The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Minor game stuff from around the web for commentary...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thaluikhain
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does it have to be a modern gun? Captain Kirk made a gun in half an episode while being chased by a Gorn.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thaluikhain wrote:
Does it have to be a modern gun? Captain Kirk made a gun in half an episode while being chased by a Gorn.

You might be able to get away with a flintlock if you suck the GM's penis hard enough.

However, the requirement that it work reliably kind of makes Kirk's bamboo cannon non-viable.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When WoTC's publishing schedule is so scant, that a Deodorant company can release 5e D&D Classes and it becomes noteworthy among social media gaming groups. The real irony is that the class is meant for an earlier edition, it's more of a 3e class than a 5e class.

Old Spice's "The Gentleman" (looks like a sort-of Bard imho): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mqawllBh142wrtTUuKtR5zpKHo0as6Ik/view

https://nerdist.com/dungeons-and-dragons-gentleman-class-old-spice/

https://twitter.com/OldSpice/status/961362988019064832?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnerdist.com%2Fdungeons-and-dragons-gentleman-class-old-spice%2F

Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Dogbert
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Judging__Eagle wrote:
The real irony is that the class is meant for an earlier edition, it's more of a 3e class than a 5e class.

Shouldn't it be now a Barbarian?

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, that class... I wonder if someone made it back when 3rd was actually in print, and had it hanging around? That would explain a lot, actually.

Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
nockermensch
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Judging__Eagle wrote:
When WoTC's publishing schedule is so scant, that a Deodorant company can release 5e D&D Classes and it becomes noteworthy among social media gaming groups. The real irony is that the class is meant for an earlier edition, it's more of a 3e class than a 5e class.

Old Spice's "The Gentleman" (looks like a sort-of Bard imho): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mqawllBh142wrtTUuKtR5zpKHo0as6Ik/view

https://nerdist.com/dungeons-and-dragons-gentleman-class-old-spice/

https://twitter.com/OldSpice/status/961362988019064832?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnerdist.com%2Fdungeons-and-dragons-gentleman-class-old-spice%2F

That's totally 3.5 (or, argueably, Pathfinder).

If you wanted any even more proof that WotC completely shat their bed after 3.5e, you need to look no further than this. It's fucking 2018 and when Old Spice's agency decided to go with a "D&D class" ad campaign (and in the process doing their research to avoid community backlash) they went and picked the edition that ended 10 years ago.

Koumei wrote:
After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.

Last edited by nockermensch on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
maglag
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see Climb as class skill so 3.5.

And although I agree it shows that 5e is doing rather poorly, I would bet a big company making their own homebrew would be noteworthy news even when 3rd edition was still being officially supported. This is can you imagine old spice releasing their own Skyrim mod?

Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Mord
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maglag wrote:
can you imagine old spice releasing their own Skyrim mod?

I'd play that.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a Pathfinder class, I think? Linguistics as a class skill.

FrankTrollman wrote:
If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems like it would be a pain in the butt to get the licensed officiant proposal modifier, since it requires the player to physically bring one to the game.

I mean, sure, some people can get a priest to come down to their D&D game for a +15 modifier, but it seems like a lot of work.

Also, the lack of clear organizational management rules makes the MBA a real mother-may-I skill.

Last edited by hyzmarca on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chamomile
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can the Old Spice marketing team tell the difference between 3.X and 5e? I'm pretty sure which edition this class ended up in is a matter of which edition the local D&D guy happened to play.
Prak
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My personal theory is that someone on the marketing team is a D&D guy and already had this made, and decided to pitch it to the team, possibly because D&D is getting a tad more accepted in the mainstream because of Stranger Things/Gravity Falls/etc. Maybe because they play 3.W/e, maybe because they used to play 3.W/e but don't play anything currently, or whatever.

Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm guessing referencing both Climb and Perception is part of the joke.

radthemad4
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's probably for Pathfinder since it has Linguistics and Stealth. Pathfinder has Climb.
maglag
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're right, plus it mentions skill ranks (PF) instead of skill points (D&D) without 3.X's x4 multiplier at first level.

Considering the "Download this new Old Spice Gentleman Class for the greatest role playing game of all time, which we cannot mention for legal reasons", I'm not sure if an honest mistake or part of the joke or if they're actually serious that they're using Pathfinder rules.

Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion... All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56
Page 56 of 56

Jump to: