Pathfinder 2e

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

souran wrote:
That said pathfinder 2E published AP appears to be an even worse disaster than the 2E game itself. Everybody says that the story is horrible, the encounters Unmemorable, and the story logic inane.
Care to link any discussions? Paizo's own forum is carefully purged of negativity, as usual.

Meanwhile, I've browsed .pdf of their Bestiary. There are a few not-so-important flaws there, like monsters still getting spells of the levels wildly beyond what PCs can get at the same CR, or just actual abilities in the game where PCs noticeably lack such; or Paizo sticking shitty new names on iconic monsters for some reason and one big flaw. The art sucks. PF1 interpetations of the same monsters are better in near damn every case.
Kevin Mack
1st Level

Post by Kevin Mack »

Well theres the goblins that are just halflings in green paint and big ear cosplay, guard creatures with no darkvision that are left in pitch black rooms to guard against things with darkvision, the fact that half the ap bestiary is literally reintroducing monsters we already had in 1E (Some from the first besitary)

Also the railroad is so strong that the second book literally has a minor atagonist your supposed to encounter twice to the point that it says if the party kills him simply intoduce his Identical twin brother for the second encounter (Something that has left one of my players who is an identical twin rather angry at paizo over.)
Suzerain
1st Level

Post by Suzerain »

Kevin Mack wrote:Well theres the goblins that are just halflings in green paint and big ear cosplay, guard creatures with no darkvision that are left in pitch black rooms to guard against things with darkvision, the fact that half the ap bestiary is literally reintroducing monsters we already had in 1E (Some from the first besitary)
Some of this is inherent to the system and not the AP. Playable goblins are just nu-kender, so of course they're terrible, and reusing monsters is inevitable in the first AP of a second edition. I've got nothing when it comes to creatures with no darkvision guarding in the dark. That's just dumb immersion breaking nonsense.
Kevin Mack wrote:Also the railroad is so strong that the second book literally has a minor atagonist your supposed to encounter twice to the point that it says if the party kills him simply intoduce his Identical twin brother for the second encounter (Something that has left one of my players who is an identical twin rather angry at paizo over.)
Why even bother. Just give him a bad-guy-only emergency teleport ability and be done with it at that point, if you want to be transparent. That's clunky first-time-ever GMing type bullshit right there.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Suzerain wrote: Why even bother. Just give him a bad-guy-only emergency teleport ability and be done with it at that point, if you want to be transparent. That's clunky first-time-ever GMing type bullshit right there.
Better yet - the first time they meet the bad guy is mentally occupying a golem-body. It's been done in Sci-Fi all the time. Finding an item that lets you 'bond' to an artificial body and still adventure isn't something that would be terrible for the PCs to find - and in this case not necessarily find, but FIND OUT ABOUT. You can even make the golem-body not as good as your normal body and it'd be fine for this AP.

Terracotta soldier for the win.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

FatR wrote:
souran wrote:
That said pathfinder 2E published AP appears to be an even worse disaster than the 2E game itself. Everybody says that the story is horrible, the encounters Unmemorable, and the story logic inane.
Care to link any discussions? Paizo's own forum is carefully purged of negativity, as usual.

Meanwhile, I've browsed .pdf of their Bestiary. There are a few not-so-important flaws there, like monsters still getting spells of the levels wildly beyond what PCs can get at the same CR, or just actual abilities in the game where PCs noticeably lack such; or Paizo sticking shitty new names on iconic monsters for some reason and one big flaw. The art sucks. PF1 interpetations of the same monsters are better in near damn every case.

Sorry, I could provide links on the day of that post but now.... I got those impressions by following this board (duh), Something Awful Trad Games, Reddit, and RPG.net.

Honestly, now when I go looking mostly its radio silence. PF2E seems basically stillborn. SA doesn't even have a unique PF2E thread. Just one thread for both editions and 2E is not dominating the conversation except for people asking questions like "how does this work?"

Reddit has a pathfinder 2E thread that doesn't seem to be more active than the 1E thread. Both together are hardly as active as the 5e thread.
RPG.net kills negative discussions quick due to their "everything is awesome" mentality but it doesn't matter because nobody seems to care.
Kevin Mack
1st Level

Post by Kevin Mack »

Also possibly telling is that the product page for the 2E core rulebook on Paizo's own website is only 8 pages (Pretty sure for 1E it was in the mid double didgets by the same amount of time that had passed since release)
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

deaddmwalking wrote:
Suzerain wrote: Why even bother. Just give him a bad-guy-only emergency teleport ability and be done with it at that point, if you want to be transparent. That's clunky first-time-ever GMing type bullshit right there.
Better yet - the first time they meet the bad guy is mentally occupying a golem-body. It's been done in Sci-Fi all the time. Finding an item that lets you 'bond' to an artificial body and still adventure isn't something that would be terrible for the PCs to find - and in this case not necessarily find, but FIND OUT ABOUT. You can even make the golem-body not as good as your normal body and it'd be fine for this AP.

Terracotta soldier for the win.
Better yet - just assume they are two different NPC.

... Seriously, does your imagination have a limited budget? Do you need to give the second NPC the same face as the first one because you can't imagine another face? Does he need to speak the same way and have the same habits because there nothing else in your imagination?

Seriously, we're playing TTRPGs, we aren't producing soap opera.
Last edited by GâtFromKI on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

GâtFromKI wrote:
I have not read the adventure, but I would assume that the reason it is written as a single NPC is that he must have knowledge of the first encounter.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

deaddmwalking wrote:
GâtFromKI wrote:
I have not read the adventure, but I would assume that the reason it is written as a single NPC is that he must have knowledge of the first encounter.
Identical twin brothers don't have a shared mind.

I would assume the reason it is written as a single NPC is because it allow the author to build one NPC instead of two and write one stat block instead of two.

Edit: Anyway, maybe you're right. And the author is dumb because, again, identical twin brothers don't have a shared mind - in this case I can understand why the player who had a twin brother thought it was offensive.
Last edited by GâtFromKI on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kevin Mack
1st Level

Post by Kevin Mack »

To clarify

The characters are identical down to them basically having near enough the same name (Ones called gerhard whilst the other is called Erhard) so at best it's really just lazy dumb writing that manges to be mildly offensive.
Suzerain
1st Level

Post by Suzerain »

From looking at the Paizo boards, this is true about Gerhard and Erhard - although the idea does have it's defenders, there's pushback on the obvious implication that twins are interchangable and have no pesonalities of their own.
Suzerain
1st Level

Post by Suzerain »

Biiig post by Jason Buhlman, thought it was worth a breakdown.
Simply iterating on the same game engine was not enough. The 3.5 engine has had its day, and as a team we decided that it was time to modernize, to create a version of Pathfinder that was more than just tinkering around the edges. The game needed to evolve to speak to the desires of the current crowd of gamers. It needed to an engine tune up that made it easier for novices to grasp, while still providing a rich depth of option. What it needed was elegance in its design.
Failed on all counts then - PF2 is more byzantine for new players while being shallower and less elegant. Modes and the transitions between them alone are far clunkier than nearly anything in the lineage of 3.0 to Pathfinder. I also don't think that the 3.5 engine has had its day, as none of the successors have enjoyed the same sort of success. Indeed, there hasn't really been a game that's both been a response to 3.0 and something with actual substance.
The first steps were taken shortly after the first edition of Pathfinder made their (sic) way to the printer. The work that was left undone, due the necessity of compatibility, would become the basis for what the new game needed to be. The math engine caused problems with high level play that led to an unsatisfactory game experience. Imbalances in fundamental class design created imbalances that left some players feeling unable to contribute. A bloat of rules options without any checks in the system created a game that was unwieldy to run.
At least some problem areas were genuinely identified, but if Buhlman is crediting that to the PF design team he needs to stop huffing whatever substance it is that gives him delusions of grandeur. The maths issues and the issues in class design have been long known to exist. Finally, rules bloat is only a problem if a GM allows it to be - they can and do disallow whatever they like. It's a bad argument, but what else should be expected given the product we were given?
But in spite of all that, the game itself was still a success, due in large part to the world it created, and the investment it fostered in players and game masters alike. We knew, from the outset, that the story of the game had to remain the same, even if the rules that made it manifest needed to change. Achieving that goal meant that we needed to do a lot more than simply clean up the game. We needed to start over.
I was unaware that the spirit of the game was "you need a feat to scratch your arse" but maybe I'm out of touch? It's also a non-sequitur to claim that in order to keep the story the same the rules must be rebuilt, as the story emerged from the rules. Unless, of course, you substitute the word "story" for "railroad", which I think makes it a much more accurate sentence.
Pathfinder Second Edition does not include one single sentence or rule carried over directly from first edition. And while that made for a lot of additional work, it also meant that we could look at each rule cleanly, unburdened by the conventions of the past.
The reverse-Newton - instead of standing on the shoulders of giants, why not just step down to the ground? Or in this case, perhaps plunge is a more accurate image.
In the end, many things work similarly to how they did in first edition (a longsword still does 1d8 damage), but we were able to innovate where the game called for innovation. Take the action system for example. In first edition, when it was your turn to act in combat, you had a complicated menu of options, between move actions, standard actions, free actions, swift actions, and on and on. In second edition, we simplified that to just three actions, removing all the types and making your turn a more dynamic part of the game. The narrative is still fundamentally the same, but how you take part in the game is much simpler to teach and easy to use.
I fail to see how making every action compete with every other action is any good for choice paralysis. Indeed, it's much worse. Having three categories of action works, because things of similar value can be grouped together. The only even moderately difficult thing is immediate actions in this context.
Next, we knew that if we were going to take a fresh look at the game, we needed a playtest that would allow us to gather meaningful data about the core of the game’s engine. In the past, our playtests had focused on the experience of the rules, relying mostly on player and game master anecdotes to gather information. While this gave us insight, it was impossible to apply any measure of statistical rigor to the data. For second edition we decided to create an environment that allowed us to gather better data about our game.
The playtest fucking sucked. I should know, I was there. Bans and locking threads critical of the new edition were common. The idea that there was any statistical rigor involved is complete bullshit. I'm not even going to address the rest of what he says about the playtest because it's either facile or a lie. I will note that the point on removing resonance is laughable, as that system was so horrible I suspect it was only added to enable the team to say "see, we listened!" while ignoring all the other fundamental issues that people brought up.
The second edition of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game has been in the works for years, but now on the eve of its release, all of that work is about to pay off. The new version of the game is simple to run
Okay, how does stealth work? How do you transition between modes? What's the DC for any basic task? Do tasks scale with your level or not? I've not seen any simple answers for any of these questions, and these are just off the top of my head.
and easier for new players to learn,
Whatever shit you're on pass it to me because that is some wacky stuff. The maze of traits, allowable actions for skills, feat choices, requirements for number-whoring, and so on make it much harder for new players to learn
but it keeps all of the features that players have come to appreciate from Pathfinder: deep character customization, a rich world narrative, and all the tools to tell the type of stories that you want to tell. Speaking for the team, we can’t wait to share those stories with you.
Oh fuck off. Deep character customisation is a total lie, given how low-impact and boring most abilities are. It can't tell all stories that PF1 core alone could tell and it never will because the idea of the PCs having significant agency is one that clashes with the AP/PFS model that is being hard catered to.

The final line is very telling - it may be bad phrasing, but it seems that the team can't wait to share with you the stories you want to tell. Not for you to share it with them. They are the ones who decide what stories you want to tell.
Last edited by Suzerain on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

In first edition, when it was your turn to act in combat, you had a complicated menu of options, between move actions, standard actions, free actions, swift actions, and on and on.
Maybe it's because I started with games where that's already a thing, but is it really hard to keep track of "the action I do most stuff with", "the action I move with", "the action I do little things with" and "free shit"? Or did Pathfinder just have all sorts of baroque shit for all of its action types so you actually had 10,000 things to keep track of for each action and none of it was intuitive at all?[/i]
Last edited by The Adventurer's Almanac on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

Suzerain wrote:The final line is very telling - it may be bad phrasing, but it seems that the team can't wait to share with you the stories you want to tell.
This is literally how I understand the final line - but I'm not a native English speaker, so I may be wrong.

And I agree, this is Pathfinder: railroad edition. Transition between mode is decided by railroad (the GM decide what happens - eg he decides if an ambush succeed - and then he roll to confirm his choice), characters' builds are decided by railroad (will you get the spell you need to play your diviner?), in the grand scheme characters have no ability to derail the train (except if the DM gives such an ability during his railroad), and they have no agency except when if the railroad decides otherwise.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Swift action congestion, having too many things you could do with your swift/immediate action, was definitely a thing for certain PF1 characters. And having too many possible spells to quickly choose from could be an issue for some players of spellcasters.

In PF2 there's no swift action-equivalent (there may be 'reaction congestion' for a few characters but not often) and your spells do little enough even at max level, so the lower level spells can be dismissed from consideration very quickly. I guess that's fixed. It's not good though.

BTW, anyone know what sort of sales #2000 in books on Amazon means?
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
In first edition, when it was your turn to act in combat, you had a complicated menu of options, between move actions, standard actions, free actions, swift actions, and on and on.
Maybe it's because I started with games where that's already a thing, but is it really hard to keep track of "the action I do most stuff with", "the action I move with", "the action I do little things with" and "free shit"? Or did Pathfinder just have all sorts of baroque shit for all of its action types so you actually had 10,000 things to keep track of for each action and none of it was intuitive at all?[/i]
there are actions using the big and the small action, actions that should use the big and the small action but you're allowed to make it partially so it only use your big action, [the same] but the partial use is only available if you're reduced to a big action because of slow or something similar, actions you can use only if you don't move this round (you can use your move action while doing those action), action using your little action of the next turn and are usable outside of your turn...

... to be fair, the 3e action system is a mess.

in the other hand, PF2 is even more of a mess.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

The 3e implementation of standard and move or maybe full-round or 1-round if your want, a swift or immediate for good measure, one or more attacks of opportunity, and as many free actions as you please, does have a lot of weird and fiddly edge cases in there for no reason other than that the action economy was slowly hacked together over time, yeah. But it is really easy to convert that into a coherent and straightforward system with only minimal loss of detail.

Personally in a board game I actually see a lot of benefit to there being an action type that you always do, and ends your turn when you do it: "I didn't realize you were done with your turn" is one of the slowest phrases in turn based gaming. That's not exactly relevant to this conversation though.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Writing adventures is a major part of Paizo's business. Sharing their stories with you is literally what they get paid the big bucks for.

OTOH Buhlman is terrible at dealing with the public and mostly they have got others to do so in recent years. The clumsiness of that line is a reminder of why.
jt
Knight

Post by jt »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:Maybe it's because I started with games where that's already a thing, but is it really hard to keep track of "the action I do most stuff with", "the action I move with", "the action I do little things with" and "free shit"?
It's been my experience that only about a third of my players learn the action rules, and the rest internalize it as "I can move 30ft and take a standard action." As soon as they get a second option for a move action, their turns grind to a halt for 2-3 sessions while they acclimate. People also need frequent reminders about how swift actions work.

The only game I've played that uses identical actions is Star Wars: Imperial Assault, which was noticeably faster. However, the group I played that with was significantly more on the ball than anyone I've played D&D with, so it's not a comparison I'm that confident in.
Foxwarrior wrote:Personally in a board game I actually see a lot of benefit to there being an action type that you always do, and ends your turn when you do it: "I didn't realize you were done with your turn" is one of the slowest phrases in turn based gaming. That's not exactly relevant to this conversation though.
That's fascinating, I can totally see how that'd work.

You could accomplish the same with an end-of-turn maintenance phase. Those obviously take up time on their own, but if you ever have a situation where one would help, the time loss could cancel out. Assuming the maintenance phase itself has a clear end, of course. 4E style rolling saves to end conditions wouldn't work because nobody knows how many conditions you have.
GnomeWorks
Master

Post by GnomeWorks »

jt wrote:You could accomplish the same with an end-of-turn maintenance phase. Those obviously take up time on their own, but if you ever have a situation where one would help, the time loss could cancel out. Assuming the maintenance phase itself has a clear end, of course. 4E style rolling saves to end conditions wouldn't work because nobody knows how many conditions you have.
At end of turn, if you have any negative conditions, you can make a save to end one.

If you have no conditions, you instead make a save to recover $RHODE_ISLAND hit points; if at full hit points, you gain $RHODE_ISLAND temporary hit points instead. Or, if you prefer, each class or resource management type could have a roll they can make to recover resources or something at the end of their turn.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Lots of games have you end your turn when you make an attack or whatever, it's not a new idea by any means.
jt
Knight

Post by jt »

Foxwarrior: Yeah, I've definitely seen that before, but I never connected it to the downtime between turns problem. That's the part I found so interesting.

GnomeWorks: Turning your end of turn maintenance into a resource is clever, I like it. Maybe it could subsume a lot of the stuff that's traditionally a swift action, too.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Foxwarrior wrote:Lots of games have you end your turn when you make an attack or whatever, it's not a new idea by any means.
Are there any RPGs that take a cue from TCGs and have a bunch of different actions you can do, but they're in clear stages that proceed in a standard order? Something like you have to take your swift action first, and then you have to use your shift action, and then your standard? Or is that as shitty and restrictive as it sounds? Did anybody do it anyway?
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

That sounds like Rolemaster, Almanac. Separate stages of the round for movement and spells and attacks, and a couple more things IIRC. It wasn't popular in their implementation at least.
magnuskn
Knight

Post by magnuskn »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Depended on the class. Standard and move actions pretty much were the same for everyone (unless you took a feat, so only if you took active steps to change the standard mode of doing things), while swift actions were something some classes never needed (Barbarians, for example) and some classes needed many more of (Swashbucklers, Warpriests and some others).

But in general it's as you said, move for moving, standard for acting, swift for some special abilities depending on your class and free for talking way too much in six seconds. Immediate actions were probably the most wonky and prone to doing something wrong with them.