Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Yes. I just don't think it is something that would elicit disappointment because all the previews told you this would be a direct sequel to the first movie and that Elastigirl would be breaking the Supers law. With all the promotional material explicitly telling you these things what did "you" expect this movie to be about? I'm not going to sit and argue with you about your taste as I feel this is a flame trap of a conversation and I dumbly bit on the flame bait because why else would you implicitly question my taste when you already touted your minor personal gripes with the movie but seriously what did you really expect the movie to be about?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That's actually a very fair point. I didn't actually see much promotion of the movie, so I, personally, had only the barest idea of what it would specifically be about.

I guess my main problem is that it felt garbled, and that they were trying to stuff to different story threads into one plot.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Well my perspective is that the overarching narrative doesn't matter to me. In my opinion the big evil plot of the first movie was Syndrome basically ultimately planning to obviate supers by turning everyone into Batman. If it weren't for his shitty decision to be hyper destructive in doing so this would be harmless to the Supers and the fact that giving everyone super powers was cast as a bad thing just because of that was dumb. For me the first movie was about an over the hill father who is so caught up in trying to get back to the old days that he loses sight of what is important and only when he nearly loses everything dies he realize that his family is what's really important. The thing about supers being illegal and having to suppress their powers to fit in was not really important to me.

This movie showed that same over the hill father having to really bite his tongue and become a stay at home dad while Elastigirl goes out to become a reluctant but amazing bread winner. Both of these ideas really speak to me in certain ways. The movie was entertaining to me as a kid and now that I'm older these themes are even more recognizable to me. That's what I appreciate.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

MGuy wrote:This movie showed that same over the hill father having to really bite his tongue and become a stay at home dad while Elastigirl goes out to become a reluctant but amazing bread winner.
This is probably the biggest draw for me. But I'll wait until it's out of theaters before I see it.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Alright, to each their own. I'm probably being more critical about it than I otherwise would be because I really only saw it because a nerd site I occasionally write for wanted me to review it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

This week in Darling in the FranXX the new Nana explicitly says she's still a loyalist to Papa and thus won't help repair the failing water/energy systems even if it means they'll all die, because that needs explicit approval from Papa.

But she'll let the pregnant girl decide if she wants to perform an abortion or not, meaning Papa was ok with the pilots deciding to have babies.
Last edited by maglag on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I am fucking loving the hell out of Cloak & Dagger.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Lupin III Part V is a sumptuous show that manages to switch between gritty near-cyberpunk and lighthearted magical realism with incredible deftness.

Also, everyone who wasted time in that DarliFra debate should watch Flip Flappers.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Maj wrote:I am fucking loving the hell out of Cloak & Dagger.
Is that set in the MCU, or is it stand-alone?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

Mask_De_H wrote:Lupin III Part V is a sumptuous show that manages to switch between gritty near-cyberpunk and lighthearted magical realism with incredible deftness.

Also, everyone who wasted time in that DarliFra debate should watch Flip Flappers.
I somehow swapped "Flip Flappers" and "Hand Shakers" mentally and was about to ask what the hell you were on about before I self corrected.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Shrapnel wrote:
There are obscure easter eggs that connect it to Luke Cage. People in Luke Cage refer to some people who have gone to New Orleans, and in Cloak and Dagger those people are in New Orleans. There is no crossover of actual actors to my knowledge.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

shinimasu wrote:Also, everyone who wasted time in that DarliFra debate should watch Flip Flappers.
I mean... flip flappers came out a while ago, I watched it all back then.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:
There are obscure easter eggs that connect it to Luke Cage. People in Luke Cage refer to some people who have gone to New Orleans, and in Cloak and Dagger those people are in New Orleans. There is no crossover of actual actors to my knowledge.

-Username17
What Frank said. The Marvel tag is on it, and it's deliberately set in the MCU, but also not in the thick of things. It's an ABC (Disney) production, but plays on ABC Family, not the bigger networks.

I've watched through the fifth episode, and the pacing is so different from other super hero shows, that there's no way they'd do a major crossover this soon. It actually reminds me - intent-wise - of the first season of Arrow, except they are taking their time with character development and plot and trying to tackle some tough issues like white privilege, suicide, and racism - as well as the police corruption, corporate corruption, etc that you'd expect. It's surprisingly good, unless you're the type of fan who just wants the good guys to kick bad-guy ass all the time.

Note: If you are a parent (or really particularly empathetic), the first scenes might be hard to watch. I really struggled.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Kaelik wrote:
shinimasu wrote:Also, everyone who wasted time in that DarliFra debate should watch Flip Flappers.
I mean... flip flappers came out a while ago, I watched it all back then.
Watch it again then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Monster Prom is amazing, and I played it all night in lieu of trying to run D&D while on antibiotics and painkillers for an abscessed tooth.

Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Just started on Cloak and Dagger and so far I've seen a WHAT THE HELL moment and a possible plot hole.

WTH: Is the ref in the first episode fucking blind? They kid did everything short of WWE chokeslamming Ty before he went all Ron Artest on him.

Edit: Plot hole explained in a later episode.
Last edited by Pariah Dog on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

I like what they did with the cop in episode 2: skipping the played out procedural by making her investigation scenes silent.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

I'm enjoying C&D too, thanks for the recommendation! I'm happy I guess for slow(er) characterization, but I'm ready for shit to happen. Sort of like Legion first season...the whole thing is like an agonizingly long origin story.

I just watched the movie Her (from 2013), really enjoyed the movie. Almost felt like a nicer (but slightly depressing, in a not-so-bad way) episode of Black Mirror.
Last edited by phlapjackage on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Ant-man & the Wasp. That shit is funny. And serious. But mostly funny. The lovely Hannah John-Kamen emotes the shit out of her tragic villain character. The car chases are absolutely hilarious and also nail-biting at the same time. And the pre-credits "second ending" scene is gut-punching.

(Yeah, ok, Laurence Fishburne phones it in, and you absolutely have to pre-accept the inconsistent effects of growth and shrinking, but it doesn't matter).
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
OPG
NPC

Post by OPG »

Has anyone here read UNSONG? I'm currently on my third re-read in like a month and a half. It's some unreal shit.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, I did like pretty much everything other than Paul Rudd....

GreatGreyShrike
Master

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

OPG wrote:Has anyone here read UNSONG? I'm currently on my third re-read in like a month and a half. It's some unreal shit.
I have read Unsong - I had a whale of a time. Link for the lazy.

I read it when it came out in instalments, and the pacing / plot felt a bit slow at the time, but with a lot of web serials that's a problem that I have that becomes much less of a problem when reading a finished work all at once. I will probably reread it and have no such problem with it.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Unreal shit is precisely how I would describe it. UNSONG is like a sculpture of one of Uriel's giant twelve-dimensional turds if said turds were made out of some sort of divinely perfect and delicious mega-fudge fractally engraved with whale puns. Globally, the overall story structure is shit. The start is shit, the ending is shit and the plot points connecting the two are corny shit. Yet, on the local scale, UNSONG is made out of something wonderful which is delicious to consume all the same. As long as you ignore the overall plot, you're in for a rare treat. But if you can't get over the fact that the story is structured like a wet fart, you won't be able to get into the good parts.
Last edited by Grek on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

rasmuswagner wrote:Ant-man & the Wasp. That shit is funny. And serious. But mostly funny. The lovely Hannah John-Kamen emotes the shit out of her tragic villain character. The car chases are absolutely hilarious and also nail-biting at the same time. And the pre-credits "second ending" scene is gut-punching.

(Yeah, ok, Laurence Fishburne phones it in, and you absolutely have to pre-accept the inconsistent effects of growth and shrinking, but it doesn't matter).
I've enjoyed the Marvel movies, but this may be my favorite to date. There are a lot of things to recommend it. First off, the stakes are generally very personal - ie, there is no end of the world existential threat. Every antagonist (I hesitate to use the word 'villain') has a reasonable objective and the actions they take are consistent with achieving it. The changing scales add a unique twist to chase scenes - they do things that just haven't been done before and it works. The science has always been bad, but they do enough to keep that from ruining the movie for me. I think that Ant-man is a relatable character because he doesn't have any powers of his own and he isn't a super-scientist like Stark or Banner - he keeps an 'every man' aesthetic when that would be easy to lose for other superheroes (mega-rich/princes/gods/wizards with innate powers). Ant-man is also the only hero I've seen have to deal with the consequences of his actions.

And this movie is funny. The dialogue is really good. There were a number of scenes that had the whole audience laughing. The supporting characters really add a lot as well.

In thinking about the movie there isn't a single thing that I feel was a waste of the audience's time or completely extraneous. It was fun, it had good pacing and it didn't really miss on any of the major beats. I didn't expect to like the first Ant-man; I'm surprised that this is a sequel that is better than the original.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I caught part of an episode of a terrible-looking horror TV show during lunch one day, and found out it was called Supernatural. Now I've watched most of the first season, and it's as terrible (they found the house of the dead guy they found in a newspaper from across the country, because EMS was still parked there) and also addictive as I'd hoped.

It's better when it's not just Christian mythology (the first 2 or 3 episodes were very good), but it's all the half-assedness you'd expect out of discovering, investigating, and solving a mystery in 40 minutes. And all of the goodness of legends showing up in a monster-of-the-week format.

There are somehow 13 seasons of this, and I can imagine it goes downhill at some point, but for now it's an excellent combination of so bad it's good and also regular entertainment.