[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Ancient History wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ital ... SKBN1JE2H0

Fucking hell.
Sounds like an anti-vampire conspiracy to me.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/eu-meme- ... regulation

I see this working as well as banning certain words in newsgroups back in the dial up days.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Fucking hell.
This would break EU law: ain't gonna happen.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Interesting interview with Robert Fisk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5OI17ohMos
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

zugschef wrote:

Fucking hell.
This would break EU law: ain't gonna happen.
The EU doesn't have an army and can't really stop it. Lots of EU members break EU law.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

This is kind of Trump news, US news, and world news.

Trump calls into question the mutual defense agreement of NATO

I can never tell when he's just being stupid, short sighted, or doing something specifically for Putin's benefit.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

All three but especially the third one in this case.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

That's already old news, now the Trump's praising NATO and boasting how everybody's gonna be spending 4% of their GDPs on buying old weapons from the USA defense budget.

Other democratically elected presidents disagree in the 4% bit but everybody agreeing NATO is great and will keep those dirty evil communists away.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The 4% rant is actually just Trump doing Putin's bidding to undermine NATO. Because it's not very long ago that he was demanding 2%. But also because the demand for military spending by other NATO members is incoherent. Not only is it a moving goalpost they can't hit, it's a goal without a purpose. It would be one thing if the claim was that other NATO members need to increase spending so that the US could decrease spending, but Trump is demanding increases in military spending either way.

Trump is making irrational, unparseable, unachievable demands on fellow NATO members for no purpose other than to undermine and delegitimize the military alliance. Similar to how he is making irrational, unparseable, unachievable demands on fellow WTO members for no purpose other than to undermine and delegitimize the trade alliance. He's demanding that Germany and Canada cease tariffs that they factually don't have, and he's demanding that South Korea and France cut social programs to pay for weapons systems that explicitly have no purpose and serve notactical or strategic goals.

It's still an open question whether Trump's insistence that we make our new aircraft carriers with steam catapults instead of magnetic ones is because he's a very stupid person who was just scared by the idea of a technology he didn't understand, or because he's still a fucking Russian agent and was deliberately undermining the military capabilities of the United States because he is a traitor.

The fact that you can explain literally everything he does with the explanation "Donald Trump is a Russian intelligence asset working to undermine the United States at all levels: economically, socially, militarily, and diplomatically." is something which really should cause you to adjust your priors at some point. That explanation is a better explanation of his future behavior than anything else anyone has ever suggested.

-Username17
OPG
NPC

Post by OPG »

FrankTrollman wrote:The fact that you can explain literally everything he does with the explanation "Donald Trump is a Russian intelligence asset working to undermine the United States at all levels: economically, socially, militarily, and diplomatically." is something which really should cause you to adjust your priors at some point. That explanation is a better explanation of his future behavior than anything else anyone has ever suggested.
I'm quoting someone whose name I can't remember here, but it's worth remembering the distinction between "agent" and "asset". Trump is as loyal to Putin as you or I, but having a blistering jackass that nobody likes to thump the military stump so obnoxiously it turns bystanders against the idea is absolutely in Russia's best interests.

Anyway, Putin is going to go down in history as one of the all-time great world leaders. Love that lad.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Trump is infinitely many times more loyal to Putin than any of us. I mean, apparently you love the fucker, but we have no loyalty to him, and Trump has a lot.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

The only reason to think Trump is not an active Russian asset is, Trump could not do such a good Job if he actively tried it...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

OPG wrote:Anyway, Putin is going to go down in history as one of the all-time great world leaders. Love that lad.
On what criterion?
Yes, I'm actually interested. Even if you're a full-blown Nazi (you probably are) and appreciate Putin aid to European Nazi parties and regimes, you should know he also pays tribute to actual terrorists (who then use said tribute to legitimize and ingratiate themselves with the Western elites) AND conducts actual genocide of those Russians that are most likely to be considered "White/Aryan". All Putin can give you is a temporary "I can't hear you" reprieve for your feefees before Russia gets sold to China and hordes of untermenschen descend on Yurop (allegedly).
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Is there any valid criticism of NATO spending though? Like is the US spending way more on it than anyone else?
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

There's no such thing as NATO spending (well, there probably is, but it's not what Trump is bitching about.)

Trump is complaining that NATO members aren't spending enough of their GDP on their regular military budgets.

Whether or not spending that money would actually be useful is something better left to the experts.

But NATO members had sort of but not formally agreed to increase their military spending, and it's a matter of public record that by and large they weren't going to meet their target.

I mean, obviously Trump just wants NATO members to waste money buying vaporware like the F35 instead of actually spending it on something useful, but he's not completely in the wrong on that issue.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

OgreBattle wrote:Like is the US spending way more on it than anyone else?
That is to be expected, though, as the US is going to be the biggest, and thus the leader. You could spend (proportionally) the same as the US, and you still only get to be an appendage of someone else. Maybe a favoured appendage, but the US has obvious reasons for spending more money on a US dominated thing than others.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OgreBattle wrote:Is there any valid criticism of NATO spending though? Like is the US spending way more on it than anyone else?
There is no NATO spending. There's just a commitment by NATO nations to pay for their own armies.

Trump is simultaneously complaining that the US is being bilked because it's spending "more on NATO" than everyone else, IE, we spend too fucking much on our military, and at the same time, demanding that we, the US, spend more money on military, IE, increase "NATO spending."

This is of course completely incompatible, and comes from several factors:
1) Trump doesn't know what NATO is, and won't let anyone tell him. So he imagines a completely different NATO spending that isn't just regular US military spending.
2) Trump imagines all other countries are trying to screw us, because like all conservatives, he is incapable of understanding that other people are not clones of him with the same motivations and scruples, and he personally is trying to screw everyone else.
3) Trump just wants to set impossible goals for other countries so he can say they failed so he can save the US from evil NATO exploitation. If he demands 2% and they all pay 2%, he'll demand 3%. But he doesn't even demand 2%, he just declares they aren't paying enough, which he will keep saying even if they paid 100% of their GDP towards a military.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OPG wrote:Anyway, Putin is going to go down in history as one of the all-time great world leaders.
Very unlikely. Even if he manages to be the catalyst that destroys the American Empire, that's not the kind of achievement that gets you lauded in history as a great world leader. No one hails Odoacer or Nurhaci as "great world leaders." Destroying a major world empire is an achievement, but not one that historians particularly praise. Nor has Russia met with much success economically under Putin. The Russian Federation's GDP is straight up lower than it was five years ago and is now ranked as a smaller economy than Canada. They also have seen a degradation of their military and diplomatic status, where former client states like The Ukraine have become conflict zones in Russia's front yard. At the beginning of Putin's tenure, a hypothetical conflict between Russia and NATO would have been fought in Warsaw - now it would be fought in Kiev. Putin hasn't even gained ground in the "cultural" conflicts he's been beating his chest about all this time. Putin's crusades against the Muslims in the south have gone poorly and he's had to allow Muslim warlords to set up an Islamic state in Chechnya to avoid losing the territory completely.

There's also no guaranty that him throwing in with the international radical right is going to pay dividends even in breaking up the empires he is opposed to. There's still significant chances for this to go terribly. Russia has already been essentially kicked out of the G8 and been smacked with a number of economic sanctions. If the West decides collectively that Russia is "The Enemy" in a Cold War sense, the Russian Federation is basically partying like it's 1989 only this time they don't even have much in the way of nominal global allies.

-Username17
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well... he praised them for committing 2% GDP to defense, which was a commitment to NATO, and he said that it'd be nice if everyone else did this too, since Fucked Up Greece is managing it. I wouldn't call that praising Greece as an example in general
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.