Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'd put it much closer to a Third Thor in terms of quality.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Agreed. Cap'n Marvel was fantastic. Really looking forward to her appearance in Avengers.

And I'm still holding out hope that they make a Death's Head movie.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Captain Marvel did make me realize just how spoiled we are for good superhero movies nowadays. Due to some script quibbles, I don't think it even makes my top 5 MCU movie entries. And yet since those are all just quibbles, it compares favorably to all but a small handful of pre-MCU comics-based movies.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

Prak wrote:I'd put it much closer to a Third Thor in terms of quality.
Aside from near the end I'm not sure it had quite the same level of goofy bombast as Ragnarok. And in terms of how the plot is structured it actually resembles 1st thor quite a bit, but with more polish from nearly a decade of making these things, and with the minor detail that Carol has her powers already. They're both about reclaiming a lost sense of identity.
I will agree with anyone who says Carol was kind of really wooden at the start before she formally teams up with Nick and has someone to bounce off of. Starting your character off with amnesia is always a hard sell, it's tough to do well.

I will absolutely disagree with anyone who says she has "no" character though. Like, vanilla carol gives me "Elanor Shellstrop with her life together" vibes and she gradually regains that through the film. All the kree control was to try and sand the edges off. The ending was them failing spectacularly. I do wish OG carol got more screen time but that's what sequels are for.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Honestly "wooden" seems to be a defining trait of the Kree.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, I liked Captain Marvel a lot more than Thor 1 but then again I think the most memorable thing about Thor 1 was how ostentatiously they wasted Natalie Portman.
bears fall, everyone dies
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

They wasted Natalie Portman so much that I had actually completely forgotten that she a) was in Thor and b) is real.
Half asleep upon my knee
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

The Good Fight is back! I have missed it so much.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Love, Death, and Robots is very good if somtimes brutal short Sci-fi stories.

"What happens if the yogurt goes to the stars without us?"
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I loved (most of) Love, Death and Robots. It of course is an example of why more diversity is needed behind the camera (I think all of a single story had a woman on the production crew, the yogurt one, so it's no surprise how male-gazey the stories were).

That said, a number of those shorts would be great seeds for larger works. SUITS alone would be a great series.

phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

I just watched all of Love,Death, and Robots after seeing a post about it on Reddit - loved almost all of them (Zima Blue, 3 Robots, The Witness, the hypersleep one). Very MTV Liquid Television-y. Walked a nice line between some serious sci-fi/fantasy and just some fun silly stuff (like the yogurt one).
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Archer, season 9, episode 1: When I realized that this was a whole new "timeline", not a continuation of season 8 or season 7, and when I realized that the boring "Archer is in a coma" framing device from season 8 was gone.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Shrapnel wrote:SO they made a Masterpiece Megatron toy (Masterpiece is a really high-end toyline) and since Megatron in G1 was a GUN (a Walther P-38, to be exact - the one from Man from U.N.C.L.E., specifically), the Masterpiece toy does the same.

Since America SUCKS, I can't get it without a STUPID FUCKING ORANGE SAFETY PLUG OVER THE FUCKING GUN BARREL FUCK.

Which can be removed, but they ask you not to do it, so you probably shouldn't.

But, it's still better than Australia!
BigBadToyStore wrote:Please Note: The Australian Government & Australian Customs may seize this item, please order with caution if you live in Australia.
So I finally got Masterpiece Megatron (yay!) from BBTS, which means it came with a stupid plug that was a nauseating shade of orange that Frank would probably approve of (boo!). Fortunately, due to the magic of the so-called "World Wide Web", I was able to find a solution... and remove it! (YAY!)

I have successfully violated American Toy/Imitation Gun laws and given US Cutsoms the middle finger! THE INTERNET IS THE BEST PLACE EVER! FUCK YOU, US GOVERNMENT!

I know you are all as excited about this as I am.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Tigtone was a weird show, but it really grew on me. Hot Streets is my favorite Adult Swim show at this moment.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Shazam is the purest thing and I love it. It is my favorite superhero movie, followed by Dark Knight and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.

My main criticisms of the movie:
The fighting is padded sumo until the final battle where there are hostages at stake. Captain Marvel is invincible and the only win condition the villain has is breaking him down morally, which he already failed to do by this point. The villain is equally invincible, but at least Captain Marvel has a win condition of weakening the villain by luring out the demons and then pulling out the eye. At least for most of the movie, the fights are just there for gags.

The villain's kinda meh. He's very mediocre yet functional. His setup is incredible - being a child rejected by Shazam he becomes the hero's antithesis, but then that potential never goes anywhere. It's too early for the Anti-Hero. Reverse Flash and Nega Superman and Dark Link need to come after you have established a hero so that we know what the villain is mirroring. And this dude isn't even that. He just has the setup and then he's an evil dude.

I wish Billy had a more defined arc and a more visible process of gathering the resolve to step into the heroism. The moment where Billy should be at his lowest (he learns that his mom didn't want him) is immediately followed by him becoming the Hero.

And in the spoilers - Superman showing up for lunch was great.
And wow Wizard Shazam is a dick. No wonder he's a black mage now.

I can't get over how much Captain Marvel looks like Adam Sandler after a good reincarnation.
Last edited by Longes on Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Ice-T and Mariska Hargitay's cameo on SNL got a really good laugh out of me.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Astro Boy is the Watership Down of science fiction. The presentation is almost a perfect blend of Mickey Mouse and the Fleischer Superman cartoons, but the actual content is mostly Shakespearean drama, existential conundrums, and deconstructing action-fiction violence.

Except that kids don't really grasp most of that, so while Watership Down traumatizes children, Astro Boy traumatizes adults.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

I wish I could say Game of Thrones, S8E1. Instead, I am going to go with "Raiders of the Lost Ark", which I watched afterwards. I'm going to go with "the play of light and shadow as Indy enters the idol chamber" as my moment. But seriously, it was an utter, absolute joy to rewatch after I don't know how long. 20 years, maybe?
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Finally saw Sorry To Bother You. It's a disturbing surrealistic journey through a nightmarish near future dystopia that is very funny. It's like if Repo Man and Office Space had a baby, but it offers a deeper and less nihilistic critique of society. It's the best movie I've seen all year, and I'm still thinking about it right now.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

rasmuswagner wrote:I wish I could say Game of Thrones, S8E1. Instead, I am going to go with "Raiders of the Lost Ark", which I watched afterwards. I'm going to go with "the play of light and shadow as Indy enters the idol chamber" as my moment. But seriously, it was an utter, absolute joy to rewatch after I don't know how long. 20 years, maybe?
Episode 2 was in every way better than Episode 1. It felt like a return to old GoT (i.e.-before 2017).

Game On,
fbmf
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Episode 2 was amazing. Spoilers for favorite moment
When Jaime knights Brienne I was honestly tearing up. What a beautiful moment.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

FrankTrollman wrote:Finally saw Sorry To Bother You. It's a disturbing surrealistic journey through a nightmarish near future dystopia that is very funny. It's like if Repo Man and Office Space had a baby, but it offers a deeper and less nihilistic critique of society. It's the best movie I've seen all year, and I'm still thinking about it right now.

-Username17
Nice to see I'm not the only one who was reminded of Repo Man; also reminded me of Bamboozled.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

If nothing else, the destruction of King's Landing was extremely impressive. I don't think I've ever seen a dragon animated so well in TV/cinema.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Eurovision happened. In all honesty the Italian Muslim guy should have won, but they gave the nod to an interchangeable Dutch crooner. Whatever. As expected: the UK came in last place in the final voting, collecting phone-in votes only from Moldova. The real breakout was Hatari from Iceland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTb69WkBbvs

Fuck yes!

-Username17
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I loved Lucifer Season 4!! Nice closure. Great story. If they make more, it would be welcome. If they don't, it ended on a perfect note.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.