Lets Play - Can You Brexit?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'm more concerned with staying on the EU's good side than answering the demands of Brexiteers. Say that anyone with a job or university application can get a visa to Britain.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Fair enough. I'll change my vote to jobs and universities.

Does this mean our global strategy is going to be as conciliatorily as possible to the EU27 or just play it by ear and mix and match?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm by and large playing pragmatically.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I haven't seen an option that won't get us bombed by Fenians, so I don't think it really matters. I'll get on the 'more permissive' wagon.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You wait until the following day to get the other ministers’ verdict on your proposal. If you have the keyword KOALA...

We don't, so:

It’s not a bad compromise and they know it. You can go home and announce the introduction of a visa system, which will please the Kippers and the right of your own party. At the same time, the visa guidelines will pretty much replicate the best elements of free movement – the ability of the labour market to respond rapidly, the necessary fluidity of service sector jobs – while removing the ways that some voters perceive, rightly or wrongly, that it is being abused.
Record on your Brexit Memo Pad:
+5% Economy: the financial markets breathe a sigh of relief.
+5% Goodwill: the EU see you’re trying your best to find common ground.
Acquire the keyword MAPLE.
Mark Immigration as complete.

□ □

If both of the boxes above are already highlighted...

Otherwise, don’t highlight one yet, just read on.

You only have limited time to oversee areas of the Brexit talks in person. Other negotiations are left to your deputies. The issues that need to be dealt with now are listed below, and you will only be able to deal with two of them personally.

When you choose an issue to oversee, you’ll be asked to highlight one of the boxes above:
Deal with the Exit Fee (only if it is not already marked as complete) – highlight a box above and then...

Deal with the rights of EU citizens already living in Britain (only if Residency Rights is not already marked as complete) – highlight one of the boxes above, then...

Deal with the question of immigration and border controls (only if Immigration is not already marked as complete) – highlight a box and then...

Agree a framework with the EU for how talks should proceed (only if Negotiation Strategy is not already marked as complete) – highlight a box and then...

Incidentally, if you need a rest from running the country, this is a good place to take a break and come back later. Once you have dealt with two of these issues (indicated by having highlighted both boxes above)...
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Negotiation Strats.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Seconded
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Thirded.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The EU Commission’s chief negotiator, Armand Alprèves, is pleased by your suggestion that some rules and guidelines should be established at this early stage.

‘Ever since the days of Hammurabi, it has always been better to be governed by principles than by whims,’ he agrees.

Willy Franjeboom, the EU Parliament’s negotiator, is not so quick to acquiesce. ‘It depends, of course, on what those principles are.’

What will you suggest?
‘Let’s try to find solutions that benefit all sides. It won’t always be possible but it can be our first goal in all talks.’
‘Britain hopes for a win-win, but if you try to punish us we’ll break off talks. No deal is better than a bad deal.’
‘Britain’s armed forces are vital to the security of Europe, and in return we want a good trade deal. Let’s get that out of the way upfront and we can stay friends.’

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

#1 is the most diplomatic and doesn't actually commit us to anything concrete, go with that.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thirded
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

While trying not to appear too fulsome, they are obviously encouraged and even pleasantly surprised by your proposals.
+3% Economy: sterling shows a modest improvement as news of the good temper of the talks gets out.
+10% Goodwill: the other EU states are relieved that the talks have got off to a hopeful start.
Mark Negotiation Strategy as complete.

□ □

If both of the boxes above are already highlighted...

While you have been attending to the areas of negotiation you consider most important, you’ve had to delegate other topics to your ministers. Now it’s time to see how they’ve done.

If you have not marked Negotiation Strategy as complete...
Otherwise, if you have not marked Immigration as complete...
Otherwise, if you have not completed the Exit Fee and do not have the keywords APRICITY or BLEAK...

Your civil servants report that the minister tasked with negotiating the exit fee flew into a temper when the EU team contradicted him. He stormed out saying that he wouldn’t stand for what he called punishment beatings. There’s even a rumour that he likened the German delegation to concentration camp guards.

‘It could have gone worse,’ is your chief of staff’s view. ‘I made sure to have his hip flask filled with tonic water.’

‘But what now? The EU27 will take it to the International Court. We may end up having to pay more.’

He nods. ‘But not until after the next election, at least.’
-5% Authority: nobody is sure if you have any control of your cabinet
-15% Goodwill: the Foreign Secretary’s antagonism has lost you friends among the other EU states.
+5% Popularity: the voters perceive this as a strong move.
Get the keyword BLEAK

A couple of issues have been sitting in your in-tray for a while. Now that you have a little time, decide which you want to deal with:
A visa deal with Turkey
Trouble brewing with Spain over Gibraltar

48% Authority
60% Economy
53% Goodwill
57% Popularity

Immigration, Negotiation Strategy
Bleak, Maple
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

I'd guess Turkey. Being hardline to Turkey should play well to the EU27, our backbenchers and the British public. Win-win-win, (except for the Turks).

Any discussion over Gibraltar will just piss the Spanish off.
Last edited by Mr Shine on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Talk Turkey.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Turkey.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Poultry for Thanksgiving dinners.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

‘We’re going to have a shortage of labour after Brexit,’ the Chancellor reminds you.

‘Doctors, nurses… Yes, I suppose we’ll have to step up immigration from India and the Caribbean, even though the Brexit voters are going to hate that.’

‘Actually I was thinking of unskilled and semi-skilled workers. The sort of menial job that no coddled British school-leaver would dream of doing.’

‘Alan, I’ve told you before about this. Don’t bring me problems, bring me – ’

‘I have the solution right here, Prime Minister. A special visa deal with Turkey. President Yalayip Kulübe will go along with anything that makes it look as if his country is getting more acceptance by the West.’

‘If only to cock a snook at the EU.’

Will you agree to the deal making it easier for Turkish workers to get a visa to the UK?
Yes.
No.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Allowing Turkish workers easier access to visas is not going to be popular with the British public or the EU, both of which I'm more concerned with currying favor with than Turkey.

A vote for disagreeing but I'll change to break ties because siding with Turkey would be interesting even if it isn't politically expedient.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

So we'll take an economic boost, but lose support for not sticking it to Johnny Foreigner, and tank our goodwill? No.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Labor shortages create upward pressure on wages, so I'm actually in favor of that. No.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You’ve survived the first six months of Brexit negotiations, but it’s still a long road ahead. ►666 and highlight one of the boxes there before you do anything else
□ □ □

This is different from any other section in the book. Do not highlight one of the boxes above unless you were specifically told to do so in the section you’ve just turned from.
If none of the boxes is highlighted...
If one box is highlighted...
If two boxes are highlighted...
If all three boxes are highlighted...

By the way, if you need a rest from running the country – well, it’s a stressful job and nobody could blame you. This is a good place to take a break. Just be sure to bookmark this section so you can find your place later.

If this box □ is not highlighted, do so now and...

If you have the keyword TIGHTROPE...
If you have the keyword KOALA...
If you have the keyword WELTER...

If you have none of those keywords...

If you have the keyword MAPLE...

As you’ve agreed to a modified form of free movement, the issue of EU and UK nationals living in each other’s countries is now superfluous. You announce a mutual agreement permitting those citizens to keep their residency status following Brexit.
On your Brexit Memo Pad:
+5% Economy: that’s three million taxpayers you don’t have to say goodbye to.
+10% Goodwill: your reasonable approach is making you friends in Europe.
+5% Popularity: to your surprise, the decision is welcomed at home too.
Mark Residency Rights as complete.

Otherwise read on. If this box □ is not highlighted, do so now and...

Sterling is falling faster than Wile E Coyote carrying an anvil. People are angry that their shopping bill gets more eye-wateringly expensive every week.
Check your Brexit Memo Pad.
If Economy score is less than 50%
Otherwise

‘Looking on the bright side,’ chips in the International Trade Minister, ‘the slide in the pound will make our exports more attractive.’
On your Brexit Memo Pad:
-1% Popularity: you’re getting some flak for the higher price of prosecco, but the majority of voters seem happy to switch to warm beer.

Otherwise read on. If this box □ is not highlighted, do so now and... Otherwise read on.

To be briefed on the issues you’re facing...
Who has time for briefings? It’s time to do something!
48% Authority
65% Economy
63% Goodwill
61% Popularity

Immigration, Negotiation Strategy, Residency Rights
Bleak, Maple
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Do things!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Do all the things!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Get all content