[OSSR]Best of the Dragon, vol. I

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Werecatburglar? I assume the intersection of catgirl, lycanthrope and catburglar would be something that got popular attention.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Were catgirls a big thing in the 70s? I generally think of them as being an anime/manga thing, and that didn't really have a big impact on the D&D crowd until later.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

zeruslord wrote:Were catgirls a big thing in the 70s? I generally think of them as being an anime/manga thing, and that didn't really have a big impact on the D&D crowd until later.
Hard to say...
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Ancient History wrote:Page 63 is a full-page advertisement for Fantast Games Unlimited, Inc., which published games like Chivalry & Sorcery. All-knowing wikipedia describes it as an "early competitor to Dungeons & Dragons" and I have never heard of it before now.
I have read that edition of Chivalry & Sorcery; my dad's D&D group played it for a couple years, back in the day, and we still have a copy kicking around somewhere. I can search dad's basement on the weekend and see if it turns up.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

The "choose an attack and a defense then simultaneously reveal" martial arts system is what was used in the original "Top Secret" spy RPG. (If I recall correctly, "Rabbit Puch" was pretty awesome if it didn't get the appropriate block.)
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Trill wrote:
Ancient History wrote:Hell, I could play run this like we did solo Fighting Fantasy gamebooks on In The Trenches if anyone is interested.
sure thing
I'd play ;D.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Very well: The Tomb of Xagyg is live.
LonelyBoy
NPC

Post by LonelyBoy »

Ancient History wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:"Werebears are the most usable type of lycanthrope for player characters."

That seems terribly arbitrary.
I'll admit, I don't follow their logic on this one either, except that in oD&D werebears generally were Lawful and didn't like to spread the disease.
My assumption is "Beorn helped the heroes in The Hobbit, therefor werebears = good".