Customizing the board with some of the old bb features?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Customizing the board with some of the old bb features?

Post by Cynic »

I'm not at all proficient in how phpbb works but is it possible to have a column on the main page of the boards that shows the last topic posted in a forum and the last update in that topic.

If not, oh well. However, if possible it really does help me from just constantly trolling the forum at work. You know, actually helping me get work done (cough)
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Heh. I know the feeling.

This question has come up on the new Nifty as well. We've been coming through the available mods to the software, trying to find things like Quick Reply and so on. This is a feature that's on our list of things to search for. We'll be happy to share whatever we find with fbmf, if he's interested in installing them here.
Sma
Master

Post by Sma »

There's a link on the right side called "view new posts since last visit" that should provide some of the functionality you're looking for.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Is it possible to import the old blue theme as well?
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Blue theme: seconded. Also, I clicked "new topic" at first to make this reply. Taking this button outta the threads would be a very good thing to do, if possible.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Cielingcat wrote:Is it possible to import the old blue theme as well?
This is definitely possible. Nifty, for example, has the same color scheme.
Bigode wrote:Also, I clicked "new topic" at first to make this reply. Taking this button outta the threads would be a very good thing to do, if possible.
I don't know if that's possible or not; I know I've made the same mistake on another phpBB forum I frequent.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Getting the ignore list back would be awesome.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Jacob_Orlove wrote:Getting the ignore list back would be awesome.
That's come up on Nifty as well. So it's definitely a plug-in we'll be looking around for in the next week or two.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

How about the newest post button on the LEFT side instead of the RIGHT? I mean, c'mon, I'm not old here, but it's like totally on the opposite side of the screen.

The fact that the bb uses the old widths of the internet (its great on 640, okay on 800, kinda wide on 1040, and you know what? Damn undreadable on my 1680... Not that I make it that wide. o-o

-Crissa
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Zherog wrote:
Jacob_Orlove wrote:Getting the ignore list back would be awesome.
That's come up on Nifty as well. So it's definitely a plug-in we'll be looking around for in the next week or two.
Any luck on this so far?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Not as of yet. I'll ask Nifty management if they have found one.

Game On,
fbmf
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Importing old signatures? Not possible?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

fbmf wrote:Not as of yet. I'll ask Nifty management if they have found one.

Game On,
fbmf
My search-fu is weak like a ninja, but as of yet I've been unable to locate a mod for phpBB that does this.
sigma999 wrote:Importing old signatures? Not possible?
If you're looking to have more than one sig, that's not possible. Is there a reason you would need an import for your sig rather than just taking the few minutes necessary to copy/paste? Is there something I'm missing?
You can't fix stupid.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

We had the option to save many more into the account in the old site.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

That doesn't exist in phpBB; you can only have one sig. As far as I know, BbSuckAss is the only forum software that has multiple sigs.
You can't fix stupid.

Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Zherog wrote:That doesn't exist in phpBB; you can only have one sig. As far as I know, BbSuckAss is the only forum software that has multiple sigs.
Rightly so, I'd say - why bother with a pile of them? But the one thing I miss from "SuckAss" is the excellent search (well, at least it worked excellently for a small forum, while not even that can be said from here ...).

On another matter, is there any way to make the forum display more posts per page?
Last edited by Bigode on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Bigode wrote:
Zherog wrote:That doesn't exist in phpBB; you can only have one sig. As far as I know, BbSuckAss is the only forum software that has multiple sigs.
Rightly so, I'd say - why bother with a pile of them? But the one thing I miss from "SuckAss" is the excellent search (well, at least it worked excellently for a small forum, while not even that can be said from here ...).
Search here can sort of be fixed. The problem is that phpBB maintains a huge ass table for searching - essentially, it has one record for every word in a post - and we didn't load that table during the conversion. There's a process to load it, but it takes the better part of a day to run, and doesn't have "incremental commits" in the script, which means that if the script needs 24 hours to run and it dies after 23 hours 59 minutes, we'd have to start from the beginning.

Honestly, we were expecting Google and such to be all over indexing the site; crawlers from Google and Yahoo were both very active on the old forums, so we made a (bad) assumption that they'd be all over the place here, too.
On another matter, is there any way to make the forum display more posts per page?
I think this is possible. Let me check on Nifty's admin page to be sure though. I'll edit in info...

edit: Yes, both posts per page and threads per page can be set in the Admin console. Fbmf -- if you want to make this change and need help finding it, let me know.
Last edited by Zherog on Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I would really love it if the ignore list could make its way back asap.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Surgo wrote:I would really love it if the ignore list could make its way back asap.
And if not, could we maybe disable image posting somehow?
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Jacob_Orlove wrote:
Surgo wrote:I would really love it if the ignore list could make its way back asap.
So seconded.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Jacob_Orlove wrote:
I keep searching for an ignore feature (because I think it prevents a ton of problems), but I haven't found anything.

As for controlling images, can you give me a better idea of what you want to do? If I have a better idea what you'd like to accomplish, I can search the MOD database to see what's out there; of course, the decision to install or not is entirely up to fbmf.

I have a Firefox plugin that allows me to block images - either a specific image, or I can use wildcards to block from an entire site. For example, I've used it here to block tzor's sig image and Crissa's avatar image. That plugin is AdBlock Plus, for those who are interested in that.
You can't fix stupid.

Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

I'd like either of these two:

1) disable the [img] tag.

2) put some kind of option in our user profile to let us selectively disable the [img] tag (and, ideally, choose whether we want to see Avatars and Signatures or not too).

The first is probably much easier (should just be an option in the admin control panel), but if there's a mod to allow the second, that would be awesome.
Last edited by Jacob_Orlove on Thu May 01, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Jacob_Orlove wrote:I'd like either of these two:

1) disable the [img] tag.

2) put some kind of option in our user profile to let us selectively disable the [img] tag (and, ideally, choose whether we want to see Avatars and Signatures or not too).

The first is probably much easier (should just be an option in the admin control panel), but if there's a mod to allow the second, that would be awesome.
The first is definitely easier. You're correct that it's just an option in the control panel.

For the second, I know I've seen a mod that allowed a user to control whether or not they saw sigs; I think it also allowed you to control avatars. I don't recall seeing one that controlled images as a whole, though. I can look.
You can't fix stupid.

Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Zherog wrote:The first is definitely easier. You're correct that it's just an option in the control panel.

For the second, I know I've seen a mod that allowed a user to control whether or not they saw sigs; I think it also allowed you to control avatars. I don't recall seeing one that controlled images as a whole, though. I can look.
I'd have to check which boards this specifically applies to (they may not be phpbb), but on several other boards, I enabled some option in my user profile that makes all pictures display as links, rather than images.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

How about a limit on the size of pictures? It could script to give a size tag to something, like the flash does.

-Crissa