I am missing a fair few pieces, especially from the older sets.

Is there a place I can buy individual LEGO pieces, specifically Technic and Bionicle parts? eBay is not very helpful, and I don't want to buy whole new sets just to get one or two pieces.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Hmm. They don't seem to have Bionicle parts. Some Technic, tho...
Half asleep upon my knee
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Iduno wrote:I guess the base question is "Why is HR?" It's not like they're a necessary evil.

HR exists to protect the company from lawsuits. Sometimes this is to protect from people suing the company because the Boss wants to grope their ass. But more often its to protect the company from hiring some meth head who'll drive the company car through a playground and open them up to lawsuits from grieving parents.

The HR people aren't reading your application for entertainment, they're looking for reasons you might be a liability. The key thing on a resume is to make it clear that you won't cause the company any problems and that you're definitely a safe pick as an employee. When they're asking about knowing rules, what they're really asking is "How do we know we can trust you to do what we tell you to?"
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

Shrapnel wrote:So, I've been rebuilding all of the Bionicles I've accumulated over the years, since they've all ended up disassembled for one reason or another. I've been able to fully rebuild almost all of them, but I am missing a fair few pieces, especially from the older sets.

Is there a place I can buy individual LEGO pieces, specifically Technic and Bionicle parts? eBay is not very helpful, and I don't want to buy whole new sets just to get one or two pieces.
https://www.bricklink.com is the usual place to go for such needs.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

YES! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks you so much!
Half asleep upon my knee
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Somewhat related, but I just did a yearly survey with my current employer and one of the questions was (paraphrased) "What are the best ways our company is accomplishing some random nonsensical phrase that we made up to describe ourselves?" I put down "I have no idea". I find my ability to put up with corporate bullshit has gone down the older I get.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

The correct answer there is your own job description, of course.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Attaching great meaning to nonsensical phrases you just made up was an RPG-player's thing I thought.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Somewhat related, but I just did a yearly survey with my current employer and one of the questions was (paraphrased) "What are the best ways our company is accomplishing some random nonsensical phrase that we made up to describe ourselves?" I put down "I have no idea". I find my ability to put up with corporate bullshit has gone down the older I get.
It's a game. I always do awesome on my self-evaluation because I don't take it seriously. But I make it SOUND good.

In the thing that you said 'I have no idea' you could try something like:

In the past year, it has been clear that [initiative] has been a major focus. Not only have I heard this message from our most senior leaders, I can tell the whole organization is on board because I've heard it from my direct manager and other leaders. Clarity of vision is an important organizational goal, so I'm pleased that not only have we made progress on [initiative], communication at all levels of the organization has also improved.

Then best thing about an answer like that - even if they think you're bullshitting, they can't actually call you out on it.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

deaddmwalking wrote:
Then best thing about an answer like that - even if they think you're bullshitting, they can't actually call you out on it.
Kind of like having the Bad Dragon logo on your car. For someone to complain they'd have to admit they're a deviant too.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Checking to see if my associations with a term are representative of mainstream associations.

If a character in a game is described as a "hustler," what first comes to mind about them?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Hustler - a skeevy guy, probably a criminal, who makes small-time commercial deals. Is that what you think of with that term?