Greg Stafford passed away

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Guts
Master

Greg Stafford passed away

Post by Guts »

...last month, in october 11.

I'm a big fan of the guy, and always found him one of the best (if not THE best) designers in the industry. He designed or was directly involved in the creation of Pendragon RPG, Runequest/BRP/Glorantha, Prince Valiant, Ghostbusters, Call of Cthulhu and the King of Dragon Pass videogame, most of which were visionary games for the time they came out.

Any other fan of the guy around here?
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

Me!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Honestly, he always struck me as a guy who got into game design to get laid.

I know. For a certain kind of partner, it works.

And he got into game design as a way to play around with religion reconstruction concepts, and... I can't really hold that against him. When I played RQ, I got really into the "lets dick around with these primatives' religions!" guys, because they were the ones who actually vaguely understood the true potential of magic as it's set up in Glorantha. And I'm constantly sticking demonology and satanism into my games. So. Yeah, I got no room to hold that against him, and I never did have, but I used to hold that against him.

He seemed like a Gygax v2 that wouldn't be insufferable to hang out with. Glorantha was basically a GM Dickstravaganza, but Stafford seemed like that old school pagan philosophy major who would hook you up with some good booze and other substances that at least made him interesting to be around rather than just a complete pain in the ass.

And as much as Glorantha just got on my fucking nuts for it's "science doesn't exist!!11!1!!1!" premise, it was definitely interesting, and way better at what Mage wanted to do than Mage ever was.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Guts
Master

Post by Guts »

Nice words, Prak.

Trying to convince my friends to play a good ol dungeon crawl in Pavis & the Rubble with some beer and snacks in his honor. (well, I'm trying to convince them for a long time actually, but now I have a better excuse hehe)
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Speaking as a moderately big Chaosium fan, Greg Stafford was a fucking boss. He will be missed.
Last edited by Neurosis on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)