It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I wrote a thing: http://onanunderwood5.blogspot.com/2019 ... oward.html

I wrote another thing: https://www.blackgate.com/2019/01/14/hi ... the-sword/

I actually write a lot of things, all the time, but they don't always get published.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Ancient History wrote:I wrote a thing: http://onanunderwood5.blogspot.com/2019 ... oward.html

I wrote another thing: https://www.blackgate.com/2019/01/14/hi ... the-sword/

I actually write a lot of things, all the time, but they don't always get published.
You should get a website for all of your Unpublishable writings.

Also, I should get around to reading it more often.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I have multiple websites. Also, a book coming out.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Ess bought a Google Home mini for himself for his birthday. We don't have a smart home. But it's been fantastic for his ADHD because he can ask Google to keep track of shit (before he forgets on the way to writing it down). And it's a lot of fun to ask questions. Also, it gets our child out of bed instantly; Gi loves talking to Google.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, I've got another book coming out:

https://www.hippocampuspress.com/robert ... obby-derie
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Along with my usual "just saying stupid shit sometimes", I'm also at the point of sleep deprivation that I'm not thinking before I speak.

A coworker doesn't know how to ask questions, and I'm still not sure what he wanted to know, but I did helpfully explain the concept of rain to him today: "The water fell from the sky." Whatever, I was doing his job for him because he's too lazy, so he gets what he gets.

Edit: His question was how water got into a hole in the ground; also it rained today. I don't think that's what he meant to ask, but he's kind of in his own world.
Last edited by Iduno on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I had no idea where to put this, but...

Turns out that really obviously bad person who bothered us is bad.

https://m.facebook.com/amandapatriciana ... 5527064252
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Kaelik wrote:I had no idea where to put this, but...

Turns out that really obviously bad person who bothered us is bad.

https://m.facebook.com/amandapatriciana ... 5527064252
He is such piece of shit. Still, these online accusations are really problematic.
Last edited by zugschef on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Should people write this shit up in ye olde Englishe and pin it to the door of their local church? It's 2018, the internet is the dominant medium for printed communication. I don't even understand that complaint.

It's not anonymous. Mandy Morbid is a pseudonym, but it's not a secret identity. That is the name of the public persona she's been living as and working as for something like ten years. You are reading a public statement written and metaphorically signed by a public figure. That doesn't mean you have to believe it (in this case, I do - it wasn't much of a secret that he was a vindictive abusive asshole, it's just a shame to learn he was exactly as monstrous to his 'friends' as he was to his enemies), but it does mean that trying to raise the bar any higher is telling people to shut the fuck up and never ever come forward about their shitty partners/coworkers/whatever.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

It's snowing. We don't usually get snow.
Last edited by Maj on Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Maj wrote:
That looks beautiful, if you ignore the part that covers the driveway.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

And the road. ;)

The transformer on our block popped last night and we lost power. Bless the PUD, they plowed the road up here (we live in town, but on a pretty major hill) and fixed it before we woke up this morning. :maj:
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

And my old laptop gave up and I've gotten a new one to get used to.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Maj wrote:
We get a snow a lot up here in Boston, usually up until or after Spring. Do you want some? 'Cos after 2015, we've become quite sick of it.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Nope! We still have plenty. Thanks!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I wish for some snow.
Yes, i know, southern germany just had its 2m snow but up here in the north? not even cold enough to freeze over lakes <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I've been hesitating to try fathead dough (low carb bread recipe) because I had no faith. But we made a batch of "bagels" this morning that turned out fabulously. They don't have the same chewiness as a real bagel, which I really miss. But they have a really decent bread consistency and really stand up to sandwiching.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Maj wrote:I've been hesitating to try fathead dough (low carb bread recipe) because I had no faith. But we made a batch of "bagels" this morning that turned out fabulously. They don't have the same chewiness as a real bagel, which I really miss. But they have a really decent bread consistency and really stand up to sandwiching.
Bagels and pizza dough are 2 breads that need the chewiness, and suffer the most from being gluten-free. But you might be able to look into gluten-free pizza crusts to find a dough that can fake it better. Possibly (soft) pretzel makers as well, but I'll wager there are significantly more people working on making chewy gluten-free pizzas.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I think it was in a bagel shape so the inside would cook more evenly. And while I do miss the chewy consistency (same for soft pretzels and sourdough crust... Oh, yum!), these were perfect for sandwiches. They were just more like a thick, whole grain kind of bread. But you can add any herbs and such to them so the flavor is as delicious as you want it to be. And they are - hands down - the best substitute for sandwiches. Like would-make-enough-on-the-weekend-to-have-sandwiches-all-week kind of perfect.

The issue isn't gluten. It's carbs. Ess is diabetic. (But due to a fortunate illness at Thanksgiving, he's no longer on insulin!) Our son also has to watch what he eats, so we just low carb for everyone. This means we do end up eating mostly gluten free, but gluten-free stuff can still be way too high on the carb list.

Note: We did go gluten free for a while while I was breastfeeding and during that time, we started using rice flour [from Asia; American stuff is grainy and trash]. It makes an awesome double chocolate cookie, one hell of a beer batter, and is way easier on gravy and whitesauces. So we've stuck with it out of habit.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, there is a strong possibility that I lost my 3DS on a Lyft last Thursday, and I'm kinda freaking the fuck out. I called Lyft and talked to the driver I had, and he said he hadn't seen it. So, there's two possibilities here:

1) I left my 3DS somewhere else, or

2) Some worthless fuck stole my system

Since I've looked pretty much everywhere else, I'm thinking 2 is the most likely.

I'm, like, really fucking depressed. I... I don't know what to do.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Shrapnel wrote:So, there is a strong possibility that I lost my 3DS on a Lyft last Thursday, and I'm kinda freaking the fuck out. I called Lyft and talked to the driver I had, and he said he hadn't seen it. So, there's two possibilities here:

Since I've looked pretty much everywhere else, I'm thinking 2 is the most likely.

This, except you're hopefully a better person than Liam?

Sorry, the only other example I could come up with is the Mel Gibson one.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Or becoming Ra’s Al Ghul over a loss.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

Shrapnel wrote:So, there is a strong possibility that I lost my 3DS on a Lyft last Thursday, and I'm kinda freaking the fuck out. I called Lyft and talked to the driver I had, and he said he hadn't seen it. So, there's two possibilities here:

That sucks. I feel your pain. Something similar happened to me a few years ago. At least Nintendo was able to transfer my eShop games to a new system. I lost all my saves, of course, which was a brutal bummer. The system I lost was the Majora's Mask special edition that I waited in line outside Target at 5am for, so yeah. :/ Replacing it was a bit more expensive than I'd have liked, but fortunately the eBay prices had gone down by the time I needed the replacement.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Iduno wrote:

This, except you're hopefully a better person than Liam?

Sorry, the only other example I could come up with is the Mel Gibson one.
But more seriously, it sucks when your cause of stress also removes a major outlet for that stress. Hopefully everything ends up working out.