It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
MGuy wrote:I don't understand. He promised he'd make tax cuts.
Trump also promised to raise taxes on the wealthy. He took multiple sides on several issues, which made it easier for people to project their idealization onto him.
This is commonly known as The Republican Strategy.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

MGuy wrote:Well an update to this, it turns out he's become a follower of one Mr. Jordan Peterson and we are no longer in communication with each other because I said he was nothing but a cult leader peddling 'nonanswers' to people's problems and he took great offense to that. He's becoming a proud libertarian.
This happened to someone I knew too (but fortunately just a friend who I [used to] play online games with). There's a plague affecting 20-something straight men without relationships, and that plague is named Jordan Peterson. Being a dumbass about economics is fine, but Petersonian nonsense about how women are chaos beings is where it's got to stop.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

MGuy wrote:I don't understand. He promised he'd make tax cuts. Why would he get mad that he went through with them? Was his cut not big enough?
Yeah. As in, he has to actually pay more.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, I'm getting some cortisone shots in my ankles on Tuesday (because I have - well, had - bilateral clubbed feet), and I've been told the needle is quite large and painful, and since I'm a massive trypanophobe, I'm kinda freaking out over it, even though it's two days away, and all I can think about is how much the needle is gonna hurt and how I hate needles and phobias fucking suck.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Not a fan of needles myself and having to get them in my mouth for dental work or vaccines I tell them DO NOT SHOW ME THE NEEDLE and do not look at it or think about it.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Yeah, deliberately not looking has been shown to reduce both real pain and phobias by large margins. It won't hurt anything like as much if you don't watch it, and never seeing the needle at all is even better.

Plus, having a positive plan of action helps with stress in general. You can also make a plan for what you're doing after to reward yourself for going through with it, like ice cream and a bullshit action movie or whatever.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

One of my friends is helping me get over my phobia of needles by stabbing me repeatedly with medical grade needles.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Shrapnel wrote:So, I'm getting some cortisone shots in my ankles on Tuesday (because I have - well, had - bilateral clubbed feet), and I've been told the needle is quite large and painful, and since I'm a massive trypanophobe, I'm kinda freaking out over it, even though it's two days away, and all I can think about is how much the needle is gonna hurt and how I hate needles and phobias fucking suck.
Concentrating on something else always helps me with that issue. Let the nurse or whomever know that you're going to do that so they don't keep trying to talk to you to distract you (or just concentrate on them talking).

Also, I learned the word for fear or medical injections. Although I first read it as "fear of eating too much turkey and falling asleep."
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:One of my friends is helping me get over my phobia of needles by stabbing me repeatedly with medical grade needles.
Oh, is *that* why she says she is doing it? :biggrin:
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, I find if I stare at the ceiling and chat about random stuff it's a lot easier.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

The housing market (at least around here) is fucking nuts right now. We listed our house, and within 30 hours, we'd had 11 showings and five offers. The best offer was $13,000 over asking price and waving the inspection. This was all on their own, without us asking for their "final and best". Here's hoping the appraisal doesn't come in significantly lower than the offer.

Luckily for us, we won't be buying a house for two to four years, so we don't have to go through this same thing with some other buyer.
erik
King

Post by erik »

My first house was bought for about 100k. We put 15k into it and sold for about 75k at the shitty 2008 era market after having been for sale over a year.

I got a Zillow alert last month it was put up for sale at 150k. It sold that same week.

Housing market indeed be cray.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I highly recommend getting out-patient ear surgery that requires getting local anesthetic injected into your ear canal.

After I went through that, needles anywhere else are pretty fucking tame.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

erik wrote:My first house was bought for about 100k. We put 15k into it and sold for about 75k at the shitty 2008 era market after having been for sale over a year.

I got a Zillow alert last month it was put up for sale at 150k. It sold that same week.

Housing market indeed be cray.
Houses aren't a thing for humans to buy and live in anymore. They're investments that need to have a fast ROI and large profits.

Housing is like retirement. I'm only an engineer, so I expect to need to have a second, moderate-risk criminal occupation to have a chance to get in on it. Well over a decade of savings, and it's heading the wrong direction.
[edit]: and I'm way way too lazy for crime. And I've met enough former meth-heads, etc. to know it isn't worth the money to deal with them, even if they for some reason have money and intend to pay you.
Last edited by Iduno on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Re: needles: I find that deliberately looking in the other direction when having needles stuck into me, whether small ones for vaccines (Flu, once a year) or for blood for tests (more than once a year) helps.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, I got my (first) cortisone shot yesterday, and I can succinctly sum up the experience in one word:

OW.

...One foot down, another to go in a few weeks. Sigh.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I just got a job offer to become the true final boss of the Russian internet for a stupidly large amount of money.

On one hand, I've been teetering on the brink of insolvency for the last ten years, with a thrice refinanced bike loan (yes), unpaid taxes, and a serious unaddressed medical issue.

On the other hand, I don't want to end up in Nuremberg, or the Hague, or the Ipatyev mansion basement.

Fuck.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The nice thing about stupidly large amounts of money is that you can use them to springboard to other things that also include stupid amounts of money but less risk. Sure, there's a chance your springboard collapses and everything you value is ruined, but that's a function of time. If you make your jump quick enough, you should be safe. Probably.

I'd do it.
-This space intentionally left blank
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Take the job, acquire as much compromising info on the current US admin as possible, and if anything happens, turn state's evidence. Or whatever.

Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Prak wrote:Take the job, acquire as much compromising info on the current US admin as possible, and if anything happens, turn state's evidence. Or whatever.
Problem being that "the state" might be the one you need protection from. That's how blackmail works.

Also: I got hit-and-runned today (car crash). During rush hour. Dude rolled up his window and gave me the finger when I walked up to his car, walking because we were stopped and I was right behind him, because that's how rush hour works. Somehow I managed to get a picture of his car and license plate while we were stopped. Car crash (in a new car) bad, idiot who thought he could successfully leave the scene while traffic was stopped is worse. He eventually drove off. I don't like calling (or anything else) the police, but I saved up a long time for a new car.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I meant State's Evidence for Mueller. Hypothetically the US will be able to protect you if you're valuable enough.

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Iduno wrote: Also: I got hit-and-runned today (car crash). During rush hour. Dude rolled up his window and gave me the finger when I walked up to his car, walking because we were stopped and I was right behind him, because that's how rush hour works. Somehow I managed to get a picture of his car and license plate while we were stopped. Car crash (in a new car) bad, idiot who thought he could successfully leave the scene while traffic was stopped is worse. He eventually drove off. I don't like calling (or anything else) the police, but I saved up a long time for a new car.
Did you get a picture of him, too?
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

RobbyPants wrote: Did you get a picture of him, too?
Probably should have, but I wanted to get back to my car before traffic moved again.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Iduno wrote:
RobbyPants wrote: Did you get a picture of him, too?
Probably should have, but I wanted to get back to my car before traffic moved again.
You report it. And you report it to your insurance.

Your car insurance usually has uninsured motorist coverage. That pays for repairs without being 'at fault' the way collision would be. Typically it has the same deductible as collision because there are people who always claim that their own accidents were hit and runs. The insurance company will try to determine who the driver was and file the claim against his insurance (if he has any) or him (if he doesn't). If they get paid for the repair, you get your deductible back.

Property Casualty insurance (which includes automobiles) is pretty sane all things considered. Reporting to the police and your insurance corroborates your story and helps make the process go smoothly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Yeah, I reported it.

It's just weird how effective deciding not to give your name or insurance information over and driving away is. There is literally nobody who will stick around to be a witness, and if there's no witness, there's no crime.