Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Eikre wrote:
K wrote:
erik wrote:Why was it even a mistake? It seemed like a pretty good trade, some crappy ships for a super capital ship.

Oh, and this.
I think that having The Last Jedi on Netflix is really dangerous. I keep finding fuck-ups in the narrative.

For example, after Ghost-Yoda's whole fucking speech on how the Jedi teachings in the books kinda suck and that Luke should abandon them, and then he uses lightning to set the books on fire to highlight the point, we get to see at one of the end scenes shows that the books are in a drawer that might be Rey's room. Or not.

Why do that? Is the movie really just a mishmash of different versions of the script and the editor just put in stuff that looked cool?
Maybe the cutting makes my take on it less feasible, but I took it as a simple revelation that Rey just outright stole that shit before leaving. She knew she wasn't getting any more meaningful education out of the asshole Jedi has-been and didn't care about burning the bridge with him to get her hands on some primary source documents.

Yoda may have been deliberately covering for Rey by bilking Luke with some zen bullshit about about material detachment, knowing full well he wasn't actually destroying anything of material value. Nice.
The point is that movies and shit express themes.

So when Yoda says all that shit, and it's portrayed as the wise words of an elder that helps resolve Luke's conflict, it sort of undermines the whole "this is the theme" thing to then show that Rey stole the stuff earlier as if that's important, because now it's saying that Rey learning from the shit we just learned was worthless is worthwhile.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Jefepato wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:Anyway, it's been a while since I actually read Bliss Stage, but if I remember correctly sex is probably the worst way to level up your relationship,
I don't see any downsides to using sex in the rules. A given pair of characters need to have sex to get to the highest level of relationship, unless they're related by blood. (Blood relatives get +1 intimacy to their relationship, so they don't need to commit incest to max it out. The book specifically points out that there's no reward for incest...unless your family member is adopted, I guess.)

I would actually like to see a game in which the PCs' powers are derived from relationships in some way, but preferably in a less creepy form than Bliss Stage.
Sex is necessary to reach 5 with non-relatives, but not sufficient. This much is clear. Meaningless sex doesn't actually provide any relationship benefit, the foundations have to be there, as well.

The roleplay heavy nature of interludes and GM-may-I nature of their results makes it very very easy for ill-considered use of one's genitalia to start a cascading spiral of trust breaks and crash multiple relationships.

There's a reason why harem anime protagonists never have sex with anyone. It complicates things.
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

I think things like Bliss Stage or Monster Hearts or whatever other games out there highlight teenagers fucking are meant less as titillation and more as group therapy.

A lot of teens get into messy emotionally fraught physical relationships, but because of the legality and ethics surrounding depictions of underage sex it's a place not a lot of media wants to go. The closest you get are the high school dramas where everyone is played by 25 year olds and no one acts like an actual human being.

So people who have some stuff they want to work through and not a lot of spaces to do it turn to or write games about messy teenage relationships. I'm sure there are some people who play because they get off on the idea of sixteen year olds banging, but in my experience the motive is usually closer to "I was once sixteen and I once banged someone I probably shouldn't have, and I still have a lot of feelings about that I never really processed, and actual therapy is expensive."
Last edited by shinimasu on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

This matches my experience with Monster Hearts. It's Group Relationship Therapy in the form of Collectively Written Twilight Fanfiction.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/death_of_a_nation/

Holy fuck. They actually compare Frump to Lincoln. And they named their movie after Klan propaganda. Just... holy fuck.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Twitter historians have been mauling it for a week or so. It's, yeah, the current nazi spam is that democrats were the racist party in the past, proving they are the racist party now, and anyone calling Trump racist is thus the actual racist. Movie support because Trump pardoned D'Souza for his long list of convictions.

It's garbage memes to prevent people hearing criticism of dear leader, and a worm who got himself out of prison by pandering. At a theatre near you, with botnets upvoting.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Anyone else seen Disenchantment on Netflix? New show by the Simpsons people, reminding you that Simpsons hasn't been entertaining in over a decade.

It's a pretty cool fantasy setting, with some moderately interesting characters, then nothing happens. They just hang out mostly in the city.

The show isn't entertaining in any way. It's not even un-funny jokes that grate on you like Family Guy, it's like they forgot to add plot and jokes at all. The good news is you won't have any reason to stick around long enough to get to the transphobic parts.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I noped out about halfway through the second episode because by far the most entertaining characters were King DGAF and his Lovecraftian second wife, but for some reason I was stuck following teenage rebellion girl and the Least Transgressive Demon.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I prefer to think of Luci as "Fantasy Bender."

I liked it, it was entertaining, even if not particularly innovative.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Iduno wrote:Anyone else seen Disenchantment on Netflix? New show by the Simpsons people, reminding you that Simpsons hasn't been entertaining in over a decade.

It's a pretty cool fantasy setting, with some moderately interesting characters, then nothing happens. They just hang out mostly in the city.

The show isn't entertaining in any way. It's not even un-funny jokes that grate on you like Family Guy, it's like they forgot to add plot and jokes at all. The good news is you won't have any reason to stick around long enough to get to the transphobic parts.
I found it entertaining. It's not Futurama by any means but I did like the show. As far as the transphobic parts, what exactly happens? Most things are transphobic in some way, I want to know if it's transphobic to people going through second puberty x100, transphobic to people pretending to be trans for asspats, or transphobic to actual trans people? The third would be not something I appreciate, the first might be actually offensive, if it's the second I'm going to start quoting it as a shit test for people that want to hang out with me.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote: transphobic to people pretending to be trans for asspats
I'm fairly sure most trans people would find this statement transphobic, because the whole idea of other people's sincerely claimed gender identity being a fair target for skepticism raises the sceptre of their own expressed identity potentially being subject to debate or cross examination. Even if someone does later decide they weren't trans after all, that's detransitioning, which is it's own thing which also has to be respected.

Edit: Not that I'm being one of those pathetic wankers that gets outraged on some entirely hypothetical third parties behalf, I'm not mad at you and don't have a dog in this fight.
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

SlyJohnny wrote:
Edit: Not that I'm being one of those pathetic wankers that gets outraged on some entirely hypothetical third parties behalf, I'm not mad at you and don't have a dog in this fight.
Criticism taken in the spirit in which it was intended. There's a divide in the tumblr trans community between trans that have gender dysphoria and wish to transition, and trans that believe gender dysphoria is transphobic because it implies gender is not just a social construct, and "passing" is inherently wrong. As is the case with vocal tumblr groups they tend to not like each other. I believe gender dysphoria is a real thing, and when someone with a full beard dressed in men's clothes demands to be called a woman I tend to not take anything else they say seriously (at one point the person running the largest Poly group on Facebook was one such person. Not sure what happened, I know they lost a lot of members very quickly).

EDIT: But yeah, my only concern is being misunderstood. If anyone still thinks I'm transphobic then you're entitled to your opinion and I won't argue.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Iduno wrote:Anyone else seen Disenchantment on Netflix? New show by the Simpsons people, reminding you that Simpsons hasn't been entertaining in over a decade.

I watched the first episode and didn't feel much pull to watch more. I wonder if part of the appeal is supposed to be lots of in-jokes? Like, I saw a wall hanging with a squid on it in one scene, and I thought "is that an homage to Zoidberg?". Then the scene where it's said "whores rouge, ladies leech" is maybe a callback to Simpsons?
Last edited by phlapjackage on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Boy I sure do love watching Count explain that a bunch of trans people aren't really trans. This is my favorite thing to see every day.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Kaelik wrote:Boy I sure do love watching Count explain that a bunch of trans people aren't really trans. This is my favorite thing to see every day.
That's an exaggeration. Sometimes it's misogyny or making fun of mentally handicapped people. Or whining about how his life is a shitshow, and not realizing his personality is the reason.

I'd feel bad about complaining, but it fits the thread (I do come to the Gaming Den for entertainment).
Count Arioch the 28th
King

You sound like a girl who is retarded. You're almost as obnoxious as that guy who punched me in my freakishly oversized dick 15 times just because I pointed out his mother was a whore.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I doubt the veracity of that claim, Count. Not the dick-size part, but the guy hitting you there 15 times. Usually the number of times you nut-punch a dude for calling your mother a whore is eleven. Are you sure you counted correctly?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Honestly, after the 2nd or 3rd time I kind of blacked out.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Kaelik wrote:Boy I sure do love watching Count explain that a bunch of trans people aren't really trans. This is my favorite thing to see every day.
https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/mistr ... p-20171002
Adult babies aren't children. Rachel Dolezal Nkechi Diallo isn't black. Male crossdressers in "women's" clothes aren't women.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Eddie Izzard wrote:I don't wear women's clothing. I bought this dress, it is mine. And I wear it.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Starmaker wrote:
https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/mistr ... p-20171002
Adult babies aren't children. Rachel Dolezal Nkechi Diallo isn't black. Male crossdressers in "women's" clothes aren't women.
Hi, you are literal human garbage and the world will be better off when you are no longer in it.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

So is anyone going to explain what parts of Disenchantment were transphobic? Just wondering, no one has supported that claim yet.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There's a divide in the tumblr trans community between trans that have gender dysphoria and wish to transition, and trans that believe gender dysphoria is transphobic because it implies gender is not just a social construct, and "passing" is inherently wrong. As is the case with vocal tumblr groups they tend to not like each other. I believe gender dysphoria is a real thing, and when someone with a full beard dressed in men's clothes demands to be called a woman I tend to not take anything else they say seriously (at one point the person running the largest Poly group on Facebook was one such person. Not sure what happened, I know they lost a lot of members very quickly).
I'm acquainted with a bearded guy who prances around in booty shorts, long socks and a corset, plus an ugly fedora. He seems just as cringe inducingly sincere about it as any other trans or genderfluid person I've encountered. Is he or she (or whatever pronoun they use right now) part of the second group, or the first?

I don't know, if there really are a legion of people who are insincerely assuming that identity solely for internet kudos than I guess I'll take your word for it, but it seems simplistic to be grading people on how much effort they spend on passing as one gender exclusively
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Impossible to tell without knowing more about the person. I've known a lot of cisgendered people who liked to mess with the gender binary but did not consider themselves trans in any way (in fact, accusing men of being trans for the slightest noncompliance with the gender binary is toxic masculinity in a nutshell). Does he have an actual gender dysphoria diagnosis? (self-DX absolutely does not count).
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Count, you know fuck all about trans people. Your opinion is shit and it makes me think less of you. Please, stop embarrassing yourself.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.