Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

K wrote:
tussock wrote:Uh, no, the medieval conservativism was that the way of the world was laid out by God, and that talk of changing anything at all was just the work of the Devil.

US conservatives have held all sorts of opinions, but generally that rich men's business is good business and the mass of poor people needed to do all the real work for them are the only existential threat to society of note. The idea that money should trickle down at all was just "Communism" for most of the 20th century, and thus bad.

Trickle-down is the prerogative term applied by opponents of neoliberalism, starting in the late 70's, where bogus supply-side theories are modified from "low taxes in general help everyone" to even more bogus "low taxes for rich people help everyone".

Though I guess if you're young and don't ever read history, that is "always".
Perhaps you are unaware of the prosperity gospel? Modern and medieval conservationism have a lot in common.

Like Jesus, no bad idea is allowed to die and must be resurrected.
Prosperity Gospel wasn't a medieval belief. It was invented in 19th century America.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think what K means is that the Prosperity Gospel is basically medieval theology resurrected.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

The new Australian PM is a follower of it, where poverty is a moral failing, minorities being poor shows you how they're all cursed by God for being hopeless sinners, and everything CEOs do is obviously saintly, like raiding company pension schemes and defrauding stockholders.

As they say in the US, "but insider trading doesn't even hurt anyone", except, you know, the sinners who God had buy the stocks off you just before they crashed. It's a world free of sin for the economic victor, an extremely amoral religion.

But like, they're still actors, they still have agency and can do things and their actions matter. They believe the poor fail to act appropriately, that is why they are poor.

--

But the high medieval view, way worse. Total Nihilists. Poverty wasn't a moral failure, it was just God's plan for those people. Trying to change that was probably the Devil talking.

Medicine doesn't even work because God either wants to take you or doesn't. Dunking is where if you're innocent, God will save you somehow, but you drowned so you were guilty. Everyone drowned, maybe because God would save them before the dunking chair, who knows, God is a mystery. Torture and disfigurement and horrific executions were the norm, and considered a display of the guilt of the person suffering them because God did not save them. The worse the punishment, the more obvious it was that God would save an innocent person from it.

They weren't kidding at all. All the surviving texts show they were dead serious about being complete Nihilists and believing there were mysterious rules that no one could know (that were also all written in the bible somehow) that dictated everything that would happen no matter what you tried to do. Bad things happened to good people because God was sort of a dick, but that's God, and you worship him or you burn in Hell forever, folk shouldn't stress about being poor because most rich folk will burn in Hell, just is.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

tussock wrote:They weren't kidding at all. All the surviving texts show they were dead serious about being complete Nihilists and believing there were mysterious rules that no one could know (that were also all written in the bible somehow) that dictated everything that would happen no matter what you tried to do. Bad things happened to good people because God was sort of a dick, but that's God, and you worship him or you burn in Hell forever, folk shouldn't stress about being poor because most rich folk will burn in Hell, just is.
Have you read the bible or head a preacher? The Christian God is an asshole, and followers are still encouraged to behave like this. The insane death cult portions of Christianity are the least terrible things about it.

Not surprisingly, Plato's writings about what type of religion (monotheistic religion where none of God's actions are considered bad) would be best at controlling people appear to have been used as a blueprint. I'm sure that's just a coincidence, because magical sky fairy is real, but...
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

If you're not familiar, QAnon is the insane conspiracy theory cobbled together as the alternative to the plain fact that Drumpf is a traitor. The people behind QAnon released their conspiracy map and, man, it's much more insane than I would have expected.

(Spoilered for bigness, crazy.)
In retrospect, I guess it has to get bigger/insaner every time Mango Mussolini says a new thing, from which perspective it isn't that surprising.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:If you're not familiar, QAnon is the insane conspiracy theory cobbled together as the alternative to the plain fact that Drumpf is a traitor. The people behind QAnon released their conspiracy map and, man, it's much more insane than I would have expected.

(Spoilered for bigness, crazy.)
In retrospect, I guess it has to get bigger/insaner every time Mango Mussolini says a new thing, from which perspective it isn't that surprising.
This qualifies as outsider art at very least. My first instinct was to zoom out to check if the color globs formed Pepe, the Daily Dose or yet another 4chan inner joke.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

That sure is...something. I checked out almost immediately, but I gotta wonder, wtf are they talking about with 'Swiss Pharaohs'?
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Hadanelith wrote:That sure is...something. I checked out almost immediately, but I gotta wonder, wtf are they talking about with 'Swiss Pharaohs'?
Y chromosome haplogroup R1b1a2 is very common in Western Europe, especially Switzerland, where about half the men have it.

Genetic testing on King Tut's remains show that he was also haplogroup R1b1a2. Idiots take this to mean that half of Swiss males are related to the Pharaohs. Conspiracy theorists take this to mean that half of all Swiss men are the secret rulers of the world.

Here's an example, if you want to break your brain.

http://co-creatingournewearth.blogspot. ... s-nwo.html
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

I wasn't expecting an actual answer, so thank you. Also...wut. That...I...*brain shatters*

Right, let's NOT pay attention to the absolute nutjobs on the internet. Moving on.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Idiots take this to mean that half of Swiss males are related to the Pharaohs.
The funny thing is, everyone's related to everyone if you go back far enough, and everyone now is totally related to the Pharaohs of Egypt because that is more than far enough.

I mean, we have actual stories of people who were related to the Pharaohs spreading around the world and inter-marrying with local populations while maintaining their ancient link to that relationship, and had done that by 1500 years ago and so we are certainly all their descendants by now. You don't even need that far back, almost everyone is also descended from Mohammed, has to be.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... cist-says/
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

My... my dick is confused.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Shrapnel wrote:My... my dick is confused.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Good old Sailor Moon Cardians
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
I want to kiss that.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Now my soul is confused...
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Ancient History