Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, you could turn ordinary glass into bullet/everything proof glass?

Though, any reactor or engine that makes engineers go "It's no good Captain, she's gonna blow" if you run it too hard would be the obvious choice.

But, it depend on what rules for things degrading actually exist in the game.

EDIT: Oh, if you were on a plane and the undercarriage couldn't deploy, you could use it on the bottom of the plane and safely(ish) crashland in a big skid.
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:As I understand it, the object isn't subject to age or wear of use, but deliberate attempts to damage it still work, because intention is magic. How that would interact with armor isn't clear.

Lots of food for thought, though. Thanks all.
Best thing I can think of for a medieval RPG would be some of the magic arrows. In a modern system, so little in the world wears out with regular use, like, volcanic glass is really hard on boots, so you could not buy new boots every couple days when studying volcanic glass, but eh.

You could probably design some things, ultra-light full scale passenger aircraft don't work because of metal fatigue, so you could ignore that and cut a lot of weight off with a highly flexible structure, but I doubt weight and fuel saving is anything to care about either.

Build big wobbly things, really, get out near the full elastic limit on construction materials instead of about 20% of it, as long as you don't "intend" to overload it, who cares.

Maybe a space elevator could work? I recall they're a bit further off with material limits than that, and again it's just weight and fuel savings.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh, bullet proof vests would be a good candidate, actually. Even with the "intent is magic" thing. As I understand it, bullet proof vests are basically one-use, once they've been shot, they don't provide much protection anymore. With this spell, they don't degrade with shots, and you can, at least hypothetically, be hidden under bulky clothing, so people just try to shoot you, not knowing you're wearing a vest.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Prak wrote:Oh, bullet proof vests would be a good candidate, actually. Even with the "intent is magic" thing. As I understand it, bullet proof vests are basically one-use, once they've been shot, they don't provide much protection anymore.
Oh, that's a good one, yeah.

Also, you could make a firearm out of a lightweight plastic, it'd be sturdier than a metal one but weigh less and not be picked up by metal detectors.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

How much conversion work would need to be done to port an SR4 like magic system to the AS core rules? The bones of the systems are close enough, and I really like the magic system in SR4.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

90% of the work would be in balancing and choosing reasonable numbers. Also, you'd need to decide whether you are going to have a Magic stat (ala Shadowrun) spell specific skills (ala After Sundown) or a tradition-based approach (ala Asymmetric Threat).
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Grek wrote:90% of the work would be in balancing and choosing reasonable numbers. Also, you'd need to decide whether you are going to have a Magic stat (ala Shadowrun) spell specific skills (ala After Sundown) or a tradition-based approach (ala Asymmetric Threat).
It would be a tradition-based approach, like AT, since I really liked that idea.

One of the biggest things would be re-adapting the SR damage codes into AS's scaling damage. There'd also be reining in Conjuration, rejiggering the spell schools, and figuring out how and where to keep existing AS disciplines.

E: There's stuff about spell schools and Conjuration on the board, and at least for Celerity/Wired Reflexes stuff, there's moving away from Initiative Passes and using multitarget/autofire rules instead. Strength going insane I imagine can be tweaked by changing the numbers on War Form and Friends while making Strength not a casting stat.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Grek wrote:Asymmetric Threat
What's the Status of Asymmetric Thread?
Last I remember are multiple Threads with Wall of Text's for concept/background, but few rules.
Anyone care to Point my lazy ass to the right direction if it's sort of finished?
Last edited by Korwin on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

Last I recall, Frank said he was working on math-hammering the rules. Then, as best as I can piece together, personal and professional stuff happened and he stopped having time. Current status unknown.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

If you do enough poorly balanced additions to After Sundown saying it's Asymmetric Threat then anger will draw Frank back to working on it
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yeah I was going to say, in addition to all the potential real life shit that can come up, he's working on like 3-5 different RPGs, so you should just bait him into the one you care the most about by making up bad rules for that one.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I seem to remember from back in the 3.X days that spell descriptions (for instance) were written assuming the caster was a typical PHB humanoid. Was this convention ever stated in an official book?
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

NineInchNall wrote:I seem to remember from back in the 3.X days that spell descriptions (for instance) were written assuming the caster was a typical PHB humanoid. Was this convention ever stated in an official book?
What's the context? Some weird exploit?
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Well, for instance beast claws from Complete Divine/Spell Compendium grants two claw attacks. Whether the damage the claws deal is a function of the caster's size depends on the writer's assumptions. To wit, if spells are written with an assumption of humanity, then the reader is expected to understand that things like claw damage supervene on qualities of the caster.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Um, no. The spell says the claws deal 1d4 damage. That's it. The spell doesn't do things it doesn't say it does. That way lies Pun-Pun and other deluded nonsense.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Better example of an spell who assumes humanoid caster would be Alter Self, you can always change into an humanoid, even as outsider or aberration.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Given that apparently most SR metaplot dangers are body snatchers (Insect Spirits, Shedim, CFD), I've wondered. What could you use as a big metaplot enemy that doesn't depend on body snatching?
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Trill wrote:Given that apparently most SR metaplot dangers are body snatchers (Insect Spirits, Shedim, CFD), I've wondered. What could you use as a big metaplot enemy that doesn't depend on body snatching?
Property developers. They are still snatching people, but they're doing it to get them out of the way, and the people they take just end up in a landfill, not in a hive or a lab.

Doomsday Christians. Population reduction extremists.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

rasmuswagner wrote:
Trill wrote:Given that apparently most SR metaplot dangers are body snatchers (Insect Spirits, Shedim, CFD), I've wondered. What could you use as a big metaplot enemy that doesn't depend on body snatching?
Property developers. They are still snatching people, but they're doing it to get them out of the way, and the people they take just end up in a landfill, not in a hive or a lab.

Doomsday Christians. Population reduction extremists.
Accountants are great as big-bads for Shadowrun. It isn't one person doing evil because they're evil. It's a large group doing evil because someone ordered it to increase profits for the year. Just being a huge corporation, and destroying lives by doing their thing.

That, or the police. It's easier, because you can find the plot/conspiracy in the newpaper/your own experiences.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Shadowrun baddies? The Corps.

They're people, you see, legally, for everything that gives them rights, and not people, for everything that would hold them responsible for the expression of those rights.

The corporation has the right to speak, but not the responsibility to do no harm with it.
The corporation has the right to move, but not to avoid stomping all over anyone else's interests while doing so.
The corporation has the right to own, but divestment and shell games react faster than lawsuits regarding their properties. Sell being sued, to someone with no money.
The corporation has the right to bear arms, but you can bet the murder charges never get beyond the trigger man, if they get that far.

There are shadowrunners because the corporations are not legally restrained, so their interactions with each other are psuedo-military in nature. You are how corps talk to each other when agreements go unfulfilled. What you dig up is names, on orders, things out of the reach of legal warrants, and find a way to get them to the press, or the crowd, or wherever else it makes that person's life worse for people knowing it. You are the conscience of the corporate body.

The horror is perhaps that you're really just part of the problem. Dun dun dun.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Insect Spirits are normally a huge problem because the conditions of the Shadowrun world under the corporations are such that they can get away with doing their thing, ruining Scientology-esque cults to indoctrinate and abduct poor people etc, for quite a while before anyone even notices.

And then Ares is likely to mishandle the situation in an attempt to blow them up, and you wind up with shit like the Seattle DMZ, where everyone was duped into staying in their homes while the military walled off their city and left them in there with the bugs.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So an idea I've got for a D&D-type dungeon crawler class does magical stuff with...

-Has 3 resource points: Red, Blue, Yellow
-Has X amount of slots that get filled with R, Y, B points
-Uses a set of abilities to gain RBY points
-Can then expend current RBY points for effects depending on what was filled.

I had a video game in mind for this as it's pretty fiddly, but I think it could work for tabletop if the numbers are kept low. Like you only ever have 2 slots and 3 elements.

RBY can be thematically different things like Fire-Ice-Lightning, with Fire-Fire-Fire turning into a big fire spell, or Fire-Ice spent on a misty illusion.

There an existing tabletop RPG with a system like that?
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

OgreBattle wrote: RBY can be thematically different things like Fire-Ice-Lightning, with Fire-Fire-Fire turning into a big fire spell, or Fire-Ice spent on a misty illusion.

There an existing tabletop RPG with a system like that?
It's similar, but Kaelik made an elementalist sort of like that. It's effectively like having two points for each axis (fire-water, air-earth), and you move them around as you cast.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Waaaay back when, I played someone's homebrew game along that lines, where the rules changed every sessions and they ripped as much off Magic: The Gathering as possible. But the idea worked.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

OgreBattle wrote:So an idea I've got for a D&D-type dungeon crawler class does magical stuff with...

-Has 3 resource points: Red, Blue, Yellow
-Has X amount of slots that get filled with R, Y, B points
-Uses a set of abilities to gain RBY points
-Can then expend current RBY points for effects depending on what was filled.
That's Magic of Blue, isn't it? Incarnum, Soulmelds, Essentia, you put some of it slots and some spent as points on other things and some boosting the slot stuff and classes get amounts of slots and blue stuff and other blue stuff, and yeah, it's terrible, and not just because the presented powers are designed to be balanced with Paladins and Fighters and WBL, though obviously that makes it bad in a 3.5 game, but it's a lot of work for no more pay off that much simpler systems, and the terminology used is almost like it's designed to be impenetrable and hard to recall.

I recall there's tome versions of one or two of them, probably a better start point.