9 Alignments Again (Hoping to make sense)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Iduno wrote:I'm in agreement with the idea that people only really want alignments as a reason to have Planescape. Was it a trash fire? Sure, but it was a trash fire with interesting ideas, worldbuilding, and art.

If you're going to build a new alignment system, do the Planescape thing but better. Come up with a pile of philosophies that are meaningfully distinct and are coherent enough that you can say why someone would believe them, explain how they all contribute/exist in society, and why they think they're the only ones who are right. Religion is replaced by those philosophies, and people why try to personify those philosophies all live in the same city like some kind of terrible Odd Couple.
This is fair enough, really. I've gone to bat for this before. What you do is take all the higher realms, give them a good paragraph-long treatment, and then let people choose one when they select alignment. You're aligned with Hades or Elysium because those are genuinely where you want to spend eternity after you die and you try to advance the earthly philosophies of those places not just because you believe in them but because you think you're incentivized for doing so with accolades and gifts of strength in your life after death.

You might still hang the five alignment tags on people. Not as a primary definition, but as a emergent property, and you don't do much to articulate what substantiates them. You do this to scratch a nostalgic itch that people like well enough to stand behind with memes, but also because Detect Pandemonium would be a super fucking lame power and you need to broaden that shit.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

FrankTrollman wrote:No one has ever been able to make a coherent ethical construct where Neutral Good is distinct from Lawful Good and Chaotic Good but also distinct from Neutral. Indeed, the very concept of being "neutral" to Good and Evil incoherent to begin with.
Chamomile wrote:You say this is a bad thing, but so far as I can tell the only thing that bothers you about is that it doesn't perfectly map to the nine alignments
High fantasy games don't need a coherent ethical construct. D&D is basically a Saturday morning cartoon with decapitations, and alignment should map to Saturday morning cartoon archetypes.
FrankTrollman wrote:Basically, your alignment system, should it produce any benefit at all, is going to do so by providing a reason for Legolas and Gimli to initially have friction. Gimli is Red, Legolas is Green, for example. There's no particular benefit in having a signposting for team villain and team hero because the players know who is on team hero and who is on team monster and there doesn't need to be a specific tag on it.
Casual racism / nationalism as character motivation gets stale fast. There isn't really any interesting disagreement between Legolas and Gimli, moral or otherwise, they're just casually racist toward each other. There isn't much drama to squeeze out of "I'm from Azuria! I'm from Viridia! I don't trust you! I don't trust you either! (generic adventuring) Well I guess I trust you now. Same." Now multiply this by N*(N+1)/2, where N is the number of colors in the party. Discounting that, what remains is a generic prompt, "Anna, Vicky, your two characters have opposing colors so come up with reasons why they don't like each other." The color doesn't provide a reason.
Chamomile wrote:The alignments serve as a morality prompt because they have "Good" and "Evil" written right into their name
Yup.
Chamomile wrote:but all that does is lead to arguments about the nature of good and evil, which have been ongoing for thousands of years and aren't being resolved to everyone's satisfaction by a random D&D group.
Those people are stupid. Fuck them (or, rather, don't).
Look, when I was like 13, Harry Potter exploded. There was a guy at my school who worshiped Harry Potter (the book, not the character), to the point he got gifted a Harry Potter game but wouldn't play it because he considered it sacrilege. And I thought that was dumb, and of course it was (even though I was 13 and thus pretty dumb myself). Later, when I was homeless, I met a group of Harry Potter fans over 40 who based their philosophy not on the books themselves but on various pedo fanfiction that they read and wrote. I've heard horror stories about abusive V:TM and LotR larpers, when people who say they're secretly elves acknowledge other wannabe secretlyelves in exchange for subservience. Someone somewhere probably runs a cult inspired by the MtG color wheel. Alignment massdebates are the exhaust fumes of D&D. You can't stop idiots from being idiots.
Chamomile wrote:Requiring players to solve the problem of good and evil, even just among themselves, before they can agree on who should or shouldn't scan as Evil isn't a feature of the game we want to preserve.
They don't have to solve the actual real-world problem. Characters self-identify as good or evil or neutral and the MC decides what the enemies are. A Good character tends to help strangers, a Neutral character helps friends, and Evil is from "sometimes goes out of his way to be a dick" downward. A Lawful Good character may be oh so conflicted about possibly breaking a promise to the villain, a Neutral Good character will break it, and no one who knows a Chaotic Good character would believe his promise in the first place. No need to go down the teenage edgelord rabbit hole of "but what if someone is being unprincipled on principle, isn't this like the most principled thing evar, zomg mind blown". And of course you don't jump players with "hur hur you're not Good anymore, your magic weapon doesn't work".
Chamomile wrote:The utility of the alignment system is not in its ability to cause vitriolic arguments over whether or not something counts as "Good" or allowing (in some cases, requiring!) GMs to pronounce moral judgments on players for their actions to determine what kinds of materials harm them. It's in providing a set of roleplaying prompts few enough in number that new players can quickly read through them and pick out a new one to try out, as training wheels to help them along to making complete character concepts from scratch.
Color is not a roleplaying prompt, though, it's a character-building prompt that can help a new player navigate a classplosion. Alignment actually helps new players to stop playing boring self-inserts and start playing memorable individuals. It's a tabletop game, not an Important Modern Novel. If your own worldview is different from your character's in some important realistic psychologically nuanced grown-up ways, no one is going to notice.
GreatGreyShrike
Master

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

Detect Pandemonium would be a super fucking lame power and you need to broaden that shit.
Does the "Detect Evil" spell particularly do anything we want to be done? As far as I can recall, it's main use is ... so that it's tougher to write satisfying mysteries and whodunnits in D&D, and to make mysterious hidden cults and treacherous villains posing as good guys far less plausible in campaign settings.

Is there some reason other than nostalgia that we want to preserve the spell "Detect [Alignment]?"
Last edited by GreatGreyShrike on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The last time I used anything like 3x3 alignment, I laid down some very simple principles and meanings.
The principles of Law are:
• Obeying legitimate authority.
• Respecting tradition.
• Keeping your word.
A Lawful person will risk their lives to uphold these principles. A Neutral person will make an honest effort to uphold these principles. A Chaotic person will make no effort to uphold these principles.

The principles of Good are:
• Helping your family.
• Helping your friends.
• Helping your neighbors.
A Good person will risk their lives to uphold these principles. A Neutral person will make an honest effort to uphold these principles. An Evil person will make no effort to uphold these principles.
That was for a specifically iron age sort of setting where even Good people have no moral obligations to strangers, but it was coherent, comprehensible, and functional.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

GreatGreyShrike wrote:
Detect Pandemonium would be a super fucking lame power and you need to broaden that shit.
Does the "Detect Evil" spell particularly do anything we want to be done? As far as I can recall, it's main use is ... so that it's tougher to write satisfying mysteries and whodunnits in D&D, and to make mysterious hidden cults and treacherous villains posing as good guys far less plausible in campaign settings.

Is there some reason other than nostalgia that we want to preserve the spell "Detect [Alignment]?"
It's a divination spell. That's literally the whole school of magic, that's what it does, it give you a new means of cutting certain Gordian knots and assess the world beyond the means of a mere man with a strong arm.

Scanning the room for Evil can help you find someone who's hiding, it can give you an edge when you're searching for magic items, and it can give you suspicions about people without offering just cause to just start decapitating them because in this model it's already been articulated that there are plenty of Dark Enlightenment fascists who fantasize about libertarian hellscapes and fields of eternally cathartic gladiatorial combat but still go about their day as merchants and watchmen without offering up any human sacrifice in their basements.

There are ways to hide from it for the dedicated conspirators that regard it as a crippling indictment without totally neutering it as a useful tool in day-to-day adventuring, but it's an appropriately powerful ability to give somebody at level 1 and constitutes a major way to contribute to the narrative outside of running people through with a lance.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Starmaker wrote: Casual racism / nationalism as character motivation gets stale fast. There isn't really any interesting disagreement between Legolas and Gimli, moral or otherwise, they're just casually racist toward each other. There isn't much drama to squeeze out of "I'm from Azuria! I'm from Viridia! I don't trust you! I don't trust you either! (generic adventuring) Well I guess I trust you now. Same." Now multiply this by N*(N+1)/2, where N is the number of colors in the party. Discounting that, what remains is a generic prompt, "Anna, Vicky, your two characters have opposing colors so come up with reasons why they don't like each other." The color doesn't provide a reason.
Okay, so I've identified the problem here, and it's that you don't know how the five colors in MtG work. Really, my first clue should've been that you thought rebels would be White aligned.

Green and Blue oppose each other because they have radically different beliefs concerning nature vs. nurture. Green aligned people believe strongly in fate and destiny, that where you're from is who you are. Blue aligned people believe strongly in being shaped exclusively by experience and education, and that people are a blank slate before being shaped by these outside influences. Green believes that fighting against fate is wrong, Blue that taking your fate into your own hands is the highest good. You could imagine one or both sides being extremists who are trying to enforce their way of thinking on the other and so sparking a war, and you could also imagine both sides just not liking each other but still able to get along enough to be coworkers.

I'm also not sure what you think your encounters with probably legit mentally ill cults built around some random fandom, or the possibility that the MtG wheel probably has those kinds of cults, too, has to do with the discussion. Are you suggesting that everyone who has alignment arguments has that level of mental disorder? Because that is very obviously not true. The alignment system doesn't cause arguments because some people who play D&D are literally crazy. It causes arguments because having "Good" and "Evil" right there in the name requires the table to come to an agreement about what good and evil mean in order to interpret them. Getting five people to agree on the nature of good and evil is a difficult problem even if all of them are perfectly neurotypical, and I don't know why you'd think bringing up Lord of the Rings pedophile cults would serve as a counterargument to that.

Re: Detect Evil, if we really insist on having it for some godawful reason (regardless of whether or not the Good/Evil axis could be used in such a way that people of the same society can be expected to ping on both ends of it, the fact is that players have been trained to treat them as separate factions and that anyone who reads as Evil in a Good city is an infiltrator, so what exactly is the benefit of fighting upstream against that?), is there a reason why it can't just be "Detect Lower Planes?" The power as it is already detects more than one alignment, who cares if it's detecting seven instead of three?
Last edited by Chamomile on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

angelfromanotherpin wrote: That was for a specifically iron age sort of setting where even Good people have no moral obligations to strangers, but it was coherent, comprehensible, and functional.
I have to point out that it should be the opposite. In an iron age setting even evil people have many moral obligations to strangers.

It's fairly common for bronze and iron age societies to have as a social norm that you can just knock on a random person's door and they have to give you food and shelter. Some take it so far as the require the host to fight to the death in defense of the stranger.

Hospitality rules and obligations to strangers generally become more lax as a society develops, not stronger.
NixingAlignmntCrap>Lur wrote: Note that alignment nomenclature utterly obscures these obvious ideas.

A: The defendant murdered six children!
B: And then he atoned — look, his aura is lawful good!
A: Fuck his feelings, he still did it — and two years ago, he murdered three children!
B: He atoned after that one, too. Do keep up.

The atonement spell also gives the game away. If you’ve murdered a child and your alignment says “it’s okay it’s cool” but the people of your region say it’s definitely not cool, they are going to call you evil. And they will be right. Utterly correct. It doesn’t matter what you say or feel. But the rules of the universe say that it does. Hell, if a paladin rolls up and scans you, he’s going to declare you totally kosher. This means that the term “good” being used by D&D is obviously not the same as the term “good” in English.
The people will be utterly and completely wrong. Because you're forgetting that the English language has tenses. Is, Was, Will Be. Past, Present, and Future.

Good, in the english language, by the way, means possessing or displaying moral virtue.

In the scenario you describe, the person was evil but is good.

This is a perfectly reasonable thing. Because stuff changes, and present state can be different from past states. The language, indeed, permits this.

And it's a useful thing to have because if you don't allow it then you miss every redemption story ever. And there are a lot of good redemption stories.

And many good redemption stories also have a revenge-obsessed group that don't accept the character has changed. Angel had Holtz. Xena had Calysto. Teal'c had that guy on that planet where he murdered elderly people. It's a great thing to have, because it raises questions about the nature of justice and shit.

It's something that you want to support.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Whipstitch wrote: If your factions are coherent enough that people can make sense of them with or without the alignment tags--and then jolly well should be--then you're not accomplishing very much by slapping an alignment tag on them. It's just a ceremonial offering to the sacred cow.
I strongly disagree.

Because if you made an faction coherent, it instantly gets more incoherent with an alignment tag. This is the curse of the old D&D baggage you inherent...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

So I basically nixed alignment completely from my game years ago. The alignments in my game are more like planar stuff something is made out of. Philosophies are determined by what groups a character is a part of. Role-playing prompts come from culture, backgrounds, etc. I have had 4 new players I've had to introduce into the game recently (small I know but I'm selective about who I play with because I don't like public games and I run lengthy campaigns) and have had a very easy time getting them to take role-playing prompts by getting them to understand their character as if they were writing a story about them.

Even though it is out of favor with some people to go into a thread with a message like this I'm just going to say that you could save a fuckton of time and energy by just not dealing with alignments. Alignments like the ones in DnD don't exist irl and we find reasons to kill each other just fine. This is just like that Chaos thread a while back. If you think you need a solid set of cosmic morals that make sense that's just not the case. Getting people to go over a hill and stab other people just for having a different flag than you is not beyond belief. Resources, religion, racism, and more get people violent just fine if that's what you want. Just having a thing be potentially lethal to a population gets whole legends spun about monsters so it doesn't even have to be a credible threat to people.

If you think players need a prompt to help with character expression then having detailed in world groups, cultures, etc with varying aims, traditions, and environments is good enough. I think alignments are handy for categorizing extraplanar threats but unnecessary for saddling a player with something they can use to play their character in the game.

Or we can just have another argument about alignments.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

hyzmarca wrote:
angelfromanotherpin wrote: That was for a specifically iron age sort of setting where even Good people have no moral obligations to strangers, but it was coherent, comprehensible, and functional.
I have to point out that it should be the opposite. In an iron age setting even evil people have many moral obligations to strangers.

It's fairly common for bronze and iron age societies to have as a social norm that you can just knock on a random person's door and they have to give you food and shelter. Some take it so far as the require the host to fight to the death in defense of the stranger.
That's romanticizing at best and pure bullshit at worst. Bronze/iron age socities were pretty far from food stability and often faced starvation. No fucking way they would reliably offer food to random strangers when they had trouble feeding their own families.

And if you knocked at the house of somebody with plenty, chances were that the response would be "So you're starving? I may feed you... If you become my slave, in which case I may later kill you for my amusement or if I'm pissed off". A lot of slaves were precisely homeless/starving people that sold their body for basic survival conditions. Because in the fucking bronze/iron age social programs aren't a thing but slavery, aka treating your fellow humans as objects, was indeed a thing.
hyzmarca wrote: Hospitality rules and obligations to strangers generally become more lax as a society develops, not stronger.
Yeah, that's why so many people nowadays vote for stuff like general human rights and human equality and support for poor people while in the glorious bronze/iron age a stranger having a different skin color or believing in a different god was good enough reason to enslave/kill them in broad daylight, wait a minute...
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Korwin wrote:I strongly disagree.

Because if you made an faction coherent, it instantly gets more incoherent with an alignment tag. This is the curse of the old D&D baggage you inherent...
Man, for a second there you had me all excited for an internet fight.
bears fall, everyone dies
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I know it's a trivial aside, but:
Chamomile wrote:Okay, so I've identified the problem here, and it's that you don't know how the five colors in MtG work. Really, my first clue should've been that you thought rebels would be White aligned.
The Rebels are, factually, a White aligned faction. There's a few black Rebels as well, and I think one Green one, but the vast majority are White. It's complicated by the fact that the cards with the word "rebel" in the name are all Red or Black, but the Rebel subtype is almost exclusively owned by White. Whipping out the Thesaurus, the Revolt keyword belongs to White, Green, and Black, while "Revolution" belongs to all colors except Blue.

I agree that Starmaker doesn't seem to know how MtG colors work, but identifying Rebels as White is not evidence to that effect. The color of a Rebel or an Ally has to do with what they are allying with or revolting against and how and why. In the dark, if someone told you there was going to be a Revolution, you would normally expect it to be Red or White or both, but if the rebels are sufficiently pastoral or ruthless they could be Green or Black respectively.

Which if Alignment is going to be a thing that's written on your character sheet, is what you want. If the only choices are white hat and black hat, there's no point in having a line on the sheet that determines which you chose. Because obviously you are the white hat because you're the fucking protagonist. If you get to choose between being Rebel Leader Pia Nalar (Red) or Rebel Leader Cho-Manno (White) then that line on your character sheet means something.

It might still not be worth a line on your character sheet, but at least it means something.

-Username17
NixingAlignmntCrap>Lur
NPC

Post by NixingAlignmntCrap>Lur »

hyzmarca wrote:
NixingAlignmntCrap>Lur wrote: Note that alignment nomenclature utterly obscures these obvious ideas.

A: The defendant murdered six children!
B: And then he atoned — look, his aura is lawful good!
A: Fuck his feelings, he still did it — and two years ago, he murdered three children!
B: He atoned after that one, too. Do keep up.

The atonement spell also gives the game away. If you’ve murdered a child and your alignment says “it’s okay it’s cool” but the people of your region say it’s definitely not cool, they are going to call you evil. And they will be right. Utterly correct. It doesn’t matter what you say or feel. But the rules of the universe say that it does. Hell, if a paladin rolls up and scans you, he’s going to declare you totally kosher. This means that the term “good” being used by D&D is obviously not the same as the term “good” in English.
The people will be utterly and completely wrong. Because you're forgetting that the English language has tenses.
I’m not forgetting that: with respect, the point of the argument flew over your head since the dialogue I mentioned above relies on that fact.

Here is what you are quite fervently ignoring: the word “good,” in English, does not apply to a mystical cosmic construct created by Gygax et. al. for storytime until YOU show that it does. Until you show that it does, your position that it does is total horseshit, and the definition of good in English remains unmolested.

So let’s go through the example again, slowly this time.

The defendant commits murder then has the atonement spell cast on him. As such, his alignment is left being the one associated with most paladins — let’s call it Bracket Folkmusic (random word generators are proving more entertaining than they have any right to be). Before that spell was cast on him, but after the murders, one might well hold that he stopped being associated with Bracket Folkmusic. Indeed, the people who misunderstand alignments often insist that this be so, lest alignments be rendered (even more) meaningless. So let’s go with that.

The order of events, proceeding forward in time, is therefore:

• The defendant is aligned with Bracket Folkmusic.
• The defendant murders children.
• The defendant ceases to be aligned with Bracket Folkmusic.
• The defendant has atonement cast upon him.
• The defendant is aligned with Bracket Folkmusic.

So, moving really slowly here, here’s the issue: at what point in the above chain of events did the defendant cease to be a) guilty of murder and therefore an evil wrongdoer in a legal sense, b) a murderer who has committed an offense against the children, their parents, their families, and the state and therefore an evil person in a moral sense? Obviously, at no point.

The problem here is the atonement spell made the cosmic horror properly called Bracket Folkmusic like the defendant. No one else gives a shit about that, nor should they.

Indeed, so long as the defendant continues to use that spell and feel bad about every time he upsets Bracket Folkmusic, he can continue to be in the good graces of Bracket Folkmusic. He will not be in the good graces of his victims.

And it’s the victims who are using the English, or any other, language to call the defendant evil and very much not good.

Now assume the following: as part of a PR campaign, Bracket Folkmusic insists on being called “good” in english in order to protect its reputation. Does that change the nature of Bracket Folkmusic or its relationship with humans? Does it change the definition of “good?” No. It doesn’t change shit. Even if it had traction, people in other languages would point out that they haven’t had the word for “good” corrupted, and spanish-speakers would still point out that the defendant, regardless of what unspeakable alien nightmare he may bend knee to, is still muy malo.

Passionate assertions that Bracket Folkmusic is the same as the word “good” in English go beyond just being wrong — they make you an asshole. Worst-case scenario you’re literally excusing wrongdoing; best-case scenario you’re indulging in rampant sophistry. The word “good” in any language doesn’t mean “sapient metaphysical entity that grants super-powers and inhabits corporeal weapons and armor in a reliable, mechanical fashion.” But that's what Bracket Folkmusic does. That’s literally. What. It. Fucking. Does. So if you say Bracket Folkmusic is the same as “good,” having been made thoroughly aware of its other attributes, you are straight-up lying. That’s the problem.

People aren’t having arguments about morality in D&D — mostly. Those happen, but those happen in any rpg discussion. People are having arguments about maliciously-misnamed cosmic forces vis-a-vis human behavior, including morals and ethics. I mean, look at this. I’m replying to someone citing a dictionary definition of a word as a defense of that word defining something that is explicitly not in the dictionary definition. That’s like next-level bullshit.

Here’s the continuation of the quote:
hyzmarca wrote:In the scenario you describe, the person was evil but is good.
No. He. Isn’t. He has done nothing to ameliorate his actions. In order to cover for his actions, you had to lie about the definition of good.
hyzmarca wrote:And many good redemption stories also have a revenge-obsessed group that don't accept the character has changed. Angel had Holtz. Xena had Calysto. Teal'c had that guy on that planet where he murdered elderly people.
None of those people interacted with an immortal entity that granted super-powers, defined entire dimensions of space-time, and acted as the very substance of literal gods. You’re trashing your own point. I don’t want to say this because it seems dismissive, but I think it’s accurate to say that you don’t know what you’re talking about. What the actual FUCK does the existence of Bracket Folkmusic have to do with Teal’c being a stand-up guy?

You have made the same assumption that the OP has made, that Bracket Folkmusic or any other alignment is the same thing as the dictionary definition of a completely different thing when the entire point of the OP (and others) was to define that thing. You’re begging the question a-fucking-gain. The point of the OP was to define these terms, so: Define your motherfucking terms.

(Reiterated ProTip: You cannot define these terms. Literally no one can. Supposition: if you could, you would have, instead of bullshitting.)

Not a fan of MtG for a source for these entities. But thinking about how these critters would play out, I’ve often thought that it would be cool if the gods themselves strained against alignments. Gods form pantheons and, out of some metaphysical necessity, individual gods draw from different alignments but still closely associated with one another. If the gods sought to “overthrow” the tyranny of the very alignments that they relied upon, using mortals as agents in this conflict, that could be interesting. This works particularly well in a milieu where mortals can achieve apotheosis.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Rebels was the chance for MtG to make each color good/evil/neutral instead of "Black is always evil, White is sometimes an asshole but you'd still rather swim in their pool"

I like that in Final Fantasy XIV they made dark knights a vigilante group rebelling against theocracy run by holy knights.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

GreatGreyShrike wrote:Does the "Detect Evil" spell particularly do anything we want to be done? As far as I can recall, it's main use is ... so that it's tougher to write satisfying mysteries and whodunnits in D&D, and to make mysterious hidden cults and treacherous villains posing as good guys far less plausible in campaign settings.

Surely that's setting dependent? If you have a setting with OtT evil characters with spiky outfits, too much eyeshadow and an evil laugh, miht be appropriate. More complex than that, yeah, maybe not.
maglag wrote:Yeah, that's why so many people nowadays vote for stuff like general human rights and human equality and support for poor people while in the glorious bronze/iron age a stranger having a different skin color or believing in a different god was good enough reason to enslave/kill them in broad daylight, wait a minute...
A quibble, but in lots of bronze/iron age cultures that wasn't the case. Now, you could kill/enslave people from a different faction/tribe/city/whatever, that was fine, but race or religion often wasn't a factor. The Roman Empire let people of various ethnicities in, adopted lots of foreign gods (all their gods were imported), likewise the Greeks adopted foreign deities and were supposed to respect foreign ones, you could join a Germanic tribal migration pretty easily.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

NixingAlignmntCrap>Lur wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:In the scenario you describe, the person was evil but is good.
No. He. Isn’t. He has done nothing to ameliorate his actions. In order to cover for his actions, you had to lie about the definition of good.
It's not quite so dramatic. If the guy is the narrator of Bohemian Rhapsody and is only sorry that his actions have consequences, the atonement spell doesn't work.
d20srd.org wrote:The creature seeking atonement must be truly repentant and desirous of setting right its misdeeds.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The existence of the Atonement spell is pretty fucked up because the Christian concept of Atonement on which it is based is all fucked up and the 3x3 alignment model thing that D&D saddled itself with in the late 70s is all fucked up as well.

Atonement the spell does two things: the first is that it washes your "sins" away and leaves you without guilt. But here's the thing: it does with regard to your alignment. So if you're Chaotic Neutral, it washes away the psychic taint of the time you were too Good or not random enough. I mean, seriously what the fuck? What does it fucking mean to "sin" against fucking Neutral? Fucking fuck.

Anyway, the second thing it does is give someone a chance to change their life around and have the alignment that the casting priest has. So you can jump straight from Lawful Neutral to Chaotic Evil by atoning with a demon priest or jump straight to Lawful Neutral from Chaotic Good by atoning with a Cleric of Wee Jas. Again, what the actual shit fuck?!

The concept of washing away guilt through divine forgiveness is morally reprehensible. Acts logically have the same moral weight regardless of what some god or another decides to do later on. The fact that the Great Pumpkin or the God of Chickens has forgiven you doesn't mean anyone else has or should. The idea that you could make yourself blameless in the real world through empty ritual is core to Christian belief, but it is fucking disgusting, and this core immoral concept is a big reason why performatively Christian political parties and organizations are so frequently led by such vile people. It's not a weird thing that White Evangelical Christianity is solidly behind Donald Trump while he lies, steals, and locks blameless children in cages - the moral heart of that religious movement is actually a pestilent rotten thing and always has been. This is a great ethical failing in Western culture, and the extent to which D&D makes a crass and unexamined reference to it in their spell list, it is also ethically indefensible and incoherent.

And it's of course actually worse than that, because on top of that you also have nine distinct but ill-defined sets of contradictory and conflicting moral frameworks that you might be sinning against. I'm not sure what it means to sin against Neutral Evil or what it means for a Neutral Evil god to forgive you. The concept is stupid, and I want no part of it.

The alignment change section goes to the heart of the whole Baptism concept, again from Christianity. You wash away the old person and get born again as a believer in the new cult. Leaving aside the fact that there's nothing morally applaudable about doing that in real life, its applicability to a world where there rival Chaos and Law gods and cults that are actively and explicitly Evil that you can join the same way is simply gibberish.

-Username17
Nath
Master

Post by Nath »

Any attempt to design an alignment or faction system ought to start with a clear explanation of whether the alignment/faction is a conscious and independent choice from the character, or a changing state based on his/her actions or decided by a superior entity (which is basically the same thing - the DM's call, possibly backed with some rules), or a permanent state based on race/ethnicity/bloodline/eye color/...

I suppose you could use words like "good" and "evil" if you go for an action-based alignment - again, that's DM's call all along. On the lawful/chaotic axis, the DM's call may just be slightly more predictable.

Permanent good or evil alignment ending up being stupid is a best case, with a good chance of it turning overtly racist. Permanent lawful/chaotic alignment will just be stupid.

Choice-based good, evil, lawful or chaotic alignment will remove any meaning to those words, unless you allow the DM to control your character so that he always act according to his/her alignment - sort of an action-based alignment in reverse - or he/she slaps mechanical penalties from inadequate behavior - still, DM's call.

Also, regarding conscious choice, in real life, only some lunatic might claim to be "chaotic" or "evil", and most of them as a posture. Actual people will tell you they ignore "only the bad laws" and did what they did "for a greater good" (I wonder if "lesser evil-greater good" wouldn't be a better axis than "good-evil" for character alignment).
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

There's a simple and elegant test to determine Alignment based on actions, which this post is too narrow to contain.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
NixingAlignmntCrap>Lur
NPC

Post by NixingAlignmntCrap>Lur »

It should be pointed out that the notion that forgiveness of sins in Christianity somehow eliminates corporeal consequences is a heresy — but it’s a heresy that 100% benefits the powerful so it’s the first heresy that gets established anyplace Christianity shows up. You’re supposed to willing head your ass off to prison, or to the hangman, after conversion. Fundamentalism, and its “evangelical” rebranding in the U.S., explicitly attacks this notion. . . but it only does it consistently for white men. Old white men can rape and become president. Black children in the U.S. are “guilty” of crimes that haven’t happened and therefore deserved to be murdered by police officers legally bound to help them. Show me one rightwing fundie asswipe that gave a positive public statement on these victims. This is the same suite of rules that has applied to the Rom and the Jew in Europe and you can find non-Christian equivalents in countries where Islam and Hinduism are more popular (and secular equivalents in Soviet Russia). Absolutely zero minutes and zero seconds of the entire canon of ministry and apologetics has been spent within this heresy addressing this distinction. The “atonement” of fundamentalism is not a theological construct; it is a cultural cheat.

This is actually an excellent and horrific example of what happens when you lose control of basic definitions. Dylan Roof walks into a church and murders black Christians; it never occurs to Sean Hannity to call him “anti-Christian,” though that’s literally what he fucking is. Christianity is a term of race for a white supremacist, and since white supremacists run the U.S., it is a term of race operationally. A universe with an alignment system would have this problem on steroids.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

FrankTrollman wrote: The alignment change section goes to the heart of the whole Baptism concept, again from Christianity. You wash away the old person and get born again as a believer in the new cult. Leaving aside the fact that there's nothing morally applaudable about doing that in real life, its applicability to a world where there rival Chaos and Law gods and cults that are actively and explicitly Evil that you can join the same way is simply gibberish.
I'm not sure about philosophical unclear concepts as "morally applaudable" but the whole concept of "anyone can be forgiven" is extremely pratical basically the key reasons why christianity went from some minor cult to one of the strongest religions on the planet.

In one side an eye for an eye just leaves the whole world blind. Eventually you just need to forgive past grudges or you're trapped in a neverending cycle of violence and hatred.

In the other hand it means you can potentially recruit anybody to your side. Including your enemies. Specially your enemies. You could execute them, but getting them to work for you now would be a lot more valuable. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Case in point german scientists that helped perpetuate genocides? You're forgiven if you join our side to develop tech against those dirty godless communists. Oh look, the USA reached the moon and communism collapsed. Simply not possible if you were not willing to forgive the german scientists and let them "attone".
Thaluikhain wrote:
maglag wrote:Yeah, that's why so many people nowadays vote for stuff like general human rights and human equality and support for poor people while in the glorious bronze/iron age a stranger having a different skin color or believing in a different god was good enough reason to enslave/kill them in broad daylight, wait a minute...
A quibble, but in lots of bronze/iron age cultures that wasn't the case. Now, you could kill/enslave people from a different faction/tribe/city/whatever, that was fine, but race or religion often wasn't a factor. The Roman Empire let people of various ethnicities in, adopted lots of foreign gods (all their gods were imported), likewise the Greeks adopted foreign deities and were supposed to respect foreign ones, you could join a Germanic tribal migration pretty easily.
Yeah back in the bronze/iron age, the nearby faction/tribe/city may as well be a separate race/religion. Spartans considered themselves completely different from Atheneans and so on.

And virtually every religion takes bits and pieces from other religions every time it's convenient. Christianity celebrates both Christmas and New Year and then also pays homage to the bunny fertility god, and modern Buddism is basically ok with you taking any other gods along the ride.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

@maglag

The difference between the forgiveness you describe and having a clean slate just because you meant well type forgiveness is an important one. You should not confuse the two.

You can forgive people who you put in prison for forty years and leave with life-long legal restrictions that physically prevent them from re-offending without breaking a lot of special-to-them rules along the way.

Like, you can prevent former bankrupt people from running companies, even if you explicitly don't punish bankruptcy. You can prevent people that steal money from inside a business from having access to the funds in any future job. You can restrict violent people from being mall guards. And you can forgive all those people for their specific past offences, let them back out in society, and still do all that.

So you can have a rocket scientist who used to be a slave-owning tool of a genocidal maniac let him come make rockets for you, but also severely restrict his control of workers rights and carefully monitor his interactions with minority groups. Because you forgive him that specific situation he faced in the past, and make damn sure he can't do it again.

Where the clean slate thing, that's where the Priest fucks children and then says sorry and gets to go look after more children because he was sorry and forgiveness is somehow incompatible with maybe just not doing that.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

maglag wrote:Case in point german scientists that helped perpetuate genocides? You're forgiven if you join our side to develop tech against those dirty godless communists. Oh look, the USA reached the moon and communism collapsed. Simply not possible if you were not willing to forgive the german scientists and let them "attone".
Another quibble, but in that case, surely it was less "forgive" and more "don't care"?

Though, in general, the idea of being remade into a not-guilty person has been useful throughout history, yeah, though not without some new problems.
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Not enough people deem it weird that there was a Red Scare and never a Nazi Scare. Almost like Nazi ideology didn't actually threaten American ideology.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Omegonthesane wrote:Not enough people deem it weird that there was a Red Scare and never a Nazi Scare. Almost like Nazi ideology didn't actually threaten American ideology.
There was German/Italian/Japanese internment during WWII, but it's easier to sweep away the undercurrent of American fascism with "WE PUNCHED HITLER IN THE DICK! USA! USA! USA!"

Also, the red scares come as a hard reaction against socialist/collectivist anything since America is built on the exploitation of your lessers for personal wealth as much as individual freedom.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.