Lesser-Known Gamebooks: Sagas of the Demonspawn

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Lesser-Known Gamebooks: Sagas of the Demonspawn

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Hell. Fucking. Yes.

This book. Indeed, this series. Surprisingly well-written, bizarrely cumbersome system. And I don't mean bizarrely cumbersome for a choosable-path-adventure book. There are eight stats, generated by 2d6x8 to produce a percentage value, and then all added together for your life point total, which is going to be three digits. Initiative in combat is 2d6+Speed+Courage+Luck. Yes, 2-12 plus three numbers that might be anywhere from 16-96 each! There's a fatigue mechanic in the combat system.

Anyway, despite this obvious insanity, I invite you to join me on a journey through them. I'll do the math.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Rules of Combat
• First strike is determined by an opposed 2d6+Speed+Courage+Luck roll.
• Parties then take turns whacking each other.
• Attack roll is 2d6, TN 7. A combatant gets +1 to hit for each full 10 points of Skill they have, and another +1 if their Luck is 72 or more.
• Damage is (MoS on the attack roll*10)+(Strength/8)+Weapon modifier-Armor modifier.
• After fighting for Stamina/10 (round down) rounds, a person cannot attack for the next two rounds as they get their breath back.
• Defeat/death is at 0 Life Points.
• If your PC dies in combat, you can roll 2d6*8, and if you get less than your luck you get a mulligan on the whole fight.
Weapon Modifiers
Arrow+10
Axe+15
Club+8
Dagger+5
Flail+7
Halbert+12
Lance+12
Mace+14
Spear+12
Sword+10

Armor Modifiers
Chain mail-8
Leather armor-5
Plate mail-12
Shield (w/out armor)-7
Shield (w/ armor)-5

Intro:
You are Fire*Wolf. Young, strong, handsome and barbaric. A man of lusts and tempers, arrogant in your certainties.

This old man, this Baldar, has challenged you and that is enough. You bear him no ill-will despite the crack on your ankle, but all the same he must be taught a lesson. That is the Wilderness Way, your Way.

But will the lesson be quite so easy as you imagine, Fire*Wolf? On page 248 you will find Baldar's stats which will help you to calculate the outcome of this small battle. They are perhaps higher than you thought. Your first lesson: in Horn, things are not always as they seem.

This will not, of course, be a fight to the death. When LIFE POINTS on either side are reduced to 50 or below surrender will be automatic. Even a freak blow which reduces LIFE POINTS to zero will not cause death here.
Fire*Wolf Stats:
Strength: 88
Speed: 48
Stamina: 80
Courage: 56
Skill: 0*
Luck: 24
Charm: 48
Attraction: 88
Life Points: 432
(First strike modifier: +128)

*We get +1 Skill per battle we win.
Baldar Stats:
Strength: 48
Speed: 36
Stamina: 90
Courage: 90
Skill: 44
Luck: 48
Charm: 40
Attraction: 16
Life Points: 412
(First strike modifier: +174)
To battle!
Editing fail! There's no entry for staves in the weapon table. I'll substitute clubs.
First strike goes to Baldar with no roll needed.
Round 1: Baldar 10+4, hits for 70+6+8, we're at 348. Fire*Wolf 6, miss.
Round 2: Baldar 3+4, hits for 0+6+8, We're at 334. Fire*Wolf 6, miss.
Round 3: Baldar 5+4, hits for 20+6+8, we're at 300. Fire*Wolf 9, hits for 20+11+8, he's at 373.
Round 4: Baldar 4+4, Hits for 10+6+8, we're at 276. Fire*Wolf 7, hits for 0+11+8, he's at 354
Round 5: Baldar 5+4, hits for 20+6+8, we're at 242. Fire*Wolf 10, hits for 30+11+8, he's at 305.
Round 6: Baldar 11+4, hits for 80+6+8, we're at 148. Fire*Wolf 5, miss.
Round 7: Baldar 11+4, hits for 80+6+8, we're at 54. Fire*Wolf 10, hits for 30+11+8, he's at 256.
Round 8: Baldar 5+4, hits for 20+6+8, we're at 20 and surrender.
Baldar placed a skinny mocking foot on Fire*Wolf's broad chest, grinning down at the big Barbarian as he lay on the rough ground. 'There, my fine angry friend. Even youth and rage are no match for experience. But take heart: I was a practiced fighter in my early days and the skills are never lost.' He removed his foot and held out a hand to help Fire*Wolf upright. 'I hear it is the custom of the Wilderness Barbarians to grant a man a favor if he bests you in combat. Is that true?'

'True enough,' Fire*Wolf admitted sourly. He dusted himself off, no longer angry at the hermit, but angry at himself that he had allowed the other to best him.

'In that case,' Baldar said, 'I shall claim a favor from you. Will you run an errand for me to Belgardium?'

'Belgardium?' Fire*Wolf asked. 'The name is unfamiliar to me.'

'As all civilized names must be unfamiliar to you, Fungus Feeder,' Baldar said shortly. 'It is a place where once I had my roots. Come into the cave and I shall tell you why I wish you to go there.'

He turned and walked towards the cave mouth. Bound by the Wilderness tradition, Fire*Wolf had no option but to follow.
In the cave, Baldar stretched out on the straw, as if his exertions had taken more of his energy than had been immediately apparent. Nonetheless, his voice was strong enough as he said, 'Do not think because you find me scratching on the edges of the Wilderness like a nomad that I was always thus, Fire*Wolf. I prefer my own company, as you know. But it may be that I should never have discovered this were it not for a series of misfortunes which befell me many years ago.

'I was a young man once, headstrong and tough, even as you are. I left the village where I was born and ventured into the world of Ham to make my fortune. Fate took me to Belgardium where I did indeed prosper, but at the expense of others, so that I made certain enemies, some highly placed. Not that this worried me. I was, as I say, headstrong. I was also in love: a great distraction from practical matters. I married the woman after some difficulties with her family and we lived happily for two years before she died bearing our first and only child, a daughter we had decided to name Yalena.

'The birth of Yalena gave me little joy - I was too heartbroken at the loss of my wife. I placed the child in care and plunged into my business activities in order to dull the pain. At that time, perceiving me weak and distracted, my most powerful enemies struck against me. The details are unimportant. Enough to tell you that I was forced to flee, leaving Yalena behind and taking with me only a tiny fraction of my amassed fortune. Even this I quickly lost so that for a time I wandered Harn surviving on my wits and, later, on my developed skill as a fighter. I sent many a good man beyond the Veil of Death in those days, Fire*Wolf, for I was both bitter and vicious.

'But the time came when I grew tired of killing, and more tired still of those who hired me to kill. I met an old woman, who must be long dead now. Her name was Coranna, although few knew it: they called her the Witch, sometimes the Oracle. I was a disbeliever in those days, but I found she had the Power all right. She read my past as a monk might read a scroll and though we had little in common, befriended me. It was she who sent me here to the Wilderness edge, having seen by her Arts that certain of my old enemies still pursued me and would assuredly take my life.

'Coranna predicted I would end my days here by the edge of the Wilderness, but that I would live happier while I lived here than at any time previously. I believed neither prediction then, although I believe them both now. A life such as I lead changes a man, makes him strong and self-sufficient, grants him vision and philosophy. These gifts are more precious than gold, Fire*Wolf; and ultimately more satisfying even than adventure.

'So you find me. And at any other time you would find me uncaring of the world and its woes. But a day and a night before you stumbled half-dead over my horizon, I had a dream. I dreamed of my daughter, Yalena, now a woman and as beautiful as her mother ever was. I dreamed great danger threatened her, although the nature of the danger I could not divine. In my dream I knew that if her life was to be saved she must be hidden in a place so dangerous that no man would dare to follow her. The name of this place was revealed to me as Kraal.'

'Kraal?' echoed Fire*Wolf, captivated by the old man's tale.

'Its nature and location are unknown to me,' Baldar admitted, 'although I have travelled more widely than most in Harn. Nonetheless, I know it to exist for I know I dreamed true.'

'How is it that you know you dreamed true, Old Man?' Fire*Wolf asked cautiously.

'Because I saw another in my dream alongside fair Yalena. I saw a fierce young Fungus Eater from the cold caves of the Deep Wilderness. I saw you, Fire*Wolf: and did you not come to me, half-dead though you were, in a day and a night?' He leaned forward, face and voice betraying his anxiety for the first time. 'Will you travel to Belgardium, Fire*Wolf? Will you seek out Yalena and take her from that cursed place? Will you undertake to find the place called Kraal and hide her there? Will you, Fire*Wolf? Will you?'

Will you, Fire*Wolf? Will you accept the tangled web of Fate offered by this ancient hermit? You are free to refuse, to seek your destiny elsewhere. What do you really owe this Baldar? A fortuitous drink of water? A taste of nauseating food? But make up your own mind, Fire* Wolf.

• Undertake the task Baldar wishes to set you?
• Refuse him?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Accept the quest.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Accept.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Thus, Fire* Wolf the Wilderness Barbarian, already exiled from the only home he ever knew, left the rude cave of Baldar the Hermit on a mission which was to carry him to broader horizons than he ever suspected existed.

He carried with him his sword, his bow and twenty arrows, a filled waterskin to see him safely through what remained of the Wilderness, some dried provisions although Baldar assured him that hunting-gathering would soon be possible) and two additional small gifts from Baldar. The first of these was a purse containing ten of the small golden coins which were, so Baldar assured him, the common currency of Harn, and a slim-bladed dagger, poison-tipped, lest anyone attempted to steal his gold. He had accepted the dagger with reluctance, at Baldar's insistence. He disliked the idea of poison, for such weapons went contrary to all he had been taught to believe in the Wilderness. But he took it to please the old man and promised himself it would never be used, except in direst emergency.

In his head, Fire*Wolf carried instructions. Baldar had offered to draw him a map on cloth, but Fire*Wolf was unfamiliar with such things and preferred the Wilderness Way of memory. As Baldar described the landmarks, Fire*Wolf pictured them in his mind, linking each, with each and had only to conjure the same vision as he walked in order to find his place.

For a day and a night the going remained rough, but gradually, as Baldar had promised, the Wilderness edge gave way to shrub, then grassland increasingly fertile. saw game and eventually, as his small stock of provisions ran out, was forced to hunt. He proved skilful enough: all children of the Wilderness, male and female, were taught archery from childhood on account of the frequent wars between the various stone villages, and animals were easier prey than people for at least they did not shoot back. His main concern was eating meat, which revolted him even when cooked as Baldar had shown him. A lifelong diet of fungus had conditioned his palate so that even vegetables seemed repulsive. But in the Wilderness Way he was a realist. If there was no fungus, then meat and vegetables it would have to be. He did, however, supplement his diet with a worthy supply of maggots and grubs - delicacies far more plentiful here than anywhere in the
Wilderness.

For almost four days, Fire*Wolf travelled without encountering a soul. Then, on the afternoon of the fourth day. . .

The ways of Fate are strange, Fire*Wolf. Roll one (only) die.
• If the roll is 1 or 2...
• If the roll is 3 or 4... √
• If the roll is 5 or 6...
At first it was no more than a prickling sensation on the nape of the neck. But Fire*Wolf had learned to trust his instincts and stopped his steady trot to glance around, senses straining.

He saw nothing, but at the instant of his stopping thought he heard a sound. He froze, listening intently. Wind sighed through the grass beneath his feet. He half turned, reaching for his sword.

And then the constrictor lizard was upon him.

Poor Fire*Wolf. The constrictor lizard is one of the less pleasant denizens of the wilder reaches of Harn. It is a creature similar to a snake, up to eighteen feet long, and scaled. Calculate the outcome of the fight, allowing the constrictor first strike, for Fire*Wolf was undoubtedly surprised.
Stats:
ScoreFire*WolfConstrictor Lizard
Strength8896
Speed4820
Stamina8055
Courage5680
Skill025
Luck2416
Charm482
Attraction880
Life Points432294

To battle!
Editing fail! We haven't been told to restore our Life Points, but I'm going to anyway.
Apparently the constrictor relies solely on strength and has no natural weapons even the match of a dagger, which is nice for us.
Round 1: Lizard 6+2, hits for 10+12, we're at 410. Fire*Wolf 10, hits for 30+11+10 (sword), it's at 243.
Round 2: Lizard 8+2, hits for 30+12, we're at 368. Fire*Wolf 4, misses.
Round 3: Lizard 7+2, hits for 20+12, we're at 336. Fire*Wolf 9, hits for 20+11+10, it's at 202.
Round 4: Lizard 12+2, hits for 70+12, we're at 254. Fire*Wolf 9, hits for 20+11+10, it's at 161.
Round 5: Lizard 7+2, hits for 20+12, we're at 222. Fire*Wolf 4, misses.
Round 6: Lizard is tired! Fire*Wolf 5, misses.
Round 7: Lizard is tired! Fire*Wolf 11, hits for 40+11+10, it's at 100.
Round 8: Lizard 6+2, hits for 10+12, we're at 200. Fire*Wolf 6, misses.
Round 9: Lizard 3+2, misses. Fire*Wolf is tired!
Round 10: Lizard 3+2, misses. Fire*Wolf is tired!
Round 11: Lizard 6+2, hits for 10+12, we're at 178. Fire*Wolf 9, hits for 20+11+10, it's at 59.
Round 12: Lizard 6+2, hits for 10+12, we're at 156. Fire*Wolf 7, hits for 0+11+10, it's at 38.
Round 13: Lizard is tired! Fire*Wolf 9, hits for 20+11+10, it's defeated!
(Add one point to Fire*Wolf's SKILL for each opponent killed.)

The encounter was a salutary lesson for Fire*Wolf for though he survived, he did not survive unscathed. His chest and abdomen were both cut and slashed quite badly. He felt weak from loss of blood. Worst of all, there was a sharp pain in his lungs when he walked, suggesting the real possibility of a cracked rib. But the Wilderness-bred body was tough and Fire*Wolf was nothing if not stoical, so he rested a little then pressed on slowly. He was, he knew, still some considerable distance from Belgardium.

The morning of the fifth day found his mind clearer after a fitful night's sleep, but his body weak. Although the weather was warm, he found himself shivering a little as he pushed himself painfully to his feet and wondered if his wounds might have become infected. By mid-morning with the sun high, he knew he was running a fever. He felt alternately hot and chill. Even small exertions exhausted him. Nonetheless, he pushed his reluctant body forward.

By evening he had travelled only a few miles and knew, with growing certainty, that unless he found help there was a very real possibility that the fight he had so recently won might yet prove his greatest defeat.

The grassland he was crossing gradually gave way to rougher ground so that he had to rest more and more frequently. Although he had not eaten that day, he could not hunt and even the prospect of rooting for grubs or maggots seemed beyond his immediate capabilities. His mind, so clear in the morning time, grew confused so that he began to lose his sense of direction. Eventually even his sense of purpose narrowed. He no longer searched for the mental landmarks which pointed his route to Belgardium. Instead his whole mind concentrated on the more immediate difficulties of placing one foot before the other.

Towards sunset, he topped a ridge and found himself looking out across a river valley. With no set purpose in mind, he began to stumble downwards. In his befuddled state, he did not even see the assailant who struck the blow which rendered him unconscious.

Fire*Wolf lies in darkness, visionary fragments flitting in a slow kaleidoscope through his fevered mind. A woman's face, sad but beautiful. . . an army fighting flying demons. .. the figure of a childhood friend from the stone village. Darkness.
THE SLAVE

'Easy now, Big Fellow,' a gruff, but not unkindly voice murmured in Fire*Wolf's ear.

There was a foul taste in his mouth, his head ached as if it had been split through the centre with an axe. Worse still, the World seemed to be in motion like a ship at sea. He became aware of a dull ache in his thighs and backside.

Fire*Wolf opened his eyes, shook his head painfully to clear away the mental fog.

'Easy now,' the gruff voice said again.

He was astride a horse, hands bound behind his back, ankles roped together with a bond which passed beneath the belly of the animal. Two powerful arms flanked him, holding the reins; and a hard, muscular body pressed into his back. He could hear the clink of harness, smell the sweat of beasts and men. He turned his head slightly to discover he was part of a caravan of mounts, wagons, heavily black-bearded and black-cloaked horsemen, and walking men, women and children.

Fire*Wolf half turned to catch a glimpse of the black-bearded figure on the mount behind him.

'Steady,'said the man.

'Where am I?' Fire*Wolf asked. 'Who are you?'

'Me?' came the gruff voice. I'm Tojar. Do you have a name you can remember?'

'Fire*Wolf,' Fire*Wolf muttered. He allowed himself to slump forward in the saddle and slurred his voice as if still only semi-conscious, but already his mind was racing as he attempted to identify his situation. One thing was immediately clear. He was a prisoner.

'That's a Wilderness name by the sound of it. You from the Wilderness then?'

Fire*Wolf grunted.

'Don't find many from the Wilderness in these reaches,' Tojar remarked. 'But you have the accent, that's for sure, even if you don't have the typical look.' To someone further down the line he called, 'You were right, Baj. We've got us a Wilderness Barbarian here.'

'He'll fetch a good price in Xanthus if we can keep him alive,' Baj called back. 'Especially now they're expecting trouble. His race has a reputation for breeding fighters.'

Head bowed, Fire*Wolf took in the conversation word for word. The 'good price' comment told him all he needed to know. Weakly, he asked again, 'Where are we?'

'On the trail to Xanthus,' Tojar told him. 'Know where that is?'

'No,' Fire*Wolf admitted. Not that it mattered, since he had no intention of ever arriving there. Not ever and certainly not as a slave.

'Second largest city in Harn next to the capital,' Tojar said. 'Largest port and largest market. You'll find it a bit different from the caves you're used to.'

Fire*Wolf did not doubt it. Aloud, he asked, 'How long before we get there?'

'Two weeks' march. Time enough for you to get your strength back.'

In fact, despite the aching head and stiffness in his hands and fingers where the tight bindings had cut off the blood supply, he felt far stronger than he had done before his capture. The foul taste in his mouth, bitter and pungent, suggested he had been given some herbal healing brew. If so, it seemed to have done sterling work. He was far from fully recovered, but the intermittent fever seemed to have abated and the weakness in his legs was far less pronounced.

All the same, he allowed himself to slump still further and lapsed into silence. Whatever the reality, it was important his captors did not realize the truth of his condition. They would be far less watchful if they thought him weak and ill.

The caravan travelled for several hours without incident, then, at sunset, halted to pitch camp for the night. Tojar released the bindings from Fire*Wolf's ankles and led him to a communal yurt pitched for those who had been travelling on foot. They were a motley collection, mainly women and children with only a few dispirited men. None cared to speak to him and few even bothered to meet his eye. The fact that guards were posted round the yurt told Fire*Wolf that these were his fellow slaves.

As the yurt flap closed, he began to twist the bonds around his wrists.

'Don't do that,' one of the older women cautioned. 'They flog you if you untie yourself without permission.' She herself was not bound. He noticed that, in fact, few were. The ropes had been reserved for the larger, more dangerous-looking captives like himself.

'Thank you,' Fire*Wolf murmured. He sought out a space in the large tent and lay down to rest and think. Those around him seemed placid, inured to their fate, but that was their choice. Fire*Wolf himself had no plans to languish with this slaver caravan until it reached the port of Xanthus. At the same time, he needed to lay his escape plans carefully. Stronger though he was, he was not yet fully recovered. Tojar and the other black-bearded slavers were relaxed enough, obviously anticipating little trouble. All the same, they were professionals in their trade and as such would always be on the alert and know how to deal with those attempting to escape. To be successful, timing would be all important.

But how much time did he have? Two weeks to reach Xanthus, but would the slavers remain relaxed as they were now? He might have to choose between taking action now, before he reached full strength, or waiting to recover fully and run the risk that when the time came, security precautions might be far more stringent.

His thoughts were interrupted by the sudden entrance into the yurt of the man, Baj. Like all the slavers, he was dark-eyed and black-bearded, wearing the black cloak over clothing of warm, dark homespun. He looked a powerful man, broad-shouldered and muscular, although smaller in height than Fire*Wolf. He stood silhouetted in the entrance for a moment, staring arrogantly around the prisoners. Something about his gait or carriage suggested he might be just a little drunk.

'You there!' Baj called. He walked forward into the packed mass of slaves, unmindful of attack, as if he knew their spirit to be truly broken. 'You there!' he said again. 'You'll join me tonight!' He was standing before a young girl, scarcely more than sixteen or seventeen years old, with the fair hair and complexion of Northern Ham. She shrank away, eyes wide, as he reached for her.

'No!'

The cry came from an older woman, who pushed between Baj and the girl. But the burly man swept her aside easily with one rough movement of his arm. 'Come on, my pretty,' he said to the young girl. 'A man needs a little relaxation on a journey like this.'

The girl screamed as he gripped her arm and began to drag her towards the entrance of the yurt. No one moved to stop him: this was obviously a regular occurrence.

In the corner of the yurt, Fire*Wolf tucked his feet beneath him and rose, hands still bound, in a single, fluid movement.

You are Fire*Wolf. Barbarian fire is rising in your veins at the treatemnt of this young girl. Your instincts insist you must attack this man: yet your hands remain bound, you have no weapons, and your body has not fully recovered from your last combat.

• Follow your instincts and attack?
• Let events take their course without interfering?
That's an unusually overt sexual assault scenario for a gamebook. It might be especially surprising if you were sharp-eyed and noticed that this book is by the same author as the GrailQuest series. Also, I hope we get a better decision-point/text ratio in the future.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Huh, I was thinking of running this series myself, but put off by the massive text dumps and overly complicated rules. Only vaguely remember the plot, though, don't remember this bit, so I vote for attack.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Let's try to stop the literal sexual assault slaver.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Hardly a difficult moral choice here. We're obviously intended to try to stop it.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

The text was literally just banging on about how crucial timing is going to be and how they're used to beating down half-assed escape attempts. I think we're supposed to just let this play out and be sad and angry.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

With an animal growl deep in his throat, Fire*Wolf launched himself across the yurt in a flying dropkick that connected heavily and violently with Baj's back. The slaver released the girl, stumbled and fell heavily. Fire*Wolf, hands still bound, rolled nimbly to his feet and kicked again, viciously, as Baj shook himself and began to climb upright. The second kick took the slaver in the throat, spinning him almost totally around, but he was tough and recovered quickly.

Baj backed away warily and drew his sword. 'Guards!' he called hoarsely. 'To me!'

Fire*Wolf remained immobile – Angry or not, he knew better than to tackle a sword with bare hands - and those hands tied. In such circumstances, patience was the Wilderness Way.

The yurt filled with more than a dozen guards, black-bearded and black-cloaked twins of Baj himself.

The Barbarian attacked me,' Baj explained. With his comrades present, he relaxed his guard and dropped his sword point. 'We'd better ...'

At once, Fire*Wolf acted. A third kick, carrying the full force of his whole body, caught Baj directly in the groin so that he bent double, retched, vomited, then tumbled, eyes glazed, to the ground.

Fire*Wolf made no movement to resist as the guards seized him and dragged him roughly from the tent. There was no doubt in his mind that the slavers would punish him - perhaps even kill him - for his attack on their colleague. But for the moment his Barbarian soul was content. Baj would be in no condition to pleasure himself with any reluctant woman that night, or for many nights to come.

Is it death for Fire*Wolf following his rash attack? Follow him now to where his immediate fate awaits him.
(Add one point to Fire*Wolf's SKILL.)

They dragged him to the outskirts of the encampment, where any screams he might make would disturb no one, and flogged him.

The punishment was administered without rancour, but with a dreadful efficiency which peeled the skin from his back and caused a flood of pain which, though it failed to make him scream, sent his senses reeling. Then, when it was over, he was carried back to the slave yurt barely conscious. They dropped him unceremoniously in a heap beside the flap and left without a backwards glance. This was, it seemed, routine for the slavers, an efficient means of ensuring troublemakers learned to make no trouble in the future. No wonder the other prisoners were subdued.

Fire*Wolf could not say how long he lay there, teetering on the edge of blackness, before he felt a gentle hand upon his arm, heard a quiet voice beside his ear.

'Are you alive, Barbarian?'

'Alive?' whispered Fire*Wolf hoarsely. 'Alive, aye, if only barely.' He turned painfully to find himself looking into the face of the older woman who had tried to save the girl. Behind her he could just make out the shadowy form of the girl herself.

'I am Jaen,' the woman said, 'mother of Jara, the girl you saved.'

Fire*Wolf grunted.

'Baj is a pig,' Jaen said. 'They all are, these slavers. I wished to thank you, and to express my sorrow at the pain your actions have brought you.'

Fire*Wolf shrugged, a movement which sent jagged spikes of pain through his bleeding back. 'My actions are my own responsibility,' he said.

'Your actions were on my daughter's behalf. For that I thank you and beg you to accept this gift.' With which she pressed a small pouch into Fire*Wolf's hand, unbound now since the flogging.

'There is no need...' Fire*Wolf began. But his words came too late, for Jaen had faded into the darkness of the yurt.

Fire*Wolf turned on his side and tried to compose himself for sleep, sinking deep into that central stillness which shielded him from pain. But despite his Barbarian resilience, he slept fitfully, and in the night was fully awakened by a presence beside him in the darkness, a small, gentle hand which caressed him.

'Here, Barbarian,' a girl's voice whispered. 'Have that comfort which I denied the slaver.'

While Fire*Wolf was convinced that, in his pain and his exhaustion, he was in no state whatsoever to take that which was offered, time and the patient ministrations of those gentle hands proved Fire*Wolf wrong. He awoke at dawn to the sound of shouted orders from the slavers as they prepared to break camp. He was alone now where he lay, but the small leather pouch Jaen had given him lay on the ground beside him. He glanced inside and found a single, highly polished, rounded stone, jet black, veined with emerald green and quite unlike anything he had ever seen. It was not a gemstone, not even one of the many semi-precious stones which served as ornamentation for the poorer classes. But as he handled it, a curious feeling of well-being stole through his aching frame. In a moment the sensation peaked, then receded, leaving him stronger than before, with less stiffness in his muscles, less pain in his back.

Thoughtfully, he placed the stone back in its leather pouch and hid it in his loincloth where the guards were unlikely to find it. Fortune sometimes favours the brave, it seems. For gallant Fire*Wolf is now the owner of a sorcerous artifact, a healing stone which will, between rounds of combat, permit him to regain a single die roll of lost LIFE POINTS. The Healing Stone contains 50 LIFE POINTS in all, but will recharge itself in 48 hours after combat is over. The stone may only be used to regain lost LIFE POINTS not to generate excess.
The scale of life points and damage makes this stone of dubious value.
'Out! Out!' the slaver guard called from the mouth of the yurt, the morning sun streaming in behind him. Fire*Wolf rose with the rest and filed out placidly. He had reached a decision in the night. Nothing was to be gained by direct confrontation. The best plan must be to lull these slavers into a sense of false security, persuade them that he was beaten and resigned, then strike when they least expected it.

It was a plan that called for patience, but patience was the Wilderness Way.

For two more days, Fire*Wolf grew increasingly placid and subdued, obeying orders quickly, making no overtly aggressive gesture. But all the time he remained watchful, awaiting his opportunity.

It arose on the morning of the third day, in an environment similar to that in which he had been captured. The caravan was approaching a river valley but here the entrance to the valley was narrow, steep and perilous, forcing the slavers to ride in single file.

They were obviously well accustomed to this part of their journey, for, without a word being spoken, the guards separated into two groups, one taking the vanguard, the other the rear, with the prisoners strung out between them. The narrow track was rocky and strewn with rubble, so that the horses had to pick their way carefully, slowly. To the right loomed the valley wall. To the left, a steep decline, strewn with boulders, dropping down to the valley itself.

From this high vantage point, it was possible to see a great distance. What Fire*Wolf saw interested him greatly. The main feature of the valley was a broad, slow river, flanked on one side by forest, on the other by swamp. Portions were enshrouded by heavy mists and twice he thought he caught a glimpse of a grey stone building, a fortress, keep or castle - he could not be sure which. Thick undergrowth carpeted the valley floor at the bottom of the hill, blending eventually into the heavy, sodden vegetation of the swamps. It all meant one thing. If a man could make his escape here with even a few moments' headway, the chances of his recapture would be slim indeed.

Fire*Wolf was unbound. His placid mien and patient obedience had done their work. No slaver expected trouble from this Barbarian now despite his size. But a scheme was already formulating in his mind.

He was at full strength now, his earlier injuries no more than old scar tissue on his massive frame. All the same, no one would have suspected it, for he had taken great care to move slowly, painfully over the past days. It had been only a ruse to keep his captors off their guard, but now he put it to good account. As the caravan progressed at a crawl to within a few hundred feet of the valley floor, Fire*Wolf chose his spot. He clutched his abdomen and screamed, then pitched forward close to the track edge, writhing as if seized by cramps. Then, abruptly, he turned on to his back, allowing his eyes to open wide and glaze. He held his body rigid and waited.

The gods favoured Fire*Wolf that day, for it was Baj who came to investigate the trouble. So well had Fire*Wolf succeeded in assuming the demeanour of the dejected slave that Baj did not even trouble to draw a precautionary weapon as he bent to examine the prostrate Barbarian.

As he stooped, Fire*Wolf took him by the throat.

Brave Fire*Wolf, an unforgiving man in the Barbarian Way. But cunning too, for it will take some time before the remaining guards can negotiate the narrow path to come to the aid of their companion. The fight is one to one here. Check Baj's combat stats and calculate the outcome. Baj will not be able to use a weapon. It is a fight with bare hands, to the death.
To battle!
The text is pretty clear that we've healed up, but it'd be nice to have it made explicit.
ScoreFire*WolfBaj
Strength8860
Speed4850
Stamina8048
Courage5655
Skill216
Luck2440
Charm4820
Attraction8825
Life Points432314

Baj has first strike with no roll needed. Also, uuuugghh, weaponless fights are gonna crawl by.
Round 1: Baj 9+1, hits for 30+7, we're at 395. Fire*Wolf 8, hits for 10+11, he's at 293. *Healstone* We're at 400.
Round 2: Baj 5+1, misses. Fire*Wolf 11, hits for 40+11, he's at 242. *Healstone* We're at 405.
Round 3: Baj 10+1, hits for 40+7, we're at 358. Fire*Wolf 6, misses. *Healstone* We're at 360.
Round 4: Baj 8+1, hits for 20+7, we're at 333. Fire*Wolf 8, hits for 10+11, he's at 221. *Healstone* We're at 337.
Round 5: Baj is tired! Fire*Wolf 4, misses. *Healstone* We're at 340.
Round 6: Baj is tired! Fire*Wolf 10, hits for 30+11, he's at 180. *Healstone* We're at 343
Round 7: Baj 6+1, hits for 0+7, we're at 336. Fire*Wolf 2, misses. *Healstone* We're at 340.
Round 8: Baj 6+1, hits for 0+7, we're at 333. Fire*Wolf 6, misses. *Healstone* We're at 335.
Round 9: Baj 5+1, misses. Fire*Wolf is tired. *Healstone* We're at 337.
Round 10:Baj 5+1, misses. Fire*Wolf is tired. *Healstone* We're at 338.
Round 11: Baj is tired! Fire*Wolf 10, hits for 30+11, he's at 139. *Healstone* We're at 339.
Round 12: Baj is tired! Fire*Wolf 8, hits for 10+11, he's at 118. *Healstone* We're at 345.
Round 13: Baj is tired! Fire*Wolf 12, hits for 50+11, he's at 57. *Healstone* We're at 348.
Round 14: Baj 10+1, hits for 40+7, we're at 301. Fire*Wolf 11, hits for 40+11, he's at 6. *Healstone* We're at 302.
Round 15: Baj 6+1, hits for 0+7, we're at 295. Fire*Wolf 8, hits for 10+11, he's defeated!
The instant Baj went limp, Fire*Wolf jerked away from the corpse. He leapt to the edge of the track and jumped to slide, stumble and roll down the steep decline into the valley. Behind him he could hear the excited shouts of the slavers - and not a little encouragement from his fellow slaves.

He had hoped his surprise move might have given him a few moments head start. The decline was too steep for the horses so he knew that the slavers would have to follow him on foot. But in the event, he reached the bottom, cut and bruised, with no pursuit at all. One of the black cloaks loosed a desultory arrow, which flew far wide of its mark, but the remainder neither fired nor attempted to follow.

Fire*Wolf plunged into the cover of the undergrowth, then paused to watch. To his amazement, there was still no pursuit. Those slavers who had dismounted in the excitement now climbed back into their saddles and in a moment, the caravan was moving on as if nothing had happened. He noticed now for the first time that the track it was following did not lead down into the valley itself, but rather skirted the edge before rising again, then twisting so that the mounted figures and their walking captives were soon completely out of sight.

The development disturbed Fire* Wolf far more than the pursuit he had expected. To the slavers he was valuable property. Only a day before he had heard Tojar discussing the prices of fighting slaves at Xanthus. They had always been high, apparently, and now, with some sort of national emergency declared, they had doubled overnight. Yet for Fire* Wolf, escape had been simplicity itself. His plunge to the valley floor had cost him no more than a few scratches and bruises. By abandoning their horses even the least athletic of the slavers could have followed easily. But none had, even though he had killed one of their number. Why?

Fire*Wolf waited, immobile as a hunted animal. For almost an hour he scarcely moved a muscle, all the time suspecting the possibility of a trap. But the slavers did not return, nor was there any indication of their approach from another direction. They had abandoned him. Why?

But puzzled though he was, Fire*Wolf remained a man of action rather than a philosopher. If they had abandoned him, they had abandoned him and the Wilderness gods were to be thanked for that. He rose, stretching to ease the cramps and aches immobility had brought to his muscles, then set out with a cheerful heart to place as much distance as he could between the caravan and himself.

Fire*Wolf moved deeper into the valley.

The Annals of Harn may yet describe him as Fire* Wolf the Thoughtless, for if the slavers failed to follow, would it not suggest that their knowledge of something in the valley itself caused them to pause? Nonetheless, Fire*Wolf is committed now.
It doesn't explicitly tell me to gain skill for defeating Baj, but I'm going to.
THE FUGITIVE

Fire*Wolf grew chill. The sun was still warm overhead, but a pall of mist rising from the swamplands sucked the warmth from his bones.

Fire*Wolf grew fearful. He was beginning slowly to realize why the slavers had not followed him into this valley. An eldritch gloom clung to the swamplands near the river. There was too little sound. In any land like this, there should have been a thousand noises: insects, small animals and birds. Here there was none. Silence brooded in the green and dismal gloom.

Swift movement was impossible. Here, in the swamp, the soft ground sucked at his feet, the tangled vegetation gripped his legs and arms, making every stride an effort. He was, so far as he could judge, moving parallel to the river in the approximate direction of the great stone building he had spotted briefly from the valley wall.

He could not say how he first knew something was following him. His nostrils caught no scent, his ears no sound. But his whole instinct, finely honed by years in the Wilderness, told him there was something: and that something getting closer. His mind created pictures of a creature unlike any he had ever known, a beast of cunning and ferocity. He shook his head to try
to clear away the vision, but it remained stubbornly.

Fire*Wolf changed direction.

For just the barest instant he thought he might have eluded his pursuer, but then his instincts told him it was following again. It was now closer if anything. He could still hear nothing, see nothing, scent nothing, yet his mind was setting up a clamour close to panic. He had no doubt at all he had become prey to some predator and the creature was closing for the kill.

Fire*Wolf stopped. He was without a weapon of any sort. While the Wilderness Way had taught him many tricks of unarmed combat and survival, he knew that in his present situation he would not last more than minutes against any of the larger beasts of Harn. He looked around and at last found a hefty, broken bough slick with swamp slime but at least unrotted. He wiped away the slime as best he could and hefted the bough in his strong right hand. A club had never been his favourite weapon, but it was all he had.

Fire*Wolf waited. In time the creature came for him.

It was immense. A swamp reptile of some unknown species, some fifteen feet long from tip of snout to tip of tail and standing almost eight feet tall at the shoulder. The muscular body was armoured with glistening green scales so that it blended with its background almost to perfection. Half-open jaws revealed fangs four inches long. The shortened forelegs ended in vicious, slime-tipped claws. The great head swung slowly side to side, searching. A white, nictating membrane flicked spasmodically across the eyes.

A choice for Fire*Wolf. Even with a sword, spear, bow, arrows and heavy armour, the brave Barbarian might have some difficulty in surviving this encounter. Can he possibly survive at all armed only with a makeshift club? There is no dishonour in flight from impossible odds. And yet it has always been Fire*Wolf's nature to attack. In this instance, he may take either option.

• Brave the monster?
• Flee?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Since this is by Brennan, the monster might turn out to be a cute cuddly ally.

Brave it.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Sure, fight.

This series I read once and I don't recall much about it... other than the translation into French removed most of the tone and went with a dryer gamebook style. A net loss overall though at least the translation cut down a lot on the "what do you want to do, you dumbass barbarian swine?" insults.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The Warrior Cry of the Wilderness rang out across the sodden swamplands as Fire*Wolf flung himself upon the monster, swinging his makeshift club at the creature's gaping maw.

It was a fine blow, well-timed and well-aimed. He knew this with a fighter's instinct the moment the full power of his massive body was released. The club swung true.

And missed!

Momentum carried Fire*Wolf in a half circle, causing him to stumble. But he recovered quickly. Had the monster moved? It did not seem to have moved.

He swung again.

This time there could be no mistake. He watched the heavy bough pass through the body of the creature as if it were so much thin air.

Howling in amazement and frustration, Fire*Wolf struck again ... and the monster vanished! For an instant he froze, dumbfounded. Then a tiny movement near his foot caused him to look down. A miniature replica of the creature skeetered towards him, scarcely more than seven inches long. He might have let the little lizard live, but some blind instinct brought his arm down with the club. The creature jumped nimbly to one side and a soundless blast of mental energy exploded within Fire*Wolf's brain.

Whether it be seven inches long or fifteen feet, the being Fire* Wolf faces is a monster indeed. Perhaps the most deadly denizen of the Swamps of Vohan, the venomous Illusion Lizard has been equipped by nature with certain strange and dangerous abilities.
To battle!
The lack of instructions regarding recovery between fights is becoming tiresome. I think we're supposed to still be injured from fighting Baj, but who knows? Anyway, the strange and dangerous abilities of this lizard are that it's stats are whatever we believe them to be, man, which is a way of saying that we roll for them to see what Fire*Wolf's weird Wilderness prejudices think the lizard is. Actually, I'm only told to roll for it's Strength and Stamina, so the other stats would appear to be undefined or something. It's not great, but it isn't unplayable, so here we go.
ScoreFire*WolfIllusion Lizard
Strength8840
Speed48??
Stamina8072
Courage56??
Skill3??
Luck24??
Charm48??
Attraction88??
Life Points295/432384

First Strike goes to Fire*Wolf, probably?
Round 1: Fire*Wolf 8, hits for 10+11+8, it's at 355. Lizard 5, misses.
Round 2: Fire*Wolf 7, hits for 0+11+8, it's at 336. Lizard 6, misses.
Round 3: Fire*Wolf 7, hits for 0+11+8, it's at 317. Lizard 5, misses.
Round 4: Fire*Wolf 11, hits for 40+11+8, it's at 258. Lizard 5, misses.
Round 5: Fire*Wolf 6, misses. Lizard 5, misses.
Round 6: Fire*Wolf 8, hits for 10+11+8, it's at 229. Lizard 7, hits for 0+5, we're at 290.
Round 7: Fire*Wolf 5, misses. Lizard 6, misses.
Round 8: Fire*Wolf 12, hits for 50+11+8, it's at 160. Lizard is tired!
Round 9: Fire*Wolf is tired! Lizard is tired.
Round 10: Fire*Wolf is tired. Lizard 6, misses.
Round 11: Fire*Wolf 6, misses. Lizard 10, hits for 30+5, we're at 255.
Round 12: Fire*Wolf 5, misses. Lizard 3, misses.
Round 13: Fire*Wolf 8, hits for 10+11+8, it's at 131. Lizard 10, hits for 30+5, we're at 220.
Round 14: Fire*Wolf 6, misses. Lizard 8, hits for 10+5, we're at 205.
Round 15: Fire*Wolf 10, hits for 30+11+8, it's at 82. Lizard 20, hits for 30+5, we're at 170.
Round 16: Fire*Wolf 8, hits for 10+11+8, it's at 53. Lizard 12, hits for 50+5, we're at 115.
Round 17: Fire*Wolf 10, hits for 30+11+8, it's at 4. Lizard is tired!
Round 18: Fire*Wolf 9, hits for 20+11+8, it's defeated!
(Add one point to Fire* Wolf's SKILL figure.)
Fire*Wolf fled from the scene of the fight.

He was shaken, confused, his mind still reeling from the psychic blasts of the miniature horror. Nightmare visions clung to the edges of his mind. Creatures of the darkness hovered at the edges of his perception, threatening to break through to overwhelm him. Although he knew beyond all doubt the lizard was now dead, the vicious damage it had done to his mind lingered hauntingly.

Fire*Wolf ran.

Despite his exhaustion, he could not stop. His powerful body crashed through the dense swamp vegetation, heedless of the lacerations it received from razor-edged ferns, the scratches from succulent thorns. His mind locked in a tight knot of terror, no longer aware of where he ran, Fire*Wolf stumbled onwards, legs trembling.

And stumbled, luckily, beyond the swamp.
Man, it would have been nice if the fight with the lizard had mechanics that resembled psychic attacks in any way. There's a courage stat right there, waiting for something to be done with it.
Panting and exhausted, Fire* Wolf halted. He had left the swamp behind and was now on the banks of the great slow river which, over the course of aeons, had cut this entire valley from the living bedrock.

It was chill here, far colder even than the sodden swamp, and almost as silent. Only the deep sounds of the murky waters reached his ears.

Fire*Wolf rested, shivering, his back against a rock while body and mind slowly recovered from the terrifying encounter. He had, he knew, been lucky. The valley obviously hid greater dangers than he had chosen to imagine - the reason, no doubt, why the slavers had not cared to follow when he made his dramatic escape. To them he had been a dead man from the moment he set foot on the valley floor. It was only a matter of time before the inevitable fate caught up with him.

Perhaps they were right. He had encountered only one living creature so far to be sure, but an eldritch pall clung to this valley like a shroud. Dark forces were at work here and he was ill-equipped to deal with them. He had no right to be here, no business in this place. Every fibre of his body screamed at him to leave - and leave quickly.

What was the fastest route?

Eventually Fire*Wolf stirred himself to action. Using branches, boughs and vines, he lashed himself the crudest of rude rafts and launched it on the river. Still near-naked and unarmed, he stretched his huge, tired body on the makeshift craft, consigned his spirit to the Wilderness gods, and permitted the current to carry him downstream, perhaps to greater dangers, but hopefully beyond this accursed valley.

Silent eyes watched threateningly from undergrowth and thicket as the frail craft rode the murky waters like a piece of errant flotsam. But still nothing moved. The cargo of the raft was meat, but forbidden meat to valley predators, for destiny had marked out this intruder for a darker fate. The craft sailed onwards and we must now move with it.
Fire*Wolf awoke with a start, only now realizing he had allowed himself to fall into a fitful doze. The steady, slow, hypnotic movement of his makeshift raft had stopped. He looked around. Time and his little vessel hung suspended in the centre of a gloomy lake. Dank, twisted, fungus-ridden trees overhung the distant banks, their leaves showing leprous whites and greys in the moonlight.

Moonlight! He had not merely dozed, but slept and slept soundly. The gods alone knew for how long, or how far his craft had travelled. But he had halted now. No current tugged at his raft. It sat motionless as a mariner on a sea of glass.

All around him, the stillness was profound.

Only to the south where a fogbank roilled, creating ghoul and demon visions, was anything revealed to the imaginative eye. Even as he watched, the mist parted briefly to reveal the stark grey-black outlines of a great stone keep towering by the water's edge.

At once the raft began to move again, in the direction of the fogbank. Fire*Wolf jumped to his feet, balancing precariously.

In his present frame of mind, Fire* Wolf might opt to jump overboard and swim, to take his chances in the tangled forest. Or curiosity might impel him to approach the great stone castle, enshrouded by the rolling mists. The choice now is no longer his, but rather yours.

• Swim the lake?
• Approach the castle?
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Castle.
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Yeah, castle.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The fogbank closed around him and for a moment he might have been alone in the universe, totally cut off from any semblance of reality. But then the current quickened, carrying him beyond the mists to beach his raft gently on the shore.

Fire*Wolf stepped off warily. He was at the end of a rough stone causeway. The great keep he had seen earlier now towered gloomily before him, less than two hundred yards away. From so close, it seemed a building of gargantuan proportions. Even from the lakeside he could see that huge blocks had been cut and polished to form the castle walls. The architectural form spoke of another age. Irresistibly, Fire*Wolf's mind jumped back to a portion of the great myth cycle sung by the shamans of his tribe, the part which told of the days when giants lived on earth.

With no better alternative, he walked the causeway. As he drew close, the castle took on a different aspect. From the lakeside it had only seemed huge. Now he could see it was enormous but derelict. There had been a moat once, but now it was no more than a deep, stone-lined ditch empty of water and part overgrown by grass. A drawbridge spanned the ditch, its timbers cracked and rotted so that he was forced to cross it with great care to prevent himself falling through.

On the other side, an iron grid portcullis hung neither up nor down, its ancient mechanisms hopelessly jammed by rust, Fire*Wolf passed beneath it easily, along a short stone-flagged tunnel with murder holes cut into its roof, and through a broken gateway into a wide, overgrown reception yard.

Fire*Wolf stopped, fighting back the disappointment that had been growing in him. If he had hoped for help in leaving the valley, he would not find it here. This castle had lain deserted for many generations. But there was still the possibility he might find weapons, perhaps even armour which had escaped the ravages of time. When a man was naked and unarmed in a hostile world, such possibilities assumed a great importance.

He looked around him. Several archways and various doorways led off the courtyard. A number of the latter were broken, hanging on rotted hinges. Beyond some of them he could see the remnants of ancient stables, broken roofs admitting the ghostly illumination of the moonlight. The remnants of the stalls told him that if giants had built this place, they had not lived here: the stables were for horses of normal proportions.

Fire*Wolf moved forward and at once saw the sword.

It lay, no more than a pace or two away from him, half-hidden in the grass and cleavers tangle which had overtaken the yard flags beneath his feet. It was a slim blade, lighter than his usual preference, but despite the ages it must have lain here, it remained bright and free from rust. The polished, blue-black metal glinting in the moonlight was unfamiliar to him. Tiny lights, like distant stars, glinted in its depths. The handle seemed to be carved from
obsidian.

Slim blade or no, it was a weapon, and one which Fire*Wolf desperately needed. Without a moment's hesitation,'he reached down to pick up the sword.

And in doing so, brave, rash Fire* Wolf set in motion an inevitable wheel of Destiny. Roll two dice for him now and compare the result with his LUCK
figure.

• If the total is greater than the LUCK figure...
• If the total is less than the LUCK figure...
You might ask yourself: 'Self, how could the total of 2d6 ever be greater than a number that is at minimum sixteen?' And yeah, it looks like one of two things has happened here. Either the inevitable wheel of destiny is in fact inevitable and the die roll is meaningless busywork, or the author forgot to compensate for stats being 2d6 times eight. At least the totally-deterministic version means we don't have to worry about what happens if the total is equal to the luck stat, which the text has forgotten to account for.

Also, since the result of failing this luck test is insta-death, having it be unfailable is considerably better than the alternative.
As his eager hand closed on the obsidian hilt, a jolt of power coursed through his arm and into his muscular body. At once a silken smooth voice echoed in his mind: 'Welcome, Fire*Wolf. Welcome, crude Barbarian. Welcome to your Destiny.'

Who are you ? ' Fire* Wolf gasped.

'I am Doombringer,' said the voice. 'I am Lifepreserver. I am a demon from the deepest Pits of Hell. I am an angel from the highest Battlements of Heaven. I am Joy. I am Sorrow. I am your sword, Fire* Wolf. Name me what you will.'

The blade shivered, vibrated and sang in his hand. He felt a surge of unholy power flow through his blood.

'You are my sword ?' he whispered.

'Yours by right of courage, by right of luck, by right of destiny,' the voice said. 'I was forged for you - and others like you - before the dawn of time. Fear not, Barbarian, for I will serve you well and charge you little.'

'Charge?'echoed Fire*Wolf.

'The services of such as I are never free. There is a token payment which must be exacted.'

Then tell me what it is!' growled Fire*Wolf, at last recovering his natural equilibrium.

In a moment, he was surrounded by green light and in the instant knew the history of his sword.

To learn what Fire*Wolf discovered of Doombringer, including the fighting stats of this sentient blade, turn to page 249. Then go on.
Between this and GrailQuest's EJ, the author seems to have a thing for talking swords.
DOOMBRINGER
STRSPDSTMCRGSKLLUKCHMATTLP
Demon1501001001207010000640

Technically, the sword has stats similar to the Demon (above). In practice these are irrelevant to its fighting abilities. Each time it is used to strike a blow, the blade will absorb 10 of Fire*Wolf's LIFE POINTS (and may kill him in the process) but if the blow is successful Doombringer absorbs the LIFE POINTS deducted from the enemy and transfers them directly to Fire*Wolf up to his legal maximum. The sword strikes with a force of +20 (i.e. 10 above that of a normal blade).
Hey, it's an extremely unsubtle Stormbringer knock-off, and that's still >120% more interesting than this book's previous content. (Now taking bets that the series ends with it killing us.) Its leech ability would be better if our hit rate was better, but the odds are still good that it's going to pay off our investment in swinging it. Also, 10 LP isn't a particularly heavy price. Barring a truly severe outclassing, the blade should make us all but invincible.
Fire*Wolf stood stunned. His soul revolted against the very concept of such a sword. As a fighting man he had done his share of killing, but they had been clean kills, always in self-defence, self-preservation or in defence of something he held dear. To kill for the sake of another's life essence was a hellish concept.

On impulse he flung the weapon from him. And at once it was in his hand.

'Ah no, Fire*Wolf,' the silken voice murmured in his mind, 'we are one now, you and I. Our fates are intertwined and there is no ridding yourself of me except by death.'

Think you that?' roared Fire*Wolf in a sudden rage. 'Think you that?' He smashed the blade furiously against the nearest wall, seeking to shatter the metal on the stone.

But as the sword blade struck, a whirlpool of green light sprang up from the stone and enveloped him completely.

What sorcery has Fire*Wolf's impulsive action unleashed?
THE PRISONER

He was in a stone-lined room, a cell of some description. Grey light filtered in from a small barred window high overhead. There was a stout oakwood door, tight shut, up three stone steps to the northern wall (or as near as he could judge to be the northern wall).

The chamber itself was cold, but dry and clean. It was unfurnished and virtually bare excepting for three iron levers set into the wall beside the door and a worn, almost featureless bronze casting of some ancient, monstrous god set upon a granite pedestal in the centre of the floor. A bronze plaque on the pedestal bore the fading remnants of an inscription. Fire*Wolf glanced at it, squinting slightly to make out the lines and discovered it was written in the ancient runic script of prehistoric Harn. Faint memories of shaman lessons in the script nudged at the edges of his mind, but he knew
he would have to work hard to decipher the inscription, working virtually from first principles.

Meanwhile, there were more important mysteries to be solved. How he came to be here, for one thing. More importantly, how he could get out. Without much optimism, he crossed the room, mounted the three stone steps and tried the door. It was, as he had expected, locked. He glanced at the three levers, wondering at their purpose. To open the door, perhaps? That seemed the obvious answer, but perchance it was too obvious. Such devices were sometimes known to trigger traps.

Where was he?

Short of leaving the chamber - and he still did not know how that might be accomplished - there was only one way of finding out. He moved to the wall with the window and examined it closely. The masonry was old, the mortar surface crumbling. He removed Doombringer from his belt and laid the sword carefully on the floor, then, using toes and fingers in the Wilderness Way, climbed the wall like a fly.

He reached the tiny window and looked out through the bars. The scene was gloomily familiar: the brooding lake on which his makeshift raft had so recently sailed. So he now knew where he was. But how had he come so abruptly to this chamber? What forces had imprisoned him? He tried the window bars and found them firm. Carefully he climbed back down
again.

Fire*Wolf squatted for a moment, great head hung forward, hair falling like a tawny mane over his handsome features. He needed to think.

Thinking is not, of course, an option our man of action particularly enjoys. You may, perhaps, help him by examining the possibilities.

• Take time to translate the runic inscription on the bronze plaque of the ancient god?
• Try your luck with the iron levers?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

"Each time it is used to strike a blow"

Not sure if that is supposed to mean if you attack with it, or if you actually hit an enemy with it. The latter would seem to make more sense, but then losing 10 life points wouldn't be such an issue cause you'd almost always be topping yours up again.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Thaluikhain wrote:"Each time it is used to strike a blow"

Not sure if that is supposed to mean if you attack with it, or if you actually hit an enemy with it. The latter would seem to make more sense, but then losing 10 life points wouldn't be such an issue cause you'd almost always be topping yours up again.
The dependent clause following that ('if the blow is successful') leads me to believe that it is all attacks and not only hits that cost LP.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

That makes sense, I overlooked that.
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Thinky man no like thinking. Pull levers, no translate. Can Fire*Wolf even read?

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Runic inscriptions are almost always important in gamebooks, so I say try to read them.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Translate the runes.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Fire*Wolf bent over the bronze plaque, straining to discern the faded outlines of the ancient runes. It might be no more than a salutation to the Elder God, but some, errant instinct, fine-honed by his years in the Wilderness, whispered that it might be more.

Carefully he traced the outlines with his finger, memorizing the faint tracks as the shamans had taught him, until at last the whole inscription was written clearly in his mind. Or almost the whole inscription, for two characters were faded beyond all recognition.

The inscription looked like this:Image

A clue to Fire* Wolf's fate, perhaps? Or nothing at all? Perhaps you already hold the key. Perhaps no key exists. If your attempts to solve the riddle of the runes come to nothing, then you have no option other than returning from whence you came and attempting to escape some other way.
While you're trying to make heads or tales of that, I'll take you over to the levers.
Fire*Wolf examined the levers. Each was less than a foot long, cast from iron and surprisingly rust-free. They were set in a narrow iron frame recessed into the wall itself. After careful study, he was convinced that they linked with some mechanism inside.

Would they open the door? Or trigger a trap? He had no way of knowing. But nor had he any other way of leaving this prison. Better, perhaps, to die in a trap than waste away slowly from starvation. He determined to try the mechanism.

Cautiously, Fire*Wolf tested each lever. It seemed each moved independently and each could be pushed upwards or pulled downwards. There was no side to side movement.

A moment's calculation indicated that there were seven possible positions for the levers. But which to try?

Fire* Wolf is faced with an impossible decision. The right move may free him, the wrong move may kill him. There is nothing to guide him, yet a choice must be made. The different positions for the levers are shown below. Consider carefully and make your choice.

• Will you try Up-Up-Up?
• Will you try Up-Up-Down?
• Will you try Up-Down-Down?
• Will you try Up-Down-Up?
• Will you try Down-Down-Up?
• Will you try Down-Down-Down?
• Will you try Down-Up-Down?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I can't make any sense of the runes, and given Brennan's past records in a certain other gamebook series there's a possibility that all the lever options are fatal and the runes give us an entirely new section to turn to.

If it's down to lever options I'm randomly choosing UDU, but I request that we don't try this until all the participating players confirm that they can't solve the cipher.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

That was unreasonably brutal. Protip, fancy characters don't make a cipher in a fantasy world more "realistic" when the solution is STILL IN ENGLISH.
asecret
doorlies
hiddeninthe
so*thern*all
seekitinsection
thirtyfive
Omegonthesane wrote:Thinky man no like thinking. Pull levers, no translate. Can Fire*Wolf even read?
He can in fact read. He can't count:
angelfromanotherpin wrote:
A moment's calculation indicated that there were seven possible positions for the levers.
ಠ_ಠ