So what the shit is so bad about Shadowrun?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Nath wrote:The question that decide which of 4th, 20th Anniversary (and, if you're really open-minded, 5th) is the best or least worst edition is which one requires the lowest amount of houseruling.

But the most significant change between 4th and 20th Anniversary editions was - by far - the increased cost to raise attribute, from rating x 3 to rating x 5 karma. Few took notice because almost everyone have agree to apply that change way before the 20th Anniversary edition was released. In that regards, there are actually very few people that play "true" 4th edition. The fact that this was a widespread houserule doesn't change the fact it was a major one: introducing it with characters that were created or improved with the old cost created a significant gap between characters depending on players' previous choices.
As Whipstitch noted, the correct houserule is "Karma Cost Equals BP Cost," which is simpler and solves a lot more problems than fucking around with the cost growth curves of the still inherently broken triangular karma advancement system. SR4A's karma cost diddling makes no difference lengthwise or widdershins, because the correct houserule is still necessary and isn't affected at all. Changing some of the numbers on a chart you still shouldn't use is an example of meaningless change for change's sake.

-Username17
hyphz
NPC

Post by hyphz »

The other problem nobody's mentioned yet about Shadowrun when I ran it (4th Anniversary Edition) is that throughout the whole game the PCs are expected to be operating stealthily because of the threat of discovery by corps or police forces and yet when they are or are not discovered is pure MTP. Even in the sample adventures there are few if any guidelines about breaking stealth and those police officers which are statted in the books are too weak to provide much opposition to sensibly built PCs, so it's apparently left to the GM to arbitrarily decide when to drop the hypothetical unstatted unbeatable dystopic corp forces on them.
Almaz
Knight

Post by Almaz »

A Shadowrun-alike game that does not include Heat-tracking mechanics at least as nuanced as GTA is Dead On Arrival, yeah. It's always going to be somewhat MTP-ish, but not even having the courtesy of having tea-pouring advice is insulting.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

hyphz wrote:The other problem nobody's mentioned yet about Shadowrun when I ran it (4th Anniversary Edition) is that throughout the whole game the PCs are expected to be operating stealthily because of the threat of discovery by corps or police forces and yet when they are or are not discovered is pure MTP. Even in the sample adventures there are few if any guidelines about breaking stealth and those police officers which are statted in the books are too weak to provide much opposition to sensibly built PCs, so it's apparently left to the GM to arbitrarily decide when to drop the hypothetical unstatted unbeatable dystopic corp forces on them.
That's a bit like notoriety in D&D - it's rather difficult to parse, unless you just have a counter that determines how hot the PCs are, which is a bit terrible.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

hyphz wrote:The other problem nobody's mentioned yet about Shadowrun when I ran it (4th Anniversary Edition) is that throughout the whole game the PCs are expected to be operating stealthily because of the threat of discovery by corps or police forces and yet when they are or are not discovered is pure MTP. Even in the sample adventures there are few if any guidelines about breaking stealth and those police officers which are statted in the books are too weak to provide much opposition to sensibly built PCs, so it's apparently left to the GM to arbitrarily decide when to drop the hypothetical unstatted unbeatable dystopic corp forces on them.
In reality I found it pretty obvious when you are remaining stealthy and when you are not. If you have a convincing story and documents and get a decent roll they will let you unplug the mainframe with all the critical data and "move it to the new data center" then it's stealthy. If instead the result is "Umm, wait here, I need to check with someone" over the intercom as you are standing on the loading dock it's about to be non-stealthy.

The problem of turns being so short that a 5 minute response time (very good in the real world) is roughly akin to "never" is a different issue.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

kzt wrote:The problem of turns being so short that a 5 minute response time (very good in the real world) is roughly akin to "never" is a different issue.
It's the most serious issue that Shadowrun has, actually. The action phases are such a small amount of real time that it's pretty much impossible for events to unfold while characters are taking action. And that in turn means that alarms are basically meaningless and the only things that matter are guards stationed in your actual path and strike forces sent after you post-mission. That's a problem.

But that also highlights the fact that whether guards are taking a shit or standing behind the vault doors with battle rifles ready is totally magical teaparty. And it also highlights that there's nothing other than magical teaparty to determine whether today's target is willing or able to send a strikeforce after you tomorrow.

If you're going to have response times be essentially irrelevant, you're going to need some sort of rules to determine whether guards are currently in position during your missions and you're going to need some sort of pissed-offedness scale for mission targets to determine how much they are willing to send after you and you're going to need some sort of Boondocks Saints style investigation system to intersperse with the run to determine whether and when they can find you to do that. Shadowrun has none of those things.

Now don't get me wrong, having a mission clock where events unfold during the mission and this actually matters would obviously be very desirable. But in the absence of that, the rules should still be able to say when and how you encounter corporate troops in those circumstances where you could plausibly do that.

-Username17
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

I've been working on a modified version of Shadowrun 4th edition for a setting I've worked on, and I was wondering what are the biggest issues with it that need fixing? Or all of them really. The good news is that the Matrix does not exist in this setting, so I can avoid that entire mess entirely.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Combat turns being too short, wonky damage scaling which contributes to crappy vehicle rules, toxins being brutally overpowered and character advancement using a different currency than character creation. I'd recommend doing a compare and contrast between SR4 and the After Sundown combat system if you have a chance since while it doesn't address everything I mentioned it does have an example of proportional damage and toxin numbers you can easily swipe.
bears fall, everyone dies
mlangsdorf
Master

Post by mlangsdorf »

Also, point balance is completely out of whack - skills and skill groups cost too much, mages need less skills and stats to be effective than street samurai which compounds the problem of skill pricing.

The magic system needs an overhaul: combat spells are a grab-bag of spells with different themes and related mechanics, while manipulation spells is too broad a category. My recommendation is to recategorize them as Life/Health spells (for spells like Sleep that affect living things), Matter (for spells that directly manipulate inanimate objects), Illusion (for the mind control manipulation spells) and Energy spells (for spells that directly manipulate energy). Some Health spells, some Matter spells, and some Energy spells are going to be useful in combat, but having them as a separate category actually doesn't help the magic system any.

One large problem I had when I was doing a similar project is that the actual writing of Shadowrun 4.5A is really bad. It's wordy and repetitive. Some terms are used multiple times with different meanings, like physical damage meaning both potential lethal damage (as opposed to stun damage representing bruises) and meaning damage inflicted in the mundane, physical world. It leads to oddities like needing to inflict physical damage to destroy an immaterial astral barrier. It's not hard to fix, but it's tedious.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

I'm actually using the original 4th edition SR book as several people said that 4.5 was really just a sidegrade. I was just going to pick up the fixes people said were good while ditching the ones for the worse.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Sorry about the double-post, but I didn't have enough time this morning but decided to post anyway, why I cannot remember.

On combat turns: How long do you think they should be? And how would you adjust actions to match? I was thinking of extending to five second turns and maybe revise actions a little, maybe allow a complex and simple or three simples, although that might break combat some.

I'll definitely take a look at the proportional damage system of AS, I've heard about it but been unsure on how it works, hopefully this clears it up. Toxins I haven't gotten to yet.

On Point Balance: It was definitely going to get an overhaul, but I'll save it for when the rest of the system is revised first. As is the skill groups might get axed, as I was planning on condensing some skills. Strangely, people I've approached about this who have played 4th edition have asked me to use Priority instead as they feel it's too easy to get gimped on Point Buy. Which is more to blame probably on lack of good advice in the core book.

Magic: Manipulation was going to get split up anyway, since I'm going for a more Aspected mage style than the full mages of SR. My understanding is that the base system is pretty good as is, except the lack of magic items/alchemy being worth anything. As is it may end up getting revised just because of how setting the works, since it relies more on magic energy from materials than inner energy, as well as major splits between types of mages, essentially a better versions of the Hermetics vs Shamans.

Some complaints I have seen elsewhere.

Dump stats: I've seen complaints that Willpower, Strength, and Body suffer, especially in comparison to stats like agility. I was going to merge Strength and Body into on skill, and also try to give melee some more toys to work with and also taking hits a little more advantageous than in 4th edition. Willpower I'm still trying to find more uses for, as there is no other attribute that makes a lot of sense to merge it with. Strength/Body already could be considered a stretch to merge.

Karma/BP: Not much to say besides that this will be fixed so they are consistently the same.

Merging all firearms skills: I've heard the arguments here about how this gimps combat characters, how it's unnecessary, and was a change forced more by gun nuts than anything else. I agree that basic firearms should have the same skill, but for more exotic weapons (Heavy Weapons, Magic, Alien, maybe sniper rifles?) there should be separate skills to handle them, because shooting a pistol and rifle isn't too much different, but between shooting a pistol and rocket there is a fair bit.

Massive number of equipment variants: Saw some complaints about the sheer number of guns within categories. While I agree that SR has a lot of equipment bloat, I'll probably keep at least 3-4 variants for each type, not including weird weapons, to provide some kind of variation and also for world-building purposes. Applied to other equipment types as well.

Ideas I've had that break from the formula

These are just a couple of ideas that I haven't seen tried in SR, and may break the game

Multiple stats for skills: This one is more of a pipe dream given the number of skills and stats and how many you could argue, but the general idea was that skills have two attributes you can use to determine the dice pool, with whatever was the highest the one being used. This because some skills could arguably use more than one attribute depending on situation, such as Intimidation (Str or Cha) or Lockpick (Log or Agi)

Feats: Maybe a little too much D&D, and maybe too much like Qualities, these would just be abilities that you could grab if you met the pre-requisites and payed the cost, nothing that boosts dice pools like Weapon Focus but instead opened up extra options to the player depending on what they wanted to do.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

saithorthepyro wrote: On combat turns: How long do you think they should be? And how would you adjust actions to match
It really depends on what level of abstraction you want and the genre you want to emulate--presumably you want something long enough where fights can actually be plausibly interrupted unlike with Shadowrun's tremendously deadly 3 second turns.

Anyway, Shadowrun combat turns are so short in part because the developers kept trying to model gunfights as individual trigger pulls with variable amounts of bullets being sprayed depending on the firing mode you used. Overall, I'd call that approach a failure since it's not particularly fast nor is it particularly realistic. You'd be better off with going to a model where attacks are intentionally pretty abstract and it doesn't matter if people try to fluff their deadly rolls as whatever happens to make sense given the weapon at hand or the combat style they use--I don't really give a shit if your "attack" consists of a long grappling sequence, unleashing your hundred hand slaps or finally landing a single dragon punch so long as everyone at the tables agrees on the time frame and whether the result was a knock out. In such a scenario combat rounds and actions represent exchanges/struggles rather than an attempt to track every haymaker and that makes it easier stomach going with something longer than 3 seconds. Frank's 12 second rounds from After Sundown are a decent starting point if nothing else because 5 rounds per minute is pretty easy to remember. And frankly, you're going to want to be fudging some number anyway if your climactic fight scenes include chases or dialogue as well as fisticuffs and shootouts.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat May 26, 2018 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

If you're making a new game, you have to re-evaluate what stats and skills you have based on expected character needs. Skills like Diving and Parachuting are only worth considering if you intend to tell some very specific stories. Strength and Willpower are essentially joke stats in SR4 for a host of reasons - but a game that was entirely about psychic detectives mind blasting each other could have Willpower be a thing people cared about. You probably want about 6 stats, but which 6 stats is totally dependent on how you intend to divide narrative competencies between characters.

Skills is an even more contingent concept. There is nothing inherently wrong with having 6 skills or 46 skills - you just have to scale the amount of skill points people so that characters are acceptably competent without being all identical. And you have to scale individual skill broadness to the amount of skills you have such that putting a skill point here or there is a defensible life choice. The common pitfall with skill splitting is that if you end up with skills that make having other skills pointless, players will end up either taking the redundant skills for flavor reasons and be mad that their character is strictly worse than a character who diversified, or they won't and then they'll be mad that their character has unthematic and inexplicable gaps in competence (example: you have a Rifles skill and then you don't need the Shotgun skill because you can buy rifles instead of shotguns). The common problem with lumping is that players will end up wanting to do different things that end up requiring the same skill and thus end up stepping on each other's toes without meaning to (example: if both sneaking and disguise are under Stealth, you could imagine a character whose theme was that they were an actor and a character whose theme was that they were a ninja both wanting to max the Stealth skill - and then those characters are interchangeable despite having very different concepts). Finding a sweet spot will depend on what character concepts you intend to support.

Image Image
These are both characters from GI Joe, and if the respective players were told that their characters had identical stat lines they would probably not want to play.

As for combat turns, I favor combat turns that last from 10 to 60 seconds. The only things that matter in how long a combat turn takes is how much physical distance characters can walk during one and how many combat rounds pass before responses or battlefield evolutions can happen. Combat rounds in single digits of seconds are simply far too short, and character movement doesn't really get ridiculous until combat rounds are going for over a minute. Remember that a boxing match is a series of 3 minute fights and that the sandstorm scene in Fury Road is 5 minutes long. At 5 seconds, that's sixty combat rounds to track. Fucking ugh.

-Username17
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Ten second, or twenty second combat rounds sounds like they would be easy to adjust, and actions in SR 4th feel a little too compressed to have fit inside the time period either way.

Adjusting stats and skills for the setting is going to be something that will take longer to decide. The setting is set in dieselpunk, essentially 20s/30s time period, so while firearms are not as advanced as they are in Shadowrun, they still will probably beat melee a good deal of the time unless I tweak the system and provides ways to help negate melees issues, such as giving better gap-closers, ranged defense, etc.

Willpower can probably be made to be a better stat. The setting has the background of being an old battleground for cosmic beings, all of whom ended up dying. As a result this is how they get the magic-equivalent, due to exposure to the energies produced by those deaths still flowing through the local solar system, and through using mineral/chemicals enriched by those energies as fuel. This has the side-effect of also attracting all kinds of entities to come and get a piece of the pie. Most of these operate as psychics, so willpower would come in handy with them, as well as some other parts I still need to flesh out.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, I mean, obviously you might as well do whatever the hell you want in the name of game balance, but firearms have been pretty mature for a long, long time now and people were mostly just figuring out what form factor is right for warfare back then while pistols and sport rifles were pretty much sorted. If you shot me twice in the chest with an old-school m1911 my last words might be ".45 ACP is stupid heavy" but I'd still be way dead.
mlangsdorf
Master

Post by mlangsdorf »

saithorthepyro wrote: On combat turns: How long do you think they should be? And how would you adjust actions to match? I was thinking of extending to five second turns and maybe revise actions a little, maybe allow a complex and simple or three simples, although that might break combat some.
I went with 15 seconds for my rewrite, and I think going with 20 seconds would have been better. You want each turn to be long enough that you can reasonably expect the cops to show up before the end of combat, and a fairly long RPG combat lasts 10-12 turns. With 15 second turns, a long combat is 2-3 minutes, but with 20 second turns, it's 3-4 minutes.

You don't need to adjust the number of actions. Outside of some rare instances, people spend a lot of time in combat just evaluating what it is going on and making plans. The current action scheme is fine for that.

You do need to adjust movement rates, but most combat movement is going to be short spurts from cover to cover while evaluating where to move next. People will be able to sprint really far when no one is shooting them - 100+ meters for healthy operatives carrying light gear - but that's a good thing, because it means the rent-a-cops on the other side of the mall can actually show up to the fight.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Whipstitch wrote:Yeah, I mean, obviously you might as well do whatever the hell you want in the name of game balance, but firearms have been pretty mature for a long, long time now and people were mostly just figuring out what form factor is right for warfare back then while pistols and sport rifles were pretty much sorted. If you shot me twice in the chest with an old-school m1911 my last words might be ".45 ACP is stupid heavy" but I'd still be way dead.
My understanding was that LMSD damage kept the likelihood of guns killing people and away from padded sumo, but also made it so that the damage rules actually work with bigger and smaller than normal combatants. Also, wasn't Double Tap a separate problem?
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I was mostly just making a joke about how '30s tech levels are still waaaay in favor of firearms because guns were already a well-developed technology. People may be more heavily armed in Shadowrun than today but that's mostly because body armor and crime are ubiquitous, not because SR small arms are described as being all that terribly advanced. So sure, you're stuck using plain jane .45 ACP or .38 special instead of ExEx in 1938 but that's not a big deal when kevlar hasn't been invented yet.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Whipstitch wrote:I was mostly just making a joke about how '30s tech levels are still waaaay in favor of firearms because guns were already a well-developed technology. People may be more heavily armed in Shadowrun than today but that's mostly because body armor and crime are ubiquitous, not because SR small arms are described as being all that terribly advanced. So sure, you're stuck using plain jane .45 ACP or .38 special instead of ExEx in 1938 but that's not a big deal when kevlar hasn't been invented yet.
True. Although there is armor. Magic integrated with tech is a thing in this setting, so enchanting and other methods are on the table. And it is dieselpunk, so power armor is a thing. Not to mention creatures/race that would get natural armor. Most weapons that are easily available are bolt-action, with semi-auto beginning to gain a bigger market. Automatic weapons smaller than a LMG are just beginning to see production in the setting. Most of the more esoteric energy and magic weapons are either single shot or bolt-action as well.

A question more about SR in general, but people talk about the absurd number of dice that you sometimes see rolled in it. Was switching to hits on a 4+ ever in consideration to try and reduce that issue?
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

saithorthepyro wrote:Was switching to hits on a 4+ ever in consideration to try and reduce that issue?
Doubt it since it doesn't really affect that issue. I think the biggest reason for "fixed TN variable pool" is the question of how hard it is to adjuncate.
With the previous system you needed some fierce combinatorics, so setting TNs on the fly is hard.
With the new system you just need to divide dicepool size by 3/multiply Threshold by 3 to know what Threshold they'll make on average/how large the dicepool has to be to usually make that test
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Trill wrote:
saithorthepyro wrote:Was switching to hits on a 4+ ever in consideration to try and reduce that issue?
Doubt it since it doesn't really affect that issue. I think the biggest reason for "fixed TN variable pool" is the question of how hard it is to adjuncate.
With the previous system you needed some fierce combinatorics, so setting TNs on the fly is hard.
With the new system you just need to divide dicepool size by 3/multiply Threshold by 3 to know what Threshold they'll make on average/how large the dicepool has to be to usually make that test
Sorry, I meant more for unopposed tests where you have a fixed TN to roll against. It wouldn't really fix opposed tests, which is the majority of combat, so that would either have to be changed, or yeah just left alone. Although I do wonder if switching to passive defense values for soak and defense would be viable.

My apologies about the mistakes on rules, I'm still reading through the 4th edition rulebook because of time constraints, and the last time I played SR was 5th edition five years ago, a time before I really knew internet forums existed, or that 4th edition was better. All I really knew was the it was made by the company that the brother of my mom's former roomate worked for.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*le sigh*
In SR3, you rolled either attribute for some tests, or your skill level in dice plus available dice from an appropriate pool.
There was combat pool, hacking pool, task pool, magic pool and driving pool basically.
Furthermore, you could increase the ammount of dice you rolled for some skills or attribute rolls using certain cyberware and bioware implants.
All in all, it was very very rare to see anybody rock up with the ability to actually roll 20+ dice.
The biggest exception to this was the damage reduction roll, because, as a troll, you could, pretty reliably, get that to go way past 20 dice. But that was a very specialized and only one certain roll tank built that could be circumvented by all sorts of things.

And somebody thought no, that will not do. That is clearly OP, we have to ner . . no not nerf, FIX IT!
And they tried.
And they failed.
They made Trolls basically unplayable in SR4 and 5 for the things you would want a Troll (melee/bruiser/tank/heavy weapons guy) And instead made elves better in all of those.
More through accident than design, they made Trolls the superhuman athletes that magical adeps should be looking at the fluff.

And they ended up not with less rolled dice, but with more rolled dice.
20+ dice pool to roll came to be the de facto standard for the main profession one should expect of a character. Because you needed to make up for the fact that you could not lower the TN for your rolls and thus needed to make sure that you had more dice to roll to make sure you got the hits back that you lost with the 4/5/6 fixed TN change.

Then came SR5 and with it Limits. And again, it was an attempt to make people roll a smaller number of dice. And again, it was a baindaid fix on a leaking submarine in the mariana trench and it did diddly squat nothing of course. The Dice pools grew again so you could reliably hit your limits with your rolled hits, even if it meant rolling 30 dice and wasting 20 of those.

The Point where i will admit the variable TN system broke was with people learning to basically not care about their ammount of rolled dice, but rather than how to reliably push down the TN needed for hits. 8 to 10 dice is plenty, almost too much already, when you can have a TN of 2 for most things.

And of course, this was mostly the case for combat. Something TROLLS were mostly king at in SR3. And again we come back to certain people not liking Trolls being the combat monsters they were meant to be and bitched, moaned, whined and complained about it untill the people responsible for this stuff were fed up with it and wanted to silence those voiced.

Of course, there were also ways around this problem in SR3 . . it is just that nobody chose to use those ways.
Why? Same problem why a tanky built is technically more of a liability for the rest of the characters and even complete world around it than it is usefull.
Because it means the other characters get bigger problems because the problems have to be made to take into account the monster tank. And even if you hit the monster tank troll character with an anti tank missle in some cases the troll would remain standing, if badly wounded . . while everybody around him in the explosion radius basically just keeled over dead . .

Same problem with the lowered TN.
You had to make stuff so difficult that the one with the most systems mastery and generally lowest TNs still got challenged.
But that meant that people/characters who did not have the required systems mastery and lowered TNs basically could do fuck all because THEIR TNs increased from the normal into the double digits while the optimized character more or less went from his lowered TNs to slightly above what would have been the norm . .

Granted, if you did play a character for years and on a regular basis and got to upgrade him semi regularly/often, you could increase skills and numbers of dice rolled theoretically to infinity . . same as with magic and initiation.
And of course, that could not stand!
Mundanes having close to the same possibilities to the magic users? THE NERVE!

But as i said, most characters started with about 10 dice max to roll in their main skill and then could, if needed, add up to another 10 dice from an applicable pool . .
So ironically, the game that made the FISTFULLS OF D6 MEME a thing that exists was the one with the comparatively least ammount of dice rolled.

Also, of course, there were many many many more rolls to be made in SR3, so people rolled dice more often.
Which certain idiots at CGL got confused with the number of dice rolled as well.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sat May 26, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Your SR3 blindspot remains annoying.

Let's go over this again: fixed target numbers didn't ruin trolls, ditching the proportional damage system did. Variable target numbers were fucking stupid and if it weren't for your nostalgia their death would go unmourned. And no, you don't need variable target numbers to move to proportional damage. You can do that with thresholds instead and it's much, much easier to ballpark your odds of success that way.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat May 26, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No no, the fixed TNs did not kill Trolls for Combat.
The fucking with the Attributes did that.
No more ways to actually raise the Body Stat.
Combat-Skills not being linked to STR but AGI instead, so to an Attribute that Trolls i think get a -1 in? From an Attribute where they got, depending on Meta-Variant, a +3 to +5 in.

I like variable TNs better than the fixed TNs, but i do acknowledge that, technically, the former is inferior to the latter. It is just a matter of personal taste due to years and years of SR3 played and basically only a few sessions of SR4 to see if our group could want to wrap our heads around it.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Just to get a list of things to data-mine further for ideas, to my understanding this is the ranking of 4e supplements

-Street Magic: Good
-Augmentation: Good if niche
-Unwired: Garbage, and I don't need it anyway.
-Runner's Companion: Half good, half bad, most of the player options are terrible
-Arsenal: Decent iirc

Are there any other splats I should throw onto that list?

Edit: Actually, hacking I can probably put in to a degree. It's mostly schizo-tech, with dieslpunk robots, so those and brain-hacking could be viable as a field of magic on the technology side.
Last edited by saithorthepyro on Sun May 27, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.