Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Stahlseele wrote:Locust is Robotech though, if i remember correctly.
Nope. Locust is from Crusher Joe. The rest of this stuff from this series is tanks and fighters and doesn't matter much.

There are 5 designs (of 7) from Fang of the Sun: Dougram. The Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine, Thunderbolt and Battlemaster. But the original owners don't seem to give a shit, and I believe it was ruled that HG couldn't sue on their behalf, so they're staying in.

There are 9 designs from Robotech, that could be used, but according to the list of 38 mechs supposedly in the game at launch, only the Marauder and Warhammer were on the list. The Catapult K2 (dual PPC variant) and Black Knight are taking their place (the K2 was actually functional in the beta for people who dug in and tweaked files.)

The Raven was also pulled, as the electronic warfare thing wasn't working out just yet, so game seems to going into its final phase before launch with 7 lights, 11 mediums, 9 heavies and 9 assaults, not including variants, of there were lots in the beta files.
But i thought the MWO Models used and made by old pal Alex were different enough to be safe, after all, MWO has been using and selling, them for years by now . .
That was the argument, but it doesn't actually stop HG from filing suit to make the argument that it doesn't make them different enough, which is essentially what happened.

Personally... looking at them side by side, it doesn't even seem like a completely bad faith argument to make that claim. Which is odd, because HG is way more litigious than the other folks that could be involved and the Wolverine and Locust particularly are far more significantly changed.

Anyway the discussion is on their forums here (their forum often doesn't play nice with mobile):
https://community.battletechgame.com/fo ... 13?page=91
basically they aren't going to talk about it, but the Docket change is basically an Amended Complaint from HG due next week, Piranha Games move for Summary Judgement was struck, Trial is set for February 2019 (with a bunch of deadlines for motions, orders, conferences, etc).

So by holding back the Robotech stuff (and doing themselves a favor by not talking about it beyond 'these two mechs are out'), they can release the game this year, and add them back in later once the lawsuit is finally fucking resolved. It may well be that PG will push for a summary judgement again once HG's amended complaint is in the system- theory is the summary judgement push was struck because the judge forced HG to revise their complaint, so a summary judgement no longer made sense. (And as far as I can tell, no one who can talk about it knows what the details of the amended version are).
Last edited by Voss on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Hrm, i still get those designs mixed up <.<

Meh, i still hope it will have full steam workshop support.
The battletech community can be amazing at getting shit done.
See the MWLL Mod for Crysis Wars.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Stahlseele wrote:Hrm, i still get those designs mixed up <.<

Meh, i still hope it will have full steam workshop support.
The battletech community can be amazing at getting shit done.
See the MWLL Mod for Crysis Wars.
I suspect it will, but from what I saw of beta coverage in december, it's very easily moddable. The global constants are a single text file (which one guy opened while recording), and the folks I was watching had little problem enabling mechs and variants that weren't officially available in the game files, or tweaking or adding weapons, changing range, armor and speed values and so on.

Only real stumbling blocks were when weapon hardpoints mismatched because they didn't have an official fit of the weapon type in a specific location, or like the Stalker, whose model wasn't in the beta files (defaulted to a glowing Atlas instead)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

That sounds very good.
I guess it may be hours, or days at best, until somebody goes and adds Mechcommander 1 and 2 Models into the game.
Or maybe from that aborted Mechwarrior:Tactics game.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Stellaris 2.0 with the Apocalypse DLC dropped.
Aaaand there go all the mods again.

Seriously, 49 Pages of changelog x.x

BUT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnDLT5uFrVM
The Modding teams behind the 2 biggest Total Conversion Mods (Star Trek: New Horizon and Star Wars - A Galaxy at War) have joined forces and are working on something probably epic in proportion.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

Has anyone here played Kingdom Come: Deliverance? The gameplay I've watched makes it look really generic and boring (and with more bugs than a Bethesda title), but it's everywhere and I feel like I'm missing something.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Its hype to try and disguise a subpar game, sorta like Overwatch.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Kingdom Come: Deliverance's success is a product of the culture wars and the sort of wingnut welfare you can get from consumers for accusing Angela Merkel of harboring ISIS on Twitter.

More specific to the game itself, there was at some point a question about whether or not the game would include people of color, and the lead developer went on an inflammatory "watch me shove it to the SJW's" rant about historical accuracy in his videogame about a blacksmith's orphan getting entangled in a royal conspiracy to decide the fate of the throne. Regardless of how you feel about historical accuracy, artistic vision, and inclusivity, it was blatant that to him it was an opportunity to rant about sticking it to the liberals, and, well, after that bit of virtue-signalling how could a certain kind of people just not buy it? And that is enough to get the ball rolling on these sorts of things; after all, here you are wondering why everyone else bought it.

A lot of the things that go viral these days are the product of a semi-organized movement or the entirely predictable result of various social media platforms' algorithms.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The creator feels Poland (poland right?) has been cucked by the libs running the EU too long so he has a lot of personal anger about it. Was it Kotaku that made a condescending article about ethnicities int he game first, or did the guy already go on a long twitter rant that drew attention like pooping yourself attracts flies

Other than that it's... well it goes through the motions of realism but I can't say it's a great fighting game. I do German Longsowrd, Kendo, boxing, jiujitsu, etc. "real fighting" has timing and a thought process more like Street Fighter III for me, Kingdom Come is more like driving and parking a car aggressively.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

So back in August Stalh and Whip mentioned the Secret of Mana reboot, anyone grabbed that on PC yet and is it worth it or should I just stick to a SNES emulator when I get that itch?
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Daniel Vavra is Czech.

What actually happened is someone saw a Tumblr where people were talking about whether or not there might have been historical basis for non-white NPC's in Kingdom Come's setting, and there are entire internet communities dedicated to sharing screenshots of that sort of thing as evidence of the dirty SJW agenda to force the white man to pee sitting down. Eventually that hateboner circlejerk got large enough to attract the attention of journalists, who went WTF look at these people lose their shit over this, and Danial Vavra himself, who went full-on Twitter tilt with a totally not racist rant about how (among other things) if black people want to be in videogames they should just make their own. Which is an argument that has always rung hollow, for obvious reasons, but is almost comically poignant to be reminded of in the wake of Black Panther, which much of the exact same crowd of people attempted to review-bomb because it had a black creative team, a black cast, and was about black people.

I find that if someone is arguing passionately for the exclusion of certain groups from media, there is a very, very small chance they mean what they are saying and a very, very high chance they just hate seeing those groups in media but aren't willing to say so openly. And so minorities aren't allowed in because of whatever random ass excuses someone can come up with ("historical accuracy," the protagonist whispers quietly to the camera after chugging his healing potion) and if minorities do make it in then their mere existence is the liberal politicization of mainstream culture being shoved down their throats.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Pariah Dog
Get an emulator.
The Remake is a buggy piece of crap it seems.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I picked up Wasteland 2 in the newest Humble Bundle. When I saw the "Made with Unity" symbol, I assumed it was going to be as buggy as a Bethesda game.

It doesn't sound like it's quite that bad, but the frequency of bugs in Unity games, and the number of long-lasting bugs makes me wonder if this is the year Unity gets known for being worthless. Maybe they'll get their shit together, maybe they'll go away, or maybe it will turn out to be usable if you know what you're doing. Either way, I've got a few games that I want to play that are tied to Unity (Battletech and Starcrawlers off the top of my head). It's not a good sign.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Wasteland 2 is a blast.
I heavily backered that and i did not regret it even once.
Unity is an ENGINE. It's what people make with it that determines the result.
The Shadowrun Returns Game Series is also Unity. And i think so is X-COM 2, but i am not sure about that.

I have not found any Bugs in Wasteland 2 i can remember . .
So either there were none or they were minor enough to ignore.
And i played on release and there have been patches since then.

The Battletech Game looks . . i'll be honest with you, i do not like the deviations from the TT Rules, but otherwise it looks pretty good as of right now.

I am only speaking from 2nd hand knowledge though, because i am not an alpha/beta tester for that one.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Iduno wrote:makes me wonder if this is the year Unity gets known for being worthless.
That was last year. These days, people will give serious pause to even trying out a free game if it's made in Unity, because:
A) The good ones tend to use the premium paid Unity version that doesn't start with "MADE IN UNITY", meaning you're less likely to know they're Unity games, whereas the shitty ones are almost always free ones that let you know up-front.
and B) even taking that into consideration, they are mostly bad in a variety of ways.

So now you have devs saying "Try the game out before you judge it. Don't blame the engine, blame the (many many) individual games! You can't know my game is going to be as bad as all these other ones, and I'm sure you have infinite time and money to keep throwing at these to find out!" and you have players saying "I literally will not touch a game made in Unity. If your game is so good that it's worth buying, remake the whole thing in Unreal engine or whatever." and you have Unity saying "We still have money right? Great, keep going. Also why is our reputation so bad?" And you probably have Jim Sterling calling them a bunch of cSKELETON WARRIORS!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

Yeah, at this point it's pretty hard to take seriously any game that has a Unity splashscreen. On the other hand, I basically have given up on buying games day one, so I'm always reading reviews/watching gameplay before I buy anyway. I don't want to get surprised after I spend my (very little) money. This is why I miss demos, dammit.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No but Seriously:
Wasteland 2 is great, if that kind of game is what you want and expect to play.

The Campaign is pretty big, the sidequests are a bit few and far between sometimes, but when there are some, it's mostly not just go there, look, go there look, come back and tell me about your travels.

And Unity is the engine for isometric turn based games nowadays.
It does everything you want it to do and is not too expensive, even in the premium variant.
It is a simple and robust engine for exactly that kind of game.
For real time 3D you want something entirely different of course.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Furi was cocaine to me for months and that was made in Unity.

'course I don't really go in for buying games without a recommendation.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Cuphead was made in Unity.

Unity's reputation is Pavlovian stupidity. Most free games are trash, because if they weren't then they wouldn't be free. I suppose it's been long enough now that most people have forgotten the era of Newgrounds and flash, and even that was better curated than Steam so you never really had to see the worst of it. But free games in Unity tell you they were made in Unity, so the lesson is easy to learn even though it's the wrong one; the real takeaway is that free things are almost always worth what you paid for them.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Many good paid games, especially puzzles, have the Unity splash screen. Indie creators don't see the problem with crediting tools they use, AND the revenue cap on the free version is $200k / year, so paying feels like a waste of money.

Free games, however, splash screen or no splash screen, cost time. Free games known to be great include a handful of originals (Heroine's Quest, Dwarf Fortress, some roguelikes), "open" remakes, and earlier free versions of commercial games (N, La-Mulana; but you're still better off playing commercial remakes). Other than that, it's a wasteland. Actually going and digging in the trash for diamonds is not a sound financial decision. Specifically Unity free games are badly optimized so even if you're dirt poor in a third-world country with a 14-year-old PC, you won't play them because they won't run on your hardware.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

DSMatticus wrote:Most free games are trash, because if they weren't then they wouldn't be free.
I'm not talking about games that are free to buy (like basically every Flash game), I'm talking about games that were made with the free version of Unity. They still typically charge you money for them, no matter how bad they might be.

And yeah, for consumers the solution is basically "add it to Wishlist or note Interest, watch gameplay footage and ideally a proper LP, and get the opinions of a bunch of people before buying anything."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Axebird wrote:Has anyone here played Kingdom Come: Deliverance? The gameplay I've watched makes it look really generic and boring (and with more bugs than a Bethesda title), but it's everywhere and I feel like I'm missing something.
You're missing nothing. Not only is it a fairly buggy mess with a fairly sad combat system, but for a 'deep historical RPG' set in Bohemia and (blah blah intro exposition assault), its very bland English McBritishson everywhere. The place names are sort of authentic, but the voice actors will literally mumble through them because they're unfamiliar, and there is no quality control of the VAs at all. 'oh MY god, How Wounded youare sir, how DREADful' is literally the kind of crap you should expect.

I was expecting almost excessive weeabo levels of cultural name dropping for food, weapons and all sorts of shit. Instead its the story of a sad little wanker from Surrey who failed his O-levels.

I've no idea how or why its getting so much youtube coverage, unless people aren't disclosing they're being paid for promotions again.

Also, Wasteland 2 was shit. Not for unity, but for mechanics that fail to meet the very basics of Fallout Tactics from 17 years ago, and utter shit dialogue that doesn't keep up with the low standards set by that 'gem.' Except for the literal pages and pages of exposition summaries (delivered multiple paragraphs at a time) of Wasteland 1, to remind you what devoted fans of the original the developers are.
Last edited by Voss on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Also the game is literally just you playing someone else's RPG character. You may sort of get to make decisions some of the time, but every conversation and half the shit becomes a cutscene where you are just the specific character that they wrote that is really specific.

For example, some guy asks you to go grave robbing, and your choices are:

1) Act super affronted by the concept of touching a dead body and refuse.
2) Act super affronted by the concept of touching a dead body and refuse, but like, agree without understanding what is being asked because you are stupid.
3) Act super affronted by the concept of touching a dead body and not explicitly refuse.

Then you go to dig up the grave, come back, and act REALLY AFFRONTED that this guy who asked you to dig up a grave is asking you to steal.

There's either a complete 100% disconnect between what you do when you control and what your character says in talking, or alternatively, there isn't, but only because you have a mandatory quest that you have to accomplish that is entirely dependent on some dumb thing that your character wants to do.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Stahlseele wrote:Stellaris 2.0 with the Apocalypse DLC dropped.
Aaaand there go all the mods again.

Seriously, 49 Pages of changelog x.x

BUT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnDLT5uFrVM
The Modding teams behind the 2 biggest Total Conversion Mods (Star Trek: New Horizon and Star Wars - A Galaxy at War) have joined forces and are working on something probably epic in proportion.
Thanks for the recomendation, btw.!
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Chrono Trigger has come to Steam.

Edit: And the reviews shit on it for being another poor port.
Last edited by Pariah Dog on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.